Logo for Warren Co, PA, part of PAGenWeb
Warren County, PA, highlighted in map of Pennsylvania
Part of the PAGenWeb Project

Warren County, Pennsylvania, Genealogy


Obituaries - Surnames beginning with S

Home > Obituaries > Surnames beginning with S






Friends of Dr. Lizzie Sayles have been apprised of her death at Bay City, Mich., on Monday, Dec. 11th.

She was a practicing physician in Warren for almost twenty years and during that period she made her home with Miss Electa A. Dunham, of Penn. Ave. West.

For several months she has been at her former home in Bay City, Michigan.

Source: Under the heading "THE DEATH RECORD in the December 13, 1910 edition of the Warren Evening Mirror, page 2.




1823 - 1909

Archibald Tanner and Margaretta, his wife, were among the early settlers in the borough of Warren. They lived in a small log house which stood in a lane extending from the road or street now called Pennsylvania Avenue West, to the rear of the building on the land now occupied by Baker & Johnson store. It was in this log house that Laura M. Scofield, their daughter, was born on the ninth day of September 1823. In 1825 her mother died and she was reared through all the trials of that early period in the companionship and care of her father. Her life as a young girl was comparatively uneventful. The country was almost a wilderness, modes of travel and communication were few and primitive. Intercourse with friends at any distance was only occasional and attended with inconvenience. When she was about seven years of age her father having occasion to visit relatives in Franklin, took her with him. They made the trip down the river in a skiff from Warren, returning from Franklin, she was a passenger to Olean, and then back to Warren with her father, on the steamboat Allegheny, built mainly by her father and David Dick of Meadville. It was the first and only trip ever made by any steamboat so far above Warren.

In 1843 Miss Tanner was married to Glenni W. Scofield, then a young lawyer of the Warren County Bar, who died in 1891. After her marriage her husband became active in public affairs and for many years represented the state of Pennsylvania in Congress, particularly during the Civil War, and later until his death, was a justice of the United States Court of Claims. Much of her time during her husband's public career was spent with him and family in Washington.

Mrs. Scofield was much interested in the study of Anthropology, was a member of the Womans' Anthropological Society of Washington, and wrote many able articles for the Society, one of which was a pamphlet of much interest and value, on Cornplanter, the noted chief of the six nations. As a member of the Chautauqua Literary Scientific Circle, she was in her quiet and effective way, active in the work, and had the success of the movement always at heart. She was a woman of refinement and education, well read and well informed, democratic and simple in her ways and most kindly in her disposition. Home was her place, the dearest spot. Next to her family, she delighted in her friends and these found a welcome that it is pleasant to remember.

Several years ago Mrs. Scofield met with an accident which resulted in her becoming an invalid, but under this misfortune, she always bore herself calmly and cheerfully. She died at her home in Warren September 14th, just five days after her eighty-sixth birthday. Her death severs one of the few remaining living links that bind the early Warren with the present.

The funeral service will be from the home on Liberty street Friday at 10:30 o'clock a.m. and the Rev. J. W. Smith will officiate. Interment will be in Oakland cemetery.

Source: Wednesday, September 15, 1909, edition of the Warren Evening Mirror, page 2, column 4.






Mrs. Seichrist [sic] Ends Her Earthly Troubles.


Arose From Her Bed About Four O'clock and Took a Dose of Cobalt, Which Resulted in Her Death at Eleven O'Clock This Morning--Family Troubles the Cause of the Rash Act.

We are called upon today to chronicle the saddest of all deaths, that of a suicide. About three o'clock last night Mrs. Mary Seichrist [sic], who resides in the West End, arose from her bed and took a dose of cobalt, which resulted in her death at eleven o'clock this morning. Family trouble was the cause of the rash act.

Mr. Seichrist [sic], who is a driller employed at Clarendon, and who is away from home most of the time, has been suspicious for some time that his wife was unfathful to her marriage vows and he determined to watch her.

On his return from his work Saturday night he went home and not finding his wife there he went to the home of a near neighbor, of whom he was suspicious, and found his wife and the neighbor in a very compromising position. Mr. Seichrist [sic] promptly administered a good trouncing to the man who had ruined his home, and angry words followed between husband and wife. Mrs. Seichrist [sic] went home and has been very despondent ever since and has threatened that she would kill herself. Her husband, fearing that she would do herself harm, had hired a lady from Tiona to stay with her but who was compelled, by other business, to leave her alone last night. Everything was all right until about four o'clock this morning when she arose, and finding some fly poison, took a dose of it, and it is said that she also wanted her children to take some. Dr. Richard B. Stewart was called at an early hour this morning but could do nothing for her and she died at the hour named after suffering great agony.

She leaves beside her husband, Albert Seichrist [sic], one sister, Mrs. Geo. Clark, of Tiona, and six small children, two boys and four girls. No blame can be placed on Mr. Seichrist [sic], as it [sic] said he has always been a kind and indulgent husband. Mrs. Seichrist [sic] has for years been subject to fits and it is supposed that her mind had become deranged from worry over her troubles. Mr. Seichrist [sic] has the sympathy of the entire community, in this, the hour of his great trouble. The time of holding the funeral has not yet been decided upon.

Source: Wednesday, August 28, 1895, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 4, column 3.

[Warren County coordinator's notes: This name can also be found as Sechriest. Mary Sechrist was buried in Oakland Cemetery. The September 16, 1898, edition of The Evening Democrat contained a real estate transfer: "Albert Sechrist to Louis W. Yaegel, Warren, $900." Albert Sechrist died in 1930 and was buried in Oakland Cemetery.]




1886 - 1953

William B. Sechrist, 304 North Pine street, well known and highly respected resident of Warren, died at 1:55 a.m. today in Warren General Hospital.

Mr. Sechrist was born in Warren, May 13, 1886, and was a lifelong resident of Warren. He was employed by the Pennsylvania railroad and at the time of his retirement was a locomotive engineer. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, First Methodist church and the Elks.

Although he spent his entire life on the west side Mr. Sechrist was well known throughout the section. In earlier years he gained fame as a baseball player, and later as an umpire. Until ill health prevented such recreation he never missed local baseball and football games. One of his last trips out of town was to attend a ball game in the Cleveland stadium. He had gained an enviable reputation for honesty and uprightness in all his dealling and activities, whether in the business or sport world, seldom enjoyed by one whose interests were so varied and widespread.

He is survived by his wife, Freda H., and a sister, Margaret Serwatka, who resides in Jamestown, N.Y.

Removal has been made to the Lutz-VerMilyea Funeral Home where calling hours will start at 7 o'clock tonight. Dr. Arthur Colley will conduct funeral services at the funeral home at 2 p.m. Wednesday, with burial in Oakland cemetery.

Source: Warren Times Mirror, Monday, February 15, 1953, page 12, columns 6-7.





The funeral of Mrs. Anna Swanson Shanley was held at the Sage Funeral Home in Tidioute Tuesday afternoon, November 19. The service was conducted by the Rev. H. M. Stevenson. Interment was in the Tidioute cemetery.

Relatives and friends from out of town attending the funeral service were: Mr. and Mrs. John T. Cowing, Mr. and Mrs. G. Bernard Swanson, Mr. and Mrs. Gust Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. Bertil Johnson, Jamestown, N. Y.; Mr. and Mrs.William Ehrhart, Billy Ehrhart, Mrs. Edward Swanson and Florence Donaldson, Titusville; Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Webber, Mayville, N. Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Gesin and Barbara Gesin, Pleasantville; Robert Heath, Meadville; Rev. L. W. Swanson, Manchester, N. H.; Mrs. Elizabeth Deegan and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Shanley of Buffalo, N. Y.

Mrs. Shanley was born in Sweden, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John P. Swanson. She came to this country with her parents in 1881, at the age of four. Her subsequent life was all spent in Tidioute. After her education in the public schools here, she was employed for some years in local mercantile establishments. After her marrige to Mr. Shanley, her interests were devotedly centered in her hame [sic] and family. Her sincere, cordial spirit won for her a large circle of friends.

Mrs. Shanley is survived by two sons: Francis R. Shanley of Hollywood, California and Edward Shanley of Tidioute; two brothers: Rev. Louis W. Swanson of Manchester, N. H. and Gust Swanson of Tidioute; and a grand-daughter, Gretel Shanley. Her husband passed away in 1937 and a third son, William, died in infancy.

Source: Christmas shopping edition of the Warren Times-Mirror, dated Thursday, November 21, 1946; no page number listed, column 4.




1863 - 1939

Ellis Clark Shawkey, 22 Jackson avenue, passed away at his home Saturday evening, his death coming peacefully after a severe illness of three weeks, following a paralytic stroke.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock from the Lutz Funeral Home with interment in Oakland cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral parlors at any time.

Mr. Shawkey was born near Clarington April 7, 1863, the son of Justus and Berthinda Steele Shawkey, but spent the greater part of his life in residence in Warren. Always a keen student and interested in public affairs, he led a retired but useful life.

He is survived by two brothers, Harry P., of Warren, and Wilbur E. of Paradise, Calif; three sisters, Mrs. J. E. Hillard, of Pittsburgh, Minnie A. and Florence B. of Warren; also several nieces and nephews.

Source: Warren Times-Mirror, March 6, 1939; page 3, column 4.




1825 - 1910

Adam Shutt, aged 85 years, and lifelong resident of Warren County, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. F. P. Boynton, Starbrick, Conewango township, Wednesday night, He retired as his usual time, but for some months his heart action has been weak and that vital organ failed him suddenly. He was found dead in his bed.

The deceased was well and favorably known in Warren County. Many years of his life were spent at Sugar Grove and more than a year ago he went to live with a daughter at Starbrick. He was a river pilot during his active years and marketed large quantities of lumber in the markets of the lower Allegheny and Ohio.

Three children survive, who are Mrs. F. P. Boynton, Starbrick, O. J. Shutt of Jamestown, and K. G. Shutt of Detroil, Mich.

The funeral service will be held ? the Boynton home Saturday afternoon at two o'clock, and the interment wil be in the Scott cemetery.

Source: Thursday, November 17, 1910, edition of the Warren Evening Mirror, page 3, column 3.






Mrs. Adam Shutt, aged 72 years, one month, passed suddenly away Tuesday, May 18th, at 6:45 p. m. at her home in Sugar Grove from a stoke of apoplexy. The deceased was a daughter of Michael and Matilda Taylor Barrett.

Mrs. Shutt, whose maiden name was Rhoda Barrett, was married to John W. Howles, Jan, 17, 1856. To this union were born six children, four of whom survive, Mrs. E. W. Wiggins, Mrs. Geo. Muir and John Howles, of Warren, Pa., and Mrs. A. R. Davis, of Brooklyn, N. Y., Mr. Howle haveing passed away, Jan. 25, 1891.

She was married the second time to Adam Shutt, of Warren, Pa., Oct. 11, 1894, of whom now survives her. She also leaves to mourn her death one brother, William Barrett, of Sugar Grove, besides six step-brother, Henry, Reuben, John, Wesley, and Robert Barrett, of Skidmore, Mo.; James Barrett, of Dewitt, Ark., and three sisters, Mrs. Sarah Russell, of Skidmore, Mo.; Mrs. Ellen Russell and Mrs. Rose Abbott, of Sugar Grove, besides a host of relatives and friends.

Mrs. Shutt was a good neighbor, a devoted wife and a kind and loving mother. The funeral will be held from the family residence in Sugar Grove Friday morning at 11 o'clock. Interment in the Cherry Hill cemetery.

Source: the Thursday May 20, 1909, edition of the Warren Evening Mirror, page 1, column 4.






Will of J.D. Shutt, of Cincinnati, O., Probated--Warren County Relatives Remembered

The will of the late J. D. Shutt was probated in the county court yesterday. The filing of this document had been looked forward to with great interest by many, as he was one of the wealthiest men in the county, and, according to general rumor, had no relatives other than his wife to leave his estate to. As he was noted during life for liberal donations to church and other charitable institutions, it was firmly believed that some of his enormous wealth, after death, would be bequesthed to some of these institutions.

But the unexpected often occurs in such cases, and this instance was no exception. To his widow, Sarah A. Shutt, the testator leaves all his eathly possessions. The household effects at the family residence, 23 West Fifth street, he bequeaths absolutely to her.

The remainder of his estate, real, personal, and mixed, he also gives to the widow during life. He empowers her to act without bond or any inventory being taken. She may sell or dispose of property, stocks or bonds in order to buy other bonds or stocks.

After her demise the entire estate is to revert to the descendants of his seven brothers and sisters, as follows: To the children of his brother, John Shutt, one seventh, to children of his sister, Elizabeth Horner, one seventh; to children of his sister, Sarah Trask, one seventh; to children of his brothers, William, James, Frederich and Adam Shutt, one seventh share each of the estate.

The will was dated August 13, 1889, and the witnesses subscribed to it were Messrs O. P. Tucker, W. M. Fenley and J. B. Newton.--Cincinnati Enquirer.

Source: the Thursday, April 4, 1895, edition of the Warren newspaper The Evening Democrat, page 1, column 7.




1836 - 1904

Charles Sigel, of Sheffield, died suddenly at 6 o'clock Sunday evening of neuralgia of the heart. Deceased was one of the best known men in this section, having been a resident of Sheffield since 1867. Amassing a large fortune in the tanning business, he remained the friend of the poor and struggling, and many will remember him with affection and gratitude. Mr. Sigel was an active factor in the building and development of the great tannery at Sheffield, remaining throughout various changes during the nearly 40 years of his activities in this community. He never married, and the only surviving relatives are a brother, living in Niagara Falls, and a brother and sister remaining in Germany. In addition to his Sheffield interests, deceased was assistant treasurer in the leather selling department of the Penn Tanning Company, President of the Niagara Falls Brewing Company, vice president of the Sheffield National Bank and director in the Warren Savings Bank. He was heavily interested in oil and gas holdings, and was a large stock holder in the Muir & Lesser refinery at Titusville. The funeral will be held from his late home in Sheffield this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The interment will probably be made in Buffalo.

Charles Sigel, while not eccentric of character, was a man who lived in a quiet and unostentatious way. He conducted his large business interests in a careful and systematic manner and leaves an estate which will probably exceed a million dollars.

Source: The Forest Republican newspaper, (Wednesday) February 24, 1904, page 3, column 5.

[Warren County coordinator's note: On the 1880 census for the town of Sheffield, Charles Sigel, 43, was listed as the bookkeeper for the S. H. & Co. Tannery. He boarded at the home of Liddie Kempf, 35, a widow who was supporting 2 young children. Interestingly, Charles is also tallied as maimed, crippled, beridden or otherwise disabled.

On the 1900 census for Sheffield, Charles, 64, reports his birthdate as March 1836, and his occupation as clerk (tannery). He has prospered and owns his own home (free and clear) only doors away from Jerry Crary, president of a tanning company. He also has a housekeeper, a Natalie Kemp, 55, widow, who presumably is the same Liddie Kempf with whom he boarded in 1880.]



1886 - 1893


The Only Child of Mr. and Mrs. Mike Silk, Called Home.

After twenty days of suffering, Mamie the bright daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mike Silk, died Wednesday evening at 4:45 o'clock. The child was taken ill some time ago with a complication of stomach troubles, but the ailment soon changed to a type of intermittant [sic] fever, which at once placed the little sufferer in a precarious conditien [sic], and which finally resulted in death.

Mary Alice Silk was born Jan. 14, 1886 and was consequently 7 years 8 months and 20 days old. She was the oldest of four children born to this household and was the last to be called from earth. Mr. and Mrs. Silk, in the loss of Mamie, are left without any children the other three having died in the following order:

Anna, born June 16, 1867, died Jan 1869; Nettie, born Sept. 13, 1874, died Oct. 29, 1881; Rick Bisgood, born April 8, 1884, died March 23, 1889.

Mamie was an unusually bright and attractive child, and her death following the successions of bereavement that have already brought such anguish to the home, is an event which brings to the sorrowing parents the most profound sympathy of a very large circle of friends. Few families are called upon to pass through such deep affliction, and not every heart is framed to withstand such bitter grief.

The funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 o'clock in St. Joseph's church.

Source: Thursday, October 5, 1893, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 1, column 5.


Two days later, her funeral:


Impressive Services Over the Remains of Mamie Silk.

The funeral services of Mamie Silk were held at 2 o'clock this afternoon in St. Joseph's church. The procession from the house to the church was of great length and showed in a most forcible manner, the wide sympathy which is borne for the bereaved parents as well as the popularity of the child, whose remains were being accorded their last public honor.

At the home on Short street, the casket bearing the remains, was almost hidden in a beautiful mound of roses and flowers of different descriptions, which were contributed by friends. Callers at the house were many and each brought some word or tribute of tender sympathy and regard.

The Catholic church was appropriately draped and the service, although short, was very impressive. Father Lenehan spoke in most consoling terms of the young life that had been so abruptly ended, and drew many valuable lessons from the sad demise.

Six little girls acted as pall-bearers. They were Flora McNett, Hattie Cowan, Hattie Cobb, Ruth McNett, Mamie O'Donnel and Grace Cousins.

A large gathering of friends followed the body to the Catholic Cemetery, where it was laid to rest with appropriate services.

Source: Saturday, October 7, 1893, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 4, column 2.






Mrs. Nathaniel Sill Succums After a Two Month's Illness.

Mrs. Nathaniel Sill died at her home on Hickory street, about noon Tuesday.

Deceased had been sick for about two month's and death was brought about by cirrhosis of the liver which had troubled her for some time. She was 64 years of age and has been almost a life long resident of this vicinity.

Besides a host of intimate friends the following relatives survive her: two brothers, Messrs. John and Montgomery Farnsworth and one sister, Mrs. Jane Houghten, of Sheffield, also one son and three daughters, namely: Mr. Chas. Sill, of this city; Mrs. Ella Holt, Kinzua; Mrs. Maria Crandall, Binghampton, N. Y., and Mrs. Ida Morse, of this place.

Source: Wednesday, June 28, 1893, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 1, column 4.




1856 - 1927

Charles Horton Smith passed away Friday morning shortly after 11 o'clock at his home, 304 East street after an illness of two weeks' duration. Death was attributed to pulmonary oedema.

Mr. Smith was born September 18, 1856, in Liberty, N.Y., and spent his early childhood there, later moving to Sheffield and still later to Warren. During his residence in this section, Mr. Smith has been prominent in the business circles of the city, having been head at one time of the Smith-Horton Company, and the C. H. Smith Company stores. He was a faithful member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of this city.

Mr. Smith was married June 24, 1880, in Sheffield, to Carrie Wood, who survives him, besides three daughters, Jennie C. Smith, Flora H. Smith, and Gertrude P. Smith, and three sons, Jerome G. Smith, W. Harold Smith, and G. Gifford Smith, all of Warren. Two brothers Perry R. Smith and Flavius C. Smith, both of Ridgway, also survive.

Funeral services will be conducted from the home on East street, at two o'clock Monday afternoon and will be in charge of the Rev. C. T. Greer, assisted by Rev. L. M. Barnard. Interment will be in the Sheffield cemetery.

Source: The Warren Morning Mirror, July 9, 1927, page three, column five.




The Rev. Edison Hyram SMITH
1849 - 1926

PITTSFIELD, June 17 - The funeral of Rev. E. Smith was held at the U.B. church Wednesday at one P.M. A large number attended the funeral. There was a number of beautiful flowers given by the church W.C.T.U and friends of the family. Rev. N.J. MacIntrye of Bradford, Pa. spoke words of comfort, and appreciation of Rev. Smith. A large delegation of ministers was present. [list of Reverends] Other friends who attended the funeral from a distance were Mrs. C. Cogswell, Warren, Pa., Mrs. Ford Union City, Pa., Mrs. C. Woodcocks, Pleasantville, Pa., Mrs. Willet Carson Pleasantville, Pa., Mrs. Chas. Snell, Mrs. Bertha McKinney, Mrs. M. Whitney of Youngsville, Pa., Mrs. Chas. Stone and son Ralph of Marion, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Penner, Cherry Creek, N.Y. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Smith and son of Cassadaga, N.Y.

Rev. Smith was born in Rochester, N.Y. He was Dist. Supt. in Erie Conference for ten years, and in the active ministry for fifty years. He was a man who was loved by all who knew him. He will be greatly missed in Erie Conference, and in the local U.B. church.

Source: 18 Jun 1926, page 11, col. 5, Warren Morning Mirror. Thank you, Dave Francis, for this obituary!

[Warren County coordinator's note: Rev. Edison Hyram Smith was buried in the Cassadaga Cemetery, Cassadaga, Chautauqua County, NY (on FindAGrave, complete with foto and more detailed biography, also courtesy of Dave Francis).]




AMOS [sic, should be ENOS] SNAPP

The death of Amos [sic] Snapp, of Barnes, occurred at his home Wednesday, ofter [sic] a complication of diseases, covering a period of two years. Deceased was seventy-four years of age and had been a resident of Warren county for many years. He is survived by a daughter and three grandchildren and three brothers, one of home [sic] is S. M. Snapp, of Warren.

Source: Under the heading "The Death Record" in the Saturday, November 26, 1910 edition of the Warren Evening Mirror, page 2, column 4.





Word has been received that Gholson L. Snapp, 215 Marian street, Corry, died at his home at 4:15 p.m. Monday following an illness of several years. He was born in Sheffield on June 19, 1860, and spent all his life in Saybrook until three years ago, when he went to Corry, He was a retired rig builder and well known throughout the oil fields.

Surviving are his wife, Lizzie J. Snapp; one son, Lester H. Snapp, of Skelleytown, Texas; three daughters, Mrs. Laura J. Amacher, Erie; Mrs. Jessie L. Larson, Warren; Mrs. Jean Field, Corry; also three grandchildren: one sister, Mrs. Irma Arp, Buffalo, N. Y.

Removal has been made to the Borden Funeral Home in Sheffield, where services will be held at 2 p. m. Thursday. Rev. Glenn Hamilton will officiate and interment will follow in Sheffield cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home at the usual hours.

Source: Tuesday, June 15, 1948 edition of the Warren Times Mirror, page 7, column 3.





John Fremont Stanton died at the home of his aunt, Mrs. A. G. Stanton, at Farmington, Pa., Sept. 27th, at the age of 38 years and 26 days.

Never has our quiet neighborhood been so shrouded in gloom, never were the neighbors so shocked and horror-sticken, as they were last Thursday evening when the sad news passed from lip to lip there had been a runaway accident and John Stanton had been fatally injured. Mr. Stanton was never a well man, being subject to heart trouble from childhood. He left his aunt, complaining of not feeling well, and went to a neighbor, living at some distance for a bag of wheat, which he intended to sow. Returning it is believed he had an attack of his old disease and had fallen from his buggy head first, the wheat lying across his feet, pinioning him gast, and in this condition he was dragged by the running horse a distance of 40 rods or more, being terribly bruised and lacerated. The horse finally turned into a wheat field, ran over a stump and the buggy passing over also, dislodged the wheat, when both were thrown violently out, Mr. Stanton's head striking a sharp stone. He was found in a short time by Geo. Kelley, still living byt unconscious. After making him as comfortable as possible Mr. Kelley secured assistance and carried him home. Meeting on the way his aged aunt going in search of him, tenderly he prepared her for his coming and led her back to her home, but no neighbor could tell her that her boy must die.

Physicians were hastily summoned, but it was apparent that all that medical skill and loving friends could do was to make his last hours easier. Strong men were unable to bear the awful sight, and women could not listen to the piteous groans of pain. Opiates were administered, his wounds dressed, and when the morning came his sufferings were ended. Peacefully as though falling asleep, with life-long friends beside him, one hand clasped in that of his mother, and the aunt he loved so well wiping the death dew from his brow, he sank to rest, and his soul returned to God who gave it. Mr. Stanton never fully regained consciousness; once only, when at the physician's request, his aunt bent over him, and asked him if he knew he was at home, the ear voice seemed to penetrate the dulled brain, and it was thought he tried to answer in the affirmative.

The deceased was a man of many good qualities, a kind and generous neighbor, a great lover of little children, and the idol of his aunt, to whom he had been as a kind and affectionate son. The funeral was held at his late home Sunday, Sept. 29, the services being conducted by Rev. Charles Anderson, of Russell.

Source: Wednesday, October 9, 1895, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 2, column 4.




1826 - 1899

Mrs. Nancy Stanton, a sister of Mrs. A. S. Dalrymple, of this city, died at her home in Farmington on Friday evening, Jan. 27, at 8 o'clock of heart failure, aged 72 years, 7 months and 9 days.

The deceased had recently suffered from rheumatism and grip but had recovered and up to within 15 minutes of her death was in comparatively good health.

She leaves one son, Nelson Stanton, who resided with her, five brothers and one sister.

The funeral was held yesterday at the home, the Rev. Thomas officiating. The interment took place in the Marsh Corners cemetery.

Source: Monday, January 30, 1899, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 5, column 4 at the bottom.

[Warren County coordinator's note: Nancy (Phillips) Stanton was buried in Marshtown Cemetery. Her son, Charles Nelson Stanton, born in 1852, was also buried in Marshtown Cemetery upon his death in 1920. Read Nancy's sister Phoebe A. Dalrymple's obituary.]




1889 - 1893

Died of Diphtheria.

Maynard J., the 4-year-old son of Jacob Stricker, died last night of diphtheria. The child was taken sick one week ago, and although under the best medical care, no improvement could be effected in this condition and death last night ended his suffering. The child was buried this morning in Oakland cemetery without any service being held. One child in the same family has just recovered from an attack of this disease and another has just taken ill.

Source: The Saturday, September 2, 1893, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 1, column 4.

[Warren County coordinator's note: According to Warren county death records, Maynard was actually 3 years, 10 months, and 15 days old when he died at his home on First Street E in Warren. Duration of illness was 7 days. Mother's name was noted as Emma E. Stricker (no maiden name listed) Link to view his tombstone.

On the 1900 U.S. Federal census, Jacob and Emma Stricker (both 39, born in 1861) are living on Elm Street in Warren with their two surviving children, Earl, 15, and Vera, 9.]





David Sword, who for the past 15 years or more, has been the gardner at the North Warren Hospital for the Insane died at his home in North Warren Saturday night at 11:30 of typhoid fever. He was about 40 years of age and is survived by his wife and three children. The funeral will be held Tuesday.

Source: Monday, February 24, 1908, Warren Evening Mirror, page 4, column 3, under "The Death Record."




Return to Obituaries | Warren County Genealogy homepage

A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects