Part of the PAGenWeb Project
DALRYMPLE, Clark - Sugar Grove twp (page xxiii, Brief Personals *)
Clark Dalrymple was born in Massachusetts and removed to Sugar Grove with his father in 1871, and was married to Elizabeth Schoff in Brokenstraw in 1818, and unto them were born nine children—eight sons and one daughter—Mary Ann, now the wife of Judge Acocks, of Pittsfield; David, Mark, William F., Clark, jr., Reuben, Oliver, Noah H., and Sheldon N.. Clark was a son of David and Fannie (Clark) Dalrymple, who, with a family of eight children, removed from Massachusetts and settled two and one half miles southwest of Sugar Grove village, on the farm where his son Clark spent his life, and where Noah H. and Reuben now reside. The children were Mark C., David, Clark, Oliver, Chauncy, Mrs. Anna York, Mrs. Betsy Stuart, Mrs. Fannie Gregg. Mark C. was the first sheriff of Warren county. Clark died in 1869 aged seventy-five years, and his wife Elizabeth died in 1883 aged eighty-eight. Oliver, the son of Clark, is the famous Dalrymple Dakota farmer, having in crop about thirty thousand acres of wheat.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Clark Dalrymple, born February 10, 1795, died July 14, 1889. His wife Elizabeth (Schoff) Dalrymple, was born April 25, 1795, died February 17, 1883. Both are buried in the Cherry Hill Cemetery, in Sugar Grove Township.]
DALRYMPLE, David R. - Pittsfield twp (page xxiii, Brief Personals *)
Squire David R. Dalrymple was born in Conewango township March 18, 1826, and married in 1846 Susan Foster, of Sugar Grove, who was born in 1830. They have four children — Phebe E., William W., R. B., and Nat A.. Phebe married Garwood Bedford; William married Kate Campbell; R. B. married N. Brown; and Nat A. married Miss Moore, of Ohio. David R. was son of Mark C. and Phebe Greene Dalrymple. She was born in Rensselaer county, N. Y., and he was born in Colerain, Mass., in 1779; they were married at Troy, N. Y., in 1809. Phebe died September 17, 1841, leaving six children—Mrs. Lydia A. J. Foster, David R., and Mrs. Jerusha J. C. Ford, now living. Mark C. Dalrymple settled in Sugar Grove in 1814. He became the first sheriff of Warren county in 1819, and served three years. He was a leading and influential man of the county. He settled in Pittsfield in 1828, where he died. He married a second wife, Mrs. Van Arnam, and after her death married Eliza Whitaker. He died in April, 1873. David R. Dalrymple enlisted in Company I, 14th Pennsylvania Cavalry, in 1864, and served till the close of the war under Colonel Schoonmaker. He was elected justice in 1855 and is now serving his thirtieth successive year; he has been commissioner two terms, and assessor nine years, and has held all the other minor town offices. He has been a farmer and lumber manufacturer and shipper.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Found on the 1860 census for Pittsfield Township, family #178:
Susan S. (FOSTER) Dalrymple died Nov. 22, 1891.
In the Friday, March 22, 1895 edition of The Evening Democrat, under "Personal Mention" is this brief announcement:
"F. G. Hammond, of Pittsfield, is in town to day to file his bonds as a new justice of peace of Pittsfield Twp. The old justice D. R. Dalyrmple having resigned. Mr. Dalrymple has been justice for a number of years. The appointment of Mr. Hammond is a good one and we congratulate him on securing it."
Almost five years after the death of his wife, David R. Dalrymple died September 21, 1896. Both were buried in the Old Presbyterian Cemetery, in Pittsfield Township. Son Robert Bruce Dalrymple, born in 1851, died in 1923 and joined his parents in the Old Presbyterian Cemetery.]
DALRYMPLE, Frank H. - Sugar Grove twp (page xxiii, Brief Personals *)
Frank H. Dalrymple was born in Sugar Grove, and is a son of David and Mary B. Dennigan Dalrymple. She was born in 1822 in Longford, Ireland, a daughter of Michael and Catharine Bannan Dennigan, who settled in Sugar Grove in 1838. David was born in 1821, and his wife in 1822, and they were married in 1842. They have had a family of six children, five of whom are now living — Sheldon C., Elizabeth E., Catharine, Watson D., and Frank Henry. David has been a lumber manufacturer and shipper, and stock grower and dealer; he has a homestead of 210 acres. He was a son of Clark and Elizabeth Schoff, who were married in Brokenstraw in 1816; he was born in Colerain, Mass. They had a family of nine children — David, Mark, William F., Clark, jr., Reuben, Oliver, N. H., S. H., and Mary A. (Mrs. Judge Acox). Clark settled with his parents in Conewango in 1811. Clark's father, David, came with his family from Colerain, Mass., in 1811; his children were David, Mark, Clark, Chauncy, Ann, and Fanny. Mark Dalrymple was the first sheriff of Warren county. Oliver Dalrymple, the great wheat grower of Dakota, is a brother of David, and an uncle of Frank H.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Found on the 1860 census for Sugar Grove Township, family #1307:
Frank Henry Dalrymple was born in September, 1858, died 1930; wife Mary E. (Lomas) Dalrymple was born October, 1868 or 69, died 1958. Both are buried in the Cherry Hill Cemetery, Sugar Grove Township. Also buried with them is son William F. Dalrymple, born October, 1896, died 1931.]
DALRYMPLE, Mark - Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove twp (page xxiv, Brief Personals *)
Mark Dalrymple was born in Sugar Grove in February, 1823. He married, October, 29, 1844, Eunice Fancher, of Dryden, Tompkins county, N. Y., who was born in 1823. Their children were William C., Newland, Mark, Silas A., Grant O., Mary E., Elizabeth, Alice, Harriet, Viola, Ada and Ella. Viola has taught several years; also Elizabeth and Ada several terms. Mr. Dalrymple has been one of the leading farmers of his town, and is now retired and lives in the borough. He was a son of Clark and Elizabeth Schoff Dalrymple. They were from Colerain, Mass., and were married in Brokenstraw. They had a family of nine children — David, Mark, William F., Clark, jr., Reuben, Oliver, N. H., S. N. , and Mary A.. Clark died in 1869, aged seventy-five years, and his widow died in 1883, aged eighty-eight years. Clark was son of David; he with his wife and children settled in the county in 1811. The children were David, Mark, Chauncy, Clark, Mrs. York, and Fanny. The son Mark was the first sheriff of Warren county. The Dalrymple family are prominent and noted farmers of the United States — Oliver and his brothers and nephews being large wheat growers in the West.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Links to obituaries:
DALTON, Andrew - Sugar Grove twp (page xxiv, Brief Personals *)
Andrew Dalton is a general farmer, and was born in County Longford, Ireland, March 16, 1805. He was a son of James and Catharine Coffe Dalton. Andrew left Ireland and landed in New York in 1825. He married Ann Denning, of Ireland, in Brooklyn, N, Y., and spent five years in New York city, Hudson, and Albany, and in 1830 settled in Sugar Grove as a farmer. His wife died March 7, 1871, leaving a family of nine children, eight of whom are now living— Catharine (married Thomas Ferguson and is dead), Bridget, Mary Ann, Michael, Thomas, James, Elizabeth, Margaret, and William. Mary A. married Isaac Knapp; Elizabeth married M. Curnell. Andrew Dalton has been a successful farmer and stock grower, having a great fancy for fine horses.
DARLING, Lewis H. - Sugar Grove twp (page xxiv, Brief Personals *)
Lewis H. Darling is a general druggist and pharmacist. He first engaged in the business in Chandler's Valley in 1881, and in 1886 settled in Sugar Grove. He was born in Chandler's Valley in 1857, and was married in 1880 to Nettie E. Goodban, by whom he has had two children — Mabel and Sadie. Mr. and Mrs. Darling were both graduates of the State Normal School at Edenboro, Erie county, in the class of 1879. They have both taught school for several terms. Lewis H. was a son of S. S. and Sally M. (Brooks) Darling.
DAVIS, Alpheus J. - Warren Borough (pages 628-629 *)
Alpheus J. Davis was born in Reading, Steuben county, N. Y. He is the
fourth son of Greeley and Lucy (Dow) Davis. His mother was born at Watkins,
Steuben county, N. Y., on the 10th of October, 1792, and died at Tionesta
Forest county, Pa., in 1868. His father was a native of Saratoga county, N.
Y., the date of his birth being August 4th, 1787, and of his death at Pleasantville,
Venango county, Pa., June 15th, 1863. They were married at Reading,
N. Y., in 1811. During the war of 1812 Greeley Davis enlisted in the American
army, was stationed principally at Ticonderoga, and for his meritorious
services received a soldier's land warrant. A partial record of his children
would read somewhat as follows: Lot B., born in 1812, twice married, first to
Susan Cencipaugh, secondly to Julia Hudson, and resides at Watkins, N. Y.;
John D., born in 1814, died after the family removed to Warren, Pa.; Barnum,
married Manda Wright, died in Illinois; Alpheus J.; Mary, born in 1822, married
Flavius J. Benedict and resides at Pleasantville, Pa.; Meredith and Miranda,
twins, born in 1824, the former twice married, first to Amanda Benley, secondly to Anna Evans, and now resides in Clearfield county, Pa.; the latter
married Daniel Whitney, and resides in Buffalo, N. Y.; Priscilla Ann married
James H. Clark, and resides in New York city; Frances married Marshall
Couch, died in 1858; Samuel married Adeline Henderson, and resides at York,
Neb.; Luther married Mary Houston, and resides in Warren county, Ill.;
Ephraim married Elizabeth Dale, and resides at Tionesta, Pa.
Alpheus J. Davis received his education at Reading and at Warren, Pa., to which place the Davis family moved in 1833. At fifteen years of age, leaving his older brothers to assist on the farm, he was apprenticed to a clothier, and served three years. Then, wishing to continue his education, he passed the next three years at school in Warren. Afterward he engaged in the lumber business, and continued to be most actively and extensively connected with that interest through all his side issues of other business operations. He served a year as constable of Warren borough with such fidelity that the people earnestly importuned him to serve longer, but the pressure of his private affairs, and his dislike for public office constrained him to refuse. In 1858 he opened a flour and feed store, in which he remained two years. Meantime he was appointed the first express agent of Warren county, and he held that office with signal credit until his resignation in 1861, in favor of his friend, L D. Crandall. He had always been successful in business enterprises, selling out readily at good opportunities. Upon the first development of petroleum he built on Oil Creek a refinery with a capacity for sixty barrels per diem, which, after successfully managing for three years, he sold, and returned to the lumber business. From 1876 to 1883 he owned the largest drug store in Warren.
Although a strong Democrat, he has never taken any active part in political matters, preferring rather to assist in advancing the material interests of his own town. He is a member of several town and county associations, and has performed the duties which have devolved upon him with credit to himself and advantage to others. He contributes liberally to the support of the Presbyterian Church, of which his wife is a member.
In 1852 he married Nancy J. Miles, daughter of Robert Miles, a sketch of whose life appears in this work. They have two children, Jessie Miles, wife of Dr. A. C. McAlpine, of Warren, and Annie Grace, now residing with her parents.
Alpheus Davis, 1820 - 1910
Wife Nancy (Miles) Davis, 1827 - 1911
|Photograph courtesy of Jonathan Hart|
Oakland Cemetery, Warren
DAVIS, Emry - Sugar Grove twp (page xxv, Brief Personals *)
Emry Davis, a resident of Sugar Grove, Warren county, was born at Busti, N. Y., in 1827. He was a son of Emry and Amy (Aiken) Davis. He was a native of Wardsboro, Vt., and his wife was born in Pittstown, N. Y.; they died in Busti, he in 1860, and she in 1870. Emry married Martha L. Robertson, of Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1854. They have had a family of three children born to them — Arabella, Adams, and James. Arabella married C. M. Short, a banker of Sugar Grove. Adams was a graduate of the Sugar Grove Seminary, the commercial department in the class of 1886. Mr. Davis was a member of the New York Legislature in 1862, and supervisor, and has also held other offices in Busti, N. Y. He settled in Sugar Grove in 1870, and in 1872 he engaged in the manufacture of Hutch's universal cough syrup, Davis's home relief for pain, Dr. A. H. Davis's family pills, and Wilson's rheumatism remedy, with offices at Jamestown, N. Y., and Sugar Grove.
DAVIS, Erastus A. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (pages xxiv-xxv, Brief Personals *)
Erastus A. Davis was born in Youngsville in August, 1837. He was married on March 28, 1860, to Adelia Hamblin. They have a family of three children — Minnie C., Emma H., and Archie G.. Adelia Davis was a daughter of David and Elsie (Davis) Hamblin. Mr. Davis was councilman for seven years, burgess one term, a school director for three years, and also held other minor town and district offices. He was a son of William W. and Mary A. (Blakesley) Davis; she was born in Granville, Washington county, N. Y., July 13, 1806, and died June 12, 1881, and her husband, William W., was born in Westmoreland county in 1798. They were married on December 31, 1823, and had a family of six sons and three daughters— Emeline, Charles C., C. B., Prudence, Selden L., E. A., Ruben B., William P., and Cordelia A.. William W. Davis was an early and successful river pilot, farmer and lumberman. Two of his children — Cyrus B. and Erastus A. — are engaged in the manufacture of carriages, wagons, and sleighs, and carriage smithing and repairing in Youngsville. They first engaged in 1858, purchasing the business of C. B. Davis, who first became engaged in 1857. Cyrus B. Davis was married in 1849 to Laura Hull, of Youngsville. They have four children. Cyrus B. was born in 1829.
DAVIS, Willard J. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (pages xxv-xxvi, Brief Personals *)
Willard J. Davis was born in Youngsville, Warren county, in 1828. He was married in 1850 to Laura Littlefield, who was born in Brokenstraw township in 1829. She died in March, 1868, leaving a family of three children — Walter L., Homer F., and Mary Alice, who was married in 1881 to Mr. J. L. Babbitt, of Grand Valley. Willard J. Davis then married his second wife, Meada Root, of Farmington, in September, 1869. They have two children—Grace, born in 1870; and Joe. Mr. Davis is a representative man of his town; was a justice of the peace for five years, a school director for twenty-four years, and is active in all interests relating to his town. He was reared on his father's farm, but at an early age gave his attention to the culture of bees, and is now the largest apiarist in Western Pennsylvania, and is also engaged in general farming. He was a son of Abraham and Ruth (Mead) Davis. She was born in Meadville on August 16, 1789, and her husband, Abraham, was born in New Jersey on March 22, 1782. They were married on November 12, 1807, and had a family of ten children — Elijah, born in 1813; Darius, born in 1815; William A., born in 1817; John, born in 1819; Asahel, born in 1824; P. Fillmore, born in 1825; Willard J., born in 1828; Elsie, born in 1808; Susan, born in 1809 ; and Anna, born in 1820. Elsie died in 1850, and John in 1840. Abraham died on March 14, 1863, and his wife, Ruth, died on January 25, 1867. Abraham was an early teacher, and became a successful farmer. He was also interested in the lumber business, and shipped lumber to New Orleans via the Allegheny River. He was a son of Elijah and Desiah (Littell) Davis. Elijah settled in Warren county soon after the close of the Revolutionary War. They had a family of six sons and three daughters, only one of whom, the youngest, is now living—James, now eighty-two years of age. Elijah was born in 1757, and participated in the War of the Revolution, and died in the northern part of the county in 1823.
DAVIS, William A. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxv, Brief Personals *)
William A. Davis was born in Youngsville on April 18, 1818. He was a son of Abraham and Ruth (Mead) Davis, who were married on November 12, 1807, in Warren county. They had a family of six sons and two daughters — Elijah, born in 1813; Darius, born in 1815; William A., born in 1818; Asahel, born in 1824; P. Fillmore, born in 1825; Willard J., born in 1828; Susan Whitney, born in 1809; and Anna Devendorf, born in 1820. Abraham Davis was born on Long Island in March, 1782, and was a son of Elijah and Desiah Davis. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and settled in Warren county about the year 1801. Abraham's father had a family of nine children, only one of whom is now living—Mr. James Davis, now eighty-two years of age. William A. Davis was married on February 22, 1839, to Prudence A. Blakeslee, who was born in Crawford county in 1820. They have had a family of six children — Robert E., born on December 23, 1839; Reuben P., born on May 17, 1842; John W., born on November 25, 1844; Laura A., bom on September 8, 1848; Susan H., born on August 12, 1853; Charles L., born August 31, 1868; Laura A., married in 1866 to Burt Hotchkiss. Susan H. was married in 1872 to G. Y. Ball; Robert E. married Harriet A. Hamblin in 1859; Reuben P. married Agnes A. Carrie in 1866, and John W. was married in 1867 to Sarah Holt. William A. Davis now owns and occupies the old homestead of two hundred acres, which was purchased by his father in 1814. Prudence was a daughter of Reuben and Prudence Blakesley, who were born and married in Washington county, N. Y., and settled in Crawford county in 1817, where they died.
DAWSON, William R. - Tidioute, Deerfield twp (page cviii, Brief Personals *)
William R. Dawson was born in Allegheny township, Venango county, in 1844, and in 1866 located in Tidioute; since that time has been engaged in mercantile business; in January, 1866, was appointed postmaster by the president.
DEAN, Daniel A. - Columbus twp (page xxvi, Brief Personals *)
Daniel A. Dean was born in Cazenovia, Madison county, N. Y., in 1822. He was a son of Harvey and Maria (Bostwick) Dean. Harvey was born in Massachusetts, and Maria, his wife, was born in Rhode Island. They settled in French Creek, Chautauqua county, N. Y., where they died. They settled in French Creek in 1825, and had a family of six sons and three daughters. Three of the sons, Charles, Seymour, and Harvey, enlisted and served in the army. Charles died while in service, and Seymour was wounded. Daniel A. Dean was married in 1845 to Cordelia Coe, of Chautauqua county, N. Y. She died in 1852, leaving two children — James and Mary C.. Daniel then married his second wife, Mary Jane Holmes, of Leon, Cattaraugus county, N. Y., in 1856. They had a family of four children born to them — Robert, Charles, Jesse, and Clara, who is now a teacher.
DEMING, Andrew J. - West Spring Creek p. o., Spring Creek twp (page xxvi, Brief Personals *)
Andrew J. Deming was born in Otsego county, N. Y., in 1834, and came to Warren county in 1837. He is a farmer, and now owns and occupies a farm of twenty-one acres. He married Sarah E. Tucker, of Spring Creek, by whom he had a family of three children — George E., Miriam A., and Frank R.. Andrew J. Deming enlisted in the 42d Pennsylvania Reserves; was wounded at Fredericksburg in 1862; taken prisoner in front of Petersburg, Va., August 19, 1864, and exchanged on the 4th of March, 1865.
DEMING, J. O. - West Spring Creek p. o., Spring Creek twp (page xxvii, Brief Personals *)
Josiah Ogden Deming was born in Unadilla, Otsego county, N. Y., in 1827. He was a son of Josiah, who was born in Connecticut in 1792, and died in 1871. He married Assenette Mudge, of Schoharie county, N. Y., who was born in 1793, and died in 1878. They had ten children, eight of whom are now living. J. O. Deming had six children, five of whom are now living—L. L., A. A., Addie, Clyde, and Mattie. He has held the oflice of auditor and school director.
DEMMON, Lyman - Russellburg p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xxvii, Brief Personals *)
Lyman Demmon was born in Cayuga county, N. Y., in the year 1800, November 15. He married Polly La Due, who bore him children as follows: Hiram, born September 19, 1824; Marriette, March 23, 1830, married Truman Johnson; James W., born February 10, 1834; Sarah Jane, born June 1, 1845, married John W. Agrelius; the last three children were born in Pine Grove. Lyman Demmon died March 7, 1875. His wife still lives, at the advanced age of sixty-nine years. Mr. Demmon was a lumberman and farmer of the town, and a man that stood well in the estimation of his fellow-men. Hiram Demmon, the oldest child, married Margaret Ann Wilson, by whom he had three children—Will S., Mariette (who died soon after birth) and Ada. Hiram Demmon, by honesty and industry, has fairly earned the comforts of life he now enjoys. Formerly he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but now is class-leader of and a member of the United Brethren's Church. James W. Demmon married Lucinda Farnesworth, who bore him four children. His wife died March 4, 1881. In March, 1885, he married Minnie G. Andrews. Mr. Demmon is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Russell, and is at present steward of the church.
DENNIGAN, Patrick - Sugar Grove twp (page xxvi, Brief Personals *)
Patrick Dennigan was born in County Longford, Ireland, in 1820. He was a son of Michael and Catharine (Bannan) Dennigan. They were born and married in Ireland, and with a family of three daughters and two sons immigrated to America and settled in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1826, and moved to Sugar Grove in 1838, where they both died —he in 1848, and she in 1873. Two of their children were born here, and but two are now living— Patrick and Bridget (Mrs. David Dalrymple). Patrick married in 1850 Jane E. Melius, born in Claverack, Columbia county, N. Y., who was born in 1822. They have a family of four children — Charles, Arabelle, Catharine M., and Mary E.. Arabelle married Joseph Kidd in October, 1880.
[Warren County coordinator's note: see the entry (#102) for Patrick Dennigan in Warren County Death Records, 1893 to 1905.
Daughter Mary Dennigan married Snow Richardson sometime between 1885 and 1889, see marriage index, Book 1, entry #277.
Also a wee mention of Mary (Dennigan) Richardson in the November 21, 1950, edition of the Warren Times Mirror under "Sugar Grove" on page 8: C. J. Richardson, Sistersville, W. Va., was a recent caller at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Frodelius. He reported his mother, Mrs. Mary Dennigan Richardson, a former resident of Sugar Grove, [is] enjoying good health. Although she is 93 years of age, she assists with light housework at the home of her daughter, Mary, In Ellerly, Md., where she makes her home.]
DENNISON, Judge James - Sugar Grove borough, Sugar Grove twp (page xxvi, Brief Personals *)
James Dennison was born in Schenectady county, N. Y., in 1817. He was a son of Ezekiel and Margaret (Pulver) Dennison, of Schenectady county, N. Y.; they both died in Cordand county, N. Y. James married in 1849 Rhoda Martin, of Western, Oneida county, N. Y., who was born in 1830. They have eleven children now living —Arthur W., Will E., Martin, Edgar, Elsworth, Clayton, Barbara J., Florence, Helen, Kate, and Gerda. Jacob, Robert, and Mary have died; Jacob and Robert enlisted in the army and were both brevetted captain for bravery in service: Mary was a teacher. Judge Dennison settled in Sugar Grove township in 1850. He was elected school director in 1851 and continued in that office for seventeen years; he was associate judge from 1866 to 1871, and county auditor for six years. He purchased his present homestead of ninetv-two acres in the borough in 1883.
DEWEY, Daniel A. - Columbus twp (pages xxvi-xxvii, Brief Personals *)
Daniel A. Dewey was born in Sherburne, Chenango county, N. Y., May 27, 1821. He was a son of John and Maria (Whittaker) Dewey. Maria was born in Rhode Island, and her husband, John, was born in Lebanon, Conn. They were married in Chenango county, N. Y., and with two sons, Richard and Daniel A., settled in Columbus in 1824. They had a family of five children born to them, three of whom are now living—Daniel A., William, born in 1826, and Melissa M., born in 1829. The mother, Maria, died in 1860, and her husband, John, in 1870. Daniel Dewey was married in 1847 to Maria Louise Lawrence, who was born in Providence, R. I. They have had a family of five children born to them— Nellis Edgar, Daniel M., Lola M., Lillie M., and Lottie P.. Mr. Dewey was justice of the peace for five years, and from early age has always been an active and energetic business man of his town. He has been engaged in many enterprises. He first was a teacher and professor of penmanship; was also a lumber merchant, shipper and manufacturer, and engaged in milling, and the building of mills. He also owned the Columbus Hotel, which he conducted in 1847. He became engaged in the mercantile business and was in the same until 1875.
[Warren County coordinator's note: From the Thursday, January 12, 1899, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 4, column 4, under the heading "Personal Mention.": Geo. F. Yates went to Columbus, Ohio this morning to attend the funeral of the late Daniel A. Dewey.]
DIBLE, John - Warren p. o.. Pleasant twp (page xxvii, Brief Personals *)
John Dible is a wagon maker and farmer, and was born in Alsace, France, June 24, 1836. He was a son of Jacob and Magdalena (Jacobs) Dible, who settled in Pleasant township in 1847. His father was a miller by trade, but after coming to this country engaged in farming, and cleared the largest part of 100 acres opposite Warren. He had a family of five children — Magdalena, John, Saloma, Jacob, and Henry. John Dible learned his trade in Warren. He now owns and occupies the old homestead farm in Pleasant township. He was married August 5, 1861, to Mary A. Amann, a daughter of George and Catherine (Eisler) Amann, of Pleasant township, by whom he has had a family of six children — Lewis J., Isabelle M., Clara L., Benjamin F., Janet E., Gertrude G.. Clara died at the age of one year and seven months.
DICKINSON, James Harvey - Ackley Station p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xxviii, Brief Personals *)
James Harvey Dickinson was born in the town of Lisle, Broome county, N. Y., December 12, 1819, where he lived till about the year 1840, when he came to Jerusalem, Yates county. While residing at the latter place he married Mary Ann Rider, and came to Pine Grove, locating in the east part of the town on a tract of 100 acres, nearly all timber. He bought and operated the old "Andrews mill," using water power up to about fifteen years ago, since when steam power has been used. By his first marriage Mr. Dickinson had three children — Elizabeth, Charles G., and James. His second wife was Sarah Ann Neate, by whom he had one child — Mary L., who, since the death of her mother, has charge of the household affairs. Mr. Dickinson comes of good stock, noted for generosity and thrift. He contributed liberally toward the erection of the United Brethren Church at "Cable Hollow," and is steward of the society. As a lumberman and farmer he has been successful, and enjoys the comforts of life, earned by his own industry.
DIEFENDORF, Doctor S. C. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxvii, Brief Personals *)
S. C. Diefendorf, a physician and surgeon, settled in Warren county in 1881, coming there from California, and in 1884 he settled in Youngsville, in the practice of his profession. He was a graduate from the Geneva Medical College of New York, in the class of 1867 and 1868, after which he first settled in Syracuse, N. Y., and in 1871 he went to California. He was born in Jefferson county, N. Y., in 1847, and was married in 1878 to Hattie A. Smith, a daughter of Horace and Martha Smith, of Geneva, Ill. They have two adopted children—Adelbert and Roberta.
DIETCH, Nicholas - Warren p. o., Pleasant twp (page xxvii, Brief Personals *)
Nicholas Dietch, sexton of Oakland Cemetery, was born in Alsace, France, May 30, 1836. He was a son of Nicholas Dietch and Johanna (Gross) Dietch. He located m Warren county in 1852, and has resided in Pleasant township since 1858, and for twenty-one years has been sexton of Oakland Cemetery. He was married in 1858 to Francis Foltz, a daughter of Marcus Foltz and Elizabeth (Ownes), of Pleasant township. They have had a family of fifteen children born to them—Joseph N., Lorena S., Elizabeth M., Anna M., Adelia B., Theodora E., Charles E., Agnes F., Fred N., Henry F., Alice J., Lillie R., Dora B., Kate M., and Mary J..
DINSMOOR, Charles - Warren Borough (pages 650 -652 *)
The subject of this sketch is in the fifth generation
in direct descent from John Dinsmoor, the founder of the family
in America, who came from Londonderry, Ireland, in 1719, and settled at
Windham, N. H. John Dinsmoor, although coming from Ireland, was a
Scotchman, his parents having been born and raised in Scotland. To the
family of his descendants belong the Governors Samuel Dinsmoor, the elder
and younger, whose pure and vigorous administrations are still remembered
in the Granite State. The elder Governor Dinsmoor was in Congress in
1811-12, and as his name was first on the roll, he is the first member recorded
as voting for the series of measures which led to the declaration of war between
this country and Great Britain. To this family also belong Robert
Dinsmoor, the "Rustic Bard," a New England poet, who achieved something
more than a merely local celebrity in the early part of the present century,
and some of whose songs, in the Scotch dialect, deserve to live along with
those of Scotland's famous poets; and also Colonel Silas Dinsmoor, the famous
Indian agent and teacher of the arts of civilization to the Cherokee and Choctaw
nations, and William B. Dinsmore, now president of the Adams Express
Charles Dinsmoor was born at Alabama Center, Genesee county, N. Y., on the 19th day of September, 1834. He is the son of George F. and Catharine (Harper) Dinsmoor. His mother, the daughter of George Harper, of Elba, Genesee county, N. Y., died in the year 1872, aged sixty-six years. His father, born at Keene, N. H., in 1794, removed from the State of New York to Elk township, in this county, in 1836, and remained there until his death, in 1868. Charles received a fair education, though it was obtained against great disadvantages and under circumstances of peculiar hardship. He attended the common schools in Elk township for a time, but very irregularly, owing to his services being required in the support of a large family in poor circumstances. After he left home in 1850 he became, through his own exertions, successively a student at the academies at Warren, Smethport, and Coudersport, Pa., and Randolph, N. Y. He was engaged in the printing business at Smethport, Pa., Corning, N. Y., Coudersport, Pa., Randolph, N. Y., and Warren, Pa., in connection with teaching and attending school, for about eleven years, during the last three of which he was editor of the Warren Ledger. During the years 1856 and 1857 he attended the Randolph Academy one year, and read law in the office of Weeden & Henderson, attorneys of that place, six months. In 1858 he came to Warren, and continued his law studies under B. W. Lacy. He was admitted to the bar of Warren county in September, 1859. In 1860 he was appointed assistant United States marshal, and took the census of the northern half of Warren county. In February, 1861, he was elected justice of the peace for Warren borough, and was successively re-elected for fifteen years, practicing law in the courts in the mean time. He retired from the office of justice voluntarily in 1876, and has never since held any office of his seeking. He has been elected to many positions in the borough government, from town clerk to chief burgess. In 1878 he was elected unanimously to the office of school director, and has been continuously in that position ever since. No man, probably, has contributed more in that position to bring about the present high condition of the schools of Warren than Mr. Dinsmoor. From the beginning he has taken a deep interest in the association now known as the Struthers Library Association, and was for several years its treasurer and a member of its Board of Control. Since 1868 he has been connected with the order of Odd Fellows, and is now a past grand master of Warren Lodge No. 339. Politically, Mr. Dinsmoor is a Democrat, of very decided opinions. He has, at times, taken an active part in politics, having, as chairman of the Democratic County Committee, led the party of the county in the only two successful contests for the office of member of Congress for this district, which it has made in the last thirty years.
Mr. Dinsmoor is now, as a lawyer, engaged in the practice of his profession in Warren and several adjoining counties, and in the Supreme Court of this State, and the United States Circuit and District Courts. His abilities have marked him as a man peculiarly adapted to the functions of referee and master, and his legal opinions, delivered in these positions, are quite numerous in the Reports of this State.
In October, 1861, he married Elizabeth C, daughter of Abijah Morrison, who was elected sheriff of Warren county in 1840 and again in 1846, and is one of the only two men who ever held the office under two elections. He was the son of James Morrison, and was born in Mead township, as now constituted, in 1807, on what is now known as the Rogers farm. While he was a young man, his father, James Morrison, purchased what have ever since been known as Morrison Flats, just below Warren, and erected thereon a large dwelling house, which is now one of the oldest landmarks in the county. Abijah Morrison was also an extensive lumberman and merchant in this county, and the community sustained a severe loss in his death, in 1869. He had always been a zealous Democrat in politics, and was many years a constable in Warren borough. His wife was Euphemia J., daughter of Josiah Deming, a leading pioneer in Spring Creek township. She died at Warren in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Dinsmoor have had four children, as follows: Imogen G., born October 17, 1867, and was graduated from the Warren high school in May, 1885; Loten A., born January 25, 1870, graduated from the Warren high school in the spring of 1887; Harry, born in August, 1873, died in March, 1874; and Frederick, born January 13, 1875.
|Photograph courtesy of Jonathan Hart|
DINSMOOR, Silas - Warren p. o., Elk twp (pages xxvii-xxviii, Brief Personals *)
The Dinsmoor family was among the pioneer families of Elk township. Of the children, David was one of the foremost men. They came here many years ago. On the farm which was owned by David during his lifetime was a valuable deposit of coal, which had been opened several years before it came into his possession. In his family were ten children, viz. — Winfield, Louisa, Silas, Eugene, Byron, Charlie, Alice, Myron, Susan, and Clara. Of these children all but Byron and Susan are still living. The farm has passed to the ownership of Silas, who now occupies it. Originally it comprised 1,500 acres. The coal found here is bituminous, but its distance from any railroad, and by reason of the great consumption of gas as a heating element, no special inducement offers for its extensive operation. The annual product varies from 1,200 to 1,500 tons. Its quality, however, is excellent, and it is remarkably free from all objectionable deposits incident to coal deposits.
DONALDSON, Andrew - Barnes p. o., Sheffield twp (page xxviii, Brief Personals *)
Andrew Donaldson was born in Kittanning, Armstrong county, March 3, 1800, and was married to Christina Dougherty April 20, 1826. They came to Sheffield in 1848. Their children now living are Margaret, James, Hannah, and John. Andrew Donaldson died August 17, 1867; his widow and eldest son, James, reside on the old homestead. James enlisted in Company D, 111th Pennsylvania Vols., in 1861, under the command of E. M. Pierce, but afterwards commanded by Captain Alexander, of Warren. The first producing oil well was drilled in this town on the Donaldson farm, 1881, since when an aggregate of eleven wells have been drilled, and their products afford a handsome revenue for the family.
DUNHAM, Minor B. - Sheffield twp (pages 644-646 *)
Minor B. Dunham was born in Tompkins county, N. Y., on the 25th
day of January, 1829. His grandfather, Thomas Dunham, emigrated
from New Jersey to the town of Ovid in that county in 1805, and engaged in
the occupation of a farmer. He died on the 22d of January, 1845, aged seventy-nine years, in Steuben county, N. Y., where he had passed the later years
of his life. Richard Dunham, father of the subject of this sketch and the fifth
of eight children, seven of whom are sons, was one of the most remarkable and
prominent men who figured in the early history of Warren county. He was
born in New Jersey in 1802, accompanied his father to Tompkins county, of
course, when he was but three years of age. He received his education— a
good one for those days—in Ithaca, Tompkins county, and at the age of eighteen
years began to teach school. Although he became owner of a farm soon
after, he continued teaching until 1832, when he exchanged his farm in New
York State for one in Warren county, Pa. Meantime, in July, 1826, he was
united in marriage with Laura, daughter of Enos Allen, of Yates county, N.
Y., and a descendant of Ethan Allen, the famous leader of the Green Mountain
Boys. Laura Allen was born in Saulsbury, N. Y., in 1805, and went to Yates
county about the year 1817.
In March, 1833, Richard Dunham removed to his new farm in what is now the township of Cherry Grove, in Warren county, and built his cabin on the site afterward occupied by the first and greatest oil well in the once promising village of Garfield. At that time the town, which is far from clear of timber now, was indescribably wild. The weather was most inclement, there being sixteen inches of snow on the ground. In July, after his settlement, Richard Dunham began the life of a lumberman in earnest. At first he entered the employment of a firm to help them in constructing a saw-mill and a dam, and soon after bought out first one of the partners, and then the other. He soon removed to Sheffield, in which township he had been preceded only by Timothy and Erastus Barnes. The history of that township refers to many of his business operations. There he was quite an active politician, and was for twenty consecutive years a justice of the peace. He remained at the head of his large lumbering interests until 1856, when ill-health forced him to a reluctant retirement. He had always been a man of strict morality, and had trained his children to correct habits and upright conduct. In 1858 he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died in January, 1870, at Warren, and his widow still survives him at an advanced age, and resides near her son, M. B. Dunham. They had eleven children (six sons and five daughters), nine of whom reached maturity, and eight of whom are now living. Of these eleven children, Minor B. Dunham was the second.
Richard Dunham's stone
in the Oakland cemetery, Warren
|Photograph courtesy of Jonathan Hart|
July 8, 1802 - January 30, 1870
The subject of this sketch attended the common schools of Sheffield, after which he passed some time in attendance upon the school at Havana, in Schuyler county, and at Alfred in Allegany county, finishing his education at the age of twenty-one years. Meanwhile he had been pretty thoroughly instructed in the ways of the business world, having begun the management of his father's business as early as 1846. His father's health was never robust, and as soon as M. B. Dunham was old enough to execute his plans, he set the boy at work. Indeed, his first trip on a raft to Pittsburgh was in 1841, when he was but twelve years of age, and he followed the river to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati with great regularity after 1845. He was able to attend school only a small part of the year after twelve years of age. In 1858 he purchased his father's homestead and all the property, and while his father retired, he took complete control of the business, and has managed and increased it to the present time. In 1865, owing to the growing scarcity of timbered lands in Sheffield, he sold his interests there and removed his base of operations to Cherry Grove and Watson, where he has continued ever since. For three years previous to 1871 he was connected with a lumber yard and planing-mill in Sharpsburg, a suburb of Pittsburgh. In 1871 he removed his place of residence to Warren, and in 1876 erected the dwelling house which he now occupies. In 1874 he and three other business men of Warren started a sash factory where the one now owned and operated by L. D. Wetmore now stands, and he retained his interest in that mill for four years. Naturally with the change produced in methods since he began to deal in lumber, and the shifting of the channels of trade, caused by the opening of railroads and other avenues of communication, he has revised and altered his own methods. He is now principally engaged in sending lumber of his own manufacture to Philadelphia and other eastern markets. He has enlarged his estate continually, and is now interested in timbered land in Forest county, where he also owns mills, and in West Virginia. Aside from his individual interests, he has been connected with Colonel L. F. Watson in the lumbering business since 1856, when they bought large timbered tracts. Incidentally, he has taken part in other ventures. He has been a director in the Warren Savings Bank for twelve or fifteen years, and now owns interests in mines, and operates to some extent in oil.
Although at all times intensely interested in public and political affairs, Mr. Dunham is far from being a seeker of office or political patronage. His whole life, since his majority, has been passed in sympathy with the Republican party. His second presidential vote was cast for the electors of John C. Fremont, and from that time to the present he has voted for every successful nominee but Buchanan and Cleveland. He has not deemed it his duty, however, to neglect his business for the sake of holding office, as he would have to do, while there are so many that are willing and eager for the opportunity. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. While residing in Sharpsburg he assisted in the construction of the Union Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, and when he removed to Warren he saw the need of a new Methodist Church edifice there. The present elegant edifice was commenced in June, 1885, and dedicated on the 19th of September, of the following year. In the work of building this house, Mr. Dunham most generously assisted, contributing liberally of his time, labor and money. This makes the third church building to the erection of which he has contributed, the first one being the Methodist Church in Sheffield. He is now a trustee of the church society in Warren.
Minor B. Dunham
|Portrait from History Of Warren County Pennsylvania|
1829 - 1902
Buried in the Oakland Cemetery, Warren
On the 19th of February, 1852, he married Mary M., daughter of Harrison Person, of Ellery, Chautauqua county, N. Y. They have had four children, two of whom only are living. The eldest child, Clara E., was born on the 23d of August, 1853, and died on the 6th of February, 1875; George H., born October 27, 1854, married Fannie Crosby of Steuben county, N. Y., in 1884, after having had the advantage of a good education at Mount Union College, and at the Business College at Pittsburgh, and now aids his father in business; Frank, born April 15, 1856, died about a year later from the effects of an injury received by falling; and Jessie M., born April 6, 1862, named from Fremont's wife, is now the wife of Dr. Richard B. Stewart of Warren, and the mother of two children.
DUNHAM, Myron - Enterprise p. o.. Southwest twp (page xxviii, Brief Personals *)
Myron Dunham was born in Southwest township in 1841. He was a son of John and Elizabeth (Campbell) Dunham. Myron was married in 1864 to Velona Ames, who was born in Crawford county. They had a family of two children born to them — Maitland M. and Stella. Maitland was a graduate of the Randolph Academy in 1886, and is now a medical student. Myron was elected county commissioner two terms, served in the building of the county court-house, and was appointed postmaster in 1870, which office he still holds, and by a statement rendered July 1, 1886, shows but a balance due the government of two cents. He is engaged in a general merantile business, in which business he has been engaged since 1865, and which he still carries on. His father, John Dunham, was drowned in the Allegheny River in 1842, leaving a widow and eight children, seven of whom are now living. His wife, Elizabeth, was born in 1809. John was engaged in farming and was also largely interested in the manufacture of lumber.
DUPREE, Hugh - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxviii, Brief Personals *)
Hugh Dupree was born in Brokenstraw, on February 11, 1810, and was a son of Richard and Elizabeth (Miller) Dupree. Elizabeth was born in Juniata, and Richard, her husband, was born in Northumberland county. They were married in Brokenstraw in 1809, and have had a family of nine daughters and five sons, of whom five sons and four daughters are now living — Hugh, John, Benjamin F., Enoch, Josiah W., Ann, Susan, Adaline, and Martha L.. Hugh and Martha L. have remained single, and their mother, during the latter days of her life, was cared for by them. She died in 1864 at the age of seventy-two years. Her husband, Richard, died May 10, 1847. He was born in 1787, and settled in Brokenstraw April 12, 1798, with his stepfather, John Andrews. Richard settled at Matthew's Run, in 1821, where he purchased a large tract of land. His sons, Hugh and Benjamin F., have held most of the town offices, and are now engaged in farming.
DUPREE, Richard M. - Chandler's Valley p. o., Sugar Grove twp (pages xxviii-xxix, Brief Personals *)
Richard M. Dupree was born in Brokenstraw township in 1843, the son of John and Samantha (Evens) Dupree. She was born in Sugar Grove December 25, 1820; they were married in 1839. John was born in Brokenstraw township. They have had six children, three of whom are now living— Deforest, born in 1840; Richard M., born in 1843; and Loana, born in 1846. Samantha died in 1883. They settled in Sugar Grove in 1859. Deforest married Almena Hazelton in 1870, and they have four children. John Duprey was a son of Richard and Elizabeth (Miller) Duprey; he was born in Northumberland county and she in Juniata county. They were married in Brokenstraw in 1809, and had a family of nine daughters and five sons— Hugh, John, Benjamin F., Enoch, Josiah W., Ann, Susan, Adaline, and Martha L., now living. Elizabeth, born in 1792, died in 1864; Richard, born in 1787, was drowned in the Allegheny River in 1847; he settled on the Brokenstraw in 1798, with his stepfather (John Anderson) and his mother.
DURANT, William - Fentonville p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xxix, Brief Personals *)
William Durant, a native of Massachusetts, was born January 8, 1797, and came to Pine Grove prior to 1824. In 1829 he married Mary Porter, granddaughter of Samuel Anderson, with whose family she lived at the time of their marriage. The children of this marriage were Nathan Porter, born in 1831, and died in 1847; Charles K., born in 1838; William, born in 1840, and died in 1875; Martha C., born in 1844, married Charles H. Wilsie, esq., of Pine Grove; Nathan P., born in 1847; William Durant died in 1869. His widow still resides on the farm with her son Charles. Mr. Durant during his long residence in the town was highly respected by his fellow men. In early days he engaged in lumbering in a small way, but latterly he conducted a farm of 148 acres on the Conewango, a few miles north of Russell.
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2021 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors