Tyrone Township is an original
township. It was created in 1754 after the signing of the Albany
treaty. The area of this township included all land (of Perry County)
lying west of the Juniata River.
Toboyne Township was
created in 1763. It is the 2nd of the original 7 townships. Toboyne
was formed from a portion of Tyrone Township. When Toboyne was first
formed, it included the townships later known as Madison and Jackson.
Toboyne is the only township in Perry County that borders on 3 other counties,
namely: Franklin County on the west; Juniata County on the north and
Cumberland County on the south.
Rye Township was created in
1766. It being the 3rd of the original 7 townships. Rye was formed
from a portion of Tyrone Township. When first formed, it's area consisted
of the townships later known as: Penn, Wheatfield, Miller, Oliver,
Juniata, Tuscarora and portions of Centre and Carroll.
Township was created in 1767. It's the 4th of the original 7
townships. Greenwood was formed from a portion of Fermanagh
Township. Fermanagh was an original Cumberland County township.
Greenwood was named after an early settler, Joseph Greenwood. The area of
this township included the portion of Perry County, east of the Juniata River
and south of Cocolamus Creek.
The township had 2 valleys: Pfoutz and Perry (Wildcat).
Juniata Township was
created in 1791. It was the 5th of the original 7 townships. Juniata
was formed from a portion of Rye Township. When it was first created, it's
area included all of the later formed townships known as: Tuscarora and
Oliver Townships and pieces of Miller and Centre.
Buffalo Township was
created in 1799, from lands of
Greenwood Township. It was the 6th of the original 7 townships. It was formed from Greenwood Township. It takes
it's name from the great animal, the Buffalo. When Buffalo was first formed, it also included the areas
of Howe and Watts Townships.
Saville Township was
created in 1817. It was the last, 7th, of the original 7 townships.
It was formed from Tyrone Township. Portions of Saville were later used to
create both Centre and Madison Townships.
Liverpool Township was created in 1823. It
was the first township to be created in Perry County, after it's formation in
1820 from Cumberland. Liverpool was formed from Greenwood Township.
The township was named after the town of Liverpool, which was formed 15 years
Township was created in 1826. It was formed from Rye Township.
Tradition says that this township received it's name because at the time that it
was being viewed, all of it's lands were field's of waving grain.
Wheatfield Township originally contained all of Penn Township and parts of
Miller, Centre and Carroll; these townships were created at a later date.
Centre Township was
created in 1831. It was formed from the lands of the following existing
townships: Saville, Juniata, Wheatfield and Tyrone. Centre Township
received it's name because of it's central location in Perry County. When
it was formed, it contained parts of Oliver, Miller, Carroll and Spring
townships, which were created at later dates.
Carroll Township was
created in 1834. It was formed from the lands of the following existing
townships: Tyrone, Rye and Wheatfield. When it was first formed, it
contained parts of Spring Township, which was created at a later date.
was created in 1836. It was formed from a portion of Toboyne Township
and small pieces from both Saville and Tyrone. Originally this
township was to be named, Marion. It was changed to Madison, to honor
former U.S. President, James Madison.
Madison township can be found listed as Northeast and Southwest Madison
Township for statistical purposes. The township is locally referred to
as Madison Township and Sandy Hill District.
In 1857, the township was divided into two sections for election districts,
known as the Madison District and the Sandy Hill District. In 1866 an
election was held to determine whether or not Madison should be split into 2
separate townships. The majority ruled not to split the
Oliver Township was
created in 1837. It was formed from portions of Juniata, Centre and
Buffalo Townships. Originally this township contained all the land of
Howe Township and part of Miller. The township was named as Oliver, to
further honor Oliver Hazard Perry, the county already using his
Penn Township was
created in 1840. It was formed from a portion of Wheatfield
Township. This particular tract of land, known as Penn Township, was
first part of Tyrone, then Rye and lastly, Wheatfield Townships.
Jackson Township was
created in 1844. It was formed from a portion of Toboyne Township.
This particular tract of land, known as Jackson Township, was first part of
Tyrone, then Toboyne Townships. The township was named after Andrew
Jackson, the 7th U.S. President. It surrounds the Borough of Blain.
Spring Township was
created in 1848. It was formed from Tyrone Township. Originally the
township was to be called Lawrence, but when the court approved the township, it
was officially called Spring. Approximately 200 citizens protested the
formation of this township.
Watts Township was
created in 1849. It was formed from Buffalo Township. This
particular tract of land, known as Watts, was first part of Greenwood, then
Buffalo Township. Watts Township was named to honor David Watts, a lawyer,
who was the son General Frederick Watts, of Revolutionary War fame.
Miller Township was
created in 1852. It was formed from lands of Oliver and Wheatfield
Townships. Miller Township was named as such to honor David Miller.
Township was created in 1859. It was formed from lands of both Greenwood
and Juniata Townships.
Howe Township was the last
township to be created in 1861, for Perry County. It was originally part
of Greenwood Township, then Buffalo, and lastly, Oliver Township.