Pine Grove township is a tract of land nearly six miles square, lying
somewhat in the northeasterly part of Warren county, and is bounded
north by Cattaraugus county in the State of New York, east by Elk township,
Warren county, south by Glade and Conewango, and west by Farmington.
Its surface is diversified by hill and valley, though this feature is not so prominent
a characteristic of Pine Grove as of those towns lying farther south.
Neither does it contain so much wild land as most of the other towns in the
county, the soil of which it is composed being admirably adapted for agricultural
uses. Natural irrigation is afforded by the Conewango Creek and its tributaries.
This stream takes its rise in Chautauqua county, N. Y., flows southerly
through Pine Grove township — a little west of the center — forms the
boundary line between Conewango and Glade townships, and unites with
River just east of Warren borough. The Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley
and Pittsburgh Railroad intersects the town along the east bank of this creek,
making access easy to the bounteous resources of nature here provided. The
township was formed on the 8th of March, 1821, and its area diminished by
the formation of Farmington, 7th of October, 1853. It was first called "Number
Early Settlements. — As has been written by one of Pine Grove's best
informed local historians, "The history of Pine Grove township from its first
settlement would necessarily include a recital of the sufferings, hardships, and
privations of the early settlers, of which the present generation can form no
adequate idea. A densely wooded country, inhabited by wild beasts, and wild
men who had recently surrendered the title to their lands under compulsion,"
were the conditions which confronted the unfaltering and fearless pioneers of
this neighborhood, which they accepted with a readiness born of intrepidity.
It was in circumstances thus inauspicious that, as early as 1795, and while the
reports of savage atrocity were yet distinct and vivid, John Frew, John Russell,
Robert Miles, and soon after Isaiah Jones, starting from Philadelphia,
ascending the Susquehanna and Sinnemahoning, and penetrating the wilderness
in what is now McKean county, found the Allegheny at "Canoe Place,"
where they provided themselves with means of transportation, floated down
the river to the mouth of the Conewango, and made the first permanent settlement
of Warren county in the beech woods of Pine Grove and Farmington.
It has been claimed that this event occurred previous to Wayne's treaty of
1795, but we have been unable to discover any evidence sufficiently strong to
confute the presumption, which "will not down," that it was impossible for
white men to make a settlement in the heart of the hostile Indian's battleground,
so far away from the protection of the government. They would not
have lived to see the last faint glimmer of their first camp-fire, or to have
cleared a space sufficient for their final resting-place. As soon, however, as
Wayne's treaty had laid open these rich lands to the settler, came the settler.
The smoothest and most available lands for agricultural purposes are found
upon the wide flats and low, broad hills of the central and northwestern portion
of the township. In the eastern and southern parts high elevations and a
surface roughly corrugated by fierce water courses have rendered large areas
unfit for cultivation. Originally these hills were covered with pine of a superior
quality, as well as other valuable timber. It was this more than anything
else that invited the early settlers to make this region their home. "We find,"
says our author, "that as early as 1801 there was at least one saw-mill; and
in 1803 Mulford Marsh built a mill near the Irvine mill site, Daniel McGinty
and Ethan Jackson built another at Russellburg, near where now is the bridge.
Water power was eagerly sought after, to drive the machinery for sawing lumber.
But little attention was given to improving the land for agricultural purposes.
There were a few attempts made here and there at actual settlement.
Z. H. Eddy commenced in 1801 on what is now the Phillips farm, but soon
after moved to Warren, where he lived until his death, at an advanced age.
One Charles Biles settled on the farm now owned by S. P. Allen. A man by
the name of Davis settled on the Sloan farm, but transferred his claim to Garfield,
Garfield to S. W. Green, and he to Sloan, who retained it for many
John McClain settled on the John Daley farm, and Neal McClain established
himself on the Cook or Wittsie farm. Samuel Anderson was the
settler on the John Arnold farm. These attempts were made under the
settlement act of 1792, which required five years to give title. But few of the
first arrivals perfected the title in their own names, as a subsequent assessment
mentioned only Samuel Anderson and Isaiah Jones as owning land, of those
The population increased slowly until after the War of 1812, when there
seemed to be a more rapid increase, principally from the Eastern States.
Many located in New York, while others wound their devious way into Pennsylvania.
Pine Grove obtained a portion of this influx. Thomas Martin came
Venango county in 1813, Joseph Akely in 1815, while E. L. Derby,
Robert Russell, Robert Miles, Adam Aker, David C. Bowman, John Rogers,
John Russell, Caleb Thompson, Joseph and Orrin Hook, Major James Herriot,
Robert Valentine, Thomas Slone, John and Marshall Jones, and many others
were named in the assessment roll of 1822.
Up to this time, and long after, there were no roads on the east side of the
creek, and but two houses, one built and occupied by Major Herriot, near
Akely Station, the other on the estate of William and Danford Hale, near the
mouth of Store House Run, where there was also a saw-mill. There had
been several cabins built a little above the present site of the water tank of
the D., A. V. & P. Railroad, by a number of men, who obtained the timber
for the first bridge across the Allegheny River, at Pittsburgh, where now
stretches the iron bridge at the foot of St. Clair street. This was in 1817, and
the place was long known hereabouts as "Shanty Hill Landing."
There were but thirteen persons assessed in Pine Grove, as now constituted,
in 1806. Isaiah Jones, who has been before mentioned as one of the first of
the pioneers, lived on the land he selected when he first visited this township
until the time of his death. The farm is now occupied by Messrs. Pitts and
Way. He was appointed a justice of the peace, and acted as such until the
adoption of the Constitution that made the office elective. Edward Jones, his
brother, will be remembered by the older inhabitants as court crier for many
years. George Slone, father of Thomas Slone, came to this township in 1799
from Cumberland county, Pa. He was by trade a blacksmith. In 1817 he
emigrated to Ohio. Robert Russell, who appears in this early list, afterward
became an extensive lumberman, and will again be referred to in speaking of
the village. Thomas Martin and Garrett Woodworth owned and operated the
mills at Russellburg, but low prices for lumber and other adverse circumstances
induced them, after a brief period, to sell. Lumber, such as was manufactured
here, was sold for $2.50 per thousand in Pittsburgh in the fall of 1820. Martin
afterward moved to the mill on Store House Run, which he operated until
it burned, about 1825 or 1826. He at the same time took up the farm now
owned by Daniel Harrington, and owned it at his death. The Warren Ledger
said this of him: "Thomas Martin, of this county, died the 15th of February,
1869, aged eighty-three. Mr. Martin was one of the oldest settlers of Warren
county, having emigrated to this county more than fifty years ago from Kent
county, in Delaware, where he was born in 1786. He was once sheriff of
Warren county for three years, and county commissioner for the same length
of time, and his faithful discharge of his public duties received universal
He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, his advice
often sought, and his counsels accepted. A good man has left us."
The D., A. V. & P. Railroad was completed in 1871, which made an outlet
for certain kinds of lumber and bark that had hitherto been unmarketable
and comparatively valueless, besides cheapening the expense of freight for
The village of Pine Grove, now called Russellburg, was named after Robert
Russell, son of that John Russell who emigrated into this township as before
related, and lies buried in Pine Grove cemetery, having died 23d of
March, 1819, aged seventy-eight years. Robert Russell died August 17, 1847,
aged sixty-five years. The village was not regularly laid out until 1843, but
had been inhabited by different families from the earliest occupation of the
township. That the ground upon which the village stands had been used by
the Indians and French from time immemorial, there are many evidences.
Being at the head of the Seven-mile Rapids, at the foot of the deep and slack
water extending into New York, it seemed to be a natural stopping place on
the route from the lakes to the Ohio River, before it was abandoned for the
Presque Isle portage. The first white inhabitant must have been one
Houghy, who, with his wife Betsey, lived in a cabin near those large
trees in the field of R. Chapman, and doubtless planted them. But soon
other people came, and Mr. and Mrs. Houghy, fearing that they were liable
be too crowded, left here and commenced again near the Irvine brick house,
where they lived for a time. The island opposite their last place of residence
has ever since been known as Houghy's Island. But people again becoming
too thickly settled, they went down the river, and probably settled where they
would not be molested by impertinent or inquisitive neighbors.
The first house erected in the village stood near. the present residence of
R. Chapman. Soon after, another one was built of planks, where now is the
store of A. A. Clark, and in this tenement D. M. Martin was born 15th
of January, 1821. The first public house was built by Lansing Wetmore,
father of Judge L. D. Wetmore, now of Warren, who afterward sold to
Miles. After passing through various hands, it came into the possession
of A. G. Lane. This was on the same ground now occupied by the hotel.
Thomas Slone commenced on the opposite corner to build a public house,
sold to Marshall Jones before completion, who, after finishing it, kept
in it until 1824. It then burned, and was at once rebuilt by Jones. This
property also went through various permutations until the winter of 1841, when
both hotels were burned at once.
During the time that Jones was keeping public house he and his brother
John commenced building a saw-mill across the creek on Akely Run, but soon
sold to Joseph Akely, who came from Brattleboro, Vt., in 1815, and took up
600 acres of land, embracing the site of this mill. Here he manufactured lumber,
cleared and cultivated land until his death, 14th of October, 1875, at the age of
eighty-six years, leaving an untarnished name as an example and a heritage to his
many children. As the country filled up, and saw-mills increased in number far
up the Conewango in the State of New York; Pine Grove, or Russellburg, in the
rafting season became a busy place, located, as it is, at the head of the rapids,
where pilots were procured to pilot the rafts into the Allegheny. The Conewango
seemed to afford more water than now, or at least a rafting stage of
lasted much longer. Sometimes for nearly a month the village would
thronged with raftmen engaged in transporting their lumber to a lower market.
All this has passed away forever. The timber has nearly all been taken
and probably the last raft of sawn lumber has passed out of the Conewango.
With the extinguishment of this business the occupation of many of the citizens
of Pine Grove has gone likewise. The whole male population
to depend upon going down the river as often as possible—and many
thereby became intimately acquainted with the rivers, their windings and intricate
channels, from here to the falls of the Ohio. That knowledge, so highly
at one time, is useless now, except as affording an interesting and neverfailing
subject of conversation between old river men when they meet and tell
minutely every circumstance connected with a trip made fifty or sixty years
ago. Thomas Slone, who has previously been mentioned, and who died in
this village 3d of October, 1886, at the age of ninety-nine years, was never so
happy as when relating the rafting experiences which occurred in his boyhood.
In relation to him the following is copied from the "Historical Atlas of Warren
County": "Thomas Slone was born in Cumberland county, Pa., in 1796. He
came with his father to Pine Grove in 1799, and has been a resident of this
township ever since. He has been one of the most active and energetic business
men in Pine Grove, and always took an active interest in everything pertaining
to the welfare of the township or county. He was county commissioner
from 1837 to 1840. He is now in his eighty-third year, living in Russellburg,
surrounded by his friends and relations, enjoying the calm reflections
to a busy life. His wife, a few years younger, is also living" (1878-
The following in reference to her is copied from the "Warren Centennial
Business Directory": "Jane Slone, born in 1800 in Pine Grove, is believed
to be the first white child born in the county now living."
Richard Alden came to the county in 1827 from Oneida, and built a carding-
mill and cloth-dressing establishment at the head of the island at Russellburg
soon after he came. This business was carried on by him until about
or 1836, when he emigrated to Louisiana on the Red River. Henry
took his place in the mill until it was washed away, not long after, by a
flood and a break in the dam. The business was again undertaken by
Drummond, of Denver, Col., who later removed his machinery to Brookville,
Pa. Woolen-factories having been established at Jamestown and eleswhere in
the vicinity, the business was abandoned as unremunerative, and such machinery
became useless for the reason that the women had forgotten how to spin
and weave as their ancestors had been forced to do.
Dr. Newman was the first physician that resided in the village, and it has
been said of him that none who have since practiced here have filled his place.
He went away with Richard Alden and died in Louisiana. He was succeeded
by Dr. Wheeler, a young man who read medicine with Newman, and died
young of consumption. Since then the village has been blessed with many
practitioners, (Says our author.) who have made this the halting-place, until they
enough to go elsewhere. Pine Grove, like most villages of its size
and age, has
been imposed upon by quacks.
Luke Turner came to Russellburg in 1827, kept a public house here for
many years, and in 1839 moved to Limestone. His widow, now nearly eighty
years old, resides with R. Chapman, who married one of her daughters.
She has been blind for many years, but her mind is as clear and her memory as
correct as most of those who are younger.
The first bridge across the Conewango at Russellburg was built in 1827 or
1828, and was again built in 1840, and replaced by the present structure in
1853 by F. E. Perkins. The main building now occupied as a grist-mill was
built for a pail-factory in 1834, and was before long abandoned. The old
grist-mill was then removed, in 1838, from the present site of Thompson's
mill to this new building. In 1868 it was furnished with new machinery, and
the additional portions of the building by D. M, Martin and J. S. Briggs,
from whom it was purchased by A. G. Lane. The first planing-mill was
started by I. W. Briggs, who has continued the business unto the present time,
and now has a steam mill at the foot of East street. E. W. Thompson also
carries on that kind of business in connection with his saw-mill.
The first elementary school in the township was kept in a private house in
the village by a man named Stephen Rodger, who was drowned in 1815
1816. About the same time a school was kept in Marshtown by Hugh Marsh.
(See Farmington.) The first school-house erected in Pine Grove was also in
the village in the year 1818, and the first teacher in the same was named
Murdick; he emigrated hither from some of the Eastern States. These schools
were supported by their patrons alone, per capita. Indeed, all the schools
in the township were kept up in this manner until after 1834. There are
eleven school-houses in the township with 331 pupils. There are three schools
in the village with an attendance of about 100 pupils.
The foregoing mosaic of interesting facts concerning the early history of
Pine Grove is the work of one the best-informed of her citizens. So much has
been said already that little is left for the writer but to fill up with the results
of his own research a few of the fissures left by our generous contributor. The
remarks made by him in respect to the busy appearance of the village during
the height of lumber traffic in the spring, will apply to nearly every town
in the county which is bordered or penetrated by a stream of any size. Forty
or fifty years ago, in Russellburg, from nine o'clock in the morning, during the
rafting seasons, the creek would be filled with rafts, and the roads would be
crowded with men going and coming in every direction. This condition of
things lasted until about the time of the last war, though a decline had then
already begun. Men still living remember having seen the ball-room,
bar-room, halls, and even barn floors belonging to the tavern of
Slone, completely covered with lumbermen who were glad to get any
of shelter for the night. The eccentric Guy C. Irvine used to cut, it is stated,
about 3,000,000 feet of pine lumber a year, and Robert Russell turned out
about the same amount.
Such additional information concerning the early settlers as has come to
the writer he here gives as a supplement to the first part of this chapter. The
farm of Isaiah Jones was in the north part of the town, adjoining the State
line. Jones was found dead by the roadside not far from the brewery in Warren,
and it was supposed that he had been thrown from his wagon and killed.
His brother Edward was here as early as Isaiah himself, and was a near neighbor.
Job Damon, who is mentioned in the list of 1822, was an eccentric sort
of man, who had fifty acres of land near the New York State line, and is said
to have carried his eccentricity to insanity. He was found dead near his house
about twenty years ago. His life was very secluded. About 1830 Robert Russell
built the brick building now occupied by Patrick Wetherby, and resided
therein until his death. Previous to that time he dwelt in a framed house
opposite his mills on the creek. His descendants are numerous in town, the
postmaster, Harvey Russell, being one of his grandsons.
Following is the list of taxables of Pine Grove the first year after its formation
(1822). It will be borne in mind that it frequently happens that many
were taxed who were not residents, but merely property owners in the town:
Samuel Anderson, 200 acres; Robert Anderson; Enoch Alden, 75 acres;
Hiram Alden, 75 acres; John M. Berry; Adam Acker, 100 acres;
Burget, 297 acres; Peter Burget, 100 acres; David C. Bowman;
Chapin; Levi Chappie, 70 acres; Andrew Chappie, 70 acres;
70 acres; Eademus Comstock, 200 acres; Eleazer Chase;
Chesney; Samuel Cowen, 200 acres; Edward Derby, carpenter;
Davis; Samuel Daley; Job Damon, carpenter; Joseph Fitch, 150 acres;
Josiah Gibbs; Seth W. Creen, 300 acres; Joseph Hook; Orrin Hook;
James Herriot, 1,965 acres and a double saw-mill; William Hearns;
Heaton, 102 acres; Joseph G. Heaton, carpenter, 80 acres;
200 acres; Isaiah Jones, "Esq.," 329 acres; Silas Rowland, 50 acres;
L. Raymond, 50 acres; David Root; Stephen Rowland, 188 acres;
Roger, 376 acres; Joel Rathbun (heirs), 650 acres; John Russell, 300 acres;Mary Russell, widow, 78 acres; Thomas Russell, 100 acres; William C. Sheldon,
130 acres; William Sheldon, 180 acres; Arthur N. Smith; William Tanner;
Edward Treadway; Caleb Thompson, 300 acres; Jonathan Thompson,
150 acres; Spencer Johnston, 200 acres; Jehu Jones, 150 acres; Marshall
Edward Jones, 450 acres; Joseph Jenkin, blacksmith ; Ozam Kibbey,
McConnell & Hubbell; Thomas Martin, 98 acres and two saw-mills; James Martin; John Marsh; Hugh Marsh, 300 acres; Thomas Marsh;
Marsh, 100 acres; Joseph Hugh Marsh, 100 acres; John Marsh, sr., 366 acres; Joseph Marsh, 50 acres; Joshua Marsh; Robert Miles, 100 acres, a tavern
and one-half of an acre; John Mahon; Medad Northrop, 35 acres;
M. Northrop, 100 acres; Jesse Northrop, 93 acres; Merritt Northrop, 93
acres; Joseph Northrop, 100 acres; Jeremiah C. Newman, 147 acres;
Enos Northrop, 30 acres; Joseph B. Overton, 150 acres; Lewis Osborn, 100 acres; Zebulon Peterson, 50 acres; Robert Russell, 623 acres and two saw-mills; Anthony Thamer, 50 acres; Samuel Treadway; Robert Valentine, 200 acres and a saw-mill; Joseph Akely, 550 acres; Thomas Slone, one-half acre and
a tavern; James G. Staunton, 200 acres; Jeremiah Sanford, 24 acres;
Esquire Phillips, 85 acres; Levi Phillips, 100 acres.
Present Business.—The hotel now kept by E. Dean was built in 1870 by
A. G. Lane, who had burned out on the opposite side of the street. Mr. Lane
will long be remembered by the people of Russellburg as a man who has done
as much to build up the village as any one who has ever lived in the town.
He died suddenly in August, 1876. He was born on the 20th of February, 1812,
and came to Warren from Camden, Oneida county, N. Y., when he was about
four years of age. He removed to Russellburg in 1832, and made that place
his home until the time of his death. He was elected treasurer of Warren county
in 1865, and served the term with satisfaction to the people. He afterward
filled the same office another term, in place of Chase Osgood, who failed to
qualify. Mr. Lane always held a good character among his fellowmen, and
has bequeathed his good qualities to his son, Hiram W. Lane. The hotel was
first kept, after Mr. Lane had opened it to the public, by Dwight Hayward for
four years. J. M. Martin was then proprietor for four years. His successors
are Theodore Chase, L. Harrison, Mrs. Mary Miller, E. Dean, A. J. Marsh,
and in May, 1886, the present proprietor, E. Dean, took possession. The
house is well kept and will accommodate about twenty-five or thirty guests.
Mr. Dean has been a resident of Pine Grove for forty years. He came here
from Chautauqua county, N. Y.
Among the merchants now in Russellburg, H. T. Russell is of the longest
standing, having engaged in mercantile business in this village for fourteen
years. He has occupied the building, in which he now transacts his business,
about six years. He carries a general stock valued at about $4,000. He is
also postmaster, having retained the office about thirteen years. The store
which he occupies was built by A. G. Lane in the summer of 1867.
A. A. Clark, who began his mercantile career in this village in 1876, now
carries stock worth about $5,000. A. V. Mott, who deals in general merchandise
in a building which has been used for mercantile purposes for nearly fifty
years, began here in May, 1880, though he did not occupy the present building
until 1883, when it was vacated by A. A. Clark. He estimates the value of his
stock at about $4,000. E. H. French, a resident of this township since 1832,
has been proprietor of a feed store in Russellburg since 1883. He was in the
mercantile business here during the war, but sold out in 1868, and from that
time to 1883 was engaged in lumbering. Before the war he was for years a
practical shoemaker in Russellburg. He came in 1832 from Massachusetts
with his father, Harrison French. He was born in Lowell, on the 8th of July, 1829.
P. F. Lewis, the only hardware merchant in town, came from Frewsburg,
in the winter of 1885-6 and established the business which he is
successfully conducting. The harness store of M. A. Lockwood was
established here in September, 1886, by the present proprietor. After serving
a sort of apprenticeship with R. Chapman, John Moll started making boots
and shoes in town in 1852. C. Moll also worked with Mr. Chapman as journeyman
from 1850 to 1853, when he started for himself. Excepting two
when he lived in Corydon (1857 to x862 and 1867 to 1871), he has
passed his business life in Russellburg.
The principal blacksmithing shop now in town is that of E. D. and
Johnson, who, under the style of Johnson Brothers, have done
here for six years. In the same building J. C. Hatton carries on
of wagon-making, and has done so for twelve or fifteen years.
The grist-mill has been mentioned in an earlier page of this chapter. The
present owner and proprietor, Hiram W. Lane, bought the property of
Martin in March, 1872, and has operated it with good success to the present,
having considerably enlarged it and increased its facilities. Besides his custom
work, he keeps well-stocked with feed and meal. The capacity of his
mill is stated to be about 500 bushels of grain in twenty-four hours. The
other manufacturing interests in the township are represented by a number of
saw, planing-mills, etc. E. W. Thompson, who operates perhaps the most extensive
mill in this part of the county, is on the site originally occupied by Robert
He built his saw-mill in 1874, and first set it in operation in May,
In January, 1886, he added the planing, matching, and house furnishing
department, and now has practically all the facilities for providing from
his own mill a complete outfit for buildings and furniture. He has the largest
wheel and power in the county, operating his mill entirely by water. He now
cuts about 500,000 feet of lumber annually, but expects soon to run the amount
up to about 12,000,000. Mr. Thompson deserves well at the hands of his
townsmen, not only by his honesty and diligence, but because he is a native
of the adjoining town of Farmington, where he was born in 1835. His father,
William Thompson, came from Long Island to Farmington in 1829. Since he
was old enough to engage in business on his own account Mr. Thompson has
transacted successful business in this town and vicinity. He bought his present
mill property of D. M. Martin and Joseph Briggs.
J. H. Dickinson has a steam saw-mill in the northeast part of the town,
which he built some fifteen years ago. Near him is the mill of Lacox & Son,
of Buffalo, which was erected in 1884. More than thirty years ago Chapin
built the mill now operated and owned by Gilbert Turner & Son. A. G.
acquired the property from Hall, and sold to John Schnor, the grantor
to the present proprietors. It is a well appointed steam saw and lath-mill.
Near the railroad station is the stave-factory, operated by steam, owned by
J. H. Fry, and built some ten or twelve years ago by E. W. Thompson.
Fry purchased the property of G. W. Slone. In the east part of the township
is the steam saw-mill of Robert Parish & Co., which has also a shingle and
planing department. This mill was erected in March, 1886. J. H. Martindale
is manufacturer of grape baskets, shingles, etc., and transacts a good business
in a steam mill which he erected in June, 1886.
The stone grist-mill in the south part of the township, by the railroad, was
erected by Guy C. Irvine in 1836, and is now in the hands of his executors.
Near the railroad station at Russellburg is the steam cider-mill and jelly-factory
of John Allen, which he built some four or five years ago, and which
does a large business every season. At Ackley Station is a thrifty creamery
owned and operated by Young & Clark, which has been in operation about
The old mill site occupied by Thomas Slone years ago is now occupied by
the saw-mill of Charles Van Arsdale. It is a good mill and manufactures a
goodly amount of lumber.
About a mile east of the railroad station at Russellburg is the chemical
laboratory of R. B. Day, of Dunkirk. Including his wood-choppers, Mr. Day
employs some thirty men. He manufactures a wood alcohol and an acetate
of lime. The works have been in operation there about six or seven years.
At Ackley Station there are two general stores, kept by W. C. Hale & Co.,
and Bennett & Co., respectively.
There are only two physicians at present practicing in Pine Grove township.
Dr. William A. Clark is a physician of signal ability, who has been in
practice here for many years. Dr. Otis G. Brown, a more recent arrival, was
born at Farmington on the 3d of August, 1863, received his medical education
at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, Md., from which
he was graduated in March, 1886. After practicing five months in East Warren,
he opened an office at Russellburg.
Ecclesiastical.—The oldest ecclesiastical organization in the township is the
Methodist Episcopal, which was formed, it is said, about 1830. Among the
first members were E. W. Chase, Almira Chase, Joseph Lindsey and
Lindsey, and Richard Alden. James Gilmore seems to have been
first pastor, and was followed successively by Revs. Todd and Luce, Tacket
and Stowe, Preston and Stearns, Flower and Demmon, Best and Pritchard,
Bryan S. Hill, Alexander Barris and Samuel Henderson, E. I. L. Baker,
John Hill, Butts, Norton, Peate and Ware, Burgess, Bush and Stocker. This
brings the record down to December, 1852, at which time the following were
members of this organization: Joseph Lindsey and wife, Joseph Jones and
wife, H. B. Herrick and wife, F. H. Herrick and wife, John Allen and wife,
J. W. Akely and wife, H. Demmon, J. W. Demmon, Ira Badger,
Badger, Nancy Vansile, Mary Moll, Mary Hodges, and L. Akely.
The pastors, since 1852 and including that year, have been as follows:
!852-53, C. Irons; 1854-55, S. S. Burton; 1856, James Gilfillan; 1857-58,
E. A. Anderson; 1859-60, J. C. Scofield; 1861, S. N. Warner; 1862-63,
Burroughs; 1864-65, Z. W. Shadduck; 1866, W. Bush; 1867, S. Hollen;
1868, C. W. Reeves; 1869-70, H. W. Leslie; 1871, J. F. Hill; 1872-73,
A. Archibald; 1874-75, E. Brown; 1876-77, A. H. Bowers; 1878-79,
Bennett; 1880-81, L. F. Merritt; 1882-83, C. W. Miner; 1884-85,
Hunt; Mr. Hunt is the present pastor.
From the beginning until the summer of 1854, meetings were held in
private houses and in the school-house on the east side of Conewango Creek.
But at that time the present house of worship was erected at a cost of about
two thousand dollars, and was dedicated by J. H. Whalen, S. S. Burton, and
others. The church has a membership at the present writing of about forty eight,
and the church property is valued at about $1,700.