Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
Lebanon County was formed from parts of Dauphin and Lancaster Counties on February 16, 1813.
Bordering Lebanon County are Berks,
and Schuylkill Counties
- Query Page
Please take a few moments to browse the posted queries in our archive; perhaps you can help someone.
- Links and Organizations
A variety of links of genealogical interest are provided. In addition, addresses and telephone numbers for various Lebanon County libraries and organizations are listed.
The Lebanon County Historical Society is an especially valuable resource for genealogical research.
- Genealogy Resources
This page contains tips on performing genealogical research and links to on-line genealogical resources.
If you are just beginning your genealogical research and have questions about how to proceed, please read Dan Hyde's FAQ on the subject.
Biographies of Lebanon County residents are posted on this page.
- Church and Graveyard Records
Records for several Lebanon County, Pennsylvania churches and graveyards have been contributed and may be examined. Contributions are welcome!
- Courthouse Records
A number of wills, deeds, orphans' court abstracts, tax lists, and other public-domain civil records for Lebanon County, Pennsylvania are available. The amount of information currently available is quite limited. Contributions are welcome!
- Lebanon County Geography
Maps and links to on-line mapping sites are provided.
An archive of genealogies (GEDCOM files) of Lebanon County families is maintained.
- Reference Look-up Services
A number of people have generously volunteered to look up information in selected reference books. Consult this page for a list of these individuals and reference books.
Individuals actively researching Lebanon County families are listed on this page.
- USGenWeb Special Projects
Lebanon County Information
- The town of Lebanon was laid out in 1756 and originally called Steitztown. Lebanon was incorporated as a borough on February 20, 1821.
- Cleona was incorporated as a borough on March 25, 1929 from North Cornwall & North Lebanon
- Cornwall was incorporated as a borough on October 11, 1925 from Cornwall & South Lebanon
- Jonestown was laid out as a town in 1761 and incorporated as a borough on August 20, 1870 from Swatara Township.
- Mt. Gretna was incorporated as a borough in 1926 from South Londonderry & West Cornwall
- Myerstown was laid out as a town in 1768 and incorporated as a borough in 1910 from Jackson Township.
- Palmyra was incorporated as a borough on November 10, 1913 from Londonderry Township.
- Richland was incorporated as a borough on October 17, 1906 from Millcreek Township.
- First Class Townships
- Annville was settled in 1762 and incorporated in September 1799. Annville Township was incorporated in 1912.
- West Lebanon Township was incorporated on March 13, 1888 from North Lebanon Township and was incorporated as a First Class Township in 1902 or 1906 (Township Commissioners indicate both dates!)
- Second Class Townships
- Bethel Township was settled about 1737 and incorporated in May 1793 from Lebanon Township.
- Cold Spring Township was settled about 1775 and incorporated on November 3, 1853 from Union and East Hanover Townships.
- East Hanover Township was incorporated in February 1785 from Hanover Township.
- Heidelberg Township was settled about 1720 and incorporated in February 1757 while part of Lancaster County.
- Jackson Township was settled about 1700 and incorporated in 1813 from Bethel and Heidelberg Townships.
- Millcreek Township was settled in 1720 and incorporated on February 26, 1844 from Jackson and Heidelberg Townships.
- North Annville Township was incorporated on July 30, 1845 from Annville Township.
- North Cornwall Township was settled about 1737 and incorporated from Cornwall Township.
- North Lebanon Township was incorporated on March 18, 1840 from Lebanon Township.
- North Londonderry Township was incorporated on March 16, 1894 from Londonderry Township.
- South Annville Township was incorporated on July 30, 1845 from Annville Township.
- South Lebanon Township was incorporated in March 1840 from Lebanon Township.
- South Londonderry Township was incorporated on March 16, 1894 from Londonderry Township.
- Swatara Township was settled about 1737 and incorporated in 1813 from Bethel and Hanover Townships.
- Union Township was settled about 1738 and incorporated on September 26, 1842 from East Hanover Township.
- West Cornwall Township was incorporated on March 13, 1893 from Cornwall Township.
For additional information on the Townships and Boroughs of Lebanon County, consult the following sources:
- Incorporation Dates for Pennsylvania Municipalities, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Internal Affairs, 1965.
- Frederick A. Godcharles, Pennsylvania, Political, Governmental, Military and Civil: Political and Civil History Volume, 1933.
- William Henry Egle, History of the Counties of Dauphin & Lebanon in the Commonwealth of
No effort has been made to verify the accuracy of the information presented here; however, for each record the contributor is identified.
Links to web sites that are not part of the USGenWeb Project are provided for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of the web sites or their contents by The USGenWeb Project.
Contributions to the Lebanon County, Pennsylvania PAGenWeb site are welcome.
Notice to Contributors: Whenever possible, please submit exact transcriptions of the original records. Please do not alter, condense, or interpret the original information. Editorial comments are acceptable but should be clearly identified as such and should be kept separate from the original information.
I do not live in Lebanon County nor am I easily able to obtain information from Lebanon County. My role is to maintain this web site. Please do not send me requests for information.
Please send comments, contributions, and corrections to David N. Blauch.
© Copyright 1996-2011,
David N. Blauch