History of Luzerne County, Pa.,
by H.C. Bradsby, 1893
JOHN YANNES, bottler, Freeland, is a native of Seterale, Austria, and was born in 1839. he was educated in his native land, and at the age of twenty-one entered the Austrian army, in which he served in the war between Austria and Italy. During his service in this war he participated in the battles of Stor and Condina, in 1866. In 1869 he was honorably discharged, and he emigrated to this country and in 1879 settled at Hazleton, Pa., at the "Mountain View House," which he bought in 1875. He kept this house for three years, and then sold it, purchasing the "Golden Eagle Hotel," also at Hazleton. In 1879 he removed to Freeland, where he engaged in the hotel and bottling business. In 1885 his business premises were destroyed by fire. He re-built and re-established his business, which he has since extensively enlarged. The Freeland Opera House is located in this building, and has a seating capacity of over 1,200. Mr Yannes was married in 1870 to Miss Anna Margaretha NANTH, a native of Germany, born in Hessen-Darmstadt, and seven children have been born to them, viz.: Peter, John, Andrew, Gillo, George, Willie and Anna.
Francis Yates, farmer, Yatesville, was born in Hanover township, this county, July 28,1824. His father, Francis Yates, who was born in Yorkshire, England, November 11,1791, left his native country June 9,1817, and arrived in Philadelphia, Pa., July 22, of the same year. He soon returned to England and married Miss Mary Pratt, a native of Yourshire, March 24,1819. They left England for America the following May, arrived in Philadelphia June 5, and in a short time moved to Camden, N.J., where they resided about two years. In 1822 they moved to Hanover, Pa., residing there until 1825, when they settled in what is now known as Yatesville, buying most of the land where the village is now located. They had a family of seven children, four of whom lived past infancy, viz: Francis; one brother who died about a year ago; Mary A., who married Charles Banker, retired, Pittston; and Ellen J., who married James Jones, agent, Yatesville. Mr. Yates is a Republican and has held office in the borough almost ever since its incorporation as such, having served as president of the school board, president of the poor board, township treasurer, and is at the present time treasurer of the school board. He has also served as a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Yatesville, and has shown great activity and liberality in building the church and parsonage, as well as the improvement of them, and in sustaining the cause in a financial way.
Michael Yeocsak, proprietor of the "Riverside Hotel" and quarryman, Midvale, Plains township, P.O. Plains, was born in Varanno, Austria, in February, 1863, a son of John and Mary (Letvin) Yeocsak. His father, who came to America in 1888, and is now picking slate at the Prospect Colliery, reared a family of five children, of whom our subject is the eldest. Mr Yeocsak came to America in 1880, locating at Port Bowkley, where he labored about themines eight years, including three years mining, and built his present place of business in 1889. He is also extensively engaged in the quarry business near Minard, Mich., and his efforts have certainly been crowned with the most brilliant success. Since the death of John Kosek, well known in this Valley, our subject has taken his place to a great extent as a sort of leader amoung his countrymen, frequently acting as interpreter for them in business transactions. Mr. Yeocsak was married, May 20,1882, to Miss Anne Vansock, daughter of John Vansock of Austria, and two bright children were born of this union, viz: Annie and Michael. Mr. Yeocsak and his wife are members of the Hungarian Greek Church, Main street, Wilkes-Barre, which was built chiefly by John Kosek, Andrew P. Warnack and himself, to which he is a generous contributor, and of which Mr. Warnack and he are trustees. He is a membe of the Petra Parvala Society; and in his political views is in sympathy with the Democratic party, which he renders much valuable service.
D. Tobias Yost, general agent for the Harvey Lake Branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and a prominent citizen of Wyoming borough, was born near Catawissa, Columbia Co., Pa., December 25,1847, a son of Reuben H. and Elizabeth (Johnson) Yost, natives of Columbia county and of German and Irish origin, respectively. They reared a family of eight children, six of whom are living, D. Tobias being the eldest. Our subject was educated in the common schools and Wyoming Seminary, and at the age of eighteen began carpenter work with his father. After he had learned the trade, he engaged with Fields Brothers as clerk in a general store at Milnesville, for six months; then for Lauderburne, Smith & Deisroth, of Hazleton, one year, after which he worked for three years at his trade for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company; then as agent at the junction of the Lehigh Valley and Pennsylvania Railroads at Tomhicken, fifteen years, after which he was promoted to his present position at Wyoming. On January 1,1890, he purchased his fine residence, on the corner of Monument and Seventh streets, where he has since resided. Mr. Yost was married, June 12,1869, to Miss Sarah L., daughter of Andrew and Mary (Betterly) Barnhart, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German origin, the former a blacksmith by occupation at Hazleton, Pa. This happy union was blessed with eight children (seven of whom are living) as follows: Cora I., born March 21,1870; Harry E., born June 9, 1872, station agent at Wyoming, for the Lehigh Valley Railroad; Mamie E., born February 12,1874, died May 12,1876; Estella M., born March 24,1877; Howard T., born January 6,1881; Florence B., born April 15,1885; R. Earl and E. Ethel (twins), born June 27,1889. Mr. and Mrs. Yost and the oldest three children are members of the Methodist Church. In politics Mr. Yost is a Republican.
Conrad Yost, grandfather of our subject, was a son of Harman Yost, who was an officer in the Revolutionary war, and at the close of that struggle settled in Columbia county, as a farmer near Pottstown, Pa. All these gentlemen lived to be over ninety years of age, and took an active part in the early settlement of the country.
Samuel T. Yost, farmer, P.O. Turnbach, was born in Sugar Loaf township April 2,1838, a son of Solomon and Abbie (Turnbach) Yost. His paternal grandparents, Henry and Margaret (Rickard) Yost, cleared and improved a farm where they lived and died. Their children were John, Samuel, Solomon, Henry, Susan (Mrs. Joseph Minnich), Betsey (Mrs. Henry Beishline) and Polly (Mrs. William Woodworth). Of these, Solomon, the father of our subject, was born in Roaring Creek, Columbia county, and settled in Sugar Loaf township with his parents; he was a carpenter, but the last thirty years of his life were spent at farming. He had two wives, both daughters of Samuel and Mary (Hill) Turnbach, of Black Creek township. By his first wife, Abbie, he had one son, Samuel T.,; by his second wife, Rebecca, hea has five children; Jacob, Stephen, Minerva (Mrs. Bellman Young), Emma (Mrs. John Houseknecht) and Polly Ann. Our subject was reared in Sugar Loaf township, and educated in the common schools. He learned the carpenter's trade, which he fol-lowed eight years, and since 1870 has been engaged in farming in Black Creek township. He has been twice married, his first wife being Clarissa, daughter of Henry B. and Lavina (Drum) Bowman, of Black Creek township, and by her he had three children: Cora (Mrs. Arthur Yeager), Harvey and Carrie (Mrs. W.H. Swank). After her death he married Elizabeth A., daughte of Perry and Rachel (Shellham-mer) Boone, of Black Creek township, and by her he has two children: Edgar S. and Agnes. Mr. Yost is a member of the M.E. Church and is a Republican.
John Young, farmer, P.O. Inkerman, was born in Durham, England, October 10,1817, and is a son of John and Margaret (Galuthly) Young, natives of the same place, who reared a family of sixteen children, of whom John is eleventh in order of birth. Our subject received his education in England, and afterward worked in the mines in his native land, until emigrating tot his country in 1845. He first located in Schuylkill county, Pa., where he worked in the mines until 1854, and then came to Luzerne county, Pa., settling in Pittston, and becoming a contractor for the sinking of shafts, and tunneling in the mines, which business he followed until 1884, since which time he has been farming at his present location. Mr. Young was united in marriage July 9,1838, with Jane, daughter of John and Jane (Double) Young, natives of England; she died February 13,1892, after a happu wedded life of fifty-four years. The issue now living, of their union, are as follows: Janes, born January 11,1841, married, December 7,1858, to Moses Magee, of Forty Fort, this county; Margaret, born January 18,1843, married, May 8,1863, to James A. Bryden, mine foreman, Pittston, this county; William, born October 20,1844; Mary A., born November 14,1846, married to Thomas S. Bavette, tinsmith, West Pittston; George P., born September 3,1850; Thomas D., born October 3,1852; Elizabeth, born September 27,1854; and Dorothy N., born Novem-ber 8, 1856, married to John G. Clayfield, a farmer in Kansas. Our subject is a member of the Episcopal Church, and of the following organizations; F. & A.M., I.O.O.F. and Sons of St. George. In politics he is a Republican, and was poor-master by appointment from 1880-1892.
Lazarus R. Young, general merchant, No.450 W. Main street, Plymouth, was born November 10,1851, and is a son of Charles E., and Frances (Gabriel) Young, the former of whom died in 1874. The father was born in Chambersburg, Febru-ary 24,1803, and was a son of Charles and Susan (Madeira) Young, the former a native of Germany, the latter of Pennsylvania, of Dutch extraction. Charles E., was educated in his native town, and after attaining his majority came to Plymouth and engagaed in the coal business; he was a contractor during the time that the Nanti-coke dam and canal were being constructed. After they were completed he followed canaling between Wilkes-Barre and Columbia, and continued same until 1862, when he retired from active business. He was married December 24,1838 to Miss Frances, daughter of Henry and Edith (VanLoon) Gabriel, the former a Connec-ticut Yankee, the latter a native of Pennsylvania. The following children were born to this union: Oscar R., a resident of Michigan City, Ind.; Susan E., wife of Peter Garrahan, of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; Emma, wife of John Hutchinson, of Zenorsville, Iowa; Mary, wife of W. Lowe, Plymouth, Pa.; John C., in Plymouth, Pa., boss at No.12 Shaft; Frances H., wife of William Connor, of Wilkes-Barre; Lazarus D., deceased; and Lazarus R. The enterprising young man whose name introduces this sketch was educated at Plymouth, Pa., and commenced life as a late-picker, which he followed one summer. In 1874 he was employed as a clerk by Turner Bros., continuing with them until 1879, when he was given a clerkship by Harvey Yeager, general merchant, of Plymouth. After seven years Harvey Yeager was succeeded by his brother Darius, and Mr. Young continued for another year, at the end of which time, on March 21,1887, he established a general store at No. 450 W. Main street, which was operated by L.R. Young & Co. until June 27,1889, when he succeeded to the entire business. The store is neat and compact, and is filled with a large vaiety of goods which meet with ready sale among the young merchant's many customers. Mr. Young married August 28,1881, to Miss Pauline A., daughter of William L. and Mary (Ross) Prudhoe, the former a native of England, the latter of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Young attend the Christian Church. In politics, he adheres to the Republican party; socially he is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
Henry Youngcourt, mine foreman, Hazleton, Pa., was born in Germany, Kur-Hessen, April 4,1845, and is the eldest in a family of six children born to Henry and Barbara E. (Ringleben) Youngcourt, also natives of Germany. The family came to America in 1852, settling in Hazleton, Pa., where the children had the advantage of such education as those early times afforded. The subject of this sketch began picking slate at the early age of eight years, and since that time he has worked at every branch of mining. He is recognized as an expert mine fore-man, and one of the most experienced miners in the State, having made a life study of the work. Mr. Youngcourt was married, in March, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Andes, of Hazleton, and twelve children have been born to this union, namely: William, Elizabeth (deceased), Jacob, Peter, Andrew, Dora (deceased) Elizabeth (deceased), John, Harry, Catherine, Conrad, and another son, name unknown. Mr. Youngcourt casts his vote with the Republican party; he attends the German Lutheran Church, and belongs to the Order of Pocahontas, Red Men, Knights of the Golden Eagle, and also to the Pioneer Fire Company.Back to Bios Index
Back to Luzerne County Genweb
These Bios were typed by the Wonderful people on PA-LUZERNE
1997-Present by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual
Back To Luzerne Genweb