Part of the PAGenWeb Project
JACKSON, James M. - Warren p. o., Conewango twp (page xlix, Brief Personals *)
James M. Jackson was born in what is now Glade township on March 5, 1819. He was a son of David and Lucretia (Cannon) Jackson. His paternal grandfather was Daniel Jackson, who came from Onondaga county, N. Y., and settled in Conewango township in 1797, cleared a small tract of land there and erected a grist-mill, and later a saw-mill. He also erected the first frame dwelling in Warren. He held the office of justice of the peace for many years and was a prominent man in his day. He had a family of five children—Daniel, Ethan, David, Ebenezer, Rachel, and Sylvia. David Jackson kept the tavern in Warren for many years, but in later life he engaged in the lumber business and farming. He had a family of six children— Marvel B., Timothy, James M., Rebecca, Maria, and Virginia. His wife was a daughter of Elisha Cannon, of Philadelphia. David Jackson died in 1860 in the seventieth year of his age. James M. Jackson was brought up in Warren, and now owns and occupies the old homestead where his father died. He was married in 1851 to Mary Summers. They have had a family of five children born to them—Louie, David, Willie, Harry, and Maude. Mrs. Jackson was a daughter of Langford and Sarah (Bingham) Summers, of Farmington.
JACKSON, Joseph Barton - Irvinton and Pine Grove twp (page xlix, Brief Personals *)
Joseph Barton Jackson was born in Ripton Hill's, Derbyshire, England, December 27, 1822, and was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Barton) Jackson, who came to America in 1829. Thomas was a practical miller, and was employed in several mills in New York State, and settled in Youngsville in 1845, where the mother Elizabeth died in 1846, leaving a family of six children, five of whom are now living. Thomas died in Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1879. Joseph B. Jackson enlisted in the Forty-ninth New York in 1862. He was married in 1852 to Fidelia Hoxie, who was born on June 25, 1852. They have had two children—Leon and Flora. Joseph B. Jackson settled in Irvinton in 1883, and is now engaged in running the Irvine custom flouring mill on the Brokenstraw Creek.
JACKSON, Robert Houghwout - Spring Creek twp (Contributed by Betty Matteson Rhodes)
Born on Eldred Hill, Spring Creek, Pennsylvania in Warren County, Justice Robert H. Jackson goes to Washington, DC. He cut his teeth on the beauty of Eldred Hill, where the best cherry wood grows in the USA and clean sparkling streams flow. A more rural setting is not to be found than in the hills of Spring Creek Township.
Justice Robert H. Jackson
|Photo courtesy of Betty Matteson Rhodes|
February 13, 1892 – October 9, 1954
Robert Jackson was United States Attorney General 1940–1941, and an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court (1941–1954). He was also the chief United States prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials. He is the last Supreme Court justice not to have graduated from law school.
Born in Spring Creek Township, Warren Co., Pennsylvania, and raised in Frewsburg, New York. Jackson graduated from Frewsburg High School Jamestown High School in Jamestown, New York. Jackson never attended college.
JACKSON, Robert R. - Lander p. o., Farmington twp (page xlix, Brief Personals *)
Robert R. Jackson is a farmer and was born in Spring Creek township, March 30, 1829. He was a son of Elijah and Mary (Watt) Jackson. His father was a native of Connecticut, and settled in Spring Creek township in November, 1797, where he cleared and improved a farm, and on which he resided until the time of his death. His wife was a daughter of John Watt, and was born in Penn's Valley, Lancaster county. Her father was also a pioneer of Spring Creek. Elijah Jackson had a family of thirteen children born to him—Sarah, Hannah, John, Mary, Uri, James, Ziba, Washington, William M., Alex W., Harriet, Charles M., and Robert R.. Robert R. was brought up in Spring Creek, where he resided up to 1863, when he removed to Farmington on the farm which he now occupies. He was married January 29, 1862, to Mary H. Eldred, a daughter of George F. and Laura (Cady) Eldred, of Spring Creek. They have had two children born to them—William E. and Nora E. (now Mrs. Frank Gregory).
JACKSON, William H. - Pittsfield twp (pages xlix-l, Brief Personals *)
William H. Jackson was born in Harmony, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1833. He was a son of David and Betsy G. Jackson. Betsy was born in Connecticut, and her husband David was a native of Onondaga county, N. Y. William H. Jackson was married in March, 1853, to Lucia Grosvenor, of Freehold township, Warren county. She was a daughter of Nathan and Nancy Booktus Grosvenor; he was born in Philadelphia, and she in Reading. They had two children born to them—Frank W., who married Ida McIntyre, and died in 1880 of typhoid fever; and Maribell, who was fitted for and became a teacher and has taught for ten terms; she was married June 16, 1886, to B. S. Dunning, of Erie. William H. Jackson settled on a farm near where he was born, soon after he was married, but in the fall of 1860 moved to Tidioute, in the early oil excitement; was superintendent of some oil wells for nearly five years; during that time he was elected assessor of the town of Limestone, and one term collector, also school director. In 1867 he was engaged as superintendent of the Rouse Hospital, which position he filled for six years. He was engaged in the manufacture of lumber in Youngsville for three years, and then moved on to his farm of 140 acres and engaged in the breeding of blooded cattle, and in the dairy business. He is now a school director of Pittsfield township.
JACKSON, William Miles - Spring Creek twp (pages 672 - 673 *)
William Miles Jackson was born in Spring Creek, on the same farm that he now occupies, on the 29th of May, 1818. He is the son of Elijah and Mary (Watt) Jackson. His father and Andrew Evers, the first settlers in this township, came here in November, 1797, from Union Mills (now Union City), and built the first log cabin in Spring Creek, a few rods nearly north of the site of William M. Jackson's present dwelling house. Elijah Jackson was born in Litchfield, Conn., on the 27th of October, 1772. He accompanied his father to Ontario county, N. Y., when he was sixteen years of age, and upon attaining his majority removed to Marietta, O. The Indians were thick and hostile thereabouts, and the settlers were obliged to pass their leisure in the barracks, and their hours of labor surrounded by guards. Not liking this sort of life, Elijah Jackson decided to settle in Spring Creek. About 1816 he built a log cabin on the site of his son's present dwelling house. On this farm he remained, engaged in farming and lumbering, until his death on the 1st of September, 1845.
On the 26th of February, 1801, Elijah Jackson married Mary, daughter of John Watt, of Spring Creek. Mrs. Jackson's parents were natives of Ireland, and came to Spring Creek from Penn's Valley, Lancaster county, Pa., about 1800. Mrs. Jackson died on the 9th of January, 1855, aged seventy years two months and eight days. She was the mother of Elijah Jackson's thirteen children — eight sons and five daughters, as follows: Sarah, born May 12, 1802, died May 15, 1882; Hannah, born December 11, 1803, widow of Thomas D. Tubbs, and now living in Spring Creek township; John, born May 8, 1805, died June 16, 1839; Mary, born July 5, 1807, died July 22, 1876, then the wife of William Ludden, her second husband; Uri, born March 31, 1809, died January 18, 1870; James, born April 2, 1811, died in young boyhood; Ziba Mena, born May 7, 1813, died March 19, 1851; Washington, born December 7, 1815, died May 20, 1833; William Miles, the subject of this sketch; Alexander W., born April 16, 1820, now living in Spring Creek village; Harriet, born December 19, 1822, died June 28, 1823; Charles M., born July 1, 1825, died August 23, 1885, in Busti, N. Y., and Robert R., born March 30, 1829, and now living in Farmington township.
After receiving such meager education as was afforded by the common schools of his native town, William M. Jackson began at a very early age to assist his father in clearing the 200 acre farm, even then attending school occasionally in the winter. When he became of age he began to work on his own account in saw-mills and drawing timber, etc., until the death of his father. Then he and his brother, A. W. Jackson, bought the home property of the other heirs and worked the farm in partnership until 1866, when William M. Jackson purchased his brother's interest, and from that time to the present has retained the ownership and control of the entire property. He has engaged in lumbering to a limited extent, piloting on the river from his twentieth birthday until 1864. His occupation for years past has been that of general farming. He has a small dairy business. In politics he is a thorough Democrat, and has borne his full share of the public burdens. His father was a "stiff" Democrat before him. The family, indeed, is distantly related to Andrew Jackson. Mr. Jackson has held about all the offices which it is in the power of his town to bestow, from road commissioner to justice of the peace, and is now township auditor for the ninth consecutive year. His father and mother were both Presbyterians, and his opinions and tastes are that way inclined, though he is not a member of any religious organization. Mr. Jackson has never been married, and therefore it may be said that he has the more thoroughly wedded the interests of the township, county, State and country of his birth.
Another biography appeared later in the same publication, under Brief Personals, page l:
William Miles Jackson, Spring Creek, was born in Spring Creek in 1818, and claims to be the first male child now living who was born in this town. He was a son of Elijah J. and Mary (Watts) Jackson. Elijah J. was born in Stratford, Conn., in 1772, and died in 1845. Mary (Watts) Jackson was born in Penn's Valley, Lancaster county, in 1784, and died in 1855, leaving a family of thirteen children, four of whom are now living— Hannah, William M., A. W., and Robert R.. William Miles Jackson has held almost all of the town offices. He now owns a farm of 204 acres, on which was built the first log cabin in Spring Creek, Warren county, by a white man, in November, 1797.
JACOBS, Dr. Charles A. - Youngsville, Brokenstraw twp (page l, Brief Personals *)
Dr. Charles A. Jacobs, physician and surgeon,was born in Mercer county, in 1856; was educated at Grove City Normal Academy, read medicine at Mill Brook, graduated at the Cleveland Medical College in 1883, and settled in his profession at Youngsville in 1884. In 1885 he married Belle Jackson, daughter of G. A. and Elvira King Jackson. Dr. Charles was the son of Isaac and Mary N. Lamb Jacobs. She was born in Mercer county and he in Ohio, and they were married in 1840. They have a family of ten children. One son enlisted in the One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness and died in 1864.
JAGGER, Enoch F., Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove twp (page l, Brief Personals *)
Enoch F. Jagger was born in Sugar Grove, and was a son of James and Mary (Brown) Jagger. She was born at Warren, on the Allegheny, in 1807, surrounded by Indians. James was born at Hempstead, L. I., in 1802. They were married in 1827. James settled here in 1817, and died in 1866, leaving a widow and seven children; three sons are now living—David B., Enoch F., and Charles. William died leaving a widow and three children, Max, Fred and Florence. Mrs. Eliza died leaving two children—Lucy B., and Agnes M. Abbott. Agnes and Harriet Jagger died unmarried. Enoch F. enlisted in Co. D, 9th N. Y. Regiment of Cavalry, in October, 1861, and was discharged September, 1862, for disability, from the hospital at Washington, He has served as assessor, and commissioner, and his father, James, was a justice of the peace for many years; was appointed by the governor; he was also assessor. Mary was a daughter of Hon. David Brown and Jeanette (Broadfoot) Brown. Jeanette was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and David was born in Belfast, Ireland. They were married at Franklin, Venango county, in 1802, and settled in Warren, and in 1809 settled in Sugar Grove, where he built a log house. He also built the first frame house in the town in 1816. David and Jeanette had a family of seven children, four of whom are now living—Mary, Barbara, Kittie, John B., Agnes, James, and William D.. Jeanette died in 1841, and David died in 1824. David established the first tannery in the town, and was a prominent man of the county. He was at one time a justice of the peace.
JAMIESON, Hugh A. - Warren Borough (pages 660-663 *)
Hugh A. Jamieson was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, on the 31st of May, 1835. His parents, Hugh and Jeannette Jamieson, emigrated from Paisley, Scotland, in 1824, to Hudson-on-the-Hudson, in the State of New York, and from there, in a short time, removed to the heart of the Berkshire hills. During his residence there, for years, Hugh Jamieson had charge of the weaving departments in large cotton factories. In the fall of 1843 he removed, with his family, to Sugar Grove, in this county, where he entered the employment of D. H. Grandin, of Jamestown, in the manufacture of woolen fabrics, and remained with him five years, walking to Jamestown every Monday morning and returning Saturday night. The later years of his life were passed on a farm in Sugar Grove. He died in 1880, aged seventy seven years. His parents were for years residents of Freehold township, and lived, the father, to be ninety-eight years of age, and the mother, to be eighty eight.
The subject of this sketch passed the greater part of his time until he was twenty-one years of age, at his father's home in Sugar Grove, excepting such times as he was away at school, or teaching. Excepting one term at the academy at Randolph, N. Y., his education was confined to such limits as are prescribed in the common schools, though he made long and rapid strides ahead of other students by the most persistent and industrious application to study at home. By this praisworthy [sic] means he fitted himself for teaching, and before saying his last good-bye to his home farm he taught three winters, the last at Jamestown, N. Y. In the spring of 1856 he accepted the offer of W. T. Falconer, a merchant of Kennedyville, Chautauqua county, N. Y., which he had received a short time after leaving home with the capital of fifty cents in his pocket. His previous earnings had been given to a younger brother to enable him to reach California, and Mr. Jamieson sent the rest of his wages, until his minority was a thing of the past, to his father. In the spring of 1857 he returned to Sugar Grove, purchased the interest in a dry goods business of Mark Wilson, and became a partner in trade with Isaac H. Hiller, who was afterward prothonotary of the county. At this time he had been on the point of going West, indeed, he had his trunk all packed for the journey, but was induced to remain in Sugar Grove. This business he disposed of in the spring of 1858, and for a year following he handled boats on the Ohio River for Daniel Griswold, of Jamestown, where he received the most useful portion of all his business education. During the winter of 1858-59 the well-known Joshua Van Dusen, of Sugar Grove, who had always taken a deep interest in him, persistently urged him to come to Warren and begin the study of law. After vanquishing what had before seemed serious obstacles, in August, 1859, he entered the law office of Johnson & Brown. In the fall of 1861 he was admitted to the bar. In the interim Mr. Johnson was elected president judge of the district, and Mr. Jamieson, after his admission to practice, remained in the office with R. Brown, with whom, in less than a year, he formed a copartnership, under the firm name of Brown & Jamieson.
Being naturally of a speculative turn of mind, he was disposed to reach out in business, and in the fall of 1863 began his extraneous investments by purchasing an interest in lumber and mill property of Kinzua Creek, in the village of Kinzua. This he still owns, together with several thousand acres of timbered lands, out of which he has made large amounts of money. In the summer of 1865 his investments had grown to such proportions that it became evident that he must give up either his outside business or relinquish his law practice, and after mature deliberation he decided to abandon the profession. Accordingly the partnership with Judge Brown was dissolved. About this time he furnished the money and became interested in the hardware trade, and established a store in Warren under the name of J. H. Mitchell & Co. This was changed in 1871 to H. A. Jamieson. By shrewed and prudent management Mr. Jamieson has developed this interest until now he is without question the proprietor of the largest hardware business in the county. To accommodate it requires the use of a large three-story brick building and a spacious cellar, besides a 40 by 50 warehouse four stories high.
In the summer of 1876 Mr. Jamieson took a small amount of stock in an enterprise known as the Warren Woodenware Works, which, unfortunately proved a losing investment to the citizens of Warren, and in consequence of being an endorser on their paper for a large amount, he was compelled to step in and run the business temporarily. He subsequently became the owner of this large establishment, employing about fifty hands and running under an invested capital of some $75,000. The necessities of this business prompted him to become an active power in the organization known as the Western Woodenware Association, the office of which is in Chicago, Ill., and of which he is and for years has been president. Through his influence the woodenware business has been made a success instead of the failure, which was presaged of it. During all these years he has not disconnected himself from the lumber business, but during his residence in Warren has interested himself in the flouring, and saw-mills, and sash, door and blind factories on the island at the foot of Liberty street. He is also very considerably interested in oil operations, though he is careful not to permit that interest to absorb his other business.
He was one of the original incorporators of the Citizens' National Bank of Warren, and is now a director in the same. He has always readily taken stock in every enterprise which presented itself seemingly to advance the interests of Warren. He is recognized as a very active worker for the benefit of the Warren Library Association and the good of Warren. He has always been a steady Republican, and is now a warm admirer of James G. Blaine, in spite, as he says, of the aspersions which have been used to stain his name. In the winter of 1882, against his own wish, he was elected burgess of the town, notwithstanding the opposition of a majority of Democrats and an independent Republican. He has for the last ten years been a member of the Presbyterian Church, to the support of which he has generously contributed.
ln personal appearance Mr. Jamieson is tall, slender, and very straight Though not robust, he has yet great powers of endurance, and has never had a serious illness but once; about four years ago he had a severe attack of a brain difficulty, which it was feared might prove fatal, but after about two years he recovered. Besides the encouragement which he has so readily given to every public enterprise in Warren, Mr. Jamieson has indirectly contributed to the wealth and beauty of the borough by his extensive building operations. He is now living in the third residence of his own construction in Warren. This house is an elegant brick structure, and is furnished in the best of taste, and without regard to cost. Mr. Jamieson is largely interested in real estate in Warren and other portions of the county.
JENKINS, Theron P. - Russell p. o., Farmington twp (page l, Brief Personals *)
Theron P. Jenkins was born in Farmington, December 23, 1846. He was a son of Joseph and Sophronia (Weatherby) Jenkins. His father was a native of Boston, was a blacksmith by trade, and settled in Pine Grove in 1823, where he worked at his trade until 1837, when he settled in what is now Russellburg, on the farm which is now owned and occupied by Theron J., a part of which he cleared and improved, and on which he resided until the time of his death, which occurred August 4, 1866, aged sixty years. His children were Weston, Matilda, Almeda, Eldridge, Almira, Myron, Rachel, Orlinda, and Theron P.. Theron P.'s maternal grandparents were Samuel and Abigail (Eddy) Weatherby, who settled in Farmington in 1835. Theron P. succeeded to the homestead farm of his father. He was married in 1872 to Mary A., daughter of B. F. and Maria (Gifford) Palmeter, of Kiantone, N. Y. They have had two children born to them—Frank F. and Willie D..
JENNINGS, James Bradley - Tidioute, Deerfield twp (page li, Brief Personals *)
James B. Jennings was born in Venango county, January 7, 1829. He married Mary Emeline Snyder, of Franklin, daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Richards) Snyder, in 1859. They had five children—Cleora J., Harvey J., Albertis, Mattie B., and Fred R. He was county commissioner for three years at the time of the building of the court-house; was also councilman and school director. Mr. Jennings was a son of Morgan and Jane (Bradley) Jennings, of Venango county. They had a family of ten children, eight now living—Elizabeth, James, John, Robert, Henry, Mary Jane, Anna, and Amanda. Mr. Morgan's father was born in 1800 and died in 1879; his mother was born in 1808, and died in 1859. Morgan Jennings was a son of Jacob and Mary (Morgan) Jennings, who were born in New Jersey, and settled on the Monongahela River, in Plum township, in 1800. James B. Jennings settled in Warren county in 1852, and engaged in the manufacture and shipping of lumber; in i860 he became interested in the production of oil and still continues in that business; in 1886 he entered the coal trade in Tidioute, and is at present engaged in lumber, oil, coal, and real estate business.
[Link to James Bradley Jennings two obituary notices.]
JEWELL, William - North Warren p. o., Conewango twp (page li, Brief Personals *)
William Jewell, a farmer and merchant, was born in Otselic, N. Y., on September 22, 1830, and was a son of Joseph and Asenath (Cross) Jewell. He was reared and educated in Allegheny county, N. Y., where his parents located when he was but six years old. He was married on July 17, 1853, to Mary J. Brooks, a daughter of Simon and Sarah (Littlefield) Brooks, who were among the pioneers of Sugar Grove township. He has one child—Fred. Mr. Jewell settled in Sugar Grove in 1857, and became engaged in farming, but the last four years of his residence there he was engaged in the mercantile business. He located in Warren in 1874 and then embarked in the mercantile business, which he continued up to 1881, when his son Fred became associated with him, and they are now doing business under the firm name of William Jewell & Son. Mr. Jewell has held the office of justice of the peace for the past ten years, and is a staunch Republican. He adheres to no church except the world, and to no religion except to do good. Consequently, the world is his church, and to do good his religion.
JOBES, Samuel - Spring Creek twp (page li, Brief Personals *)
Samuel Jobes was married in 1845 to Jane Ayling, by whom he had a family of five children—Jefferson M., William P., Leslie D., Ida Belle, and Emma N.. Samuel Jobes was a son of John and Polly (Le Seur) Jobes. Samuel Jobes died August 24, 1886. John Jobes served in the War of 1812 as a drummer. He was born in 1794, settled in Spring Creek in 1819, and died in 1885. His wife was born in 1801, and died in 1878, leaving a family of twelve children, four of whom are now living.
JOHNSON, Curtis - West Spring Creek p. o., Spring Creek twp (page li, Brief Personals *)
Curtis Johnson was born in Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y., son of John and Fanny (Long) Curtis. He settled in Spring Creek in 1870, and married Rose Long of Pittsfield, Warren county. They have had three children—James, George, and Lizzie. He is a large manufacturer of and dealer in lumber, and owns 500 acres.
JOHNSON, Frederick J. - Chandler's Valley p. o., Sugar Grove twp (page li, Brief Personals *)
Frederick J. Johnson, a prominent Swedish-born gentleman, was born October 5, 1818, and married December 29, 1840, Lottie Swanson, who was born in Sweden in 1820. With his wife and two children he immigrated to America and settled in Buffalo in August, 1846, having been seventy-one days from Sweden to New York; they buried one son at sea. He found work in Buffalo at two shillings per day at first. In 1848 he settled in Sugar Grove on his present homestead, and soon after erected his present dwelling, he being a practical carpenter and builder. He has built many buildings in the town on contract. They have had ten children, but six of whom are now living—Frederica, Sarah Jane, Lawrence A., Florence, Matilda, and Manly A.. Lawrence A. was a graduate of the Anglestone College of Illinois, in 1882, and is now a clergyman in Iowa. Frederick, with two of his brothers, Andrew P. and Charles M., purchased on first settlement in Warren county, a tract of 557 acres in 1849; the brothers sold this interest and went West. Frederick was one of the active men in the erection of the Swedish Lutheran Church, and in 1844 was prominent in the erection of the Evangelical Church of Sugar Grove township, near the Valley.
JOHNSON, Samuel P. - City of Warren (pages 686- 688 *)
S. P. Johnson was born in Venango county, Pa., January 31, 1809, the second son of the Rev. Robert Johnston [sic], one of the earliest ministerial pioneers of Northwestern Pennsylvania, who, after serving as pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Meadville for some years, removed to Westmoreland county in 1817.
At the age of sixteen the subject of this notice entered Jefferson College at Canonsburg, from which he graduated in 1830. After graduation he immediately went east and took charge of an academy in Danville, then Columbia county, Pa., where, in addition to his academic duties most of the time, he studied law, under the direction of the Hon. Robert C. Grier, subsequently for many years one of the judges of the Supreme Court of the United States.
He was admitted to the bar at Sunbury, Northumberland county, November 3, 1833, and in January, 1854, located as a lawyer in Franklin, Venango county, and in September of that year removed to Warren, which has been his place of residence and business ever since. For the first six years of his professional life here he was the working member of the firm of Struthers & Johnson, Mr. Struthers having largely withdrawn from active practice.
In 1840 Rasselas Brown became his partner, and Johnson & Brown were the leading firm in the profession for twenty years, and until the election of Mr. Johnson to the president judgeship of the Sixth Judicial District of Pennsylvania, consisting then of Warren, Erie and Crawford counties, to which Elk county was afterwards added. He discharged the laborious duties of this large district for ten years with industry and acceptability, but declined to be a candidate for renomination.
Retiring from the. bench at the beginning of 1871, he readily fell into a large practice again in the counties of his old district. He continued in active practice for about fourteen years, when he gradually withdrew from its more active duties, but still remains as the advisory and assistant member of the firm of Johnson, Lindsey & Parmlee.
In 1836 he commenced practice in McKean county as prosecuting attorney, under the administration of Governor Ritner. The next year he extended it to Potter county and subsequently to Elk county. In those three counties, together with Venango, in which he had always retained a practice, he was in constant attendance at all their courts. He thus kept up a leading and successful practice in five counties, besides his annual pilgrimages to the Supreme Court, until the fall of 1860, when he was elected to the bench as before stated.
With a sound constitution, good health and temperate habits, he was able to endure and underwent more hard labor than falls to the lot, or is within the capacity, of ordinary men. In temperament he was ardent, and in energy and industry indefatigable. These, with a characteristic economy of both time and money, made his life a successful one, both professionally and financially.
He was naturally bold, fearless, independent, and never courted popular favor; never drank, gambled or danced; had the courage to act up to his convictions, and this made him somewhat arbitrary and dogmatic in practice, and severe in his criticisms of others in his social life. His style made enemies, and he never sought the good will of any body at the sacrifice of principle or self-respect.
He was always the inveterate foe of intemperance, and during half a century of his life delivered frequent temperance lectures and addresses.
He was a Whig, Republican and Anti-slavery man of the most radical sort. He was an earnest partisan, often on the stump in early life, but never would ask for or take a nomination for a political office.
In 1837 he married Miss Martha Hazeltine, the daughter of Dr. Laban Hazeltine, of Jamestown, N. Y., with whom he shared the full measure of domestic happiness for nearly twenty-one years. She died in 1858, leaving him four children needing a mother's care, the youngest but five years old. In 1859 he took for his second wife Mrs. Martha L. Parmlee, the widow of Aaron S. Parmlee, deceased, and sister of the Hon. R. Brown, then his partner, and afterwards his competitor for the judgeship, and the mother of Colonel James O. Parmlee, one of his present professional partners.
In all matters of public interest, relating to church, State [sic] or municipal enterprise, he was always an active participant. He was for several years a leading school director, and largely by his efforts the educational system of Warren was brought into efficiency, by the erection of the first union school-house, and organizing its departments.
After a long life of incessant toil, extending during most of his professional life till midnight of each day, he is still engaged in active business, and enjoys both a physical and mental soundness vouchsafed to very few men at such an advanced age.
JOHNSTON, Richard M. - Youngsville or Mathews's Run p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page lii, Brief Personals *)
Richard M. Johnston was born in Brokenstraw, in 1848, and married Ellen Jones, of Sugar Grove, in July, 1872. They have had two children—Irvine and Waldemar. Mr. Johnston was constable four years in Mead township. He enlisted in Virginia in the First Virginia Cavalry, in 1864, under General Sheridan, served to the close of the war, and was discharged at Wheeling. He was a son of Irvine and Ann M. (Dupree) Johnston, of Brokenstraw; they were married in 1845, and had a family of seven children, four of whom survive— Richard M., Elizabeth, George, and Ida. Irvine died November 19, 1885, aged sixty four years. Mrs. Ann M. Johnston was a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Miller) Dupree. He was born in Northumberland in 1787, and settled in Brokenstraw, April 12, 1798, with his step-father, John Andrews. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1864, aged seventy-two years, having had fourteen children, nine daughters and five sons; five sons and four daughters now survive; all are married but Hugh, the oldest son, born in 1810, and Martha L., born in 1837. Richard settled on Mathew's Run in 1821, where he died in 1847; he had been during his early life a pilot and lumberman, owning a large tract of land. His father was drowned in the Allegheny River, near Pittsburgh, and his mother married a second husband, John Andrews, and died in Ohio.
JONES, Augustus - of Columbus, Columbus twp (page lii, Brief Personals *)
Augustus Jones was born in Sweden June 24, 1836. He was a son of S. P. and Hannah (Peterson) Jones, who were born and married in Sweden, and immigrated to America and settled in Columbus in 1851. They had a family of eight children born to them, six of whom are now living—Caroline, Augustus, Eveline, Estella, Otto and Oscar (who was born on the ocean in American waters); Andrew and Charles died after reaching manhood. Andrew enlisted in the army and was killed at Harper's Ferry; Charles left one son, De Forest; Eveline married Thomas Sample; Caroline married Theo. Chance; and Estella married Charles Fritz; the father, S. P. Jones, died October 28, 1877; he was born in 1799. The mother, who was born in 1806, is still living. Augustus Jones was married in 1880 to Elizabeth Nottingham, who was born in Lyndon, Chautauqua county, N. Y. She was a daughter of William and Mary Ann Nottingham. Augustus and Elizabeth have had one son born to them, Paul A.. Augustus purchased his homestead in 1865, which he has beautified with ornamental trees. He is a stock dealer and shipper.
JONES, Augustus W. - Chandler's Valley p. o., Sugar Grove twp (page lii, Brief Personals *)
Augustus W. Jones, a resident of Chandler's Valley, was born in Sweden in 1842. He was a son of Charles P. and Hellen M. Jones. They had a family of four children who immigrated to America with them, and settled in Sugar Grove in 1851, and purchased their farm of the Holland Land Company. They had a family of six children in all, two of whom are now living, Augustus W. and John P. Their mother was born in 1812, and died in 1879. Their father also was born in 1812. Augustus W. Jones enlisted in the Ninth New York Cavalry in 1861, and was discharged for disability in 1862, and in 1863 enlisted in Company M, Twenty-first Cavalry on short notice, and in 1864 re-enlisted in the Twelfth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He has been school director two terms; was elected justice of the peace in 1884. He was married in 1864 to Carrie L. Lawson, who was born in Sweden in 1846. They have had a family of three children born to them—Alice C., Elmer A., and Claude W.. Carrie L. was a daughter of Samuel and Martha Lawson, of Sweden.
JONES, Charles - Chandler's Valley p. o., Sugar Grove twp (page lii, Brief Personals *)
Charles Jones was born in Sweden, May 30, 1826, and was a son of Klineg—such being the name given him by the king when he became a soldier of the State, his family name being Samuel—Jones. Charles immigrated to America May 6, 1852, being eight weeks on the passage in a sailing vessel, and settled in Jamestown, N. Y. In 1856 he married Charlotte Davis, who was born in Sweden in 1832. They have had a family of nine children—Alfred, Frank, Richard, John, Elmer, Elisha, Mary Amelia, Elnora Carrie, and Janet. Mr. Jones was a tailor by trade, but became a butcher and farmer. His parents had a family of twelve children, four sons and three daughters of whom came to America, and five are now living —Charles, Frank, Augustus, Carrie and Lovisa. Augustus was a soldier in the late war, and was wounded, losing an arm, for which he receives a pension.
JONES, Joseph - Russell p. o., Pine Grove twp (page liii, Brief Personals *)
Joseph Jones was a native of Montgomery county, N. Y., born in the year 1806. His father's family moved to Yates county, and then Mr. Jones married Mary Mott. They came to Elk in 1830, and located on a strip of land that was afterward set off to Pine Grove. The children of this marriage were four boys and three girls. Mary (Mott) Jones died November 10, 1861. In February, 1865, Joseph Jones married Mary Ann (Caldwell) Dennison, widow of Gilbert Dennison, of Pine Grove. In early days Mr. Jones was an extensive dealer in cattle, which business, in connection with farming, gained him a goodly fortune, and gave him an extensive acquaintance throughout this section of the county. He inherited a considerable estate from his father. Mr. Jones has been associated with the old Whig, and latterly the Republican party, having been school director for over twenty years. He is also a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and contributed largely toward building the church edifice at Russells. The children of his first marriage were Eleanor E., Ezekiel C., Raymond B., Aaron M., Hannah T., James A., and Mary Alice. The children of Mrs. Jones's first marriage were John, Leon, and Ella.
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2021 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors