Part of the PAGenWeb Project
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Notable People of Warren County
Please submit your family histories (genealogies), stories concerning Warren County families, and other web pages about Warren County families and individual biographies.
ABBOTT, James A. - Sugar Grove twp. (page i, Brief Personals *)
Was born in Sugar Grove in 1839, and married on March 1, 1865, to Lavantia C. Steward, in Harmony, Chautauqua county, N. Y., where she was born in 1845. They had a family of three children born to them — Sardius Steward, Archie Allen, and Florence Rhoda. James A. Abbott has been commissioner for two terms, and is a large stock and general farmer. He was a son of John G. and Agnes N. (Allen) Abbott. She was born in Colchester, N. Y., in 1806, and her husband was born in Rome, Oneida county, N. Y., in 1806, and they were married in Sugar Grove in 1829. They had a family of ten children born to them, eight of whom are now living — Albina C, Charles, Robert, James A., Noah W., Isabell, Loretta, and Jane. John G. Abbott died in 1873, Agnes N. Abbott died in Sugar Grove October 11, 1886. John was a son of Nathan and Johanna (Gibson) Abbott, who settled in Warren county, on the Brokenstraw, in 1814, coming there from Oneida county, N. Y. Agnes Nancy (Allen) Abbott was a daughter of John and Margaret (Holmes) Allen, who were born in Scotland and married there, and with one child immigrated and settled in Delaware county, N. Y., in 1801, and later went to Chenango county, N. Y., and in 1832 they came to Sugar Grove, where they settled. They had a family of nine children born to them, three of whom are now living — James, John, and Margaret. John Allen, sr., died in Sugar Grove in November, 1844; his wife also died at the same place.
Return to top
ABBOTT, Noah W. - Sugar Grove twp. (page i, Brief Personals *)
A practical contract sawyer and farmer, he was born in Sugar Grove in 1841. He was a son of John G. and Agnes Nancy (Allen) Abbott. Noah W. Abbott was married in 1864 to Mary M. Norris, of Freehold, who was born in 1845. They had a family of seven children born to them, six of whom are now living, one having died at an early age. Those living are John, Eugene, Earl, Christopher, Edward, and Harry. Mary M. was a daughter of Thomas and Ann Norris, who were early settlers in Freehold. They had a family of five children born to them—John, James, Elizabeth, Mary M., and Alice. John enlisted and it is supposed that he died while in the army.
[Warren County coordinator's note: In 1870, Noah and his family were living in Harmony township, Chautauqua County, N.Y. Noah was 28, a farmer whose real estate was valued at $850. Wife Mary, 24, had given birth to John, 5, Eugene, 3, and Earl, 1, in New York state. (Family #268) On the same census page are his parents John and Agnes Abbott, both 64, and daughter Jane E. Abbott, 18. John's real estate holdings were valued at $14,500, personal estate $3,500. (Family #266)
Noah Abbott died in 1910, wife Mary died in 1918; both were buried in the Cherry Hill Cemetery, Sugar Grove Township. Son Earl was born in 1869, died 1951, also buried with his wife (Mina E.) in the Cherry Hill Cemetery]
Return to top
ACOCKS, Julia A. - Pittsfield (page ii, Brief Personals *)
Julia A. Acocks was born in Conewango, Warren county, in 1820. She was a daughter of Mark C. and Phebe (Greene) Dalrymple. Phebe was born in Rensselaer county, N. Y., and Mark C., her husband, was born in Vermont in 1799. They were married in Troy, N. Y., in 1810. Mark C. first settled in Pennsylvania in 1809, and in 1810 settled with his wife. She died September 17, 1841, leaving a family of six children, four of whom are now living — Julia A., Mrs. Lydia Foster, David R., and Mrs. Jerusha Ford. Mark Dalrymple was a prominent man of his county, and was the first sheriff of Warren county. He also held several other offices, and was always active in all town and county affairs. He died in April, 1873. Julia was married in 1835 to James L. Acocks. They had a family of three children born to them — Oliver Perry, Thomas L., and N. Lamar. James L. Acocks died in August, 1870. He was a prominent business man of the town, and was born in Hancock, Berkshire county, Mass., in 1814, and settled in Pittsfield in 1834; was married in 1835, and embarked in the hotel business in 1838. They were burned out, and in 1854 they erected the present hotel at Pittsfield, where Mrs. Acocks still resides with her son, N. Lamar, who is now engaged in the hotel business. He was married October 3, 1879, to Hattie Martin, of North Bay, Oneida county, N. Y. She died in 1883, leaving two sons-—James L. and Clarence S.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Julia A. (Dalrymple) Acocks died in 1901 and was buried with her husband in the Old Presbyterian Cemetery, in Pittsfield Township.]
Return to top
ACOCKS, (Judge) William B. - Pittsfield (page i, Brief Personals *)
Judge William B. Acocks was born in Hancock, Berkshire county, Mass., in 1821. He was a son of William and Phebe (Baker) Acocks, who with a family of three children — Eliza Ann, James L., and William B. — settled in Ellicott, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1830. Phebe died in 1832, and William then married his second wife, Mrs. Caroline Kinsley, by whom he had three children, two of whom are now living— Grant A. and Mary Ann. William died in Illinois in 1867, and Judge William B. settled in Pittsfield in 1842, and embarked in the general blacksmith business, from which he retired in 1880. He served as justice of the peace for two terms, was side judge of the county for five years, from 1876 to 1881, and also held several other offices of the town. He was married in June, 1843, to Mary Ann Dalrymple, who was a daughter of Clark and Elizabeth (Shoff) Dalrymple. Elizabeth was born in Albany county, N. Y., and Clark, her husband, was born in Colerain, Franklin county, Mass., in 1796, and died in 1869. His wife died in 1883. They had a family of nine children born to them — David, Mark, William, Clark, Reuben, Oliver, Noah, Shelden, and Mary Ann. Clark Dalrymple settled in Warren county with his father, David Dalrymple, in 1811.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Judge Acocks died in 1914; his wife preceded him in death in 1888; both were buried in the Riverside Cemetery, Pittsfield Township.]
Return to top
ACOMB, Dr. James L. - Tidioute, Deerfield Twp. *
Born in Stanford Bridge, Yorkshire, England, February 27, 1828. He was a son of Joseph and Elizabeth Acomb who settled in Geneva, N. Y., in 1832. In the spring of 1834 they moved to Sandy Hill, Steuben county, N. Y., and settled on a farm which he purchased and which is still owned by them and known as the Acomb homestead. Joseph Acomb died in the fall of 1834, of cholera, leaving an invalid wife and four children, two sons, and two daughters — Thomas, James L., Margaret, and Elizabeth, the eldest of which was Thomas, aged eight years. Elizabeth Acomb by her own industry and economy maintained herself and four children until they were able to contribute to their own support. She lived to see them all grown up, married and settled, and in good circumstances, dying at the good old age of seventy-four years on April 7, 1875. Dr. James L. Acomb left home at the age of seven years, and by his own efforts and close application to business fitted himself for his medical profession, and graduated from the Syracuse Medical College in 1853. He studied medicine in Buffalo, Erie county, N. Y., where he began his medical practice, afterward moving to Cuba, Allegany county, N. Y., there following his profession until 1865; then spending one year at Pit Hole, Venango county, moving from there to Tidioute, Warren county, where he now resides and enjoys a large and remunerative practice in his profession. On settlement here he embarked in the drug and prescription business and still continues in the same, dealing in all grades of fancy and staple goods of the drug trade. He has also been an oil producer for the past fifteen years and is still in the same business. He was a volunteer surgeon in the army in 1862, and has held some of the town offices in which he now resides. He married Seraph Oliver, daughter of Squire Charles Oliver, of Rogersville, Steuben county, N. Y., in 1863. By this union he had born unto him six children — four sons and two daughters; the sons died in their early childhood; the daughters, Seraph May and Lillian T., are still living and have received a collegiate education. Seraph May married C. M. Knight, professor of chemistry and natural sciences, of Buchtel College, Akron, O., where he now resides. Lillian T. graduated at Buchtel College, Akron, O., in 1885, with appropriate honors.
Warren County coordinator note: according to the 1870 census for Tidioute, Warren County, PA, Dr. Acomb, 42, owned real estate valued at $21,000 and his personal estate totaled $5,200. His wife, 5 years his senior, had a personal estate of $6,000. Their two daughters were 12 and 6 years old. According to his obituary, James died in Tidioute, on Thursday evening of June 6th, 1901; aged 73 years, 3 months and 10 days. He was buried in the Tidioute Cemetery. LINK to J.L. Acomb's obituary. Seraph died in 1908 and is buried with her husband.
Return to top
AGRELIUS, John W. - Youngsville, Brokenstraw Twp. *
A general dry goods and grocery merchant, and proprietor of a drug and prescription and fancy goods store; he is also engaged in the manufacture of staves, heading and shingles, having a large steam-mill and factory in Youngsville. Mr. Agrelius was born in Sweden in 1838, and with his parents — Isaac and Inga Christina (Peterson) Agrelius— and their other five children, came to America and settled in Brokenstraw in 1851. Two more children were born after their arrival. Two sons of Isaac enlisted in the army during the civil war— Charles Gustavus in the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, and Andrew Peter in the 83d Pennsylvania Volunteers; both were captured and confined in Andersonville prison; were removed thence to Columbia, S. C , where they died. The six now living are Eva C, J. W., Clara T., Otto M., Eugene, Frank O. Isaac Agrelius was born in 1809, and his wife in 1810; the former is dead, and the latter is living in Kansas. John W. Agrelius is one of the energetic business men of the county. He embarked in the pump business in 1866, and in 1873 built a steam-mill, which was burned in 1876. Taking with him a partner — Judge Kinnear—he rebuilt the mill the same year. In 1878 he engaged in mercantile trade, and purchased the interest of his partner in the mill, which, together with his dry goods and drug stores, he conducts at present. He was appointed postmaster in January, 1884, and resigned December, 1885. He is agent for the American line of steamships of Philadelphia. Mr. A. [sic] married Sarah Jane Demmon, of Russellburg, in 1867; they have four children — Alice B., Grace G., Blanch B., and Ray V.
Return to top
ALLEN, Orren C. - Russellburg, Pine Grove twp & Warren (pages 683-685 *)
Orren C. Allen was born on a farm near Russellburg, Pine Grove township, Warren county, on the 1st day of May, 1840. He traces his ancestry back to his great-grandfather, who came from the north of Ireland about ninety years ago, and settled in the county of Dauphin, near Harrisburg, Pa. He died about sixty-seven years ago. He there owned and operated a saw and flouring-mill successfully, and lived to be about one hundred years of age. He was a man of strong character, though marked by decided eccentricities. Of his two sons, Thomas and James, the former was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. The latter enlisted in the War of 1812 when he was quite young, and was never afterward heard from. Thomas grew up to partial manhood in Dauphin county, and went to western Virginia, near Georgetown, on the Ohio River, where he remained for fifteen or twenty years, and where he married Joanna Jones, a descendant from a Welsh family. About 1845 he settled in Pine Grove township, whither one of his sons had preceded him, and there died in 1855, aged sixty-six years. His wife survived him about ten years and died in the same town. They had eight children, three sons and five daughters, of whom the eldest, Samuel P. Allen, was the father of the subject of this notice. He was born in Virginia, and when quite a boy removed with his parents to what was called Sewickly Bottoms, in Beaver county, Pa. From there, about 1830, he emigrated to Russellburg, and engaged in lumbering. After a few years he married Mary, daughter of Caleb Thompson, one of the early settlers of Pine Grove township, and who was long a justice of the peace in Russellburg, and was noted for his enormous strength. He died at the age of eighty years. Samuel P. Allen and wife had a family of five sons and three daughters. The eldest son is Colonel Harrison Allen, who was born in 1834, admitted to the bar of Warren county in November, 1866, took an official part in the War of the Rebellion, served in the State Legislature in both houses, was made auditor general of Pennsylvania, afterward became United States marshal for Dakota territory, was superseded by a Democrat in 1885, and now resides in that territory. Samuel T, the second son, was admitted to the bar in February, 1864, served in the last war, held a clerkship in the office of the auditor general one term, was a clerk under General E. B. French in the treasury department at Washington, D. C, was three times elected burgess of Warren borough, and died on the 10th of January, 1885. The third child was the subject of this sketch. The next was Mary E., now the wife of Luther Bishop, of Warren. The fifth was George W. Allen, born at Pine Grove in March, 1845, was admitted to the bar of Warren county in December, 1866, served two honorable terms in the Legislature, residing until 1882 at Tidioute, and then removing to his present residence at Denver, Col. The sixth was Martha, now the wife of Fenton B. Hayward, of Russellburg. The next was Walter, who now resides in Warren, and the youngest is Ida, wife of Dr. H. H. Bowers, of Forrestville, N. Y.
O. C. Allen was reared on the farm on which he was born, remaining at home until he was twenty-one years of age. The farm was a pretty rough one, requiring hard work to manage it and gain a good livelihood from it, which they did. During his boyhood he attended the district schools in the winter time and worked on the farm every summer; the sons generally managing the farm while their father looked after the lumbering business. During the fall, as they approached manhood, the boys had the privilege of attending select schools in Russellburg for one or two months. Later still O. C. Allen went to the academy at Jamestown and at Randolph, N. Y., leaving the latter school in the spring of 1861. He remained on his father's farm until the harvesting was over in August of that year, when he came to Warren and began to study law in the office of Scofield & Brown. During two or three years before he was twenty-one years of age, and one winter after he began to study law, he taught winter schools to earn his own money. He reached Warren a comparative stranger, and with very little money. He rented a room in the Johnson Exchange building, purchased an outfit, and diminished his expenses by cooking his own provisions. This he continued for two years, at the same time pursuing his studies with the utmost diligence. The income from a little business which came to him then enabled him to live better, and he boarded at the Tanner House. In February, 1864, he was admitted to practice in the courts of Warren county, on the same day that witnessed the admission of his brother, S. T. Allen. His preceptors, Scofield & Brown, kindly gave him the use of their office for the first season free of rent, and he began to practice on his own account. Only one year later he was nominated and elected the disrict attorney for Warren county, and then opened his office in A. H. Ludlow's building. His success in practice was something unusual and was constantly on the increase; but after a few years Mr. Allen became connected with oil operations in Tidioute, in this county, and being somewhat broken in health, he concluded to abandon the practice of law for a time, and removed with his family to the village now called North Warren, though then less euphoniously denominated Berry's Corners. Several years in that place failing to bring him to a return of health, he removed to Richmond county, Va., purchased a farm, planted a large peach orchard, and remained a portion of the time for four years. He returned to North Warren about the time of the location there of the hospital for the insane. As soon as he discovered that the hospital was surely to be erected there, he and several other gentlemen purchased lands in the vicinity and laid them out into village lots. After disposing of these lots and of other land at a gratifying profit, he returned to Warren, and in company with his brother, S. T. Allen, and Dr. Laban Hazeltine, now of Jamestown, engaged in the drug business at the corner of Second and Liberty streets. At the end of a year he and his brother sold their interests, and the same season he was appointed postmaster of Warren, succeeding Captain Robert Dennison. He acted as postmaster eight years and was then followed by the present incumbent, Isaac Alden. On leaving the office he again engaged in the practice of law, in the office of his brother, and then formed the partnership with the district attorney, G. H. Higgins, which still continues.
In June, 1886, he was recommended by the county of Warren as a candidate for the State Senate in the Forty-eighth Senatorial District, composed of Warren and Venango counties, and was nominated at the district convention. The nomination was followed by a very spirited campaign, resulting in his election by a plurality of 1,830 votes, and in Warren county of a majority of 1,557 votes, or 500 more than were given to the State ticket at that time. This success is due to his personal popularity, the confidence which the members of his own party repose in him, and his plain and direct course as a politician, a strong member of the Republican party, but a courteous and just opponent. In business matters Mr. Allen has been uniformly successful, and no more significant praise can be bestowed than to say that amidst fierce competition, in spite of early poverty, by his own unaided efforts, without the use of dishonest expedients, he has become a man of means. He has always been extensively interested in building operations, and a few years ago erected the block which he now occupies.
On the 12th of July, 1864, he married Maria C., daughter of W. M. Cook, of Russellburg, his present wife. They have two sons, W. H., born July 21, 1867, and Samuel G., born August 24, 1870. They are both boys of great promise, and are afforded all the advandages of a thorough education, and are now attending the military and naval academy at Oxford, Md.
Return to top
ANDERSON, Peter A. - North Warren p. o., Conewango (page v, Brief Personals *)
Peter A. Anderson was born in Sweden on December 7, 1850. He is a farmer and was a son of Andrew and Louisa (Erickson) Anderson. He came to America in 1872 and settled in Warren county, and in 1881 he came to Conewango and settled on the farm on which he now resides, which he has cleared and improved himself. His father came to this country in 1876, and died in 1885. He had five children who came to America — Peter A., Oscar, Andrew, John, Otto, and Josephine. Peter A. Anderson was married in 1876 to Eva Lawson, of Sweden. They have had four children — Amelia, Albert, Selma, and Frank. Eva was a daughter of Augustus and Mary Lawson, who were natives of Sweden.
Return to top
ANDREWS, Hiram F. - Garland p. o., Pittsfield twp (pages v-vi, Brief Personals *)
Hiram F. Andrews, one of the leading business men of Warren county, was born in Pittsfield in 1838. He was married in 1862 to Sarah A. Thompson, who died in 1882 leaving a family of six children — Delia, Earl, Khlare, Maud, Leah, and Floyd. In April, 1883, he was again married to Mary Davies, who was born in Wales. In early life Hiram F. Andrews was a farmer; in 1859 he was appointed the first postmaster of Garland. He has been and is now connected with all the leading branches of business in the town. He embarked, in 1866, in the general merchandise business under the firm name of W. B. Street & Co.; his uncle, Moses Andrews & Co., took the business in 1870. He built his first steam saw-mill in 1871 and then formed the firm of Hiram Horn & Andrews; this firm continued until the death of Mr. Horn, which occurred in 1880, when Mr. Andrews went out of the business and became engaged in two separate branches of trade, that of hardware dealers doing business under the firm name of Watt & Andrews, and also that of Andrews & Co. (D. J. McMillen), who were engaged in the general dry goods and grocery trade. Mr. Andrews is also connected with the firms of Moore & Andrews and Hill & Andrews, engaged in the manufacture of lumber and shingles; also engaged in farming and fruit growing. Hiram F. Andrews was a son of Robert Andrews, jr., and Jane Manderville. Jane was born in Claverack, N. Y., and her husband Robert was born in Pittsfield. They had a family of four children born to them. Robert was drowned in the Brokenstraw River in 1850. He was born in 1801. He was a son of Robert, sr., and Anna (Ross) Andrews, who settled in this town in 1795. They had a family of nine children born to them, only one of whom is now living — Moses Andrews, who was born in 1803; is a bachelor and now resides with Hiram F.. Robert was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He built the first mill on the Brokenstraw River. The children of Robert and Jane were Hiram F., Alcinas, Eliphalet, and Eda.
Return to top
ARTHUR, Robert (page vi, Brief Personals *)
The family of Robert Arthur came to Warren county in the year 1798, coming down the Allegheny River in canoes, and driving their stock through the paths and trails along the banks of the stream. Beside Mr. Arthur, the pioneer, there came with him his wife, and John, William, Robert, jr., James, Boone, Samuel, Charles, Betsey, Manley, and Rebecca, their children, none of whom are now living. Robert Arthur, jr., married Mary Wilson, by whom he had a family of ten children, all of whom grew to be men and women. They were William, Isabelle, Susan, Robert, Isaac, Mary, Margurette, Brison, Alexander, and Caroline. The first settlement of the family was made at Warren. Robert, the pioneer, subsequently lived and died at Brokenstraw. Robert, jr., died in 1865 in the town of Corydon, where he located in 1853. Brison and Alexander Arthur still reside in the south part of Corydon, and are among the substantial farmers of the town. Having passed the middle age of life, they are content to live out their allotted time on their farms adjoining, near the banks of the Allegheny, whose waters furnished means of conveyance to the county for their pioneer ancestors.
[Warren county coordinator's note: On the 1850 U.S. Federal census for Pleasant township:
On the 1860 U.S. Federal census for Corydon township:
On the 1870 U.S. Federal census for Corydon township:
End coordinator note]
Return to top
AXTELL, Doctor A. C. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page vi, Brief Personals *)
Doctor A. C. Axtell, present physician and surgeon of Youngsville, was born in Sheakleyville, Mercer county, on July 14, 1828. He was a son of Doctor Samuel and Mary (Loveridge) Axtell, natives of Washington county, who died in Mercer county, he at the age of seventy-four years, and she died in 1884 at the advanced age of ninety-five years. She left a family of nine children—three sons physicians—Doctors W. H., M. B., and A. C; two sons who are farmers — L. S. and J. M., and one son a clergyman, N. H., D. D., and also three daughters. Dr. A. C. Axtell read medicine with his father, and attended lectures at Columbus, O., in 1853 and '54, and settled in New Lebanon in 1854, in the practice of his profession, and in 1865 he settled in Youngsville, where he enjoys an extensive practice in medicine and surgery. He was married in 1853 to Fanny White, of Sheakleyville. They have had a family of five children born to them — Mary, Emma, Willie (died December 30, 1881; one of the most successful teachers in Warren county), Hattie, and Charles S. Hattie is now a teacher in the high school; Mary married Oscar Shutt, and Emma married C. D. Arird, who is the present county superintendent of schools. Doctor Axtell was a volunteer surgeon in the government hospitals at the time of the War of the Rebellion.
Return to top
AYER, H. S. - Columbus twp (pages vi-vii, Brief Personals *)
H. S. Ayer was born in Eaton, Madison county, N. Y., in 1828, and was a son of Samuel H. and Roxana (Damon) Ayer. Roxana was born in Massachusetts in 1801, and Samuel H. was born in Pomfret, Conn., the same year. They were married in the town of Eaton, N. Y., in 1825, and settled in Columbus borough in 1834, where Samuel erected a carding and cloth-dressing mill where the tannery now stands. Roxana was a daughter of Thomas and Lovina Damon, who were born and married in Massachusetts and settled in Columbus in 1837, coming here from Madison county, N. Y., with a family of six children, two of whom are now living — James and Roxana. H. S. Ayer was married in 1875 to Ellen Cady. They have had a family of three children born to them — Ruth E., Martha R., and Anna L. Ellen was a daughter of George and Eliza (Horn) Cady. H. S. Ayer became a general merchant at Clymer, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1860, and erected a custom and merchant flour-mill, and was also engaged in the manufacture and shipment of lumber. He retired from the mercantile business in 1872, but continued in his lumber interest until 1879, when he became one of the founders of the popular organization in the State, the E. A. U. Mr. Ayer was supervisor of Clymer in 1863 and '64, also in 1867 and '68. He settled in Columbus in 1879, and has been justice of the peace for two terms. He is now the general accountant for the E. A. U.
Return to top
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2013 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors