Part of the PAGenWeb Project
Only a road through the grounds separates Sheffield Cemetery from St. Michael's Byzantine Catholic Cemetery. Together these constitute a large active cemetery located in the town of Sheffield. The lower portion of the cemetery is on a hillside while the newer section is on the flat hilltop.
The original parcel of land, beginning in 1877, was used as the "Cemetery on the Hill." The Sheffield Cemetery Association received the deed for that land on September 17, 1892. Some of the donors included the Horton family.
Driving directions from the Hickory Street bridge in Warren (about 14 miles; 30 minutes): drive east on Pennsylvania Ave W/US-6 (business route) through Warren (about 2 miles), past the refinery on your right, and over the Glade Street bridge. Follow Route 6 about 10 miles to Sheffield. At the Y-intersection of US 6 and PA 666 in Sheffield, bear right on Hwy 666. This is South Main Street in Sheffield. After passing a large park on your left, turn left onto Horton Avenue. Drive 3 blocks, then turn right on School Street. St. Michael's Catholic Church will be on the corner. Follow School Street up the hill to the two cemeteries. School Street, which becomes Cemetery Hill Road, is the only way in and out - the paved road loops through the two cemeteries.
Take a stroll through the cemeteries...
|All photographs courtesy of Penelope Repko|
At the entrance, a side road branches to the right.
This is looking up the hill into the cemetery from that road.
Over 1,500 interments are listed on Find-A-Grave - Sheffield Cemetery.
Over 500 burials can be found on Find-A-Grave - Saint Michaels Byzantine Catholic Cemetery. Additional information is available about Saint Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Church in Sheffield.
Return to top
Contributions are always welcome by sending information to the Warren County coordinator.
Return to Sheffield Township | Warren County Cemetery page | Warren County Genealogy homepage
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2017 Penelope Repko and contributors