Logo for Warren Co, PA, part of PAGenWeb
Warren County, PA, highlighted in map of Pennsylvania
Part of the PAGenWeb Project

Warren County, Pennsylvania, Genealogy

Farmington Township

Map showing Farmington township in Warren county


Home > Townships > Farmington

Farmington Township was formed from Pine Grove Township on October 12, 1853.


Boroughs and Villages

  • Alcorn Corners
  • Babcock Corners
  • Carlson Hill
  • Ellis Corners
  • Fairbanks Corners
  • Jenkins Hill
  • Lander
  • Mahan Corners
  • Marshtown Corners
  • Parker Corners
  • Pond's Corners
  • Preston Corners
  • Putnamville
  • Thompson Hill
  • Wheeler Corners


Church Records

Early History

Family Histories & Biographies


Photographs and Postcards



The links, below, are to the Farmington Township section in the Schenck History where the individual's name first appears; however, many of these pioneers are mentioned numerous times throughout this site. To find these additional entries, use the Find (Ctrl-F) search feature for this page or the Google search box on the Warren County Genealogy homepage to search the entire site.

Pioneers and those who came later...

Those with a * after the name moved away.
  • ALLEN, Jacob
    • ALLEN, Olive (TUPPER), wife of Jacob
    • ALLEN, Zurial, son of Jacob, b. 1822 (see biography)
      • ALLEN, Elizabeth (CRAMER), wife of Zurial
      • ALLEN, Myrtle B., adopted daughter of Zurial
    • ALLEN, Harriet, daughter of Jacob
    • ALLEN, Lydia E., daughter of Jacob
    • ALLEN, Cynthia, daughter of Jacob
  • BALLARD, John W., b. 1821 (see biography)
    • BALLARD, Rachel (MARSH), 1st wife of John
      • BALLARD, Betsey, daughter of John
      • BALLARD, Louisa, daughter of John
      • BALLARD, Nancy, daughter of John
      • BALLARD, Esther, daughter of John
    • BALLARD, Lovina (DEWEY)(KINGSLEY), 2nd wife of John
  • BECK, Martin, b. 1824 (see biography)
    • BECK, Margaret (SCHLICK), wife of Martin, 1823-1884
    • BECK, Eliza, daughter of Martin, b. 1854
    • BECK, Anna, daughter of Martin, 1856-1856
    • BECK, Margaret, daughter of Martin, 1856-1856
    • BECK, Martin, son of Martin, b. 1857
    • BECK, Mary, daughter of Martin, b. 1859
    • BECK, John, son of Martin, b. 1862
  • BISHOP, Chauncey C., 1818-1896, buried Foster Cemetery (see biography)
    • BISHOP, Louisa C. (KNAPP), 1st wife of Chauncey, d. 1871, buried Foster Cemetery (see KNAPP family, below)
      • BISHOP, Luther T., son of Chauncey
      • BISHOP, Hiram J., son of Chauncey, 1849-1918, buried Foster Cemetery
      • BISHOP, Clara P., daughter of Chauncey, 1854-1920 (married Stewart W. PHILO), buried Foster Cemetery
    • BISHOP, Phidelia (ROSS)(SPROTT), 2nd wife of Chauncey
  • BROWN, Hugh, 1760-1845, buried Marshtown Cemetery
  • BROWN, Hugh
    • BROWN, Margaret (BROWN) 1st wife of Hugh
      • BROWN, Thomas, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, John, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, William, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, Sally, daughter of Hugh
    • BROWN, Martha (BURGESS), 2nd wife of Hugh
      • BROWN, Francis, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, Hugh, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, Margaret, daughter of Hugh
      • BROWN, Sally, daughter of Hugh
      • BROWN, Joseph, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, Margaret, daughter of Hugh
      • BROWN, Jane, daughter of Hugh (married 1st Arthur MORGAN, 2nd Thomas TWINING, see below)
      • BROWN, Mary A., daughter of Hugh
      • BROWN, Susan, daughter of Hugh
      • BROWN, Benjamin, son of Hugh
      • BROWN, Fanny, daughter of Hugh
  • BROWN, Paul W., 1834-1906 (see obituary)
    • BROWN, Harriet L. (NEWMAN, see below), wife of Paul, 1837-1927, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • BROWN, Ralph Newman, son of Paul, 1867-1956 (see obituary)
      • BROWN, Etta M. (BURGETT), wife of Ralph, 1867-1960
      • BROWN, Infant son, 1897-1897
      • BROWN, Paul, son of Ralph
      • BROWN, Ira, son of Ralph
  • BROWN, Richard E.
    • BROWN, Laura, wife of Richard
    • BROWN, Agnes (see Samuel GARFIELD, Brokenstraw twp)
  • BURGETT, Capt. Garrett, 1773-1862, buried Foster Cemetery
    • BURGETT, Abigail (ROOT), probable wife of Captain Garrett Burgett; 1777-1873 or 1874, buried Foster Cemetery
    • BURGETT, Peter, son of Garrett, about 1800-1874 (see also Freehold twp)
      • BURGETT, Abigail, daughter of Peter, 1825-1886 (married Harvey COOPER, 1842)
      • BURGETT, John, son of Peter, b. abt 1842
        • BURGETT, Electa (maiden name unknown), wife of John, 1842-1921, buried Foster Cemetery
        • BURGETT, Herman, son of John
        • BURGETT, Bertha, daughter of John
        • BURGETT, Garrett, son of John, b. abt 1872
        • BURGETT, Peter, son of John, 1878-1963, buried Foster Cemetery
      • BURGETT, Ira, son of Peter, 1845-1919, buried Foster Cemetery
        • BURGETT, Addie (DANFORTH), wife of Ira, 1846-1930
        • BURGETT, Etta, b. abt 1867
        • BURGETT, Charles, b. abt 1874
        • BURGETT, Clara S., b abt 1875
  • CADY, William, d. 1848
  • CHAPPEL, Noah, d. 1849, buried Foster Cemetery ...or is he actually buried in the Union Grove Cemetery?
  • CHESTNEY, Alexander, d. 1868
  • CRAMER, Abram
    • CRAMER, Mary (STEWART), wife of Abram
    • CRAMER, Elizabeth, daughter of Abram (married Zurial ALLEN, see above)
  • DUNHAM, James, 1821-1905, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • DUNHAM, Alzina (DALRYMPLE), wife of James, 1823-1906
    • DUNHAM, Medora C., daughter of James
    • DUNHAM, Martha J., daughter of James, d. 1875, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • DUNHAM, William J., son of James
    • DUNHAM, Chancy, son of James, 1850-1880, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • DUNHAM, Lowell, son of James
    • DUNHAM, Belle, daughter of James
    • DUNHAM, Carlton, son of James
    • DUNHAM, Lena, daughter of James
    • DUNHAM, Robert, son of James
    • DUNHAM, Alice, daughter of James
    • DUNHAM, Edward,son of James (read more)
    • DUNHAM, Frank, son of James
  • EWERS, George
    • EWERS, Emily (FOSTER), wife of George
    • EWERS, Martha A., daughter of George (see Robert MILLER, below)
  • FRANKLIN, Ansell
  • FRAZINE, Henry N.
  • FREW, Hugh *
  • GARDNER, David *
    • GARDNER, Henry, son of David
      • GARDNER, Catherine (RULAND), wife of Henry
      • GARDNER, Diantha, daughter of Henry
      • GARDNER, R. Loren, son of Henry, b. 1847 (see biography)
        • GARDNER, Emma (WHITE), wife of Loren
        • GARDNER, Edith P., daughter of Loren
  • GREGORY, Asa, d. 1856, buried Fairbanks Cemetery
    • GREGORY, Arena (SPENCER), wife of Asa
    • GREGORY, Ezra, son of Asa
    • GREGORY, Lavina, daughter of Asa
    • GREGORY, Uretta, daughter of Asa
    • GREGORY, Betsa or Betsey A., daughter of Asa (married Alexander HOUGHWOT, see below)
    • GREGORY, Charles H., son of Asa (see Brokenstraw twp)
  • HEATON, William
  • HINSDALE, Harmon H., 1816-1885, buried Foster Cemetery
    • HINSDALE, Fanna "Fanny" (HURD), wife of Harmon, 1812-1891, buried Foster Cemetery
    • HINSDALE, Charles, son of Harmon, b. 1841 (see biography)
      • HINSDALE, Eugenia (ROWLAND), wife of Charles
  • HODGES, Robert A., 1829-1917, buried Foster Cemetery (see biography and Sugar Grove twp)
    • HODGES, Melvina (MILES), wife of Robert, 1836-1912, buried Foster Cemetery
  • HOUGHWOT, Daniel
    • HOUGHWOT, Catherine (Stewart), wife of Daniel
    • HOUGHWOT, Alexander, b. 1822 (see biography)
      • HOUGHWOT, Betsey (GREGORY), wife of Alexander (see GREGORY, above; and obituary)
  • JACKSON, Robert R. (see biography)
  • JENKINS, Joseph, 1795-1862, buried Pine Grove Cemetery (see son Theron P. Jenkins biography)
    • JENKINS, Sophronia (WEATHERLY), wife of Joseph, 1806-1885, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
    • JENKINS, Weston, son of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Matilda, daughter of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Almeda, daughter of Joseph (see Noah KNAPP, below)
    • JENKINS, Eldridge, son of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Almira, daughter of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Myron, son of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Rachel, daughter of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Orlinda, daughter of Joseph
    • JENKINS, Theron P., son of Joseph, b. 1846 (see biography)
      • JENKINS, Mary A. (PALMETER), wife of Theron J.
      • JENKINS, Frank F., son of Theron
      • JENKINS, William D., son of Theron
  • JOHNSON, Peter
    • JOHNSON, Christina (JONES), wife of Peter
    • JOHNSON, Ann L., daughter of Peter (married Hance McKITRICK, see below)
  • JOHNSON, Spencer, 1788-1865, buried Union Grove Cemetery
    • JOHNSON, Calvin, son of Spencer
    • JOHNSON, Isaac, son of Spencer
  • KILBEY, Ozam *
  • KNAPP, Deacon Comfort
    • KNAPP, Tarzah (GILLETT), wife of Comfort
    • KNAPP, Hiram, son of Comfort, 1799-1872, buried Foster Cemetery (additional genealogy included with this cemetery entry)
      • KNAPP, Clarissa (BARRETT), wife of Hiram, d. 1837
      • KNAPP, Noah, son of Hiram, 1823-1896, buried Foster Cemetery (see biography)
        • KNAPP, Almeda (JENKINS), wife of Noah, 1829-1917, buried Foster Cemetery (worth a look - includes copy of her obit)
        • KNAPP, Lovisa S., daughter of Noah
        • KNAPP, Joseph J., son of Noah
        • KNAPP, Hiram E., son of Noah, d. 1885
        • KNAPP, Lulie A., daughter of Noah, d. 1893
      • KNAPP, Thomas Manley, son of Hiram, 1824-1911
        • KNAPP, Lorinda (BROWN), wife of Thomas
      • KNAPP, Louisa Clarissa, daughter of Hiram, 1826-1872 (married Chauncey BISHOP, see above)
      • KNAPP, Rosaville Fidelia, daughter of Hiram, 1828-1911
      • KNAPP, Lucy Corintha, daughter of Hiram, 1830-1850, buried Thompson Hill Cemetery
  • MAHAN, John, 1796-1882, buried Foster Cemetery
    • MAHAN, Mercy (BURGETT), wife of John, 1802-1890, buried Foster Cemetery
    • MAHAN, James, son of John, 1823-1911 (see biography)
    • MAHAN, David, son of John
    • MAHAN, William, son of John
    • MAHAN, Peter, son of John
    • MAHAN, Harrison, son of John, 1840-1908 (see obituary, of sorts!)
  • MARSH, Hugh, 1763-1829, buried Marshtown Cemetery (includes biography)
    • MARSH, Hannah (LUDLUM), wife of Hugh, 1764-1848, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • MARSH, Phebe, daughter of Hugh, b. 1806 (married Levi PHILLIPS, see below)
    • MARSH, Ross, son of Hugh
      • MARSH, Esther (DYKE), wife of Ross
      • MARSH, Rachel, daughter of Ross (married John W. BALLARD, see above)
  • MARSH, John, 1767-1842 (brother of Hugh), buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • MARSH, Phebe (ALLEN), wife of John, 1769-1839, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • MARSH, Phebe, daughter of John, b. 1793 (married Cornelius COLE)
    • MARSH, Joseph, son of John, 1795-1881, buried Marshtown Cemetery
      • MARSH, Ruth (SHELDON), 1st wife of Joseph, 1802-1844, buried Marshtown Cemetery (see also SHELDON, below)
        • MARSH, Parthena, daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, Phebe S., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, Miriam L., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, William Sherman, son of Joseph, 1826-1877, buried Marshtown Cemetery (see biography)
          • MARSH, Rosaville (KNAPP), wife of Wm.
          • MARSH, W. Ed., son of Wm.
          • MARSH, Joseph S., son of Wm.
          • MARSH, Frederick S., son of Wm.
          • MARSH, Carrie A., daughter of Wm.
        • MARSH, Nancy P., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, John Allen, son of Joseph, 1832-1881
          • MARSH, Juliett(e) (TRASK), wife of John and daughter of Betsey (KELSEY)(TRASK), 1832-1921, buried Marshtown Cemetery
        • MARSH, Phebe A., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, Joseph L., son of Joseph
        • MARSH, Rachel J., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, Edwin Sheldon, son of Joseph, 1842-1844, buried Marshtown Cemetery
      • MARSH, Betsey (KELSEY) (TRASK), 2nd wife of Joseph, 1809-1867, buried Marshtown Cemetery
        • MARSH, Martha J., daughter of Joseph
        • MARSH, Joseph A., son of Joseph, b. abt 1849
        • MARSH, Betsey A., daughter of Joseph
    • MARSH, Sally, daughter of John
    • MARSH, Nancy, daughter of John (married Jeremiah C. NEWMAN, see below)
    • MARSH, Miriam, daughter of John
  • MARSH, Joseph H., d. 1855, buried Fairbanks Cemetery
  • McKITRICK, Hance, b. 1842 (see biography)
    • McKITRICK, Ann L. (JOHNSON), wife of Hance
  • MILES, Melancthon
  • MILLER, Robert
    • MILLER, Jeanette (TODD), wife of Robert
    • MILLER, Robert E., son of Robert, b. 1839 (see biography)
      • MILLER, Martha A. (EWERS), wife of Robert E.
  • MIX, Horace, Sr., d. 1904, buried Union Grove Cemetery (link includes photo)
    • MIX, Sybil (ROWLEY), 1st wife of Horace, Sr., 1819-1846, buried Union Grove Cemetery as "Sibyl Maria"
    • MIX, Marilla P., 2nd wife of Horace, Sr., 1823-1891, buried Union Grove Cemetery
    • MIX, Chauncey B., son of Horace, 1838-1917, buried Union Grove Cemetery
      • MIX, Esther, wife of Chauncey, b. 1834
      • MIX, William, son of Chauncey, 1862-1883, buried Union Grove Cemetery
      • MIX, Cora, daughter of Chauncey, b. abt 1867
      • MIX, Estelle, daughter of Chauncey, b. abt 1871
      • MIX, Clarence E., son of Chauncey, 1878-1910 (see obituary)
    • MIX, Horace, Jr., son of Horace, b. abt 1841,
      • MIX, Fidelia, wife of Horace, Jr., 1842-1903, buried Foster Cemetery
      • MIX, Alice, daughter of Horace, Jr, 1867-1885
      • MIX, Inez, daughter of Horace, Jr., b. abt 1870
      • MIX, Herbert, son of Horace, Jr. b. abt 1874
    • MIX, Ashbel R., son of Horace, b. 1842 (see also biography)
      • MIX, Sally A.(COOPER), wife of Ashbel, 1845-1918, buried Foster Cemetery
      • MIX, Luvern, son of Ashbel, 1867-1885, buried Foster Cemetery
      • MIX, Emmett, son of Ashbel, b. 1870
      • MIX, Delbert, son of Ashbel, 1883-1884, buried Foster Cemetery
    • MIX, Wesley Hiram, son of Horace, 1847-1915, buried Cherry Hill Cemetery
      • MIX, Mary Jane, wife of Hiram, 1850-1930, buried Cherry Hill Cemetery
      • MIX, Clayton, son of Wesley, b. abt 1872
      • MIX, Gerald, son of Wesley, b. abt 1875
      • MIX, Blanch, daughter of Wesley, b. abt 1877
      • MIX, Bertha, daughter of Wesley, b. abt 1878
    • MIX, Wilber Franklin, son of Horace, 1851-1926, buried Foster Cemetery
    • MIX, Rosina, daughter of Horace, b. abt 1854
  • NEWMAN, Jeremiah C., 1797-1866, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • NEWMAN, Nancy (MARSH), wife of Jeremiah, 1799-1865
    • NEWMAN, William, son of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Nancy Maria, daughter of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Catherine, daughter of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Mary Jane, daughter of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Roxalana, daughter of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Phoebe Ann, daughter of Jeremiah
    • NEWMAN, Harriet L., daughter of Jeremiah (married Paul W. BROWN, see above)
  • NOBBS, William Sr., 1809-1884, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
    • NOBBS, Mary (LAKEMAN), wife of Wm Sr., 1810-1902, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
    • NOBBS, Mary, daughter of Wm Sr.
    • NOBBS, Phillips, son of Wm Sr.
    • NOBBS, Ann, daughter of Wm Sr.
    • NOBBS, Marsh, son of Wm Sr.
    • NOBBS, William C., son of Wm Sr., 1835-1896, buried Pine Grove Cemetery (see biography)
      • NOBBS, Betsey J. (MARSH), wife of Wm. C., 1841-1928, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
      • NOBBS, Irene, daughter of Wm. C.
      • NOBBS, Myrtle, daughter of Wm. C.
      • NOBBS, Emma, daughter of Wm. C.
      • NOBBS, Everett, son of Wm. C.
    • NOBBS, Stephen, son of Wm Sr.
    • NOBBS, Jennette, daughter of Wm Sr.
  • OSBORN, Lewis, d. 1833
  • OSGOOD, Burdett R., d. 1857, buried Fairbanks Cemetery
  • PARKER, Charles, b. 1834 (see biography)
    • PARKER, Sarah J. (KING), first wife of Charles
      • PARKER, Sumner H., son of Charles
      • PARKER, Ramah C., daughter of Charles
    • PARKER, Olive (CLARK), 2nd wife of Charles
  • PECK, Samuel, d. 1883, buried Thompson Hill Cemetery
    • PECK, Clarissa (KNAPP), wife of Samuel, d. 1871, buried Thompson Hill Cemetery
    • PECK, David B., son of Samuel, 1839-1910, buried Foster Cemetery (see biography)
      • PECK, Myra (WHITE), wife of David, 1844-1898, buried Foster Cemetery
      • PECK, Ina D., daughter of David
      • PECK, Clara B., daughter of David
      • PECK, Lizzie J., daughter of David
      • PECK, Samuel G., son of David
    • PECK, George W., son of Samuel
    • PECK, Emily, daughter of Samuel
    • PECK, Comfort, daughter of Samuel
  • PHILLIPS, Levi, 1795-1883 or 84, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • PHILLIPS, Phebe (MARSH), wife of Levi, 1806-1883, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • PHILLIPS, Hiram L., son of Levi
    • PHILLIPS, Nancy, daughter of Levi (married unknown first name STANTON) (read her obituary)
    • PHILLIPS, Rachel, daughter of Levi
    • PHILLIPS, Lorenzo D., son of Levi, 1831-1902, buried Pine Grove Cemetery (see biography)
      • PHILLIPS, Malvina or Milvina (HUDSON), wife of Lorenzo
      • PHILLIPS, Herbert L., son of Lorenzo, 1853-1905, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
      • PHILLIPS, Milton L., son of Lorenzo
    • PHILLIPS, Alonzo I., son of Levi, b. abt 1834
    • PHILLIPS, Mary Jane, daughter of Levi, b. abt 1837
    • PHILLIPS, Pierson C., son of Levi, b. abt 1839-40
    • PHILLIPS, Andrew H. L., son of Levi, 1842-1903, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • PHILLIPS, Phebe Ann, daughter of Levi (married Albert S. DALRYMPLE) (read her obituary)
    • PHILLIPS, Daniel W., son of Levi, b. abt 1848
  • POND, Curtiss, 1782 or 1785-1860, buried Union Grove Cemetery
  • PORTMAN, John
  • PUTNAM, Perry P.
    • PUTNAM, Margaret (McCRAY), wife of Perry
    • PUTNAM, Clara M., daughter of Perry (see Herbert WHITE, below)
  • RATHBUN, Levant *
  • ROBINSON, Elijah, 1802-1882
    • ROBINSON, Caroline (NORTHROP), wife of Elijah, 1811-1877
    • ROBINSON, Delilah, daughter of Elijah, b. 1831
    • ROBINSON, Henry O., son of Elijah, b. 1832
    • ROBINSON, Emily, daughter of Elijah, b. 1834
    • ROBINSON, Solomon A., son of Elijah, 1837-1925, buried in Foster Cemetery
      • ROBINSON, Lottie (JOHNSON), wife of Solomon, 1848-1908, buried in Foster Cemetery
    • ROBINSON, Daniel F., son of Elijah, 1839-1862
    • ROBINSON, Silas S., son of Elijah, 1841-1863
    • ROBINSON, Wellman J., son of Elijah, b. 1843
    • ROBINSON, Estar, daughter of Elijah, 1845-1850
    • ROBINSON, Lucy Matilda, daughter of Elijah, 1847-1941, buried Oakland Cemetery (includes her obituary)
    • ROBINSON, Alzina A., daughter of Elijah, 1850-1868
    • ROBINSON, Zulena, daughter of Elijah, 1853-1920
    • ROBINSON, Pathenia, daughter of Elijah, b. 1856
    • ROBINSON, Isalona, daughter of Elijah, 1858-1911
  • ROWLAND, Carroll *
  • ROWLAND, Silas (brother of Carroll) *
  • ROWLAND, Stephen (brother of Carroll) *
  • SCRANTON, Aaron
    • SCRANTON, Aaron, Jr., son of Aaron
  • SHELDEN, William, 1766-1834
    • SHELDEN, Parthene or Parthenia (SHERMAN), wife of Wm., 1770-1844
    • SHELDEN, Ruth, daughter of Wm. (married Joseph MARSH, see above)
    • SHELDEN, William, son of Wm. *
  • STANFORD, Horatio
    • STANFORD, Sarah E. (MACKRESS), wife of Horatio
    • STANFORD, Worthy, son of Horatio, b. 1845 (see biography)
      • STANFORD, Matilda (JOHNSON), wife of Worthy
  • STANTON, James G., 1788-1865, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • STANTON, Rebecca, wife of James, 1792-1864, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • STANTON, Alexander C., son of James, 1817-1893, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
      • STANTON, Charlotte, wife of Alexander, b. 1823
      • STANTON, Nancy, daughter of Alexander, b. abt 1849
      • STANTON, Marion, son of Alexander, b. abt 1850
    • STANTON, John, son of James, 1827-1912, buried Pine Grove Cemetery
      • STANTON, Juliana A., wife of John, 1835-1926
      • STANTON, Asahel, son of John, b. abt 1859
      • STANTON, John, son of John, b. 1860
    • STANTON, James, son of James, b. abt 1823
      • STANTON, Sophronia, wife of James, b. abt 1830
      • STANTON, Frances E., son of James, b. abt 1848
      • STANTON, Adaline, daughter of James, b. abt 1850
      • STANTON, Alex L., son of James, b. abt 1851
      • STANTON, Sophronia, daughter of James, b. abt 1855
      • STANTON, John, son of James, b. abt 1858
    • STANTON, Walter, son of James, b. abt 1830
  • STURDEVANT, Myron, 1844-1914, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • STURDEVANT, Mary Lovina (DALRYMPLE), wife of Myron, 1848-1916, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • STURDEVANT, Lavern A., son of Myron, 1868-1922, buried Jackson Run Cemetery
    • STURDEVANT, Elmer, son of Myron, d. 1879
  • STUTTS, Jacob
    • STUTTS, Roxilana (NEWMAN), wife of Jacob
    • STUTTS, Jeremiah N., son of Jacob, b. 1821 (see biography)
      • STUTTS, Betsey (SMITH), wife of Jeremiah
  • THOMPSON, Jonathan, d. 1827, buried Fairbanks Cemetery
  • THOMPSON, William
    • THOMPSON, Sally (PALMATER), wife of William
    • THOMPSON, Samuel, son of William, b. 1816 (see biography)
      • THOMPSON, Angeline (PUTNAM), wife of Samuel
  • THOMPSON, William
  • TWINING, Mrs. Jane, b. 1813 (see biography and Jane BROWN, above)
    • 1st husband: Arthur MORGAN, d. 1854
    • 2md husband: Thomas TWINING
  • WHITE, Orange, 1805-1877, buried Foster Cemetery
    • WHITE, (Catherine?) Bethilda (BRAINARD), 1st wife of Orange, d. 1833, buried Foster Cemetery
      • WHITE, Delia, daughter of Orange, d. 1861
    • WHITE, Nancy (ROBBINS), 2nd wife of Orange, 1816-1906, buried Foster Cemetery
      • WHITE, Jay, son of Orange, b. 1837 (see Corydon township)
      • WHITE, Ebenezer, son of Orange
      • WHITE, Otis, son of Orange
      • WHITE, Myra E. or B., daughter of Orange
      • WHITE, Orange, jr., son of Orange
      • WHITE, Emma, daughter of Orange (see R. Loren GARDNER, above)
      • WHITE, Herbert, son of Orange, 1851-1917, buried Foster Cemetery
        • WHITE, Clara M. (PUTNAM), wife of Herbert, 1860-1939, buried Foster Cemetery
        • WHITE, Maggie, daughter of Herbert
        • WHITE, Irwin S., son of Herbert
      • WHITE, Belle, daughter of Orange
      • WHITE, Harry D., son of Orange
  • WILCOX, Daniel F., b. 1839 (see biography)
    • WILCOX, Rose (KIKER), wife of Daniel
  • WRIGHT, Aaron P., 1818-1894, buried Marshtown Cemetery (see biography)
    • WRIGHT, Mary J. (NEWMAN), wife of Aaron, 1830-1916, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • WRIGHT, Ida, daughter of Aaron
    • WRIGHT, Nancy C., daughter of Aaron, b. abt 1849
    • WRIGHT, Mina/Inez, daughter of Aaron, b. abt 1855
    • WRIGHT, Marion A., son of Aaron , b. abt 1857
    • WRIGHT, Louisa, daughter of Aaron, b. abt 1861
    • WRIGHT, Bell, daughter of Aaron, 1863-1864, buried Marshtown Cemetery
    • WRIGHT, Submit, daughter of Aaron, b. abt 1865
    • WRIGHT, Mittie, son of Aaron, 1865-1893, buried Marshtown Cemetery


If you have any Farmington Township genealogy information you wish to share, please email the Warren County coordinator.




Early History

To aid in finding your ancestor, names below are in bold.

Edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887

FARMINGTON township was formed from Pine Grove by an order of the
court confirming the report of commissioners, the date of the order being
October 12, 1853. It lies in the northern tier of townships in the county, and
is bounded north by Chautauqua county, N. Y., east by Pine Grove, south by
Conewango, and west by Sugar Grove. As its name implies, its principal industry
is agriculture, for which it is by nature well adapted, and which attained
its prominence quite early. In earlier times the lumber business predominated,
and the forests sheltered many a saw and shingle-mill, from which the manufactured
products were taken to Russellburg, and thence down the river to the
market. But as soon as the timber was taken from the land, the inhabitants
turned their attention to farming, and discovered as much wealth concealed in
the soil as they had found upon it, though it gave up its hidden treasures more

Early Settlements.— It is not positively known who was the very first inhabitant
of what is now Farmington township, though it is generally and with
reason supposed that Hugh Marsh is entitled to that distinction. From family
records it is ascertained that he immigrated hither from toward the rising sun
(see sketch of William S. Marsh) in 1798, and settled about a hundred rods
south of what is known as Marsh, or Averill Corners, on the farm now owned
by Lorenzo D. Phillips. Hugh Marsh was one of the most prominent of the
early settlers, taking an active interest in the industrial, educational and religious
improvement of the community that grew up about him. He was a
Quaker, and was gifted with all the admirable qualities that have for centuries
been the distinguishing characteristics of that peculiar sect. His intimate connection
with the best interests of the town will be noticed by the reader in the
frequency with which it will be necessary to mention his name in the course
of this chapter. He died on the 16th of February, 1829, aged sixty-five years,
and his wife survived him until the 27th of May, 1848, when she had attained
the age of eighty-two years. He was the father of sixteen children, whose
descendants are now numerous in Warren county. His brother John, who
was born in New Jersey on the 9th of March, 1767, came to this township soon
after Hugh, and resided here until his death October 9th, 1842. He had five
children, of whom mention is made in the sketch of William S. Marsh, appearing
in later pages of this volume. An anecdote is related of one of his sons,
Joseph, which of itself is valuable for the idea which it gives of the condition
of life in Farmington before the township was surveyed into existence. Wolves,
bears, and deer were among the brute inhabitants of this wilderness previous
to the clearing of the forest primeval. In the early part of this century Joseph
(born March 10, 1795; died February 14, 1881) started out to
hunt for deer just off the line of his father's farm, leaving word that if he discovered
any deer and needed help to take it he would shout, upon hearing
which his father, John, was to come to his assistance. It was not long before
Joseph saw a huge buck rubbing his neck against a tree. He fired and hit the
buck, bringing him to the ground. Supposing his victim to be dead, young
Marsh ran up to him, and putting his foot on the buck's neck, began cutting
his throat with a dull knife. He had just succeeded in bringing blood, when
the beast began to revive and to make the most desperate struggle to rise. In
his frantic efforts he kicked every stitch of clothing from Marsh's body, and at
last got upon his feet and stood in a defiant attitude. At this point the hunter
shouted for help, and though before his father, with the dogs, reached him,
the buck had beaten a hasty retreat, they found him and carried him home in

Almost contemporaneously with the settlement of Hugh Marsh, Hugh
settled on what was afterward the Spencer Johnson place, just west of the
site of Lander. Here he built a grist-mill in after years, but abandoned it at
an early day and went to Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he became the
founder of Frewsburg.

Another early settler within the limits of Farmington township was John
, who, previous to 1806, took up two four hundred-acre tracts just
north of the present farm of William S. Marsh. He was well known around
here and at Sugar Grove, where he has descendants at this day.
John Mahan, of Irish descent, came to what is now Farmington as early
as 1815, from Philadelphia, where his parents had then but recently died of
the yellow fever. He boarded with the family of Hugh Marsh, and attended
school here until he was old enough to take care of himself. He then began
business as an operative in the several saw-mills in this part of the county.
He died on the 21st of May, 1882. His son, David Mahan, is now a citizen of

After the close of the War of 1812 the population of this part of Warren
county began to increase quite rapidly, and was composed more and more of
that steady element which contributes to the permanent prosperity of a town.
They were men and women who desired to establish homes in the wilderness,
and were willing to toil, in order that they might enjoy the blessings of peaceful
and intelligent industry. Previous to the year 1822 the following persons
had settled within the limits of Farmington, as those limits now run:
Captain Garrett Burgett settled a short distance west of where the Center,
or Lander post-office now is, and engaged extensively in farming and lumbering.
He died on the 16th of October, 1862. He was the father of Peter Burgett,
who lived at this period on the farm now occupied by his son, Ira Burgett.
Peter Burgett was also a farmer, and a successful man. He was prominent
in township affairs and was for some time a justice of the peace. He
died on the 5th of May, 1874. His mother lived until about 1873, when she
died at the advanced age of ninety-seven years and five months.

Levi Chappel lived on the rise of ground east of Lander, and engaged in
farming. He was one of four sons of Noah Chappel, who also lived near Lander,
and who was a soldier of the Revolutionary War. The fires of " ' 76"
never died out in Noah Chappel's heart while it throbbed with life, and he
loved, with a soldier's zeal, the country which he had helped to create. He
always had the stars and stripes floating over his house on Independence Day.
He died on the 23d of March, 1849. Andrew Chappel was another son of
Noah, and he had served in the War of 1812, as had John Mahan. Andrew
died on the 29th of October, 1864, and his widow is still living in
Farmington. Another son of Noah, Alanson by name, lived south of Lander
from the time of which we write (1821) until his death in 1879. The other
son, Shubel, died in 1864.

Alexander Chestney, a bachelor of a quiet and reserved disposition, lived
for a time on the farm now owned by Nelson Philo, and afterward in the northern
part of the township, on the farm now owned by Thomas M. Knapp. He
died on the 15 th of September, 1868.

William Heaton owned and worked a farm just south of the farm of John
, now owned by R. L. Gardiner. He settled in town quite early, and
once, in a time of scarcity, carried half a bushel of salt on his back from Pittsburgh
to Farmington.

Silas Rowland was living in 1822 in the " Hollow," on the county road.
He moved away very soon after this. His brother Carroll was a stone-mason
here for a time. Another brother, Stephen, went from here to Butler county,
about eighteen miles below Franklin.

Levant Rathbun was a temporary settler of this period on the State road
in the northern part of Farmington, but soon became a Baptist minister and
removed to other fields.

William Shelden was one of the earliest and most prominent of the pioneers
in Farmington township. He was born in 1766, and followed Hugh Marsh
closely to this country from the East. It is stated by some that he built the
first saw-mill in the county, and was running at full speed previous to 1803.
It stood on Fairbank Creek on the farm now owned by Isaac Howard, and
was but a few rods from his house. His daughter Ruth married Joseph Marsh,
and was the mother of William S. Marsh. William Shelden died (was killed
by a rolling log) on the 15th of March, 1834. His wife, Parthene Sherman,
who was born in 1770, became his wife in 1788, and died on the 23d of February,
1844. Their son William was a blacksmith, and for years engaged in
his chosen trade near the home of his father, soon after whose death he went

Jonathan Thompson lived in 1822 on the place now owned by Frank Wilcox
in the northern part of the township. He moved away quite early.

Spencer Johnson lived about half a mile north of Lander, on the farm now
owned by his sons, Calvin and Isaac. He was a man of earnest purpose in
life, a good and prominent citizen and a pattern in his domestic relations. He
died on the 9th of July, 1865.

Joseph Jenkins lived on the country road about midway between Lander
and Russellburg, on the place now occupied by his son Theron. A short
time previous to his death, which occurred on the 1st of August, 1862, he was
stricken with total blindness.

Ozam Kilbey lived about three-quarters of a mile south of Marsh's Corners.
He married a sister of Joseph Marsh. He remained on this farm until some
time between 1840 and 1850, when he removed to Indiana.

Colonel Jeremiah C. Newman settled, sometime before 1822, in the eastern
part of the town, on the the farm now divided between Paul Brown and Aaron
, his sons-in-law. He was drowned in Irvine's mill-pond on the 25th
of February, 1866, when he had reached the age of sixty-eight years two.
months and seven days. He was an uncle to William S. Marsh. His descendants
are now numerous in this township.

Lewis Osborn, a shoemaker, lived on the farm next south of the place now
owned by William S. Marsh, where he died in April, 1833. Descendants of
Lewis Osborn still reside in Farmington.

James G. Stanton lived in the eastern part of the township, in what is now
called Stanton Settlement, where three of his sons, Alexander, John, and James,
are now living. James G. Stanton died on the 4th of June, 1865.

Esquire Phillips lived on the place now owned by Frank Wilcox, in the
northeastern part of Farmington. He was a pensioner of the War of 1812,
and engaged industriously in farming and coopering. He was a former resident
of Bennington, Vt., and resided here until his death, not far from the
year 1850. Levi, son of Esquire and Anna Phillips, was born in Bennington,
Vt, on the 24th of June, 1795, and died just south of Marsh's Corners in 1883,
leaving two daughters and one son on the old homestead.

A short time previous to 1830 William Cady settled about on the site of
Lander, where he resided until his death, on the 23d of October, 1848, when
he was aged nearly seventy-four years. Not long after his arrival Aaron
made the first large clearing exactly on the site of Lander, and gave
to the place the name of " Scranton's Corners." He afterward moved south
of this farm, where his death took place. Aaron Scranton, now living here, is
his son, and he has other descendants in town.

Early and Present Business Interests.—The first mill in what is now Farmington
township, and, indeed, in this part of Warren county, that belonging to
William Shelden, has already been mentioned. The little grist-mill of Hugh
, undoubtedly the first in town, has been mentioned. Among the other
early mills was the saw-mill of John Marsh, built soon after the year 1830,
almost across the road from what is now the Marsh Cemetery. Another sawmill
stood on the Johnson farm, and was kept in operation for some time by
Shubel Chapel. A Mr. Gates afterward rebuilt it and operated it for a time.
About 1835 Horatio Saddler built a short lived saw-mill in what is known as
the Thompson Settlement. About the year 1853 Levi Phillips erected a sawmill
half a mile south of the county road. Previous to 1865 Melancthon, son
of David Miles, built a flouring-mill in the south part of Lander village, which
burned while Mr. Miles owned and operated it. On the north side of the village,
about 1879, Benjamin Franklin suffered loss from the destruction by fire of
a saw-mill which he had but a short time previously erected. The saw-mills
now in operation in Farmington are the saw-mill and planer built by its present
owner, A. R. Mix, a little more than four years ago, in the south part of
Lander village. Mr. Mix also grinds feed, meal, etc. He formerly owned a
saw, shingle, and spoke-mill on Jackson Run, with his brother Horace, which
was destroyed by fire ten or twelve years ago. Another saw-mill stands in
the western part of the village, and is owned by John Eccles, who bought it
of R. Stewart in the spring of 1885. Stewart had removed an old mill building
to this site and rebuilt it in its present form. In the summer of 1885 James
built a saw-mill in the southern part of the township, near the old
mill (repaired and now operated by steam) of Joseph Fay. The cider- mill
now owned by Peter Mahan and James Arird, was formerly the property of
Mahan brothers. There are now three creameries in town, one owned by Ira
, in the western part of the village (opened in the summer of 1886);
another by James Curry, in the southern part of the village, which, until the
season of 1886, had been for about twelve years a cheese factory; and the third
by R. Houghwot, of eight or ten years standing, in the eastern part of the

The rest of the business of Farmington may be described as follows:

There are three blacksmith's shops, one kept in operation by H. McKitrick,
who has been here about fifteen years; one by A. I. Strickland, who has been
here not far from twelve years, and one by H. Mix, jr., who has been here
about two years. There are two wagon-shops, one owned by W. S. Livermore,
who has been in the business in Lander for not less than twenty-five
years, and one by E. G. Wilcox, who has been here about ten years. There are
two cooper-shops in Lander, under the ownership and management of William
S. Brown
and Hatten Sweet respectively. E. F. Thompson has had a shoeshop
in Lander for many years, beginning as the successor of Daniel Thompson.

R. E. Miller has been dealing in general merchandise in Lander since the
fall of 1865, at which time he established the business. His brother, J. H.
, was in partnership with him from the beginning until about five years
ago. Mr. R. E. Miller was elected county treasurer in 1874, and served his term
with the greatest satisfaction to his constituents. For some time previous to
1865 Melancthon Miles was the principal merchant in Lander or Farmington.

J. L. Thompson began to deal in general merchandise in Lander on the 1st
day of February, 1884, succeeding J. H. Houghwot & Son. Their predecessors
were Houghwot & Thompson. J. H. Houghwot had been in the mercantile
business in the village for about twenty years, and had once been burned
out. Mr. Thompson carries a fine stock of goods, valued at about $4,000. It
was through his efforts that the telephone connection between Russellburg and
Lander was effected in May, 1884, as. he raised the money by his individual
endeavors. The drug department of his store is owned by H. H. Cowles, M.
D., who has practiced medicine in Farmington since the fall of 1877. Dr.
is a native of Harbor Creek, Erie county, Pa., and received his medical
education at New York city. He is of the eclectic school.

Henry N. Frazine owns a harness-shop in Lander, and has owned it for
ten years or more. He carries a good line of stock and is doing a good business.

The first post-office in Farmington was on Jackson Run, about four miles
south of Lander, and was called Jackson Run, but it was of short duration.
The post-office was established at what is now Lander village soon after the
formation of the township in 1853. The office was first called Beech Woods,
and Rev. Obed Ovatt, a Baptist clergyman, was appointed the first postmaster.
The name was soon changed to Farmington, and held that name until it was
discovered that another office in the State had a name so similar as to produce
confusion, when the present name of Lander was adopted in honor of General
. Among the successors of the first incumbent were Ansell Franklin,
Peter Burgett, S. W. Brown, M. D. (who kept the office for as long as twentyfive
years, though during a portion of that time J. H. Houghwot was acting
postmaster), and the present postmaster, J. L. Thompson, who was appointed
in May, 1885.

Schools and Churches.—The first school in what is now Farmington township
was taught in 1803 by John Marsh in his own dwelling in Beech Woods,
the pupils being his own children, those of his brother, Hugh Marsh, and one
or two others. The second school was taught in the same place by Isaiah
. In 1805 John and Hugh Marsh built the first school-house in Farmington,
near the site of the present one in Marshtown. It was constructed of
logs, with white greased papers for windows, a large fire-place four or five feet
wide, and seats made of slabs with the convex side downward. There were
no desks, except a narrow shelf fastened to the side of the house for the purpose
of writing upon with the split goose-quills.

The first religious organization in the township was of the Methodist Episcopal
denomination. The church called the First Congregational Church of
Farmington was first organized as a Presbyterian Church on the 11th day of
February, 1830, with thirteen members, who adopted the faith of the Buffalo
Presbytery. The organization was effected by Rev. W. F. Houston. Aurey
and Vetes Pond were elected deacons. Meetings were held at first in
private houses and new barns, membership increasing by letter and profession
until 1836, when the roll showed a membership of eighty-four. In October,
1838, the Rev. Emery delivered a lecture, after which the church voted to dissolve
their relations with the Presbytery and unite with the Congregational
Association. They soon afterward received a discharge from the Presbytery.
In January, 1839, Deacon Pond was the first representative of the church at a
meeting of the association, and in June of that year letters of confession and
faith were approved. In the spring of 1843 the services of William Todd were
secured for half the time, meetings being held in the school-house at Pond's
Corners. Measures were now projected to build a house of worship, and by
continued effort and much sacrifice, a house was completed and dedicated on
the 14th of August, 1845. Up to 1878 meetings were regularly held, most of
the time with preaching. At this time the numbers diminished, the members
seemed to flag in interest and influence, and it was finally decided to remove
to Farmington Center. The old church building was accordingly torn down
and a new one erected, which was dedicated on the 20th of June, 1882, at
which time and place the semi-annual meeting of the Western New York Association
was held. At this time the pastor was the Rev. J. B. Davidson, who
has been followed by the following ministers: Rev. Emery, Rev. A. C. Kaye,
and Rev. H. N. Cornish, the present pastor. The present membership is
thirty-seven, and is nearly evenly divided between the sexes. C. B. Mix and
N. Preston are deacons. The Sabbath-school has an average attendance of
seventy-five scholars, Dr. H. H. Cowles being the superintendent.

The Farmington Baptist Church was organized on the 21st of February,
1831, Elder Turner, moderator, preaching at the time. Following are names
of the first members: William Heaton, Jacob Allen, Levi Hitchcock, Thomas
, Elizabeth Heaton, Olive Allen, Elizabeth Putnam, Louis Hitchcock,
Bethana Foster, Bethiah Braley. Jacob Allen was the first deacon. The first
house of worship was a log building, which stood about two and a half miles
south of the village, near the present residence of R. G. Strickland. The church
was recognized on the 24th of May, 1831, when it was decided to build a
framed edifice for worship nearer the village. This was not completed until
1854, and stood at the junction of the main street leading south from the village
and the street to the cemetery. After being ready for occupancy (except
the seats) it was burned. Two years later the church rallied and built the
present house in the south part of the village, which was dedicated September
23, 1856. The following have served as pastors in the order named: Revs.
Gage, Alvord, Rathborn, Ovatt, Sparks, Stoddard, Hammond, Derby, Sharp,
Merriman, Allen, Phellps, Foster, Harrington, Myers, Fisher, Seyse. The
pulpit is supplied in union with the Congregational Church at present by Rev.
H. N. Cornish
, from Brokenstraw, N. Y. The present deacons are D. F.
, Zurial Allen. The membership is fifty-two. The Sabbath-school
is conducted in connection with the Congregational Church. A bequest from
Mrs. Ross Marsh in 1879, approximating $700, placed this church on a sound
financial basis, where it stands to-day.1

1 For the history of the churches, and for other interesting matter connected with the business interests of Farmington, the reader is indebted to the kindness of Mr. J. L. Thompson.

Pages 586-593




Return to Warren County townships | Warren County genealogy homepage

A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects