La - Le Surnames
History of Luzerne County, Pa.,
by H.C. Bradsby, 1893
REV. JOHN LaBAR, retired Methodist minister, of Wyoming borough, was born November 5, 1825, in Pittston township. He is a son of Jacob and Margaret (Fox) LaBar, natives of Pennsylvania and of French and German extraction, respectively, who reared a family of seven children, four of whom are living. Our subject was fifth in the order of birth, was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-three rented a farm at Hanover, Pa., following agricultural pursuits for five years, during this time preaching occasionally. In 1854, he joined the Wyoming Conference, and has been minister-in-charge at the following places: Newton (two terms), Northmoreland, Trucksville, Factoryville, Wyoming, Carverton (two terms), Plymouth, Lackawanna, Dunmore, and Forty Fort. He retired in the spring of 1880 and moved to Wyoming, building his fine residence in 1881, where he has since resided. Since his retirement, he has preached two years at Scranton, six months at Plymouth, four months at Wilkes-Barre, and two months at West Pittston. Mr. LaBar was married December 31, 1846, to Mary A., daughter of Lorenzo and Mary (Bennett) Ruggles, natives of Pennsylvania and of English origin. This union was blessed with nine children, five of whom are living, viz.: Mary Margaret (Mrs. Frederick Atherton), Pauline (Mrs. James Lindslay), Lorenzo G., commission broker, Scranton; William S., painter, Wilkes-Barre; and Reuben N., a hardware merchant, Lock Haven. Mr. and Mrs. LaBar attend the Methodist Church, and Mr. LaBar is a member of the F. & A. M.; he is a Republican in principle, but votes independently.
HENRY R. LACEY, wholesale dealer in Chicago beef, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Laceyville, Wyoming Co., Pa., June 13, 1846, and is a son of George G. and Susannah (Scott) Lacey. His paternal grandfather, Henry Lacey, a native of Connecticut and a farmer by occupation, was a pioneer of what is now Laceyville, and from him the borough derives its name. He married a Miss Northrop, and by her had nine children: Lydia A. (Mrs. Cyms Stevens), Ebenezer, Zeruah (Mrs. George Spalding), Sally (Mrs. Miner Terry), Polly (Mrs. T. L. Spring), George G., Canfield J., M. Antoinette (Mrs. Henry Kinney), and Charles. Of these, George G., father of subject, was born and reared in Laceyville, where he followed general merchandising, dying there in 1861. His wife was a daughter of Davis Scott, a pioneer of Montrose, Susquehanna Co., Pa., and by her he had three children: George, Henry R., and Elizabeth (Mrs. J. A. Bosworth); his second wife was Harriet Norton, by whom he had one daughter, Theresa (Mrs. A. B. Christian). The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Laceyville, and in 1868 he embarked in the coal and lumber business there, which he carried on until 1874, when he removed to Wilkes-Barre, and commenced in the produce commission business, in which he successfully continued up till 1889. In 1882, he also engaged in the wholesale meat business, and was the original dealer in Wilkes-Barre for Armour & Co. in Chicago dressed beef; has now establishments in Freeland and Nanticoke, and has built up a lucrative business. On December 31, 1868, Mr. Lacey married Clara H., daughter of Hamlet and Temperance (Cooley) Hill, of Wyoming County, Pa., and has four children : George, Hettia, H. Roberts and Louise. Politically, Mr. Lacey is a Republican. He is one of Wilkes-Barre's most enterprising business men.
EDWIN G. LaFRANCE, a retired carpenter, Wyoming borough, was born May 7, 1845, and is a son of Lot and Amy (Gregory) LaFrance, natives of Pennsylvania, and of French and English origin, respectively. They reared a family of seven children, five now living, Edwin G. being the seventh in order of birth. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and at the age of sixteen he went to New York City, where he worked as ship joiner for ten years; he then returned to Wyoming and followed farming ten years, after which he built his present fine residence. Again, he went to New York and was engaged there as ship builder and returning home in a year, he worked at general carpenter work until 1887, when he retired. Mr. LaFrance was married, July 6, 1868, to Miss Margaret, daughter of Jesse B. and Elizabeth J. (Breece) Schooley, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, respectively, and of English origin. This happy union was blessed with children as follows: Hattie A., born May 29,1869, died January 6, 1871; Christine, born August 24, 1875, died July 23, 1876; Gershon B., born April 11, 1877, is attending the Wyoming Seminary; Jennie L., born August 31, 1878, is a student at the Menken Convent, Wilkes-Barre; James S., born March 7, 1880, at the private school of Mary L. Reeves, Wyoming borough; Eva H., born July 13, 1881, died November 4, 1884; Anna S., born January 1, 1884, died June 5, 1884. The mother of this family died July 1, 1889. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church, a loving wife, and a kind and gentle mother, whose Christian influence is sadly missed by the interesting family left behind. Mr. LaFrance and children attend the Methodist Church; he is a member of the I. O. O. F., the Jr. O. U. A. M., and in politics is a good Democrat.
JAMES D. LAIRD, harness maker, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Wilkes-Barre July 13, 1818, and is a son of Gilbert and Charlotte (Mattley) Laird, the former of whom was born in Ireland and came to Wilkes-Barre when he was seven years old. The paternal grandfather, James Laird, a native of Scotland, came to America about 1800; was a shoemaker by trade, and died at Forty Fort, this county, where he is buried. His wife was Ann Cashore, born in Ireland of Scotch parents, and by her he had five children: Glover, James, Gilbert, Mary and Ann. The father of our subject was reared in Wilkes-Barre, and after attaining his majority opened the first drug store in Wilkes-Barre. He was also a shoe merchant and a baker, and for many years was proprietor of a stage freight line between Wilkes-Barre and Philadephia-running a four-horse team for that purpose. He was the father of eight children: John, Ann (Mrs. James Snyder), James D., Mary (Mrs. Joseph Easterline), Char lotte (Mrs. Joseph Schooley), Hattie (Mrs. William Neiman), Glover and Gilbert. Our subject was reared in Wilkes-Barre, learned his trade in Newark, N. J., serving there an apprenticeship of five years. In 1840, he embarked in business on his own account in Wilkes-Barre, in which he has since successfully continued, with the exception of twenty months he was located at Lock Haven. In 1847, Mr. Laird married Patience, daughter of William Jackson, and has four children living: Lottie (Mrs. Jesse Carpenter), Ann (Mrs. Daniel Lodrick), Emma (Mrs. James Hughes) and Florenia (Mrs. Lee Stanton). Mr. and Mrs. Laird are members of the M. E. Church. In politics, he is a Republican. He is the oldest native-born citizen of Wilkes-Barre living at the present time in the city.
DAVID H. LAKE, M.D., physician and surgeon, Kingston, is a native of Carmarthen, Wales, and was born July 26, 1863, a son of Rev. L. and Margaret (Hughes) Lake. The family came to this country in 1872, and located at Youngstown, Ohio, where they remained about four years, when they removed to Pennsylvania, residing in Mahanoy City for a time; thence removed to Scranton, where they remained until 1885, when they proceeded to Knoxville, Tenn., where Rev. Mr. Lake is now pastor of the Welsh Congregational Church. Our subject was prepared for college under the preceptorship of his father, and entered Marietta College; after completing his course, he taught school in Scranton for a time, and then began his medical studies under Dr. Allen, a very prominent member of the profession, at Scranton. In 1882, he entered Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, where he was graduated in the class of 1885; then received the appointment of resident physician of the Philadelphia (Blakeley) Hospital, where he remained fourteen months. He then removed to Drifton, Pa., and practiced with Dr. Wentz for a short time; he also had charge of the hospital there. He remained there but a short time, however, when in 1886, he located at Kingston. He has since been engaged in his professional work in that place, and his skill has crowned his efforts with success. Dr. Lake was married, December 25, 1889, to Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas Layshaw, of Kingston, and this union has been blessed with one child, Louise, born December 19, 1890.
CHARLES C. LAMOREUX, farmer, P. O. Huntsville, was born September 14, 1843, and was reared and educated in Jackson township. He is a son of Wesley and Emeline (Brown) Lamoreux, both of whom were born in Jackson township. Wesley was a son of Thomas, a native of France, who came to this country about 1815, locating in Jackson township, where he followed farming with marked success. He died at the age of fifty years. His family numbered eleven children, two of whom are now living. Wesley, the father of our subject, lived all his life in Jackson township, following in the footsteps of his father, and was a loyal citizen and an industrious farmer. He died at the age of fifty, having reared a family of eight children, all of whom grew to maturity, Charles C. being the second in the family. Charles C. Lamoreux has always confined himself to farming, and at the age of twenty-one began life for himself, working by the month. On December 4, 1872, he married Miss Emma, daughter of C harles and Margaret Smith. To this union were born five children, three of whom are now living: Maggie E., Morris H. and Minnie P. Mrs. Lamoreux was born in Trucksville, Pa., November 13, 1851; her ancestors on her mother's side were the oldest settlers this side of the mountain. At the age of nineteen, Mr. Lamoreux enlisted, in 1862, in Company D, Thirtieth Pennsylvania Emergency Corps, from which command he was honorably discharged. He is now a farmer of considerable means, and has a comfortable home and luxurious surroundings. In 1873, he moved to his present home of 150 acres, here he has ever since remained. Our subject is a member of the Grange, and politically is a Republican.
D. M. LAMOREUX, farmer, P. O. Silkworth, was born in Plymouth township, February 26, 1851, and is a son of Nathan and Kate (Benedict) Lamoreux, the former born August 17, 1807, in what is now Jackson township, the latter January 13, 1810, in Kingston township. Nathan was a son of James, also a native of this county, and a son of Thomas Lamoreux, who was a Frenchman, and one of the first of the Lamoreux to remove to this county. Nathan lived in Plymouth township all his life, and, like his forefathers, followed a farmer's calling. He was a worthy citizen, a good neighbor and an indulgent parent. He held several township offices. He died March 10, 1883, aged seventy-six years, having been preceded by his wife February 26, 1878, at the age of sixty-eight years. Their family consisted of nine children, seven of whom grew to maturity, and six of whom are now living. D. M. is one of a pair of twins, and the last of the family. He always followed farming and within the limits of Plymouth township. In April, 1876, he married Miss Mary J., daughter of Isaac and Sarah Cragle, and there have been three children born to them: Gershom, born in 1877; Devolsom, born in 1880, and Daisy R., born in 1883, all of whom are living. Mrs. Mary J. Lamoreux was born in Lehman in 1853. Mr. Lamoreux is a practical farmer; he owns sixty-five acres in Plymouth township on which he resides, also sixty-five acres in Lehman township. Mr. Lamoreux is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M., patriotic in the extreme. His four brothers, George, Josey, Josiah and Philip, served in the Civil War; Josey died in Belle Isle Prison in March, 1864. Politically our subject is a Republican.
FLETCHER LAMOREUX, farmer, P. O. Huntsville, was born January 12, 1823, and reared and educated in Jackson township. He is the son of Thomas and Mary (Boston) Lamoreux, the former born in Jackson township, the latter in or near Sunbury, Pa. Thomas was a son of Thomas Lamoreux, who was one of the first to locate on the north side of the mountain. Thomas Case, A. Skadder, Mr. Ruggles and Jesse Brown were the others. Thomas Lamoreux, Sr., is supposed to have come from New York State. The Lamoreux were all tillers of the soil, honest and conservative. His son, Thomas, Jr., settled in Jackson township near Brown's Corners, where he always followed farming. He died at the age of thirty-eight, leaving a family of eight children, all of whom grew to maturity. Fletcher, who is the fifth in this family, received a common school education, and has always confined himself to a farmer's life, and he has always lived on the farm on which he was born, which he has improved and beautified to perfection. The old homestead consisted of eighty acres, but by patient toil and a close eye to business, Mr. Lamoreux has purchased land on all sides of him, until now his farm counts 200 acres of valuable and fertile soil. At the age of twenty-six, he married Miss Mary, daughter of William and Jane Ransom, and children were born to them, all of whom grew to maturity, viz.: Frank, Emma, Ellen, Wilbert, Addie, Clara, Ira and Eudora. Of these, Emma married Henry Johnson; Ellen married Weldon Harter; Addie married Eugene Davenport, and Clara married Wesley Morton. Mrs. Lamoreux died after a peaceful wedded life of forty-two years. Her death occurring July 10, 1890, when she was aged sixty years. Mr. Lamoreux is a prosperous and wealthy farmer, who can look with satisfaction on the labor of his honest and diligent hands. He lives within easy access of Plymouth market, about four miles from that town. Politically, he is a Democrat.
FRANK LAMOREUX, farmer, P. O. Huntsville, was born in Jackson township, March 28, 1853, and is a son of Fletcher and Mary (Ransom) Lamoreux, both of whom were also born in Jackson township. Fletcher is a son of Thomas, who was also born in Jackson township. Thomas was a son of Thomas Lamoreux, who was one of the first to locate north of the mountain. The family are all farmers, industrious and honest. Fletcher is a prosperous farmer, and lives on the same farm on which he was born. His family consisted of eight children, all of whom grew to maturity. Frank is the eldest in the family, and was reared and educated at the common schools in Jackson township, where he has always lived as a loyal citizen of the Commonwealth. On December 12, 1877, at the age of twenty-four he married Miss Lizzie, daughter of Miles and Betsy Davenport. By this union were born eight children, seven of whom are now living: Maude, Rush, May, Eugene, Ethel, Edith, and one unnamed. Mr. Lamoreux is a thrifty farmer and lives on a 134 acre farm of fertile soil. The house in which he lives and in which the subject of this sketch has resided for twelve years, was built about fifty years ago by John Lamoreux.
PHILIP LAMOREUX, farmer, P. O. Outlet, was born in Jackson township, May 29, 1844, a son of Nathan and Kate A. (Benedict) Lamoreux, the former born in Jackson township, the latter in Wilkes-Barre. Nathan Lamoreux is a son of James, who was a son of Thomas, who was the first of the family to come over the Plymouth Mountain. They are of French descent, and it is said that their forefathers came over with Gen. LaFayette during the Revolutionary War, and fought in that struggle with their countrymen. The Lamoreux family first located in Orange County, N.Y., from which place they removed to Plymouth, Pa., subsequent to the Massacre, and thence to Jackson township, Thomas settling on the farm now occupied by Ira Ransom. His son, James, occupied 150 acres in the same neighborhood, which he cleared and beautified during his lifetime; he was a good moral man, whose life was uneventful. Some twelve of his grandsons served in the defense of their country during the dark days of the Rebellion. His family consisted of ten children, all of whom are dead. Nathan Lamoreux remained in Jackson township until he reached his majority, when he purchased a farm of seventy-five acres in Plymouth township, on which he ended his days. He was a hard working, industrious man, and a consistent member of the Baptist Church. He reached the age of seventy-five years and reared a family of seven children, six of whom are yet living, and four of them he sent to the defense of his country, one of whom died in Libby prison (Jose). Philip Lamoreux, the subject of this sketch, was reared and educated in Plymouth township, and always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. In 1864, he became a member of Company F, Two Hundred and Third P. V. I., for the term of one year, and served to the close of the war, having participated in the battle of Fort Fisher and other minor engagements. He was honorably discharged, and is now a member of the G. A. R. In 1869, he married Miss Maria, daughter of William and Ann Hoover, and by her had five children: Arthur, Clarence, Lavina, Norman and Morgan. In 1886, Mr. Lamoreux married, for his second wife, Miss Laura, daughter of Jesse and Elmira Dexterly, by which union he had two children: Jose and Vernie. In 1872, Mr. Lamoreux removed from Lehman to the place on which he now resides. He has a neat farm of 100 acres, fifty of which are well under cultivation, and he has made vast improvements in the clearing of the fields, planting of orchards, and the erecting of buildings. He is a thorough going man, a practical farmer, and a hospitable gentleman. Politically he is a Republican.
JOHN S. LAMPMAN, Wilkes-Barre, is known throughout the United States as one of the most successful oculists and aurists in the country. He was born at Pittston, Pa., December 20, 1838, and is a son of Norman and Phoebe (Engle) Lampman. His father, who was a native of Columbia County, N.Y., settled in Pittston, Pa., in 1810, married there, and had eight children who grew to maturity: George, John S., Norman, Joseph, Edward, Elizabeth, Frances and Mary A. The father of subject was skillful in treating diseases of the eye, and the latter early manifested great talent in locating, and applying proper remedies. He applied himself to make discoveries, and succeeded in bringing into use remedies unknown to any other oculist in the world, rendering his method of treatment entirely original, and he began his practice by treating and curing an afflicted sister in 1863. During that year, his father died, and our subject assumed his practice, residing at Pleasant Valley, near Pittston, until 1876, when he removed to Wilkes-Barre, where he has since resided, and built up an extensive and lucrative business. Our subject married, January 25, 1872, Margaret, daughter of Charles Shales, of Kingston township, and by this marriage has two children: Frank and Ralph. Dr. Lampman has established such a reputation for skill in his special line, that further comment is unnecessary. He is a prominent member of the Society of Good Fellows, and in politics is a Democrat.
LEWIS B. LANDMESSER, postmaster, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Hanover township, March 5, 1850, a son of Lewis Landmesser, one of the earliest settlers of this county. The latter was a native of Prussia, and immigrated to this country in 1836. Lewis B. Landmesser was educated at Wilkes-Barre Institute, Hopkins Grammar School, New Haven, and at Yale College; he was graduated from the latter in the class of 1871, and afterward spent a year and a half in Germany attending lectures at Heidelberg and the University at Berlin. He then returned to Wilkes-Barre, and entered the law office of Hon. L. D. Shoemaker as a student. He subsequently read law with Hon. H. B. Payne and Hon. Stanley Woodward, and was admitted to Luzerne County bar April 15, 1875. For three years, Mr. Landmesser was examiner of the Orphan's Court, and in 1888, at the request of Hon. D. L. Rhone, Judge of the Orphan's Court, he revised and arranged the present "Rules of the Orphan's Court." In politics, he affiliates with the Republican party, and has always taken an active part in State affairs, and for the past three years has been chairman of the Republican County Committee. He is also a prominent Mason, being Past Master of Lodge No. 61, F. & A. M., one of the oldest lodges in the State, constituted in 1794, and past high priest of Shekinah Chapter No. 182, R. A. M.
M J LANGAN, mine superintendent for the Newton Coal Company, Pittston. The successful operation of such vast mining industries as this company carries on requires men of experience and ability at the heads of the various departments, and in this respect it may be truthfully said of Mr Langan that no man is better fitted for his position than he is. His good judgement, supplemented by years of experience, renders him well capable to deal readily with all perplexing questions, of whatsoever nature, that may arise around him. He was born in Pittston, Pa., october 5, 1851, and is a son of James and Mary (Besnan) Langan, natives of Ireland. He was educated in the public schools of Pittston, and when about ten years of age commensed work as a slate picker. Mining seems to have been the mission of his life. He has worked in every capacity around the mines from that of a slate-picker to his present position of trust and responsibility. In 1877 he was appointed mine foreman, and in 1885 was promoted to superintendent. He was united in marriage April 26 1876, to Miss Mary Finan, of Carbondale, and to them have benn born eight children, viz: James, Ambrose, Mame, Edgar, Michael J., Vincent, Richard and Maggie. Mr Langan is one of Pittston's most widely known and highly respected citizens, and has always been a stanch Democrat.
JOSEPH J. LANGDON, miner, Henry Shaft, Plains, was born in Cornwall, England, in 1862, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (martin) Langdon, the former of whom was a locomotive engineer. They reared a family of nine children, six of whom are living, viz.: Julia (Mrs. Thomas Butts, Plains), Elizabeth J. (Mrs John Hayes, Plains), Mary M. (wife of William Pengelby, a gold-miner in Australia), Joseph J., Rosina (who lives with her parents in England) and Albert H. (who came to America in 1886, and has since been engaged in the Henry Shaft, where he lost his arm by a fall of rock; he now lives with brother, and tends the foot of the slope). Our subject came to America in 1881, and engaged as laborer in the Henry Shaft three years, since when he has followed mining. In 1887 he built and removed to his present residence. Mr Langdon was married August 10, 1887, to Miss Phebe, daughter of William George, of Plains, and they have had five children, viz.: William G., Elizabeth, Joseph Gilbert, Edgar, and Esther Lillian, who died March 1, 1892. Mr Langdon and family usually attend the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the Sons of St. George; in political sympathy with the Republican party, he held the office of constable in Plains township, from 1888 to 1892.
JOHN LANING, retired, Wilkes-Barre, was born in that city, October 7, 1836, and is a son of A.C. and Amanda E. Laning, now deceased. He received his education at the old academy on the Public Square, preparatory to his entering LaFayette College in 1854. After a three years course at that institution, he entered College at Schenectady, N.Y., and was graduated from the latter in 1858. Immediately following his graduation, he was employed as draughtsman, and afterward as bookkeeper for Laning & Marshal, at their machine shop on Canal street, now the Dickson Manufacturing Company. He was a member of the town council the year Wilkes-Barre became a city. Mr. Laning was united in marriage September 19, 1865, with Helen C. Brower, of New York, and they had six children, three of whom are living: Augustus C., Elizabeth V. and John Jr. From 1866 to 1879 he was engaged in the lumber business, running a planing-mill in connection with his lumber yard. In 1880 he became superintendent of the Hollenback Coal Company, holding that position until 1887, when he retired from active business life. He has been conspicuous in improving the city of Wilkes-Barre, notably in erecting the Laning Building. He is a director of the Miners Savings Bank, the Wilkes-Barre Bridge Company and the Wilkes-Barre & Wyoming Valley Traction Company.
ENOCH LANNING, a farmer of Fairmount township, P.O. Ripple, was born in New Jersey, April 29, 1824, a son of Daniel and Rebecca (Huffman) Lanning, natives of New Jersey, and of English and German origin respectively. Daniel was a miller, stone-mason and farmer by occupation, and departed this life in 1867, at the age of seventy years. Enoch Lanning is the third in order of birth in a family of five children, three of whom are living. He was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, and when twenty-one years of age began life for himself as a farm laborer. This he followed until 1857, when he purchased his present farm - then a wilderness - and proceeded to clear it up and build thereon. It is three fourths of a mile south of the Ripple postoffice, contains ninety acres, and is today one of the leading farms in the township. Mr. Lanning was married, March 29, 1848, to Mary A., daughter of George and Susan Vosler, natives of New Jersey, and of German origin. She is the eldest in a family of eight children and was born September 7, 1829. This union was blessed with two children, viz.: Sarah E., born October 13, 1850, died June 7, 1867; and John W., born July 9, 1853, living with his father and working the farm (he married Eliza E. Blaine, daughter of Joseph Blaine, and they have one child, Alfred C., born November 3, 1877). All the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1864 Mr. Lanning enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth P. V., served with his regiment through the remainder of the war, and was discharged June 28, 1865. He has been auditor of his township three terms, supervisor one term, school director three years, and town treasurer for three years. In politics he is a Republican.
ALVIN LAPE, Nanticoke. Among the leading men of Nanticoke borough may well be noted the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch. He was born in Nanticoke January 20, 1839, son of Adam and Elizabeth (Croop) Lape, natives of Luzerne county, of German lineage; he is the fourth in a family of seven children. He was educated in the common schools of Luzerne county, and began life for himself at about the age of twenty, following boating for about three years on the lower Susquehanna. He then lived on a farm for a time, at the same time engaging in the butcher business. He continued in this until 1863, when he left the farm and came to live at Nanticoke, devoting his entire attention to the meat market. Mr. Lape carried on business alone until 1870, when he entered into a partnership with J. H. Hildreth, under the firm name of Lape & Co., and, since that time, they have conducted the largest meat market in the Wyoming Valley. July 10, 1863, he was united in marriage with Miss Amelia James, an accomplished young lady of Nanticoke. This happy union has been blessed with seven children: Bessie, married to Frank Levenworth, of Wilkes-Barre; Andrew C., a bookkeeper; Carrie, married to I. E. Leonard, of Athens, Pa.; Harry; Helen; Joseph, and Frank. In politics Mr Lape is a Republican, and has been a member of the borough council of Nanticoke; he has also served as chief of the Nanticoke Fire Department two years. Socially he is a member of the F. & A. M.
HARRY LARNED, farmer, Huntington township, P. O. Huntington Mills, was born in Exeter township, April 20, 1824. He is the son of Theopholis and Elizabeth (Smith) Larned, natives of Connecticut and Pennsylvania, respectively, of English origin; the father was a farmer by occupation, and came from Connecticut to the Wyoming Valley, in 1798, when but seven years of age; he died in 1873. Harry Larned is the sixth in order of birth in a family of twelve children, ten of whom are now living. He was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, and after reaching his majority worked two years for his father on the homestead farm, when he bought his present farm of sixty-eight acres, one and one -fourth miles from Huntington Mills postoffice, on the Shickshinny turnpike. He was married, February 25, 1847, to Sarah J., daughter of Caleb and Hannah (Forbes) Hoyt, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English origin. By her he had three children, viz.: Charles H., born December 23, 1847; Mary E. (Mrs. E. C. Stanley), born March 7, 1850; and William A., born May 17, 1861. Mrs. Larned died November 13, 1887. He was afterward married June 6, 1889, to Priscilla (Snyder) Zimmerman, widow of Samuel Zimmerman. She is a member of the M. E. Church. Both are members of the P. of H. and Mr. Larned has held the following offices: School director, supervisor and tax collector: in politics he is independent.
FREEMAN LARNERD, contractor, Dupont, was born in Pittston township, March 12, 1841, a son of John and Ruth A. (Mulligan) Larnerd, the former born in Gouldsboro, the latter in Jenkins township. John was a son of Lyman Larnerd, who removed to this county about 1812, locating in what is known as ABrier Patch, where he bought a lot of land, on which he remained several years. From there he removed to Florida, where he died. He married Catherine, daughter of John Naugle, and by her was born one son, John, who was reared and educated in this county, and by occupation was a blacksmith. He, too, was a resident of Brier Patch, and was a man of sound principles, of sterling integrity, one who through life practiced the Agolden rule. He died May 8, 1859, at the age of forty five years; his wife died December 15, 1881, aged sixty-three years. His family consisted of six children, all of whom are yet living, and in good circumstances. Freeman, who is the second by birth, was reared and educated in this county, and always confined himself to lumbering. Between the ages of twenty and twenty-one years he showed his patriotism when his country sounded the alarm, and called her loyal citizens to protect the Union by offering their services in its defense. He became a member of Company L, Pennsylvania Cavalry, for the term of three years, and during this service, he showed heroic courage worthy of an old veteran, participating in the battle of Perryville and others. He was honorably discharged, and afterward enlisted in the M.M.B. (Marine service) in which he was promoted to the rank of sergeant. Here, too, he showed himself worthy of his stripes. After serving his time he was honorably discharged, and again he became a defender of the stars and stripes, by becoming a member of the Forty-eighth P.V.I., in which he served to the close of the war in 1865, when he was honorably discharged. During his last years service he participated in the downfall of Petersburg. During his service on the gunboat "James Adams," while on a land engagement at Collins Cross Roads, he got his leg broken, but, notwithstanding the excruciating pain, he fought his way through to victory, and triumphed in his ability to be small factor in the preservation of the union. His courage was also displayed at the battle of Vicksburg, and other hard-fought battles. On his return to citizenship, he again gave his attention to the lumber business in Pittston township. In 1866 Mr. Larnerd married Mrs. Catherine Sterling, daughter of Michael Beaver, but she died six months after marriage, and on March 21, 1868, he married, for his second wife, Mrs. Mary A., widow of Frederick Urns, and daughter of Caleb Lidy, by which union he had nine children, five of whom are living: John, Gertrude, Freeman, Charles and Bessie. In 1869 Mr. Larnerd removed to the village of Dupont, where he has resided ever since. He owns several houses and eight lots in Dupont; his wife owns six houses and six lots in Dupont, and one lot in Avoca, in her own right. Formerly our subject was engaged somewhat in merchandising, and also carried on a butcher business. He is a man of some influence in his town, and was the prime mover in having the postoffice established at Dupont. He is a stanch Republican, and is a member of the I.O.O.F., N.H., and G.A.R., George Hill Post No. 540. Mr. Larnerd is a whole-souled and large hearted man.
WALTER LATHROP, physician and surgeon, Miners Mills. Dr. Lathrop, although a young man, stands among the leading medical men of his county in his profession. He was born in Monrtose, Susquehanna Co., Pa., May 23, 1867, a son of Dudson R. and Sarah (Dimmock) Lathrop, natives of Pennsylvania, and of New England origin. Dr. Lathrop was educated in private schools and the University of Pennsylvania, where he was graduated in 1890, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then came to Wilkes-Barre, where he had charge of the city hospital for one and one-half years, when he removed to Kingston, where he acquired a large and increasing practice. He has since removed to Miners Mills, where he is now practicing his profession.
ALEXANDER LATTA, miner, P.O. Inkerman, Jenkins township, was born in Schuylkill county, Pa., April 14, 1849, a son of Colon and Jeanette (McGregor) Latta, natives of Scotland. His father, who was a miner, came to America in May, 1848, and died October 25, 1852, at the age of thirty years. The family consisted of four children, two of whom are living: Alexander, and Thomas, a hotel keeper in Aspen, Pitkin Co., Colo. Our subject was educated in the public school, and in the select school of Benjamin Evans, Pittston, and at the age of eleven years began working about the mines, which vocation he has since followed, including twenty-one years mining. He built his present residence in 1887. Mr Latta was married August 17, 1878, to Miss Jane, daughter of William and Barbara (Laird) Robertson, natives of Scotland. They have two children, one of whom is living, Jessie. He and his wife attend the Presbyterian Church, of which Mrs. Latta is a member. He is a member of the K. of P., and is a Republican in his political views.
EDWIN F. LAUBACH, farmer and merchant, Huntington township, P.O. Cambra, was born December 4, 1859, in Columbia county, a son of Andrew and Eveline (Stephus) Laubach, natives of Pennsylvania and of German and English origin, the former of whom is a merchant at Guava, Columbia Co., Pa., a son of Frederick and Mary (Larish) Lanbach. Our subject, who is the seventh in a family of ten children, eight of whom are living, was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools. When nineteen years of age he started out for himself, and has since been engaged in various occupations, as follows; one year as a farm laborer; taught school, two years; clerk in his fathers store, one year; in lumber business a year; proprietor of the ANew Columbus Hotel, two years; partner in his fathers store until 1888; then opened a store in New Columbus borough, and conducted same until 1891; then he moved on to the William Bellas farm of 115 acres, where he now lives. Operating a store in conjunction. Mr. Laubach was married, November 4, 1882, to Miss Mary E., daughter of William and Catharine (Ash) Bellas, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. Mr. Bellas was a farmer by occupation, and was killed by lightning, June 14, 1888. Mrs. Laubach is the second of a family of five children (two of whom are living), and was born September 18, 1862. This union is blessed with two children, viz.: Nora B., born September 7, 1883, and Mary C., born May 31, 1890. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Laubach is a Democrat, and held the offices of treasurer of New Columbus borough, and school director. On December 10, 1891, he had the misfortune to lose his left hand by having it caught in the cogs of a corn-husking machine.
THOMAS F. LAUBACH, alderman, city of Hazleton. This gentleman was born at Coles Creek, Columbia Co., Pa., November 10, 1831, and is a son of Frederick and Mary (Larrish) Laubach, the former a native of Coles Creek, Pa., and the latter of Light Street, same county, both being of German extraction. In their family there were seven children, of whom Thomas F. is the fourth. Or subject was reared and educated in his native village, devoting some of his boyhood days to working on a farm, and the engaged in lumbering in Fairmount township, this county, which occupation he followed fifteen years. He then moved to Hazleton, and engaged in the butchering business, which he carried on two years, at the end of which time he went to Beaver Meadows, Carbon county, where for two years he continued in the meat business. After passing two years more in the grocery business at that place, he returned to Hazleton, and was engaged as collector for several newspapers for about ten years, or until 1887, when he was elected alderman under the new city charter, and was the first alderman to take the oath of office in the city of Hazleton. Mr. Laubach was married, February 25, 1853, to Miss Phebe J., daughter of Ami and Sarah (Wilkinson) Harrison, of Huntington township, this county, and of New England origin. Mr. and Mrs. Lanbach have had born unto them five children, viz.: Emma L., widow of Harry Drew (deceased), Ida R., now Mrs. M. D. Williams, of Hazleton; Fred A., in Hazleton, married to Miss Jennie Wynn, of the same place; Sally, married to Thomas Stephens, of Hazleton; and Gertrude, single. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, with the exception of Mrs. Laubach who is a Methodist. Mr. Laubach is one of Hazletons most respected citizens, and in his political views he is a Democrat.
CHARLES LAUX, farmer, P.O. Dallas, was born, April 27, 1859, in Wilkes-Barre, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of Jacob and Mary (Schwab) Laux, both of whom were born in Rhine Pfalz, Germany. They came to this country in 1856, landing in New York, August 7, their first home being in Wilkes-Barre where they resided for about eleven years. During their stay in Wilkes-Barre, Mr. Laux followed various vocations, and was always an honest and industrious man. In 1867 he bought the property known as the A Snyder Place, a farm of sixty acres under cultivation. In 1868 they moved on it, and remained in full possession till April 2, 1891, when death claimed the father at the age of sixty-nine years. Jacob Laux was a hard-working man, honest, industrious to a fault, a good citizen, a loving husband, and an indulgent father. His family consisted of ten children, six of whom grew to maturity and are now living, as follows: John, Maggie, Augustus, Charles, Mary and Phebe. Charles has always confined himself to farming. He is a promising young man of natural abilities, and had helped, under the supervision of his father, to make many improvements on the place. Although still a young man, he has been honored with several township offices. His mother has descended from good German ancestry, some of whom were judges of the German court. In religious belief, they are Catholics; politically our subject is a Democrat.
CHARLES LAVIN, tailor, Wilkes-Barre, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, August 20, 1847, a son of Bryan and Margaret Lavin. He was reared in Ireland until eighteen years of age - four years of which time he served an apprenticeship at his trade - and then went to England; here he spent four years in Manchester and Blackburn, working at his trade as a journeyman. In 1870 he came to America and located in Wilkes-Barre, where he has since resided, and engaged at his trade. August 20, 1869, Mr. Lavin married Miss Mary, daughter of Augustine and Mary (Haddigen) Finn, of County Mayo, Ireland. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and of the Father Mathew Total Abstinence Society. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has represented the Second Ward as councilman since 1889.
THOMAS LAVIN, merchant, Hanover township, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, November 27, 1849, and is a son of Michael and Mary (Leech) Lavin. His father, who was a farmer and saloon keeper, reared a family of eleven children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Thomas; William, a brick layer, of Chicago; George, of San Francisco; Catherine, married to Thomas Brady, deceased, in Nebraska; Bridget, married to Matthew Spencer, of Sedgwick, Colo.; Michael, in Denver, Colo.: Maria, married to John V. Rogers, in Kansas. The family came to America in 1867, and after a short time passed in Brooklyn, removed to Waterville, Kans. The mother is still living with Bridget in Colorado. Our subject remained in Brooklyn about eight months, and afterward resided a few months in Philadelphia, thence coming to Hanover township, this county, where he worked on the gravel train a few months, and then entered the employ of the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company, in which he remained till 1889, including sixteen years mining. He built his present residence and place of business in 1886. Mr. Lavin was married August 23, 1872, to Miss Hannah, daughter of John Murphy, of County Mayo, Ireland. The issue of this union has been eleven children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Michael, Mary, George, William, James, Catherine and martin. This gentleman and family are members of the Catholic Church. He is a member of the Father Mathew Society, A.O.H., and E.B.A. He is a Democrat in his political views, and has held the offices of school director and tax collector in Hanover township. He is a man loyal to his convictions and the principles of his party to which he has rendered much valuable aid, by the respect and influence which he commands in the community in which he lives.
JOHN A. LAW, coal operator, Pittston. This gentleman, who ranks among the prosperous and active young business men of this county, was born in Carbondale, Pa., March 4, 1857, and is a son of Andrew H. and Helen (Aitken) Law, both of Scotch descent. His father was a prominent citizen of Pitston and for thirty years was engaged in mercantile business in Pittston in the old Odd Fellows Block, and was on of the members of the firm of Law & McMillian, which was organized there in 1857 and continued until 1879, when the death of Mr. Law caused the dissolution of the firm. The parents has a family of six children, viz.: Jean, wife of W. L. Watson, cashier of the First National Bank, Pittston; Helen, wife of James P. Moffatt, and engineer in the employ of the Pennsylvania Coal Company at Barnum Shaft, with residence in Pittston; Helen, who resides in New Brunswick, N. J.; Martha, wife of James W. Johnson, member of the firm of Johnson & Johnson, manufacturers and wholesale dealers in druggists sundries, of New Brunswick, N. J.; John A. and Andrew (twins), the latter of whom is an engineer in the employ of the Pennsylvania Coal Company. The mother died March 6, 1888. Our subject passed his boyhood in Pittston, and was educated in the public schools of that city, and the commercial department of the Wyoming Seminary. While a boy he entered his fathers store, and there acquired a practical business education far superior to any college training, and which was the foundation of his success. He was connected with this business until after his fathers death, was appointed by him as executor of his estate, and her was engaged in settling and closing out the business until 1890. In 1885 Mr. Law began to turn his attention to coal operations, and that year made some judicious investments in coal lands in the vicinity of Pleasant Valley, that soon developed into a paying investment. Since the closing out of his fathers business he has devoted the greater part of his time to coal operations, and in this line, as in all other things to which he has laid his hand, he has been very successful. To-day he stands in the front rank of the brilliant and successful young business men of the county, and has among the people of his native county a multitude of friends who love and respect him for his intrinsic worth. Mr. Law is a member of Valley Lodge No. 499, Pittston Chapter No. 242, Wyoming Valley Commandery No. 57, Keystone Consistory of Scranton, and Lulu Temple of Philadelphia; he is now master of Valley Lodge, F. & A. M. He is also a member of Thistle Lodge, I. O. O. F. Politically Mr. Law is a stanch Republican.
JOHN B. LAW, general manager of the Newton Coal Mining Company since September 1, 1892, and formerly mine superintendent Pennsylvania Coal Company, was born at Archbald, Pa., November 28, 1852, a son of William and Catherine (Bryden) Law, natives of Scotland. His father came to America in 1842, locating at Carbondale, Pa., where he was a miner, and in 1850 removed to Dunmore, where he had control of the Pennsylvania Company Coal Mines until 1851, in which year he went to Archbald and was superintendent of collieries there until 1854, when he was made superintendent of the Pennsylvania Companys mines at Pittston, in which position he continued until his death December 25, 1880. His children were seven in number; Margaret (Mrs. Alexander Bryden), John B., Jane (Mrs. Adam Harkness), Elizabeth (Mrs. C. C. Bowman), Alexander, Annie and Nettie (Mrs. W. R. Teeler). Our subject was reared in Pittston, where he attended the public schools until fifteen years of age, and then entered the Riverview Military Academy at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., remaining there one year; then entered LaFayette College, Easton, Pa., where he was graduated in 1872. Having made mine engineering a special study, he at once accepted a position on the engineer corps of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Company, which he held nine months, after which he took charge of the Pleasant Valley Collieries at Pittston, for the Pennsylvania Coal Company, as foreman, a position he held six years, at the end of which time he assumed charge of the Mining Engineering Corps and superintended the engineering for all the collieries in Pittston until 1880, when he accepted a position with the Roberts Iron Co., at Robertsville, Canada, as superintendent of works. After one and one half years service there he was compelled to resign on account of ill health, and returning to Pittston was assistant superintendent under his father until the death of the latter, since which time he filled the position until September 1, 1892. Mr. Law was married September 22, 1874, to Jennie, daughter of John McDougall, of Pittston, and has two children , Janet and Jean. Our subject is a prominent member of the P. & A. M., and of the Presbyterian Church; in politics he is a Republican.
WILLIAM H. LAWALL, conductor on the Reading Railroad System, Hazleton Division. This popular railroad man was born at Hazleton in May, 1852, and is a son of Thomas and Catharine (Geiger) Lawall, natives of Pennsylvania. William H. was reared in Hazleton, and educated in the public schools of that city and at the Wyoming Seminary, Kingston. At the close of his school days he secured a position as manager of the supply store operated by A. Pardee & Co. He occupied this position for six years, and at the end of that time began railroading on the Lehigh Valley Railroad System, and since 1881 has been passenger conductor between Hazleton and White Haven. His courteous manners and obliging ways have won for him hosts of friends, not only among railroad men, but the traveling public in general. Mr. Lawall was married in February, 1887, to Miss Martha, daughter of William Powell, Sr., the only surviving partner of the Upper Lehigh Coal Company. Two children have been born to this union: William P. and Thomas G. Mr. Lawall is a member of the F.& A.M., and the family attend the Presbyterian Church.
THOMAS FRANCIS LAWLESS, lumber dealer, Kingston, is one of the three members of the prosperous business enterprise of Luzerne county, known as the Kingston Lumber Company, whose business headquarters are located at Kingston. He was born at Tobyhanna, Monroe Co., Pa., December 4, 1859, and is a son of Thomas and Margaret (Duffy) Lawless, both being natives of Ireland. Mr. Lawless received his education in the common schools of his native county, and the city of Philadelphia. After leaving school he accepted a clerkship in the office of Albert Lewis, at White Haven, where he was employed two years, when he was transferred to the Bear Creek office of Mr. Lewis, taking full charge of his lumber interests there for eight years, thence coming to Kingston, and embarking in his present business. He was married, January 23, 1888, to Miss Mary Eliza, daughter of Richard and Eliza (McAsy) Caffery, both natives of Ireland. This union has been blessed with one child, Richard, born November 30, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Lawless are members of the Catholic Church. In politics, he is a Democrat.
HENRY A. LAWN, tinner, Conyngham, was born in Sugar Loaf township April 29, 1848, a son of Henry and Caroline (Brown) Lawn. His maternal grandfather, Daniel Brown, a native of Lehigh county, was a weaver by trade and a pioneer of Sugar Loaf township, where he cleared and improved a farm on which he lived and died; his wife was Salome Remaly. Henry Lawn, father of subject, was a native of Germany, and came to America during the Athirties. He was a brickmaker by trade, and settled in Sugar Loaf township, where he cleared a farm, manufactured brick, and died in 1880 at the age of sixty-eight. His children were Sarah (Mrs. Christopher Ulrich), Henry A., John A., Clara M. (Mrs. Nathan Wagner), Lena (Mrs. Jonas Hartz), Louisa (Mrs. George Beedman), Anna (Mrs. Henry A. Wachter) and Daniel C. Our subject was reared in Sugar Loaf township, and educated in the common schools. He served three years apprenticeship at the tinners trade, afterward working as a journeyman thirteen years, and since 1884 has been in business for himself at Conyngham. Mr. Lawn has been twice married, his first wife being Martha J. Dennis, of New York State; his second wife was Jennie McAllister, of Danville, Pa. By the latter he has four children: Bessie, Rebecca, Ethel and Myrtle M. Mr. Lawn is a member of the M.E. Church, and of the F.& A.M.; in politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN LAYAON, farmer, was born in Montreal, Canada, May 2, 1834, and is now residing in Jackson township, P.O. Ceases Mills. He is a son of John and Mary (Chevelier) Layaon, both of whom were born in Canada. The father was a son of Joseph, who at the age of forty-one was going to occupy Government land, but was captured by the Indians. He has a varied and trying experience among them, having during his stay of twenty years passed through seven tribes, as one tribe over-powered the other. He was finally released and returned to his friends. John, the subject of this sketch, was reared and educated in Montreal, Canada. In his early life he learned the carpenters trade, at which he has worked for forty years, proving himself to be an adept at his calling. He came to the United States in 1851, and located at Ballston Spa, N.Y., where he remained nine months. He then moved to Saratoga Springs, at which place he completed his trade. Mr. Layaon enlisted in the army August 21, 1862, for the term of three years, becoming a member of Company C, Seventy-seventh New York Infantry. He participated in the battles of Chancellorsville, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and second Bull Run. He served under Gen. Sedgwick, Third Brigade, Smiths Division, and at the close of the war returned to his family. He came to this county in 1863, locating in Plains; soon moved, however, to Jackson township, on the farm on which he now lives, consisting of sixty-three acres, situated about four miles north of Nanticoke; he settled here in 1868. Mr. Layaon is a practical farmer, making the most of his time and opportunities. His farm, though rough, is a model one, he having changed it from a stony waste to its present fertile condition. In 1878 he was so unfortunate as to lose his barn, stock and farming implements by fire. His kind neighbors willingly offered their services; among these were Martin Meyers, Johnson Meyers and Jacob Smith. Mr. Layaon markets all his surplus produce, doing his own selling from his wagon as he moves from house to house. His nearest markets are Nanticoke and Plymouth. Our subject was married December 12, 1854, to Miss Mary, daughter of Isaac and Emily Larabee, and their family numbered fourteen children, eleven of whom are living: John, William, Margaret, Lizzie, Frank, Charles, George, Rosamond, Selina, Kate and Theresa; five of these are married: John, William, George, Margaret and Lizzie. Mr. Layaon is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
HENRY A. LAYCOCK, landlord, Wyoming borough, was born in Warren county, N.J., November 11, 1834, a son of Jacob and Christian (Young) Laycock, also natives of New Jersey, and of English and German origin, respectively. They reared a family of nine children, five of whom are now living, Henry A. being the third in order of birth. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and at the age of eighteen shipped before the mast on a whaling vessel, on which he circumnavigated the globe in a two-years cruise; he then went to Bloomsburg, Pa., and worked as molder in an iron-mill for two years; thence came to Pittston, same State, where he was hotel clerk for three years; then proceeded to California, where he worked in the gold mines for about two years. At the end of that time (in 1861) he joined a regiment under Col. Lippet, but this regiment not being received into the service by the President, Mr. Laycock returned to Luzerne county, raised a company in Pittston, and went to the front as first lieutenant of Company I, Fifty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was promoted to captain after the battle of Antietam, to major on December 23, 1864; to lieutenant-colonel for gallant service in the battle of White Oak Road, Va., May 13, 1865, and to colonel on June 12, 1865, for similar meritorious conduct in the battle of Five Forks. He received several letters of thanks from his generals for bravery on the field. He was conspicuous at the battle of Borden Plank Road, March 29, 1865, for refusing to dismount, and, riding at the head of the regiment, under a heavy fire, he had two horses shot from under him, and his elbow shattered by a rifle ball at the battle of Gravity Run; refusing to go to the hospital, he fought the next days battle at Five Forks with his arm in a sling, winning new laurels and many thanks from his general. The Fifty-sixth regiment entered the service in the latter part of the year 1861, was assigned to Gen. McDonells corps in the spring of 1862; then stationed around Fredericksburg, Va., and in August, 1862, started on the memorable campaign known as APopes Retreat. This regiment took a very active part in the second battle of Bull Run; also participated in all the subsequent engagements fought by the army of the Potomac. In 1864 the regiment re-enlisted for three years, and was the regiment that opened the first fire at the battle of Gettysburg, under the command of Col. J.W. Hofman. The Fifty-sixth participated with credit in the following battles: Rappahannock Station, Sulphur Springs, Gainesville, Groveton, Manassas, South Mountain, Antietam, Union, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Beverly Ford, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania C.H., North Anna, Tolopotomy Creek, Bethesda Church, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Peebles Farm, Chapel House, Hatchers Run, Bellfield, Dabney Mills, Boydton Plank Road, Gravelly Run, Five Forks, Sailors Creek, and was at the surrender of Lee. The regiment was mustered out of service July 1, 1865, at Balls Cross-Roads, Va., and was put en route for home on Sunday morning. The following is a list of the field and staff officers of the regiment: Colonel, Henry A. Laycock; lieutenant-colonel, John A. Black; major, George F. Michaels; adjutant, George E. Guier; quartermaster, S.J. Slocum; surgeon, J.T. Shoemaker; assistant-surgeon, P.H. Pennsylvania; chaplain, B.R. Smith. Mr. Laycock was married November 15, 1871, to Miss Emma Long, of Wilkes-Barre, and they have two children: Gertrude, born January 18, 1875, and Harry, born July 18, 1881. The family are Presbyterians. Mr. Laycock is a Knight Templar, a member of the Knights of Honor, and in politics is a strong Republican.
ROBERT K. LAYCOCK, carriage smith, Wyoming, was born in Warren county, N.J., January 24, 1839, and is a son of Jacob and Christiana (Young) Laycock, natives of New Jersey and of English and German origin, respectively. The father was proprietor of the AAmerican House, Bloomsburg, Pa., at the time of his death, which occurred in May, 1854. He reared a family of nine children, five of whom are now living, Robert K. being the fifth in order of birth. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and at the age of fourteen commenced to learn his trade with Hagge, Brown & Wertman, of Milton, Pa., where he worked eighteen months; then two months for Strawbridge & Wilson; six months for Mathias Appleman, of Rohrsburg, Pa.; six months for George Stricker, of Catawissa, Pa., at the end of which time he moved to Wyoming, Pa., and here worked sixteen months for David B. Polen; thence moved to Lock Haven, and worked for Amos T. Brisel, eight months, when he returned to Wyoming, May 3, 1863, and formed a partnership with A.J. Crouse for the manufacture and repair of wagons, sleighs, etc., the business being known as the Laycock & Crouse Carriage Factory, where are employed about twelve men. Mr. Laycock was married, December 19, 1867, to Mary E., daughter of Almond and Ruth (Jenkins) Church, natives of Pennsylvania and of English origin, the former of whom is a farmer by occupation. He reared a family of four children, three now living. Mrs. Laycock was born July 17, 1842. This union has been blessed with one child, Ruth Anne, born March 6, 1877. Mrs. Laycock and daughter are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Laycock is a member of the K. of H., and is a Kinght Templar. Politically, he is a Democrat, and served as councilman for one term.
GEORGE LAZARUS, farmer, Wilkes-Barre township, was born in Buttonwood, Hanover township, this county, May 22, 1847, a son of Thomas and Rachel (Miller) Lazarus. His father was born in Cherry Hollow, Monroe Co., Pa., and died, on the old homestead at Buttonwood, December 13, 1888, at the age of seventy-two years. His mother was born in Harmony, N.J. and died on the Lazarus homestead, July 30, 1889, at the age of seventy-two years; both parents were of German extraction. His grandparents, George and Mary (Hartzel) Lazarus, came to Hanover township in 1816, and became the possessor of 1,360 acres of land, about 1,100 acres of which proved to be one of the most valuable coal tracts in the Wyoming Valley. They had seven children: John, Betsy (Mrs. Dewitt Stocker), Catherine (Mrs. Fritz Deitrick), Sarah (Mrs. John Blanchard), George (formerly proprietor of the A Eagle Hotel, Pittston), Mary (Mrs. Azel B. Blodget), who is the only survivor, and Thomas. Thomas followed farming and the management of his portion of the estate, which he leased to the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company for a term of ninety-nine years, including all the coal. When the estate came to be distributed among the heirs, there arose a technical point of law, the decision of which has since governed many large coal properties throughout the State, including the coal and iron portion of the Girard estate of Philadelphia. The case was argued before an auditor, who held that as the lease included all the coal there could be no reversion, and hence the coal was personal, and not real estate. The court of Luzerne county decided to the contrary, but the supreme court of Pennsylvania reversed the decision of the lower court, and sustained that of the auditor. The family consisted of eight children, seven of whom reached maturity: Emily E. (Mrs. William Harrison), Lucy A. (Mrs. A.B. Lender), George, Margaret D. (Mrs. R.D. Bennett), Lucinda M. (Mrs. Manly Brundage), Chester B. and Stella (Mrs. J.C. Brader, deceased).
Our subject was educated in the public schools of his native town and the Wyoming Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1869. He has since followed farming and the management of the coal and other estates, in which he has shown ability and shrewdness seldom found, and he has succeeded in accumulating a handsome fortune. He removed to Wilkes-Barre in September, 1891. Mr. Lazarus was married March 16, 1876, to Miss Emma, daughter of George and Margaret (De Reamer) Major, natives of Pennsylvania, of English and French origin respectively. The issue ofthis happy union is one child, George F., a student in the Harry Hillman Academy. Mr. Lazarus and family worship at the Baptist Church, of which Mrs. Lazarus is a member. He is a member of the Hanover Green Cemetery Association. He is a Republican in his political views, and has held numerous offices in his native town. In 1890 he was appointed census commissioner of Hanover township, and has been also commissioned to collect samples of cereals in Luzerne county for the Columbian Exhibition.
BYRON A. LEACOCK, farmer, of Fairmount township, P.O. Ripple, was born October 8, 1843, in that township, and is a son of James F. And Julia A. (Grotz) Leacock, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and German origin, respectively. James Leacock, who was a farmer and mason by occupation, died February 28, 1879, aged eighty-five years. He was a son of John Leacock. Our subject, who is the eleventh in a family of thirteen children, six of whom are now living, was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, New Columbus Academy and Wyoming Seminary. In June, 1863, he enlisted, at Harrisburg, Pa., in the service of his country, and was sergeant of Company F, Twentieth Pennsylvania Cavalry, service being picket duty on the Shippensburg Turnpike; was on duty at Falling Water, Va., Clear Spring on the Potomac River, etc., and was discharged in August, 1863. After a few months rest he re-enlisted, this time in Company D, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered in as a private September 5, 1864; promoted to sergeant September 12, 1864; transferred to Company B, January 5, 1865. Service - First Brigade, First Division, Tenth Corps, October, 1864; fatigue and picket duty with Army of the James, winter of 1864 and 1865; First Division, Twenty-fourth Corps, January, 1865; January, 1865, crossing of the James river, Virginia; March 28, in the charge of Fort Gregg and Fort Alexandra; April 2, front of Petersburg, Va.; April 2, fall of Petersburg and Richmond; April 6, Rice Station; April 6, wounded on skirmish line, near Rice Station, Va., when his watch was forced into his right groin by a gunshot, the watch thus saving his life. He was discharged May 27, 1865, by order of the War Department, dated May 3, 1865. Returning to the pursuits of peace, he worked the homestead farm on shares four years; then was contractor in Wilkes-Barre four years; then was traveling salesman for J.F. Hammes, a marble dealer, two years, after which he took a trip of several months through the West, and returning to Parsons, Pa., drove a supply wagon two years; then worked as a car-runner at Pine Ridge for one year; afterward went to work for the Lehigh Valley Coal Company as stable-boss, in which he remained seven years; and in 1876 he moved on the farm he now owns. Mr. Leacock was married October 12, 1865, to Harriet L., daughter of Nathan and Mary A. (Swank) Kleintob, and who was born April 8, 1843, the eldest in a family of seven children. This union was blessed with four lovely children, viz.: Fannie M., born August 28, 1866, died February 16, 1874; Harry N., born November 26, 1877; Stephen R., born August 26, 1879; and Charles A., born September 11, 1882. The family are members of the M.E. Church. Mr. Leacock is a member of the I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. In politics he is a sound Democrat, and is assistant postmaster.
George LEASER, Hanover township, engineer on the Central Railroad of New Jersey, was born in Germany, August 11, 1848, and is a son of Peter and Martha (DREXELL) LEASER, the latter being a member of a very wealthy family. The father, who was a carpenter by trade, came to America in 1850, and located at Summit Hill, Carbon Co., Pa., where he remained but a short time. Losing everything he had in a fire, he removed to Tamaqua, where he had charge of all the pumps in Rimer's Run for four years. In 1856 he removed to Wilkes-Barre, built the Stanton Breaker, worked later in Newport township, and in 1858 came to Ashley, where he also followed his trade and built locks on the Lehigh Canal. Mr. LEASER served nine months in Company D., One Hundred and Thirty-second P.V.I., after which he worked at mining for some time and then again at his trade. On December 18, 1869, while gunning with the boss carpenter, Philip MANHART, he was accidentally shot by the latter, nine buckshot passing throug his body and killing him instantly. The family of Peter and Martha (DREXELL) LEASER consisted of nine children, viz.: George (born in Germany); Anna (Mrs. John VOGAL); Joseph (who died at the age of two years); John, a fireman in Ashley; Mary (Mrs. Charles MARTIN), who died at the age of thirty-two; Ella, who lives with her brother John; Elizabeth (Mrs. David WELDEN); Margaret (Mrs. John BAKER), and Emma, who died at the age of one year. Our subject was educated in the public schools of Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barre, Wanamie and Ashley, and at the age of nine years began working about the breaker. This occupation he followed for eight years, and was then successively engaged in braking on the Central Railroad one year, as conductor two years, and firing seven years, and was promoted to his present position in 1878; he built his comfortable home on Ridge street in 1886. Mr. LEASER was married, November 13, 1873, to Jane A., daughter of George and Mable (MORGAN) LAWRENCE, of early New England families. To this union were born six children, viz.: Morris, a brakeman in Ashley; Harry, a painter, also in Ashley; Lawrence P.; Charles; Walter, and Lucy J. This wife died November 17, 1886, and he was married, the second time, on March 29, 1890, to Mrs. Jennie MURPHY, daughter of Michael and Annie (O'BRIEN) BURNS, natives of Ireland, and widow of Michael Murphy, by whom she had two children, Joseph and Annie. Mr. LEASER and wife are members of the Episcopal and Catholic Churches, respectively; he is a member of the B.L.E. and F.&A.M., and is a Republican in his political views
John W. LECKIE, M.D., Hazleton, was born in Baltimore county, Md., December 12, 1835, and is the oldest in a family of four children born to Roland and Mana (MASON) LECKIE, the former, a native of Raleigh, N.C., the latter, of Baltimore, Md. The subject of this sketch was educated in his native county, receiving a very thorough classical training under private tutors. In 1863 he entered the university at Lewistown, where he took a theological course. He was soon after ordained at Lock Haven, and followed the calling of a minister of the Gospel until 1881, when he became interested in medicine, and began a course of study at the Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, where, after taking the regular course, he graduated in 1883. He immediately afterward located at Hazleton, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice. Dr. LECKIE was united in marriage, March 15, 1863, with Miss Ellen S., daughter of Ludwig and Catharine (RAHN) STUDY, natives of Littlestown, Pa., and to this union have been born five children, namely: Ida M., wife of Ira J. MANDEVILLE, of Newark, N.J.; Carrie L.; John W., a student at Hahnemann University, Philadelphia; Mary B.; and Edwin R. S. (deceased). In politics the Doctor votes the Republican ticket; he is a member of the Homoeopathic State Medical Society; the family attend the M. E. Church
Andrew LEE, foreman, Jeansville, was born at Picton, Canada, March 4, 1843, the second in a family of three children born to Robert and Jenette (WEIR) LEE, natives of Scotland. The family removed during 1849 from Canada, locating at Hazleton, where the children were reared and educated. The subject of this sketch began life by working about the mines, and did general work until April 19, 1861, when he enlisted in the United States army, in Company C, Eleventh P.V.I, for three months' service, and when the term of his enlistment expired, Mr. LEE re-enlisted, September 11, in Company D, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Col. Cormon. He served until August 21, 1865, and was in the campaigns of the army of the Potomac, participating in 135 engagements. In March, 1865, Mr. LEE took command of Company D, as lieutenant, and was at the head of his company in the last engagement fought between the North and South. After returning from the war, Mr. LEE devoted his attention toward coal mining, and was employed in a variety of positions about the mines until 1870, when he was appointed machine boss for the Harleigh Coal Company. He held this position for nine years and, in 1879, was made general outside and inside foreman of the works, which position he held until 1882, in which year he went west to accept the position of general superintendent for the New York & Ohio Coal Company of Sherodsville, Ohio. In 1886 he returned east, and became general outside foreman under PARDEE, Bros. & Co., at Lattimer, Pa., remaining there until 1890, when he was appointed general foreman of the stripping gang for J. C. HAYDEN & Co., which position he now holds. Mr. LEE was united in marriage December 19, 1865, with Miss Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Belle (BAIRD) WALLACE, natives of Scotland. To this union have been born seven children, namely: Jeneatte (deceased), Belle, Blanche, Nettie, Howard (deceased), Stella (deceased) and Orio. In political matters Mr. LEE is an untiring Prohibitionist; he is a member of the G.A.R., I.O.O.F. and F.&A.M.; he attends the Presbyterian Church.
Conrad LEE, lumber dealer, and proprietor of the Wyoming Planing Mill, Wilkes-Barre, with residence at No. 142 North Franklin street, was born in Hanover township, Luzerne Co., Pa., November 3, 1842, and is a son of Stephen and Jane (LINES) LEE, natives of Newport township, this county. His maternal grandparents, Conrad and Mary (FAIRCHILD) LINES, and his paternal grandfather, James LEE, were pioneers of Newport and Hanover townships, this county. The parents of our subject were married February 10, 1834, and moved to Delaware county, Ohio, where the father at times worked at his trades of plasterer and brick-layer, while clearing and improving a farm. After a residence in Ohio of six years, he returned to Luzerne county, locating in Wright township. He then erected a sawmill, engaged in lumbering and farming, and resided there twenty-two years, when he removed to Wilkes-Barre and purchased the planing-mill on Canal and North streets. He resided in Wilkes-Barre until his death, which occurred when he was at the age of sixty-two years, June 12, 1874. His widow is still living at her home on North street, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was the father of seven children, of whom five are now living: John R., Conrad, Mary, Priscilla and Amanda. Conrad LINES, the maternal grandfather of subject, was a blacksmith by trade; was born July 26, 1789, and spent all his married life (about fifty-two years) in Newport township, and accumulated a valuable coal tract of over 200 acres. He was the father of six children. The subject of this sketch was reared in Luzerne county, educated at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, and in early manhood taught school several terms. On attaining his majority he visited the west, teaching one term of school at Rome Corners, Delaware Co., Ohio. He then accepted a position as yard foreman for John L. GILL & Co., Columbus, Ohio, in their lumber department, which position he held until the close of the war, after which he returned to Luzerne county, and dealt by way of speculation in Government mules and western cattle, purchasing the latter in the west, and disposing of them in the principal cities of the country. When but twenty-three years of age, he was appointed outside superintendent of the Avondale Mines, which position he held twenty-one years. During that time (September 6, 1869) occurred the great disaster at the mines, by which 108 men lost their lives. In his younger days our subject became thoroughly familiar with the lumber business through assisting his father at the mill in Wright township, and after the latter's death in 1874, he became interested in the Wyoming Planing Mill and lumber business in Wilkes-Barre, which his father had conducted seven years. Since 1886 he has been the sole proprietor, and by his energy, thrift and industry, has built up an extensive business. He was also formerly interested in mercantile business at Avondale, and is now a member of the lumber firm of SCOUTON, LEE & Co., of Parsons, Pa. He is the owner of considerable real estate, in which he deals quite extensively. Mr. LEE was married July 26, 1868, to Agnes, daughter of Martin and Jane (GOVAN) WEIR of Hazleton, formerly of Renfrewshire, Scotland, and the issue of this union is four children: George, Margaret, Jean and William. Mr. Lee is a prominent and well known citizen of Luzerne county, and takes an active interest in all public matters and enterprises tending to the prosperity of the community at large. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Board of Trade; and in politics he is a Republican.
Henry LEES, merchant, Plymouth. This genial gentleman was born at Summer Coats, England, February 14, 1841, and is a son of George and Anna (ASHLEY) LEES, also natives of England. Our subject came to America in 1862, and settled at Plymouth, Pa., where he engaged in mining. This he followed out for a short time, when a desire to see the "Great West" seized him, and he went to Helena, Montana, where he was engaged in mining for five years. He then returned to Plymouth, and established his present store, which contains a full line of gentlemen's clothing, a merchant tailoring department, and a complete line of boots and shoes. The store is a spacious one, being two combined, and is one of the largest establishments in the borough. The subject of this sketch was married January 25, 1872, to Miss Lorinda, daughter of Oliver and Liva (RANSON) DAVENPORT, natives of Wyoming Valley. To this union has been born one child, Rush O. LEES, who is at present attending the Wyoming Seminary. Mr. LEES is a Republican, politically. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church
Lewis LE GRAND, of the firm of L. LE GRAND & Son, carriage manufacturers, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Providence, R.I., January 3, 1818, and is a son of Lewis and Eliza (ANTHONY) LE GRAND, the former of whom was a native of France, the latter of Newport, R.I. Our subject was reared in Providence, R.I., and Cornwall, N.J., receiving a common-school education, and served a five-years apprenticeship at the carriage blacksmith trade in Newark, N.J., afterward worked as a journeyman three years, during one of which he was employed in Wilkes-Barre, where he located in 1840. In 1841 he embarked in business for his own account, carrying on carriage blacksmithing up to 1869, when he engaged in carriage manufacturing, in which he has since successfully continued, being now the pioneer of the business in the city, and enjoying the reputation of dealing in only first-class work. He was married February 16, 1842, to Helen, daughter of Parley LYONS, of Plains, this county, and has the following-named children: Mary (Mrs. Jacob BATT), Luther, and Charles, the latter of whom has been associated in business with his father since 1889. Mr. LE GRAND was among the emergency men in the Civil war, serving in Company F, Forty-first Pennsylvania Militia from June 29 to August 3, 1863, when he was honorably discharged.
Stephen H. LEIBENSBERGER, of the firm LEIBENSBERGER & Sons, wholesale and retail lumber dealers, Hazleton, was born in Maxatawny, Pa., March 19, 1839, and is a son of George and Hettie (MILLER) LEIBENSBERGER, also natives of Pennsylvania. Stephen H. was the fourth in a family of fourteen, was reared and educated in Berks county, and early in life learned the carpenter's trade, which he has always followed. In 1870 he removed to Hazleton, and he continued at his trade until 1890, when he associated with him his sons Oliver and Jonathan. Their business consists of contracting and building, besides dealing in lumber, both wholesale and retail. Our subject was married, in June, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (REINHART) DREIS, natives of Berks county, and ten children have been born to this union, viz.: Oliver, Charles, Jonathan, Mary, Eugene (deceased), Ada, Lillie, Gertie, Jennie W. (deceased), and Harry. Mr. LEIBENSBERGER votes the Republican ticket; he is an adherent of the English Lutheran Church, and is a member of the I.O.O.F., the Sons of America, Shields of Honor, and Knights of Malta.
Oliver LEIBENSBERGER, the second partner of this firm, was born in April, 1861, in Berks county, and early in life learned the carpenter's trade, which he has always followed. He has been twice married, his first wife being Miss Jennie KRINKLE, to whom he was united May 11, 1881, and three children were born to this union, namely: Carrie, Maud, and Artum. This wife died in August, 1885, and was again married on May 26, 1889, this time to Miss Dora, daughter of Peter ENGLEMAN, a native of Schuylkill county. One child, Charles, has blessed this union. Our subject votes the Republican ticket, and is a member of the Knights of Malta.
Jonathan LEIBENSBERGER, the youngest member of this firm, was born in Schuylkill county, September 15, 1864. He was reared in this county, receiving his education in the public schools, and afterward took a course at Price's Business College, Philadelphia. He learned the carpenter's trade, and has followed that occupation since leaving school. He was married, September 13, 1889, to Miss Annie, daughter of Henry Shaffer, of Hazleton, Pa., and one child, Ethel D., has been born to this union. Jonathan LEIBENSBERGER is a member of the Knights of Malta and Sons of America, and in politics votes the Republican ticket
Clarence H. LEIGHOW, foreman of Colliery No. 4, Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, Plymouth division, Plymouth. Among the many important positions about the mines perhaps there is none in which the responsibility is greater than that of the outside foreman, the general management of the work being under their supervision. The subject of this sketch, who occupies such a position, was born at Danville, Montour county, September 14, 1855, and is the eldest in a family of six children born to Charles and Sarah (ERNEST) LEIGHOW, also natives of Pennsylvania. Clarence H. was educated in the public schools of Danville, and after leaving school learned the machinist's trade, at which he worked two and one-half years. He then came to Plymouth and did general outside work at No. 12 Colliery, Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Co., remaining there two years. He then went to Colorado, and was engaged by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, working with the civil engineering corps, where he was employed two years, returning at the end of that period to Wilkes-Barre, where he was given the position of railway conductor, which he followed for three years. He then returned to Plymouth in September, 1889, and was given the position of weigh-master at No. 4, Delaware & Hudson Canal Co., occupying this place until 1890, when he was made outside foreman of this colliery, in which capacity he has since been retained. At this shaft there are one hundred and twenty-five men employed on the outside, and two hundred and seventy-five, including the ninety-seven men, on the inside. They go to a depth of 665 feet, taking out, on an average, 1,000 tons daily. Mr. LEIGHOW was united in marriage, July 6, 1878, with Miss Jennie, daughter of Ziba and Martha (MOYER) VAN LOON, natives of Luzerne county. One child blessed this union, but she was called away when but eighteen months of age. Mr. LEIGHOW is a Democrat in politics. The family attend the Lutheran Church. As a foreman, Mr. LEIGHOW is trustworthy, and merits the confidence of his employers, and as a man he is respected by all.
Albert C. LEISENRING, superintendent for the Upper Lehigh Coal Company, Upper Lehigh, is one of the most successful managers of coal mining in the anthracite region. Every feature of the works, where he has charge, indicates the practical application of the most scientific methods of mining, everything, from the breaker to the mules, being kept in first-class condition. Mr. LEISENRING was born near Summit Hill August 9, 1855. He is a brother of Walter LEISENRING of Sandy Run. He received his education at Nasereth Hall, the celebrated Moravian school at Bethlehem, the Montrose high school, Montrose, Pa., and Swarthmore College. At the latter place he took the courses in mining and civil engineering. He then entered the employ of the Upper Lehigh Coal Company, as mining engineer, holding this position until 1883, in which year he was appointed to his present situation. In 1883 Mr. LEISENRING was married to Miss Lillian, daughter of Judge W. H. JESSUP, of Montrose, Susquehanna county. They have three children: Mary, Louise and Jessup. Mr. LEISENRING is a prominent member of the F.&A.M., and in politics is a Republican. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
George D. LEISENRING, business manager of the Pittston Gazette, Pittston, was born in Lehigh County, Pa., November 26, 1851, and is a son of William and Clarissa (SHISLER) LEISENRING, natives of Lehigh county and of German origin. The father was a tanner by trade, but is now retired from active business; they are both living, and reside in Lehigh county. They had a family of four children, viz.: Lavinia (the wife of Will S. RODCARMEL, yard-master for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company at Allentown, Pa.,), George D., Peter G. (deceased), and Tillie (deceased). Our subject passed his boyhood in Allentown, and had the advantages of a limited common-school education. When eleven years old he entered the office of the Allentown Friedensbote;, a German newspaper, and began to learn the printer's trade. He worked on that journal for about four years, and then, as a journeyman printer, in different places in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey; then returned to Allentown, and was again engaged on the paper where he had learned his trade; from there he proceeded to Mauch Chunk, Pa., and thence, in the fall of 1869, to Pittston, where he assisted in establishing the Wyoming Valley Journal, on which he worked two years, and then in different places in Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and Indiana. Returning to Pittston, he was here united in marriage, May 22, 1873, with Mary H., daughter of Henry STEVENS, a retired mechanic of Pittston. Once more moving to Allentown, he was there for a few years more engaged on the paper where he had learned his trade; he also assisted in establishing the Evening Telegram in that city. After remaining there a few years he removed to Atchison, Kan., and was engaged on the Atchison Champion; then returned to Allentown, where he edited the Daily Critic.. In 1885 he returned to Pittston, and was foreman of the Gazette job rooms until the spring of 1891, when he was made business manager of the Gazette, which position he now occupies. Mr. LEISENRING has had a family of nine children, viz: Gertie May (deceased), Nettie E., Cora B., Florence J., George S., Clara M., William A., Mary A. and Theodore H. Our subject and wife are members of the Luzerne Avenue Baptist Church. He is a strong and earnest worker in the church, and fills the position of official secretary. He is also a member of the Y.M.C.A. at Pittston. Politically he is a stanch Republican. Mr. LEISENRING is prominent in all the enterprises that lead to the advancement of his adopted city, and has by his integrity and social qualities gathered around him a host of friends.Back to Bios Index
Back to Luzerne County Genweb
These Bios were typed by the Wonderful people on PA-LUZERNE
1997-Present by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual
Back To Luzerne Genweb