Part of the PAGenWeb


Home  | Back

Greenwood Township at one time comprised all of the present territory of Perry County lying east of the Juniata River, which includes its present territory as well as that of the townships of Liverpool, Buffalo, Howe, and Watts.  In 1763 Stephen Munce took out a warrant for land in Greenwood Township, but which is located in what is now Watts Township. he was made the first tax collector upon the erection of the township in 1767.  Others on the assessment roll of that year were Joseph Greenwood, after whom the township was named, and John Foughts (Pfoutz).  Joseph Greenwood is mentioned by Marcus Hulings, who owned Duncan's Island and who resided at the Dr. George N. Reutter farm--now known as Amity Hall, and the present owner being McClellan Cox--as one of his closest neighbors.  John Foughts (Pfoutz) lived in Pfoutz Valley, which bears his name, most of which lies within the confines of Greenwood Township, as at present constituted.  The name Pfoutz is now extinct here.

Greenwood was formed from a part of the territory of Fermanagh Township, an original township of Cumberland County, on March 25, 1767, being the fourth township formed of the territory now comprising Perry County.  At the July sessions of the courts of that year the boundaries of Fermanagh Township were fixed as follows: "Beginning at the mouth of Cocolamus Creek, up the north side of the Juniata, and to terminate at the middle of the Long Narrows; thence (along the mountain) to the head of Cocolamus Creek; thence down the said creek to the place of beginning."  Hence it will be noted by the above boundaries that that part of Greenwood Township north of the Cocolamus Creek, including the Borough of Millerstown, was in Fermanagh Township and so remained until the organization of Mifflin County (which included the present county of Juniata), on September 19, 1789.  

At the same session of the Cumberland County courts in July, 1767, the boundaries of Greenwood Township were defined thus:  "Beginning at McKee's path, on the Susquehanna River; thence down the said river to the mouth of the Juniata River; thence up the Juniata River to the mouth of the Cocolamus; thence up the same to the crossing of McKee's path; thence by the said path to the place of beginning."  McKee's path, mentioned therein, began at the mouth of the Mahantango Creek, a short distance below the residence of Thomas McKee, on the Susquehanna River.  It followed the line of the present public road which runs through Greenwood Township, Juniata County, westward to the mouth of the Delaware Run, at Thompsontown. 

Then, when Mifflin County was organized, in 1789, the territory that lay between the present county line and McKee's path became a part of Greenwood Township, in Mifflin County (now Juniata), and the territory that lay between the present county line and Cocolamus Creek became a part of Greenwood Township, Perry County.  In 1799 Buffalo Township was created and took off the territory now comprised in Buffalo, Howe and Watts Townships.  In 1823, it was again divided by the erection of Liverpool Township.  January 4, 1854, a petition was presented to the Perry County courts asking that the lines and boundaries of Greenwood Township be altered and a portion of Juniata (now in Tuscarora) Township, lying in the Raccoon Valley, bordering the river, become a part and so remained until the erection of Tuscarora Township, in 1859, when it became a part of that township. 

As now constituted Greenwood Township is bounded on the north by Juniata County, on the east by Liverpool Township, on the south by Buffalo and Howe Townships, and on the west by the Juniata River.  The township is composed of two valleys--Pfoutz and Perry--the former being of limestone soil, and the most fertile section of the county lying east of the Juniata River, and he equal of the best lying west of it.  Perry Valley was once known as Wildcat Valley, but an organization formed in 1884 and known as the Farmers' Mutual Protection Association, was instrumental in having it changed to Perry Valley.  This organization was formed for mutual improvement and to protect its members from the impositions of traveling agents who then infested this country.  The valley is ten miles long and four miles in width.  

Located in Perry Valley there is a small village known as Reward--formerly Liberty Hall--which was laid out in 1847 by John Reifsnyder, on lands of Samuel Grubb.  The first store there was kept by Keck & Goodyear.  In 1882 Mrs. C. A. Long opened a store.  Reward was made a post office in 1883, and so remained until 1905, when rural delivery superceded it.  The mail was first carried twice a week, later three times, and still later, daily.  H. F. Long was in business there for over thirty years.  

The assessment of 1768 contained the following names:


This site is maintained  by Cathy Wentz-Eisenstadt
Copyright 2003-2010.  All Rights Reserved.

This page was last updated on:   03/14/2009

People for better PA Historical Records Access (PaHR-Access)
Learn about the grassroots effort to make older PA state death certificates available on-line!!  Please consider helping.