Part of the PAGenWeb Project
IRVINE, Andrew - Glade twp [compiled by Warren County coordinator]
Andrew Irvine was born May 28, 1789, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.
"Andrew Irvine bought 394 acres of land of Orren Hook in 1834, which included the farm now owned by his son, Guy C. Irvine, and in 1835 built the brick portion of the house which is still standing on the farm. In 1836 he removed into it from Bradford county, when Guy C. Irvine was in his thirteenth year, he being a native of Towanda, in Bradford county. Andrew Irvine was born near Watsontown, Pa., and emigrated to Bradford county in 1813 or 1814. He was a tanner and currier by trade, and followed that business in Towanda, and in some measure here in connection with farming and lumbering on the river. He was a prominent and useful business man, and always took an active and vigorous part in the matters relating to the wellbeing of the township. He died at his home in Glade in 1853, and was followed by his widow about 1866. His eldest daughter, Jane D., died there in June, 1886; Mary F. died in 1876; B. Franklin died in Tununangwant, N. Y., more than ten years ago. Guy C. and Thomas now reside in Glade, and a daughter, Catherine Parker, lives in Bradford." (Source: page 554 *)
1850 census, Glade Township, Warren County (family # 2276):
Andrew Irvine died January 4, 1853. Wife Catherine (McAffee) Irvine, was born in 1793, died 1864.
All but Franklin and Thomas were buried in the Irvine Cemetery, Warren County.
Return to top
IRVINE, Thomas - Pittsfield, Pittsfield twp (pages xlviii-xlix, Brief Personals *)
Thomas Irvine was born in Freehold in November, 1835. He was married in 1862 to Adalaide Frisbie, who was born in Homer, Cortland county, N. Y. They have had one daughter born to themóIda M. (who was born in 1863, and was married in 1880 to Charles E. Price. They have had two children born to them, Alta and Millie). Adalaide was a daughter of Andrew M. and Minerva (Alvord) Frisbie. Mrs. Frisbie was born in Homer, Cortland county, N. Y., and her husband Andrew was born in Jefferson county, the same State. They settled in Pittsfield in 1858. Thomas Irvine was a son of Samuel and Margaret Irvine. Margaret died in 1870, leaving a family of seven children, six of whom are now livingóThomas, Martin, Mary A., Jane, Charles, Margaret. His paternal grandparents were James and Esther Irvine, who were among the early settlers of Warren county.
[Warren County coordinator's note: The 1850 census for Freehold Township, Warren County, lists the following children of Samuel and Margaret Irvine: Thomas, 14, Benjamin, 12, Martha or Martin (the census taker had some difficulty with this entry), 11, Mary Ann, 9, Eliza I., 8, Charles 6, and Margaret E., 5.
On the 1870 census for Pittsfield Township, Thomas Irvine, 34, was listed as a lumberman, but by the 1880 census, same township, "Tho's" was a farmer, age 45.
Just to keep things interesting, on the 1870 census for Warren County were (of course) two other men named Thomas Irvine:
End county coordinator note]
Return to top
IRVINE, DR. William A. - Irvine, Brokenstraw twp (pages 671-672 *)
The subject of this sketch was born in the old
fort at Erie, Pa., on the 28th of September, 1803, and died at his residence
near Irvine, Warren county, on the 7th of September, 1886. He derived his
name from a Scotch family, to some of whom a grant of land was made in
Ulster, Ireland, by James VI. His grandfather, William Irvine, was a general
in the War of the Revolution, and an intimate friend of Washington, whose
letters, now in the possession of the family, show that important military movements
in the struggle for the independence of the colonies were committed to
his command. Dr. Irvine's father, Callender Irvine, was in command of the
fort at Erie when his son was born. The death of the grandfather, which had
occurred the year previous to the birth of William A. Irvine, made it necessary
for the father to go to Philadelphia, and the journey was performed on horseback,
the child being carried the entire distance in the arms of his father.
Soon after, Callender Irvine resigned his command in the army for the purpose
of devoting himself to the business left by his father, but he afterward became
commissary-general of the army of the United States, and retained that position
some thirty-four years, to his death. His correspondence with President Jefferson reveals the confidence of the author of the Declaration of Independence
in his integrity, and that he was directed to look after the speculations of Indian
agents in this part of the country. He had inherited lands in Warren
and Erie counties, some of which were granted to General Irvine for military
services. Every season he came from Philadelphia and passed the summer,
and the place where Dr. Irvine died was his summer home on these excursions.
When he became old enough to perform this long journey on horseback, Dr.
Irvine accompanied his father on these expeditions.
After receiving a liberal education, William A. Irvine studied medicine and was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. Immediately upon his graduation he removed to Irvine, which, with the exception of short intervals, was his home from that time to his death. He took an active interest in the development of the resources of this part of the State. He took a prominent part in the building of the first turnpike road from Warren to Franklin, the result of which was the opening of a stage road to Pittsburgh. To this end he devoted his influence, time and means unsparingly. He was also among the pioneers in the early efforts to procure the location of the Sunbury and Erie, now the Philadelphia and Erie Railroad, through this part of the country, giving his personal efforts to the scheme. As a citizen he had an earnest interest in the local and general welfare of the country. Among the first improvements upon his place in Irvine were an iron foundry and a woolen-mill, built by himself. By his intelligence and energy he made his home a pleasant place, and added attractions to the science and art of agriculture. His person was most imposing and graceful, and his manner refined without affectation. He was ever a student of nature and of books. His mind was richly stored with a vast fund of information, which he always turned to account whenever occasion demanded, for he was no less practical than learned. This made him exceedingly attractive to those who came in contact with him in social life.
In 1834 he married a daughter of Stephen Duncan, a prominent planter of Mississippi. She died a number of years ago and was buried near the stone church, on the premises built by them during her lifetime. She was a woman of superior mind and of charitable and unselfish nature, who did all in her power to advance the cause of religion and education in the community in which her lot was cast. Of this marriage there now survive two daughters, Mrs. M. E. I. Biddle and Mrs. Newbold.
The Irvine-Newbold mansion built in 1822 by Callender Irvine
|Photograph courtesy of the Warren Library Association|
Photograph was taken by H.C.Putnam, April 5, 1958,
from aboard Lady Grace, Captain Frederick Way's stern-wheel boat.
The home was razed in 1973.
At the time of his death, Dr. Irvine was president of the Pennsylvania branch of the Society of Cincinnati, and vice-president of the general society.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Much more information on this family, from General William Irvine to Esther Lowndes Newbold, the last of Callender Irvine’s descendants, can be obtained through The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, which houses the collection of Irvine-Newbold family papers, 1766-1955, in pdf format. On the HSP website, search for "Irvine-Newbold family" - the pdf file is located under "Collections," then "Finding Aids."]
Read the obituary of Margaret Ellis Irvine NEWBOLD who died in 1925.
Warren newspaper The Times Observer featured an article about and photograph of the Irvine-Newbold mansion.
Return to top
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2017 Penelope Repko and contributors
© 2008 - 2009 Bill Klauk and contributors