MO - MY Surnames
History of Luzerne County, Pa.,
by H.C. Bradsby, 1893
WILLIAM S. MOYER, Ashley, brakeman on the Central Railroad of New Jersey was born in Vermont, October 19, 1864, and is a son of Solomon and Sarah (Thomas) Moyer, natives of Vermont. He has one sister, older than himself (Mrs. Samuel Moyer, Freeland, Pa.). His father was killed in the battle of the Wilderness, and his mother then married Stephen Shellhammer, by whom she had six children, five of whom are living. The mother now lives with Mrs. Samuel Moyer. The family located in Butler township, this county, in June 1865. Our subject was educated in the Harford Orphan School, Susquehanna county, Pa., and then worked about the mines for five years. He worked with lumber for some time, and in 1886 became a brakeman on the Fort Wayne Railroad. In 1890 he moved to Ashley. Mr. Moyer was married, October 14, 1890, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Charles F. and Emma (Taylor) Miller, of Stroudsburg, Pa., and by her has one child, Sarah E. Our subject is a member of the S.M.A.A., and of the R.R.T.A. In his political views he is a Republican.
WILSON MOYER, farmer, P.O. Hobbie, was born July 23, 1852, in Dorrance township, this county, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of Daniel and Priscilla (Rimer) Moyer, the former of whom was born in Lehigh county, Janurary 29, 1820, the latter in Hanover township, same county, April 3, 1833. Daniel Moyer is a son of John Moyer, who was a native of Germany, and who emigrated to this country when a young man, locating in Lehigh county, where he remained a number of years. He finally removed to Dorrance township, this county, where he passed the remainder of his days. He was a man of sound judgment and pure morals, with a keen perception of what is right, and possessed of a stong will do perform it. He died at the comparatively early age of forty-two years. His son Daniel began active business life as a laborer, and by a perseverance in well-doing, and a spirit of zealous and endless energy, he succeeded in acquiring fifty-six acres of land which he in time brought under cultivation. He and his wife are now enjoying the wane of life in a manner that only those of a pure and clear conscience can. They reared a family of eleven children, six of whom are living, Wilson being the eldest. Our subject spent his early life by working out as a laborer. He, too, is of an economical turn, a hard worked, sober and upright, qualities which go far in the promotion of a man's success and happiness in this life. Buying himself a farm in 1882, he has since improved it considerably, proving a practical farmer, and keeping well abreast of the times. On September 16, 1876, Mr. Moyer married Miss Mary F., daughter of P.H. and Catherine Good, and to this union were born seven children, four of whom are living: Lloyd E., Clara E., Laura A. and Dora A. Mrs. Mary F. Moyer was born in Hollenback township, this county, April 3, 1859. Mr. Moyer has held several township offices, and has proven himself a worthy citizen in various respects. He is a member of the P.O.S. of A. Politically he is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of the Reformed Church at Dorrance.
MICHAEL M. MOYLAN, merchant, Port Blanchard, was born at that place September 26, 1856, a son of Patrick and Julia (Morris) Moylan, natives of County Galway, Ireland. The father, one of the two survivors of eight children born to John and Honora (Loughrey) Moylan, was born in 1815, came to America in 1847, and seven years later moved to Port Blanchard, where he engaged in the real estate and mercantile business. He was married February 7, 1854, to Julia, daughter of Peter and Monica (Donahue) Morris, natives of County Galway, Ireland, and they had seven children, four of whom are living, viz: Michael M; Dr. John J., of Germantown, Pa.; Dr. Peter F., of Philadelphia, Pa., and Mary A. (Mrs. Joseph J. McCormick, of Philadelphia). Our subject was educated in the public schools, and at an early age began working in his father's store, of which he bacame proprietor in 1888. Mr. Moylan was married October 26, 1887, to Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas and Margaret (Noon) O'Brien, natives of County Mayo,Ireland. To this union have been born three children, viz.: Julia, Joseph and Mary. The family are members of the Catholic Church, and in politics Mr. Moylan is a Democrat.
JAMES MOYLES, justice of the peace, Laurel Run, P.O. Wilkes-Barre, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, December 22, 1833, and is a son of James and Catherine (Rutledge) Moyles. He was reared in his native country, where he resided until he was thirty years of age. In 1863 he came to America, and located in Wilkes-Barre. He has been employed about the mines ever since, and has resided in Wilkes-Barre township and Laurel Run borough since 1868. He was married March 31, 1861, to Ann, daughter of John and Bridget (Hope) Higgins, of County Mayo, Ireland, and they have four children living: Catherine (Mrs. Barney Biehl), Mary, Frank A., and William I. Mr. Moyles and family are members of the Catholic Church. He is a member of Emerald Society, No. 33, Wilkes-Barre. In politics he is a Democrat, and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace of Laurel Run borough; has been chief burgess since 1887.
CHARLES MUGFORD, pumpman in the Pine Ridge Mine, Miners Mills, was born in Cornwall, England, August 18, 1861, and is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hooper) Mugford, of Miners Mills, also natives of Cornwall. His paternal grandparents were Charles and Elizabeth (Truan) Mugford, and his maternal grandparents were William and Catherine (Trevthan) Hooper, all natives of Cornwall. In his father's family there were children as follows: Charles, the subject of this memoir; William, a pumpman at Miners Mills; Mary E., married to William Brain, of Laflin (they have two children, Samuel H. and Elizabeth G.). The family came to America in 1868, locating first at Parsons, Pa., and in 1872 removed to Miners Mills. Our subject received a common-school education in England, and began working about the mines in America at an early age; he has been engaged in picking slate, oiling breakers, as docking-boss, firing, teaming outside, working in the carpenter shop, and then to his present position, all at the same breaker. In 1885 he built his present residence, and removed therein the following year. Mr. Mugford was married, May 14, 1886, to Mary P., daughter of John P. and Mary (Lawrence) Evans, natives of South Wales, and they have three children, viz: Samuel C., John H. and Richard L. Our subject and wife attend the Primitive Methodist Church, of which Mrs. Mugford is a member; he is a member of the Sons of St. George, and a Republican in his political views.
J.M. MULHOLAND, M.D., Pittston. This gentleman, who stands in the front rank of the practicing physicians and surgeons of Luzerne county, was born in Mercer county, Pa., September 28, 1850, a son of Dr. I.M. and Margaret (Praul) Mulholand, the former a native of Ireland the latter of Mercer county, Pa. The father was a physician, and a graduate of one of the old schools of Cincinnati, Ohio, and now resides in Toledo, Ohio, where he is a specialist of some notoriety in chronic diseases. The family consisted of four children, viz: J.M.; Charles W., a merchant in Toledo, Ohio; Frank, a salesman in Toledo; and Lillie (wife of James L. Outzenhiser, wholesale merchant of Greenville, Pa.). Our subject received his English education in the public schools of Vassar, Tuscola and Saginaw, Mich., and at Flint College, Flint, Mich. He then read medicine with his father, and entered the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating from that institution May 12, 1865. He located at Mechanicsville, Pa., practicing his profession there for two years, next formed a partnership with Dr. Woodwerdg, of Tunkhannock, and remained with him until 1881, when he removed to Pittston, where he has since practiced his profession, at No. 4 Broad street. Dr. Mulholand is enjoying a large and lucrative practice, and has been eminently successful. He is a hard student, thoroughly versed in all modern methods of treating disease, and a surgeon of pronounced ability. May 12, 1873, our subject married Miss Mary Porter, daughter of Alexander Porter, a native of Scotland, and this union has been blessed with two children: I. Porter and J. Mortimer. Dr. Mulholand is a member of Valley Lodge No. 499 F. & A.M., of Pittston Chapter No. 242, and of Wyoming Valley Commandery No. 557, and also of the Eclectic Medical Association of Pennsylvania, being a surgeon of the Association. He is a member of the Eclectic Association of the United States, and secretary of the credential committee. Politically he is a stanch Republican.
DANIEL MULLIGAN, brakeman, P.O. Oliver's Mills, was born in Carbon county, Pa., October 8, 1862, and is a son of Daniel and Rose (McCoal) Mulligan. The parents were natives of Ireland, and for some years resided in Carbon county, Pa., whence, about 1871, they removed to Laurel Run borough, Luzerne county, where the father worked as a miner until his death, which occurred October 19, 1891. The mother died in 1879. Their children were Patrick, Daniel, Edward, Neil, Charles, Hugh and Mary Ann. Our subject was reared in Laurel Run borough from eight years of age, and received a limited education in the public schools. At nine years of age he worked in the breaker as a slate picker, being employed about the mines until 1884, since which time he has been a brakeman on the Central Railroad of New Jersey (now Reading System). Mr. Mulligan was married January 22, 1885, to Bridget, daughter of John and Hollern Shannon, of Wilkes-Barre township. They have three children: Rose, Mary and Charles. Mr. Mulligan is a member of the Catholic Church; he has served as school director of Laurel Run borough three years (1887, 1888 and 1889), and tax collector two years (1890 and 1891); he is a member of the St. Aloysius Society and Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen; in politics, he is a Democrat.
EUGENE W. MULLIGAN, cashier of the Second National Bank, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Reading, Pa., October 28, 1852, a son of James and Caroline (VanHorn) Mulligan, natives of Paterson, N.J., and Reading, Pa., respectively, and is of Irish and Holland Dutch descent. His father was a master mechanic and superintendent of machinery, Philadelphia & Reading Canal. Our subject was reared in his native city, and educated in the public schools where he was graduated in 1874. He then served three years as clerk for the Philadelphia & Reading Express Company. In 1877 he located in Wilkes-Barre, and entered the employ of the Second National Bank as exchange clerk, was three years deposit ledger keeper, three years general ledger keeper, and in 1883 was prmoted to cashier, in which capacity he has since served. On June 5, 1888, he was married to Alice H., daughter of Michael W. and Ellen (Mulligan) Morris, of Pittston, Pa., and they have two children, Eleanor M. and James. Mr. Mulligan is a member of the Westmoreland Club, of Wilkes-Barre, and in politics is a Democrat.
ROBERT MURDOCH, M.D., was born in Kilmarnock, Ayshire, Scotland, July 9, 1847, and is a son of Alexander and Jeannette (Roger) Murdoch, who came to America in 1850, and settled in Ulster, Bradford, Co., Pa., where the father engaged in farming and stock dealing, he still residing there. Our subject was reared in Bradford county from three years of age; received an academical education at Susquehanna Collegiate Institution, Towanda, Pa.; in 1869 began the study of medicine with Dr. D.S. Pratt, of Towanda, and was graduated from Hahnemann Homoeopathic Medical College, Philadelphia, in the spring of 1872. He immediately began the practice of his profession in Ulster township, where he remained one year, when he removed to Burlington, Bradford county, remaining there until 1887, in which year he came to Wilkes-Barre, where he has already succeeded in bulding up a lucrative practice. Dr. Murdoch married, November 29, 1873, Ophelia, daughter of Moses and Wealthy (Vought) Watkins, of Sheshequin, Bradford Co., Pa., and has four children: Ella, Lena, Marguerite and Robert. The Doctor is a member of the M.E. Church, the Homoeopathic Medical Society of Northern Pennsylvania and Homoeopathic Medical Society of Pennsylvania. In politics he is a Republican.
EDWARD A. MURPHY, restaurant proprietor, Freeland, was born March 9, 1864, at Jeansville, this county, and is a son of Patrick and Bridget (Turney) Murphy, natives of County Cavan, Ireland. Barney Murphy, grandfather of our subject, came to America in 1848, and located at Jeansville, this county, and his son Patrick, who was the oldest of the family, came one year later; in 1850 they sent for the other members of the family. Barney Murphy died at Jeansville in 1890. He was a man of iron will and always accomplished his purpose at any cost, regardless of circumstances. When he went to New York to meet his family there was but one train that left Hazleton for New York, and that was a coal train. The morning that he intended to go he missed the train; he accordingly set out on foot and walked to New York that day. Patrick, the father of our subject,now resides in Hazleton. In his family there are six children, viz.: Mary, married to Philip Ferry, Hazleton; James, a boiler-maker in Wilkes-Barre; Edward A.; Barney, a machinist in Wilkes-Barre; Annie and Andrew. Our subject was educated in the common schools of Luzerne county, and at a very early age began working around the mines, being employed in various capacities until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to work at the machinist's trade at Jeansville. After serving his apprenticeship of four years, he worked as a journeyman there three years. He then went to Drifton, where he remained a short time, when he went to Sioux City, Iowa, in which place he entered the employ of the Omaha, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company, as machinist. He remained there about one year, then went to Fort Dodge, Iowa, where he remained a short time, and returning to Wilkes-Barre entered the employ of the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company, where he worked at his trade part of the time, being also engaged in running a locomotive for the company. On October 8, 1889, he came to Freeland and purchased his restaurant from Charles Dushek, which he has ever since conducted. In February 1892, he purchased one of the best livery stables in Hazleton, where he is now doing a good business also. Mr. Murphy is a member of the Catholic Church, and his political views are Republican.
MICHAEL MURPHY, proprietor of restaurant No. 79 Hillside Street, Wilkes-Barre, was born in the Province of Leinster, Ireland, January 6, 1848, and is a son of Michael and Elizabeth (Farnan) Murphy. The father died in Ireland the year our subject was born, leaving a widow and five children, as follows: Charles (killed at the battle of Fredericksburg, December, 1862), William, Bridget (Mrs. John Plunkett), Elizabeth (Mrs. M. Brennan) and Michael. The mother and family, with the exception of Michael, came to America in 1848, and located in Wilkes-Barre. Our subject was reared in Ireland until May, 1862, when he came to America and June 3, of same year, located in Wilkes-Barre, where he has since resided. He was employed in the mines until 1887, when he embarked in the restaurant business, in which he has since successfully continued. In 1873 he married Katherine, daughter of John and Katherine Mundy, of Plains, this county, and is the father of six children: Charles A., John (deceased), William, Helen, Joseph and Rose Elizabeth. Mr. Murphy is a member of the Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat, and served one term as alderman of the Sixth Ward of Wilkes-Barre.
MICHAEL MURPHY, farmer, P.O. Pittston, was born in County Clare, Ireland, February 18, 1821, a son of Michael and Hannah (McMahon) Murphy, both natives of Ireland, where they died. They were hard working, honest people, strict members of the Roman Catholic Church, bringing up their children in the way they should go. They had six in number, Michael being the fourth, and the only one that survived. He emigrated to the United States in 1851, locating in Pittston township, where he has remained ever since. He followed mining forty-two years, and was, to use his own words, "forty-two years under ground." He has had long experience in coal mining, and still feels as young as a man in middle life. On May 6, 1865, he removed to his present place, a farm of fifty acres, all untilled, but which, by hard labor and a perseverance undaunted, he succeeded in bringing under fence and plough. He has suitable buildings, and everything to make home complete and comfortable. Mr. Murphy is a hard-working and honest man of sound business principles, and, like his ancestors, a member of the Roman Catholic Church. On May 18, 1851, he married, in Ireland, Miss Mary, daughter of Michael and Bridget Mulcahey, and there were ten children born to them, eight of whom are living: Mary, Catherine (a Sister of Charity), Ellen, Anna, Bridget, James, Lizzie and Jennie. Of these Mary married Michael McCandrew, and James married Miss Anna Langa. One son, Michael, together with his wife and five children, was lost in the Johnstown disaster. Politically, Mr. Murphy is independent, but leans toward the Democratic party.
CHARLES FRANCIS MURRAY, was born at Athens, Bradford, Co., Pa., November 5, 1851. Through his father he is of Scottish ancestry, while his mother was of English origin. The branch of the Murray family from which he descended came to Connecticut in the latter half of the eighteenth century, and of the number Abner and Noah Murray came afterward to Pennsylvania. Noah Murray was prominent in the Wyoming Valley. He was appointed a justice of the quarter sessions November 23, 1788, and commissioned a justice of the peace for Luzerne county a year later. He had been a clergyman in the Baptist Church, and afterward embraced the doctrine of Universalism, which owes so much to the Rev. John Murray, who was a relative, and is regarded as practically the father of the Universalist Church in this country. Noah Murray was afterward called to the pastorate of the then only congregation of that faith in Philadelphia, where he achieved much distinction. He was noted for his remarkably persuasive powers. It is related of him that upon one occasion he was waited upon by two ministers of other denominations, who thought to win him from what they looked upon as his dangerous heresies. "Mother", he said to his wife, "put a pitcher of water and a loaf of bread in the room with us, turn the key, and we will stay 'till we all come out, of one faith." And so they did, but the one faith was the Universalist faith, for he had converted those who come to convert him. Abner Murray, his brother, was a prosperous farmer at Athens. His son, Edward Abner, the father of Charles Francis, followed the same vocation. The mother was Marianne Page. Her parents, Thomas and Anna West Page, came from England in 1831 in the ship "Marion," which was two months and eleven days out from Liverpool before reaching this country. The voyage was made with great privation. The stock of provisions ran short, so that the allowance of those aboard was barely sufficient to sustain life. One of Mr. Murray's most precious mementos is a copy of a diary kept by Mrs. Page, in which the interesting incidents are recorded faithfully, and in the spirit of a devout woman who never lost faith in the successful ending of the perilous journey and its hardships.
Charles Francis MURRAY was educated at the Athens Academy. In 1869 the firm of Voorhis & Page was established in Wilkes-Barre, for the sale of fine furniture. F.N. Page, of the firm, was the maternal uncle of Charles Francis, who was seventeen years old at the time he came to Wilkes-Barre, to represent his uncle. This he continued to do until 1876, when he was admitted into the firm, which now was changed to Voorhis, Page & Co. In 1877 Mr. Murray bought his uncle's interest, and the firm name was changed to Voorhis & Murray. In March 1890, G.H. Voorhis died, since which time the business has been conducted by Mr. Murray and his late partner's son, Burton Voorhis, but still under the old firm name. The house is the oldest, and unquestionably the leading one, in the furniture business in this section of the State, and has the proud record of never having missed a payment since its doors were first opened. Mr. Murray married in October, 1878, Ella Antoinette Mandeville, a Southern lady from Athens, Georgia. Mr. and Mrs. Murray have three children: Eleanor Welles, Charles Edward and Marion Page Murray. They attend the services of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Murray is a Republican in politics, but has never held or sought office. He is one of the substantial and respected business men in an advanced and prospering business community.
JAMES P. MURRAY, of the firm of Jones & Murray, general hardware dealers, Plymouth, was born in Staffordshire, England, May 4, 1865, and is a son of Michael and Julia (Jennings) Murray, natives of County Mayo, Ireland. They came to America in 1870, settling at Plymouth, Pa., where the family have since lived, and where the children were educated and reared. The subject of this sketch is the eldest of three children and is unmarried; Mary come next, and is married to Mr. Kraig, of Plymouth; John is the youngest, and is married, also living at Plymouth. After receiving his early education in the public schools of Luzerne county, James P. was employed by Schwartz Bros., wholesale liquor dealers, remaining with them eight years, and on January 1, 1890, he and his partner William L. Jones succeeded to the business of Lindsay & Company, in which they are now doing a large trade. Mr. Murray has always been a follower of the Democratic party, and is identified with Company J, Ninth Regiment Pennsylvania National Guards. He is also a member of Fire Company No. 1, of Plymouth. In religious matters he is identified with the Catholic Church.
JOHN MURRAY, hotel proprietor, Parsons, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, January 12, 1851, a son of Martin and Sarah (Carcerian) Murray, natives of Ireland. He is the youngest of eight children, was educated in Ireland, and at the age of twenty came to America, locating at Wilkes-Barre. Engaging at once in mining, he followed this vocation for fifteen years, at the end of which time he engaged in the hotel business and met with success. In 1888, he then came to Parsons, continuing the hotel business, and now commands an extensive patronage. Mr. Murray was married, March 22, 1877, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Patrick and Ellen (Kelly) McCormick, natives of County Mayo, Ireland. Of this union were born seven children, viz,: Mary, Sarah, Peter, John, Michael, Annie and Kate (deceased). Mr. Murray and his family are members of the Catholic Church; he is a Democrat.
PETER MURRAY, farmer, Georgetown, P.O. Wilkes-Barre, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, a son of Patrick and Bridget (O'Malley) Murray. He was reared in Ireland. In 1864 he came to America, stopped two years at Honesdale, Pa., and, in 1866, removed to Wilkes-Barre township, where he has since resided. For many years he was employed in the mines, and since 1884 has been engaged in farming. His wife was Ann, daughter of Martin and Ann (Callahan) Kearney, of County Mayo, Ireland, and by her he had eight children: Mary, Maggie (Mrs. Andrew DeLong), Patrick, Bridget, Kate, Peter, Anna and Agnes. Mr. Murray is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics is a Democrat.
F.B. MYERS, farmer and gardener, Kinston, was born in that town in 1845, and is a son of Madison F. and Harriet (Myers) Myers, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. The Myers family played a very active part in the history of the Wyoming Valley, being among the early settlers of this county, and connected with the early settlement and development of this locality. They were at the battle of Wyoming, and among the few who found refuge within the walls of Forty Fort. The subject of our sketch was educated at Cazenovia, N.Y., and Wyoming Seminary, and has since devoted his attention chiefly to the pursuit of agriculture, being the possessor of some of the finest farming lands in the Valley. Mr. Myers was married in 1869, to Miss Naomi, daughter of James and Mary Ann (Barber) Mott, of Luzerne county, and the fruits of this happy union are six children, viz.: Frederick M., May M., Hattie, Philip, Laura and Jessie. Mr Myers and his family are members of the M.E. Church; politically he is an advocate of the Prohibition party.
JAMES MYERS, farmer, P.O. Lake, was born in Unionville, Orange Co., N.Y., April 10, 1814, a son of Martin and Jane (Davis) Myers, both natives of Orange county, N.Y. Martin was a son of a Revolutionary soldier who commanded a company in that struggle; his name is not now obtainable, but he is known to have been a man of undaunted courage. Martin was a soldier in the war of 1812. He moved to this county about 1829, locating near Harvey's Lake, in Lehman township, on a farm of 160 acres. He was a very industrious farmer who, by his skill and judgment made mother earth to yield sometimes sixtyfold, sometimes one hundredfold. He was a moral man in his social relations, and a leading spirit in the Democratic party. He had been honored with several town offices which he discharged with credit to himself and satisfaction of his fellow citizens. He died at the age of sixty-seven years. His children numbered ten, all of whom grew to maturity, and of them two are now (1891) living: Jasper T. and James. The subject of this memoir came to the county with his father when he was fifteen years of age, and has remained on the same place ever since, always confining himself to agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty-one he began business for himself, at the same time helping his father to make a home for the other children. At the age of forty-one, September 20, 1855, he married Miss Sabra D., daughter of George and Electe Gallup, and there were born to them three children, one of whom is living: Electe Jane, born July 4, 1856, and married to Harmon Ide. Mrs. Myers was born in Connecticut, May 18, 1819. Mr. Myers is a retired farmer, but in his younger days was a practical man as well as an active farmer. He is now comfortably situated on that beautiful sheet of water, Harvey's Lake. Politically, he is a Democrat. (Since the above was written we are in receipt of information of Mr. Myers' decease - ED.)
JOHN G. MYERS, farmer and teacher, P.O. Briggsville, was born in Albany, Bradford Co., Pa., August 31, 1853, a son of Peter and Ellen (Mosier) Myers. His paternal grandfather, Daniel Myers, formerly of New Jersey, died in Mifflin township, Columbia Co., Pa., and is buried there. His wife was Susanna Payne, and their children were Lavina (Mrs.Jacob Kishbauch), George, John P. and Peter (the father of our subject). The latter, a native of Mifflin township, was reared in Bradford county, Pa., and in 1868 moved to Nescopeck township, where he still resides. His first wife was Ellen Mosier, by whom he had eight children who grew to maturity: Daniel P., John G., Lizzie (Mrs. Lewis Greising), Mary, Caroline (Mrs. William Campbell), Josiah J. and Sophia (twins) and Norman. His second wife was Mrs. Mary (O'Neill) Treaner, by whom he has three children living: Robert L., William J. and Philip. His third wife was Mrs. Elizabeth (Kisbauch) Creasy. Our subject was reared in Bradford and Luzerne counties and educated in the common schools and in Wyoming Seminary, the State Normal School, Bloomsburg, New Columbus and Orangeville Academies, and the Northern Indiana State Normal School at Valparaiso, Ind. At twenty-one years of age he began teaching, continuing in that for nineteen years, and since 1888 has also been engaged in farming. In 1886 Mr. Myers married Sarah A., daughter of John W. and Margaret (Raber) Seely, of Nescopeck. They have one son, Clyde Blaine. Our subject is a member of the M.E. Church; in politics he is a Republican, and has served as school director one term, and assessor.
JOSIAH J. MYERS, M.D., Nescopeck, was born at New Albany, Bradford Co., Pa., March 22, 1860, a son of Peter and Ellen (Mosier) Myers. His paternal grandfather, Daniel Myers, a native of Pennsylvania, died in Mifflin township, Columbia Co., Pa. His maternal grandfather, Peter Mosier, a native of Holland, was among the pioneers of Sullivan county, Pa., and at one time owned the land where Dushore now stands. Peter Myers was a native of Mifflin, Pa., and has been a resident of Nescopeck since 1868. He was thrice married, and is the father of fourteen children, ten of whom survive. His first wife was Ellen Mosier, by whom there are seven children living: Daniel P., John G., Elizabeth (Mrs. Lewis Greising), Mary S., Caroline E. (Mrs. William Campbell), Josiah J. and Norman H.; his second wife was Mrs. Mary (O'Neill) Trainor, by whom he has three children living, Peter L., William J. and Philip R; his third wife was Mrs. Elizabeth (Kisbaugh) Creasy. Our subject was reared in Nescopeck from eight years of age, and was educated at New Columbus and Orangevile Academy. In 1884 he began the study of medicine and was graduated from the College of Physicians, Baltimore, in 1886, and passed regular examination at the Medico-Chirugical College, Philadelphia, same year, and the State Pharmaceutical Examining Board, January 11, 1888. April 1, 1886, he located at Nescopeck village, where he has built up a lucrative practice. August 28, 1886, he married Anna E., daughter of John W. and Margaret (Raber) Seely, of Nescopeck township. The Doctor is a member of the M.E. Church and K. of M.; in politics he is a Republican.
REUBEN MYERS, farmer, P.O. Slocum, was born in Newport township, April 20, 1836, a son of Philip J. and Margaret E. (Brodt) Myers, both natives of Northampton county, the former born in 1805, the latter in 1808. They removed to this county about 1830, locating in Newport township, on a farm of fifty acres, to which he added 315 more, thus showing himself to be a man of superior business qualities; he was also a man of some education and natural abilities. He held several prominent offices in the townshp, that of justice of the peace for twenty-five years. He was a Democrat, and took quite an active part in politics. At one time he was a member of the Lutheran Church, but finally joined the Evangelical, in which faith he died, June 3, 1884, aged seventy-nine years, at which time he had about 125 acres cleared. His wife died December 9, 1885, aged eighty-one years. Their family consisted of sixteen chldren, each of the parents having had a child by former marriages, making fourteen by their last marriage. Nine of these grew to maturity, eight of them now living, Reuben being the eighth in the family. Our subject was reared and educated in Newport (now Slocum) townshp, has always been a resident of the county, and has followed agricultural pursuits. He was married in 1863 to Miss Mary A. Hoch, who was born in Slocum township in 1833, daughter of Philip and Margaret Hoch. To this union six children were born, four of whom are yet living: Lyman P., Margaret E., Anna A. and Elizabeth A. Mr. Myers lived on and worked his father's farm till 1884, and in 1887 he removed to his present residence, a farm of eighty-five acres, forty-five of which are improved. He is a man of intelligence, and a practical farmer. Politically he is a Democrat, and has been honored with all the important offices of the township. He and his wife are members of the Evangelical Church.
WICKHAM MYERS, milk dealer, Pittston, was born in Orange county, N.Y., December 2, 1838, and is a son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Myers, natives of the same place, and of German descent. Our subject received his education in the common schools, and when old enough assisted his father on the farm, in which work he continued until early in 1860, when he removed to Kinston, this county. In 1861 he settled on his homestead, where he had about eighty acres of land. Mr. Myers was united in marriage January 1, 1865, with Kate, daughter of Emily Prutzman, native of Pennsylvania, and their union has been blessed with the following issue: Henry, born October 13, 1865; William W., born October 13, 1867; Emma Elizabeth, born June 18, 1870, and Edward, born March 20, 1879. The family are members of the M.E. Church, and in his political preferences Mr. Myers is a Republican.Back to Bios Index
Back to Luzerne County Genweb
These Bios were typed by Dalice. ©
1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual
Back To Luzerne Genweb
1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual