Part of the PAGenWeb Project
TANNER, Archibald - Warren Borough (pages 621-624 *)
Soon after the death of Archibald Tanner,
which occurred February 15, 1861, the following obituary notice, written
by the Hon. S. P. Johnson, was published in the Warren Mail:
The subject of this notice was to Warren its oldest inhabitant, its best friend, its most enterprising citizen. Here he spent his youthful vigor, his ripened manhood and his feebler age. Around us everywhere are visible mementos of his public spirit and private virtues. With all our pleasing recollections of the past his memory is commingled. Every mind is stored with reminiscences of his genial and eccentric humor. Every eye is moist at his seemingly sudden exit. His loss is equally a private grief and a public calamity.
The religious, the political, the commercial, and social circle have each a vacant seat and no one able and willing to wear his falling mantle and fill them. But the tear which this bereavement exacts is dried by the knowledge that the good which he has done will live after him, and the conviction that our loss is, to him, eternal gain.
Archibald Tanner's grave stone,
Section E, Lot 50, Grave 8, Oakland Cemetery, Warren
|Photograph courtesy of Jonathan Hart|
Archibald Tanner, son of Tryal Tanner, was born in Litchfield, county, Conn., February 3, 1786 — emigrated with his parents to Trumbull county, O, in the year 1802 — commenced his business life at his majority by boating produce down the Ohio River, and came to Warren in 1816 with a small stock of goods and groceries, brought by keel-boat up the river. He had been located for a few previous months in Franklin. With this small stock, his earthly substance then, he commenced a career of commercial success. This he achieved single-handed, where many others failed, in a poor and sparsely settled country, without aid from relatives or patronizing friends. His integrity gained him universal confidence, while his capacity and close attention to business secured him a large measure of success. He prospered and enlarged his business for many successive years, until he was recognized at home and abroad, as the capitalist and business man of Warren.
The latter part of his active commercial life was spent in company with Robert Falconer, esq., and the well-known firm of Tanner & Falconer is yet remembered by all middle-aged descendants of the early settlers, with feelings of sincere respect Two more honorable dealers never did business in Warren.
In December, 1819, Mr. Tanner married the daughter of Colonel Alexander McDowell, of Franklin, one of her earliest and most prominent citizens. His married life was short. In 1825 he was left a widower with two infant daughters, only one of whom, wife of Hon. Glenni W. Scofield, survives him. Not forgetting his obligations as a citizen nor relaxing his business energies, he added to their burdens the double duties of a widowed parental vigilance.
His political proclivities may be summed up by saying, he was an Adams man while Adams and Jackson headed the parties of the country, subsequently a Whig during the life of that party, and lastly a Republican in full communion.
In politics, as in all things, he was an earnest man, acting boldly upon his convictions of right and duty. When in a discouraging minority, he purchased a press and established at his own expense the first newspaper ever printed in the county, to maintain the political doctrines he thought right.
In 1819-20 he was treasurer of the county, and for many years prior to 1829 — the advent of Jackson's administration — he held the office of deputy postmaster in Warren, with great credit to himself and satisfaction to the people.
|Portrait from History Of Warren County Pennsylvania|
But his most prominent characteristics were local pride and public spirit.
He led in every enterprise that aimed to promote the interest of the town and
county in which he lived. Coming to Warren when it was an ungrubbed
plateau, accessible only by the river channel and the Indian trail, he was foremost
in all improvements, both useful and ornamental. To roads, turnpikes,
boats, and bridges, and all other means of progress, he was the largest contributor
and most active friend. In building he had no compeer in the early
history of Warren. The first steamboat that ever navigated the Allegheny
River, in 1830, was a monument to his enterprise and self-sacrificing spirit.
His last undertaking was the development of the rock-oil fields of Pennsylvania. At Titusville, in company with Hon. L. F. Watson, he sunk the first flowing well.
In his early life he devoted a portion of his leisure time to mechanical improvements. His inventions, though useful in their day, have been superseded by changes in business and later discoveries. One of his patents bears the signature of James Madison and another of J. Q. Adams.
Nor was he less a friend to the moral and religious advancement of society. He was one of the pioneers of Presbyterianism in Warren. Having united with that church at its first organization in 1831, he became its chief supporter. In 1832 he was much the largest contributor to the erection of its church building, and for a quarter of a century thereafter, to the support of stated preaching therein. His religion was the result of an earnest, vital conviction of its truth, and was never laid aside or forgotten in the excitements of the hour.
His conscientiousness was largely developed and ever present, prompting him in questions of doubtful morality. Although possessing certain idiosyncrasies of character that occasioned him to differ with many others in his views of right and wrong, he never could be betrayed into an act that was dishonest or dishonorable. While he was an advocate for the doctrine of expediency, few men lived so blameless a life in a moral point of view.
In intellectual capacity Mr. Tanner occupied a prominent position among intelligent business men. His was an original intellect, possessing large selfsustaining resources, ingenious, inventive, eccentric, with a strong appreciation of the ridiculous, a ready adaptation to the details of business and a pride of peculiarity in the mode of accomplishing his purpose. In his later life, his water works, his fence building, his cemetery project and the various enterprises which he either originated or patronized for the development of the country and improvement in the arts, were evidences of these characteristic peculiarities of taste and talent.
His perceptions were quick, and his mental action upon every subject presented, direct and pertinent, overleaping all circumlocution. His conclusions were rather instincts than rational deductions. His views of men and things were often quaint and quizzical, and so abrupt that many of his sayings have passed into proverbs and became the common property of the people.
In judgment he was not infallible, and he often embarked in projects that proved unfortunate pecuniary speculations. Such were his printing, steamboat, turnpike, railroad, bridge, and bank experiences, prompted always by public and patriotic motives, but disastrous in their financial results. To his friends he was always true, to his enemies persistently hostile. To his friends he always made himself useful and reliable, while he was at times exacting and censorious; to his enemies he was uncompromising and defiant, but never cruel.
To his relations he was always kind and often generous, even to involving himself in heavy losses on their account True to his benevolent impulses, to the last, in his will, he releases all obligations to his estate for such advances.
He was the poor man's friend, if he would work. To the wants of the needy and unfortunate his heart always responded in acts of substantial aid. Industrious and energetic himself, he had no toleration for idleness or dissipation.
In his temper he was self-willed and somewhat hasty, exhibiting at times a degree of petulance and passion that was doubtless largely attributable to his sensitive and very excitable nervous temperament. But underneath all his foibles lay a manly and open heart, sincerely devoted to truth, honesty, and the public good. His courage, moral and physical, no one ever doubted. It had been often tested. He dared to do right in all emergencies, even against the swell of popular sentiment.
He had long been a member of the Masonic order and adhered to it as a benevolent institution.
With this brief but candid review of his character and history by one who knew him long and well, we must now part with our old friend Tanner, not to forget him, but to commemorate his virtues and perpetuate his good name.
For integrity and firmness of purpose, for industry and energy in its execution, for public enterprise and private charity, for an untarnished morality and a consistent piety, his life was a model well worthy the study and imitation of those who have a lifetime yet to live, and desire to attain his high position in the estimation of mankind.
TAYLOR, William H. - Barnes p. o., Sheffield twp (page xcii, Brief Personals *)
Energy, perseverance and industry, find a worthy example in the life of William H. Taylor. He was one of the six children of Silas S. Taylor, of Erie county, and came to Sheffield in the year 1859; for three months he worked for Andrew Donaldson in the lumber woods at thirteen dollars per month. After that he worked for Elmer Lacey, and continued in his employ for about three years. He is essentially a self-made man. Circumstances never made him; he made circumstances. When he left Warren for Sheffield, he possessed just fifty cents. He now owns a good farm on which stands substantial buildings which were built by him. His stock of every kind and the products of his farm are of the best quality obtainable. He was married in June, 1864, to Helen Sherwood, a daughter of James Sherwood, and by whom he had these children—Amos A., William H., jr., Dennis, George, Cassius, Jane, and Rudolph. After the death of his first wife he married Mary N. Rice, who bore him one child—Phebe A..
[Warren County coordinator's note: After suffering three weeks, son Cassius Taylor died April 28, 1894, (age 20 years, 2 months, 17 days) of gangrene. Recorded in Warren county death records, Book 1, page 124.]
THACHER, W. M. - Youngsville, Brokenstraw twp (pages xcii-xciii, Brief Personals *)
W. M. Thacher was bom in Genesee county, N. Y., in 1840. His parents were Alvin (Pike) and Jane (Salisbury) Thacher. Alvin was born in 1813, and died April 12, 1881; his wife was born in 1820. They settled in Youngsville in 1872, and had two sons—W. M. and William. The latter enlisted in Company C, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and lost an arm at Malvern Hill. W. M. married, in 1863, Jennie Henton, of Harbor Creek, Erie county. She died August 24, 1885, leaving three children—Ada, Minnie, and Ally P.. W. M. has held the offices of school director, commissioner, and councilman; by occupation he is a farmer.
THOMAS, Elisha - North Warren p. o., Conewango twp (page xciii, Brief Personals *)
Elisha Thomas was born in Schenectady county, N. Y., on April 10, 1831. He was a son of William and Jane (McConnell) Thomas, who settled in Warren county in 1833, on the farm which is now occupied by Elisha, which they cleared and improved themselves. They had a family of ten children—Willam J., John, Joseph C., Elizabeth M., Elisha, Margaret J., Sarah M., A. McCready, Mary T., and Henry S.. Mr. Thomas originally purchased 400 acres, which has since been divided into several tracts. The homestead tract now consists of 187 acres. The paternal grandparents of Elisha Thomas were John and Elizabeth (Huff) Thomas. His maternal grandparents were William and Elizabeth (Hannah) McConnell, who with a sister Nancy and a brother James McConnell, were early settlers in Conewango. The sister died at the age of one hundred and one years, and the brother at the age of seventy eight. Elisha succeeded to the homestead where he has resided since two years of age. He was married in 1874 to Emma L. Marsh, of Randolph, N. Y. They have two children—D. May (who died in infancy), and Grace E..
THOMAS, John - Grand Valley p. o., Eldred twp (page xciii, Brief Personals *)
John Thomas is a farmer, and now owns a farm of one hundred and fifteen acres; he is also largely interested in lumbering. He was a son of Lifus and Esther (Thompson) Thomas, of Ireland, who had a family of five children, four of whom are now living—Mary C., Joseph Emanuel, W. D., and Joseph. Joseph married Martha Deemer, of Westmoreland county, in 1871. They have had one child born to them—Ora Viance.
THOMAS, Samuel - Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove twp (page xciii, Brief Personals *)
Samuel Thomas, one of the pioneer farmers of the town, was born in Livingston county, N. Y., in 1828, and settled in Sugar Grove in 1837. His parents were Thomas and Sophia (Whipple) Thomas, who were born and married in Connecticut, and settled in Livingston county, N. Y., in 1825, and in Sugar Grove in 1837. They had but one son—Samuel. Thomas died in 1868, aged seventy-two years, and Sophia died in 1866, aged sixty-nine years. Samuel now owns the farm purchased at the time of settlement—then a timber tract. Samuel married in 1852 Emeline Smith, born in Rensselaer county, N. Y., in 1832. They had four children—Charles, Alice, Earl, and Jennie, who died, aged twenty-three. Sophia Thomas was a daughter of Asa Smith, who settled in Sugar Grove in 1830.
THOMPSON, David S. - Tidioute, Deerfield twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
David S. Thompson was born in Pine Grove in 1840, and settled in Tidioute in 1865 and began the production of oil, which business he followed up to 1874, when he embarked in the general merchandise business, from which he also retired in 1884. He was married in 1865 to Charlotte P. Kinnear, of Tidioute. She was a daughter of James and Jeanette Kinnear. They have had two daughters and one son—only one daughter now living. Mr. Thompson is one of the leading men of his town, and was a son of V. R. and Laura (Burgett) Thompson, who were married in Warren county. Laura died in 1874, leaving a family of four daughters and three sons. V. R. Thompson was born in 1808, and settled in Warren county in 1810, with his father, Caleb Thompson, who was a soldier in the War of 1812.
THOMPSON, Enos W. - Grand Valley p. o., Eldred twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
E. W. Thompson, one of the representative men of Grand Valley, was for twenty years keeping a general store, now conducted by his sons under the firm name of Thompson Brothers. He was born in Rensselaer county, N. Y., in 1827, and his father settled in Warren county in 1837. He married Adeline Brown, of Warren county, September 11, 1851, and to them have been born nine children, eight of whom are now living—Rosalia M., Lydia R. (deceased), Olive R., Almon T., Anson R., Anice R., Archie L., Wilfred E., and Nina I.. His father, Samuel, was born in New York State in 1775, was married three times, and had a family of sixteen children born to him, nine of whom are now living. He died in Warren county in in 1857. E. W. Thompson now owns and occupies a farm of 270 acres.
THOMPSON, Edwin W. - Russell p. o., Pine Grove twp (pages xciv-xcv, Brief Personals *)
Edwin W. Thompson was born in Farmington October 2, 1835. He is a son of William Thompson, a native of Long Island, N. Y., who settled in Farmington in 1831, and was one of its pioneers. At the age of twenty-one years Edwin came to Pine Grove, and built a water-power saw-mill in the heavily timbered districts of the town. In 1862 he built the first "circular saw-mill " of the town, and ran it until 1867, when it was sold to Thomas Briggs. In September, 1884, Mr. Thompson purchased the mill site at Russell's, of D. M. Martin and Joseph Briggs, and erected thereon one of the most complete and available saw and planing-mills of Warren county, at an expense of over $6,000. In 1862 Mr. Thompson married Harriet Jones, by whom he had four children, only two of whom are now living. Edwin Thompson is one of the most enterprising business men of Pine Grove. He believes that everything worth doing at all should be done well. In political affairs he is independent, but inclines toward the Republican party. His religious views are as independent as his politics; he is a Free-thinker.
[Warren County coordinator's note: According to Edwin Thompson's civil war registration, he was 29 years old, stood 5'8", and had blue eyes. He died in 1907 and was buried in the Pine Grove Cemetery.]
THOMPSON, Joseph Dale, jr. - Tidioute p. o., Triumph twp (page xcv, Brief Personals *)
Joseph Dale Thompson, jr. was born in Deerfield in 1834. His parents were Joseph D. and Rosalie (Crippen) Thompson, who were married in 1831. He was born in Deerfield in 1812, and died in 1882; she was born in Brokenstraw, and died, leaving a family of six children. Mr. Thompson then married his second wife, Mary Crippen, by whom he had three children. He was a son of John Thompson, who immigrated from Ireland and settled in Tidioute—one of the first settlers— where he kept a tavern many years, and died, leaving five children—one son, Joseph D., and four daughters, Polly, Rachael, Hannah, and Esther. Joseph D., jr., married Helen Huey, born in Eldred and married in 1858. They have had six children— Loretta Victoria, Orres Laverette and Oscar Lavant (twins), Florence May, Eva Jane, and Gertrude Elizabeth. Mr. Thompson has been treasurer for three years, school director thirteen years, and road commissioner for ten years. He purchased his present homestead of 130 acres in 1855—then a wilderness; he now has a grain and grass producing farm second to none in his township.
THOMPSON, Robert - Deerfield twp (pages 689-690 *)
He was born in Deerfield township, Warren county, Pa., on the 16th day of August, 1816, and died in Irvine, Warren county, on the 10th day of March, 1877. He was one of ten children (seven of whom were sons) of Robert and Rachel (Irvine) Thompson, who were of Irish nativity. From the time of his birth until his marriage in 1843, the subject of this notice remained at home, attending the district schools of his native town, and rendering assistance on the large farm and timbered lands of his father. At the same time he engaged quite considerably in lumbering on his own account, taking frequent and regular trips down the river on rafts, until he became well and widely known as a skillful and trusty pilot. Upon his marriage he purchased a large tract of land at Dunn's Eddy, in Deerfield township, which he cultivated with diligence, at the same time continuing and increasing his activities as a pilot and lumberman. Indeed, he did not relinquish lumbering until a short time previous to his death. Some twelve or fourteen years ago he opened the Dunn's Eddy House, and kept it until his removal, in February, 1875, to Irvine. At the date last mentioned he had become owner, by purchase, of the fifty-one acres now occupied by his widow, and built the house which stands thereon at this day.
|Portrait from History Of Warren County Pennsylvania|
Robert Thompson began in life with a small capital, and by unremitting industry, by the practice of frugal economy, by temperate habits, provident foresight, pleasant manners, and honest dealings acquired more than a competence. His widow and heirs now own the property which he left, including the land at Dunn's Eddy, much of it still heavily timbered, and the property at Irvine.
He married Hannah, daughter of John Thompson, of Deerfield, on the 22d of January, 1843. His wife, who survives, was born in that township on the 20th of December, 1823, though at the time of their marriage she had been residing at Jamestown, N. Y., and at Warren. She has ever sympathized with her husband in his domestic affairs, in his business undertakings, in his Republican politics, and in his willing contributions to the support of school and church. Although not members, they were regular attendants upon worship at the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Thompson left, living, at his death four children, sons, as follows: James A., born March 1, 1852; John Nelson, born June 29, 1854; G. Canby, born April 22, 1863; and Harry Dale, born November 22, 1865; all of whom are now at home with their mother. The eldest two are married.
Also an additional biographical note in the same book:
THOMPSON, Robert - Irvinton p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
Robert Thompson was born in Warren county, August 16, 1816, and was married in 1843 to Hannah Thompson, who was born in Warren county in 1823. Robert died in March, 1877, leaving a widow and four children— James A., John N. , General Canby, and Harry D. Mr. Thompson was an extensive lumber manufacturer and shipper, and was also largely engaged in farming, and was a prominent man of his town and county. He was a son of Robert and Rachel (Irvine) Thompson. Hannah was a daughter of John and Hannah (Houff) Thompson, who were early settlers in the county, and died, leaving a family of seven children, but two of whom are now living—Esther Morrison (widow) and Hannah.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Robert Thompson died March 10, 1877, and was buried in the Westview Cemetery, Starbrick.]
THOMPSON, Samuel - Warren p.o., Farmington twp (page xcv, Brief Personals *)
Samuel Thompson is a farmer and was born on Long Island, N. Y., May 4, 1816. He was a son of William and Sally (Palmater) Thompson, both of whom were natives of New York, and settled in Farmington in 1831, locating on the farm which is now owned and occupied by their son, Samuel Thompson, which they cleared and improved, and upon which they resided until the time of their deaths. They had a family of ten children—William, Maria, John, Daniel, Samuel, James, Betsey, Harriet, Sally, and George. Samuel purchased the homestead in 1850, and has resided there since 1852. He was married in 1841 to Angeline Putnam, a daughter of Daniel and Betsey (Barrett) Putnam, of Pine Grove. They have had a family of five children —Walter, Alfred, Orrin, Lovisa, and Elmer.
TOME, Philip - Corydon twp (pages xciii-xciv, Brief Personals *)
Among the earliest families that settled in Corydon was that of Philip Tome. Mr. Tome was bom in Dauphin county; he married Mary Yonce, and for a time lived on Pine Creek. They came to Corydon about the year 1827. In the family were ten children, as follows: Jane (who married William Case), Benjamin, Elizabeth (who married Rice Hamblin), George W., Philip, jr., Rebecca (who became the wife of Belvin Forbes), Hiram, William, John (who was the first white male child born in Corydon), and Savory (who married Clark White). George W. Tome was born March 20, 1818, and married February 24, 1840, to Ann Wright, daughter of William Wright. They had but one child—Rebecca—who is now the wife of Benjamin Crooks. On the farm of George W. Tome is an old mound of earth, concerning which the oldest Indians can give no account. Many relics have been taken from this vicinity, but the mound has never been thoroughly examined. Hiram Tome was born in Cattaraugus county, N, Y., May 23, 1824. In 1852 he married Eliza Dalrymple, by whom he had five children—Clara, Ella, Effie, Linnie, and Glennie. Hiram Tome is one of the most respected men of the town of Corydon. His residence stands on the main street of the village, overlooking the Allegheny River, and commands a fine view of the high mountain ranges on the opposite side. From the rear of the dwelling can plainly be seen Cornplanter's Peak. Benjamin Tome married Cynthia Gibbs, by whom he had eight children—Esther, Juliette, Sarah, Nancy J., Luella, Henry, George L., and O. J.. George L. Tome is a farmer and blacksmith, giving most of his attention to the former pursuit. His farm comprises 28 1/2 acres, nicely located about one-fourth mile north of the village of Corydon. Mr. Tome married Ida Wilcox, daughter of S. R. Wilcox, by whom he has four children. The Tome family, aside from being one of the earliest pioneers of Corydon, enjoys the distinction of having been one of the most prolific of the town, and have grown up their children to become respected, industrious, law-abiding citizens. Phillip Tome, the pioneer, some years ago wrote a book entitled "Thirty Years a Hunter," containing a sketch of his family life, and filled with interesting anecdotes of the pioneer days.
|Original marker at grave of Philip Tome, Corydon, Warren County, Pennsylvania.
Died April 30, 1855
|Photograph courtesy of the Warren Library Association|
|Stone found and restored by John Reid and Maude Tome Reid.
As of 2004, the marker is in the possession of the Warren County Historical Society.
|See Philip Tome's newer tombstone in the relocated Corydon Cemetery.|
[Warren County coordinator's notes: on the 1850 census for Corydon township, Warren county, daughter "Sabra" with husband Clark White and new-born daughter Helen, are living with Philip Tome, 68, wife Mary, 64, brothers John, 22, and Hiram, 26. Clark's occupation: blacksmith; Philip and son John are farmers, while Hiram is a lumberman.
Philip Tome, Jr., 28, born in N. Y., is recorded on the 1850 census in Shaler township in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. Living with him are his wife Lucretia, 25, children Jacob, 6, Byron, 5, and Mary, 1. Listed as an innkeeper, his entry also included 5 additional people living with them. Within the decade, the family had relocated to Elk township, Warren county. Lucretia died June 8, 1860, and was buried in the Corydon cemetery. On the 1860 census taken June 28th, Philip, Jr., is 38, making a living as a farmer. His children living with him were Mary, 11, Frances, 8, Rebecca, 6, and Phillip, 4. Also a housekeeper, Elizabeth Horton, 32, and son Alfred, 2; and two two young men George Steele, 19, and Henry Frazer, 18, both sawyers.
Tome's book Pioneer Life or Thirty Years a Hunter is available online at the Library of Congress.
An index to the names mention in it is available on the Claudius Boatman website.
End of coordinator's notes.]
TOMPSETT, Charles - Tidioute p. o., Triumph twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
Charles Tompsett was born in Kent, England, in 1847, and emigrated to America in 1865 and settled in Triumph as an agent and laborer in oil production. He was married October 15, 1868, to Ellen Griffin, who was born in Birmingham, England. They have had a family of two children born to them—William C. (born August 17, 1869), and Albert E. (bom August 26, 1871). Charles Tompsett has been assessor for three years, was collector for three terms, and constable for six terms. He purchased a tract of twenty acres and put down eight wells in 1885, which he is now pumping with one engine, obtaining over twenty barrels per day, by his own labor combined with that of his son, using the gas as fuel for his engine and house, that he has on his premises. He also has a lot of sixty acres, which is now developed. He was a son of Richard and Sarah (Beeching) Tompsett, who had a family of six children born to them. Sarah died in England, also one child. The father and his five children settled near Jamestown, N. Y. Four of the children are now living— George, Richard, Charles, and Sarah.
TRUMAN, Lillie - West Spring Creek p. o.. Spring Creek twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
Lillie Truman was born in Ohio on October 29, 1852, and settled in Warren county, Pa., in 1876. He married Mary C. Wright, who was born in Spring Creek March 15, 1855, by whom he had a family of four children— Roy L., born October 27, 1879; Earl D., born February 9, 1881; Ethel P., born August 11, 1882; and Wilmer G., born May 8, 1885. His parents were James and Claurdean (Havens) Truman. His father was a cooper by trade.
TRUSHEL, Philip and Mary - Warren p. o., Conewango twp (page xciv, Brief Personals *)
Philip and Mary Trushel, natives of Alsace, France, came to Warren in the year 1839. In this family were six children—Mary, Philip J., Jacob, Eva, George, and Caroline. Philip, the father, died in 1869, and his wife, Mary, in 1873. Philip J., the oldest son, when a boy, worked for Alonzo Summerton in the store. He went to Butler and Venango counties, where he drove stage, and afterwards followed the river, in rafting season, for fourteen years. In 1861 he went into the mercantile business in Warren county, where he has since resided. Mr. Trushel married Margaret E. Zagel, by whom he has had six children—Matilda, Albert, Frank, Edie, who died in 1872; Alice, and Clara. Philip Trushel is a conscientious Christian man; a prominent member and officer of the Evangelical Association society. In political life he has generally supported the Republican nominees, but for the last six years has been a prohibitionist, and is now one of the leaders in the cause. He is the leading merchant of Glade, his place of residence and business.
TUCKER, George - West Spring Creek p. o., Spring Creek twp (page xcvi, Brief Personals *)
George Tucker was born in Massachusetts in 1814, and settled in Spring Creek in 1856. He is a farmer and owns a farm of two hundred acres. He was married in 1845 to Catherine Brown, of Spring Creek. To them have been born eight children, five of whom are now living—Catherine M., Sarah E., George H., Miriam M., William B., Rosa A., Dora E., and Mary E. Mr. Tucker is a millwright by trade, and has held the office of town commissioner and school director. His father, Seth Tucker, was born in Norton, Mass.; died May 19, 1853, aged eighty nine. His grandfather, Robert Tucker, born April 20, 1727, died May 20, 1805, aged seventy-eight years.
TUNEBERG, Magnus - Chandler's Valley p. o.. Sugar Grove twp (pages xcv-xcvi, Brief Personals *)
Magnus Tuneberg, a general blacksmith and manufacturer of wagons, carriages, buggies, sleds, etc., was born in Sweden in 1835, and married Christina Neilson in 1866, and immigrated to and settled in Sugar Grove in 1869, and in Chandler's Valley in 1871, where he engaged at his trade, which he still continues; he has here erected a dwelling, shop, and factory. They have one daughter— Hilda, born in 1871.
TWINING, Mrs. Jane - Lander p. o., Farmington twp (page xcvi, Brief Personals *)
Mrs. Jane Twining was born in Phelps, N. Y., March 16, 1813. She was a daughter of Hugh and Martha (Burgess) Brown, natives of Ireland, who immigrated to the United States in 1798, and located in Maryland; later they removed to Wayne county, N. Y., and in 1832 located in Warren, this county, and in 1835 they settled in Farmington, where they resided until their deaths. Hugh Brown married twice. His first wife was Margaret Brown, by whom he had a family of four children, who grew to maturity—Thomas, John, William and Sally. His second wife was Martha Burgess, by whom he had eleven children, who grew to maturity—Francis, Hugh, Margaret, Sally, Joseph, Margaret, Jane, Mary A., Susan, Benjamin and Fanny. Mrs. Jane Twining married twice. Her first husband was Arthur Morgan, of Fayette, N. Y., whom she married December 4, 1828, and with whom she came to Warren county in 1832, and by whom she had a family of seven children—William, Charles, Ellis, George, Edwin, Eunice, and John A.. Mr. Morgan died in 1854. Mrs. Twining was married in 1879 to Thomas Twining, of Farmington, who settled in this place in 1859.
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2021 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors