EA - EN Surnames
History of Luzerne County, Pa.,
by H.C. Bradsby, 1893
Robert M. EARNHART, undertaker, and furniture dealer, White haven, was born in Port carbon, Schuylkill, Co., Pa., June 15, 1852, a son of George and Lavina (Miltonburger) Earnhart, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and German origin, respectively, the former of whom was a cabinet maker by trade. He reared a family of five children, three of whom are now living, Robert M. being the second in order of birth. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one began work as a cabinet maker and carpenter, which trades he followed until the spring of 1886, when he purchased from Aaron Eddinger his present business, which he has since followed. He was married, January 30, 1876, to Miss Louise Feil, who was born February 15, 1858, the eldest daughter of John and Christiana (Drumm) Feil, natives of Germany. This union was blessed with ten children, viz.: Catharine, and Louisa (twins), both deceased in infancy; Clara M., born August 30, 1877; John F., born March 28, 1879; Jennie L., born September 25, 1881, Mary E., born September 21, 1883, died -----; Eva A. Born September 21, 1885; Christiana F. born February 16, 1886, died ---; Allen L., born March 13, 1888, and Clarence M., born July 1, 1889. The family attend the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Earnhart is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Royal Arcanum. He is a Democrat, and was a member of the town council from 1889, to 1892.
John EATON, farmer, P.O. Orange, was born in Franklin Township, August 28, 1837. He is the son of Robert and Mary (Winters) Eaton, the former born in 1796, in County Antrim, Ireland, and the latter in Orange County, N.Y. Robert removed to this country in 1820, locating in Franklin Township, where he bought a farm of fifty acres of uncultivated land on which he built a house, and to which he continued to add until he owned a hundred acres of well-improved land. Robert was a man of intelligence and enterprise, who had considerable influence with his fellow citizens. In 1847-50, he held the office of county commissioner, and at various times held several township offices with great credit. He reared a family of six children, three of whom are now living, two sons and one daughter. John is the fifth of the family and was reared and educated in Franklin Township, where he has always resided, and has always contained himself to farming. He occupies the same farm on which his father settled, and which now comprises 140 acres. Mr. Eaton is a prosperous and industrious man and keeps abreast of the times. He is a general farmer, not confining himself to any special line. He has held several township offices, having served as supervisor three times, and school director for fifteen years, as well as in other minor offices. He is a member of the Grange. On July 4, 1864, Mr. Eaton married Miss Hannah, daughter of Jacob and Mary Nulton, by whom he had seven children, six of whom are now living: Robert, Maggie, Elizabeth, Jennie, Benjamin and Emma. Mrs. Eaton was born in Kingston Township, August 9, 1844.
Charles C. EBERLY, furniture dealer, Plymouth, was born February 22, 1861, and is a son of Jacob and Mary A. (Cooke) Eberly, natives of Pennsylvania. This self-made young man was educated at the public schools in Northumberland County, and after receiving his early training, he learned the bricklayer’s trade, which he has followed for seven years. At the end of that time, he engaged in the furniture business at Catawissa, Pa., where he remained for about three years, going from there to Wilkes-Barre, where he remained until he established his present business, at No. 38 West main Street, Plymouth, which is one of the leading industries of the borough. Mr. Eberly was married December 22, 1887, to Mary M., daughter of Davin and Matilda (Reicholderfer) Hollingsheas, natives of Catawissa, Pa. One child, Alena Florence, was born to this union, November 23, 1889. In politics, Mr. Eberly is a Democrat, and in religious belief a Methodist.
A.M. EBY, cashier of the Hazleton National Bank, was born at Selin’s Grove, Pa., May 23, 1843. After receiving a common school education in his native town, he was apprenticed in May, 1859, to Barrett & MacDowell, publishers at Harrisburg, Pa., where he learned the printer’s trade, working at it until 1862, in which year he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh Regiment, P.V., serving with distinction until June, 1865. He participated in the following battles: Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and Ringgold, besides other minor engagements. After returning from the war, Mr. Eby taught school until 1866, when he secured a position as transportation clerk for the Hazleton Railroad Company. In this position he remained until 1868, when he was employed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company as station agent at Hazleton, Pa., which incumbency he filed until1873, when he engaged with Pardee, Markie & Grier, as bookkeeper and cashier. By this firm he was employed until 1882, when he accepted the position of general bookkeeper with A. Pardee & Co., remaining as such until June 4, 1891, when he was called upon to accept the position of cashier of the Hazleton national Bank. Mr. Eby was united in marriage, July 14, 1868, with Martha E., youngest daughter of Lewis and Mary (Jacobs) Davenport, the former of whom was a native of New Jersey, the latter, of the historic Wyoming Valley. The Davenports were among the first families who settled in Hazleton, coming here in the year 1833, when there were but two houses in what is now the city. Mr. Eby’s father-in-law built and kept the first hotel in the place, then a stage stand on the turnpike, and erected the present "Hazleton House" the well known hotel on the corner of Broad and Wyoming streets. It is supposed that the eldest sister of Mrs. Eby, Emma Davenport was the first child born to what is now Hazleton. There were four girls in the Davenport family, namely: Elvira E. (Mrs. Lewis W. Drake); Mary M.; Emma J. (Mrs. C.B. Brundage), and Martha E. To Mr. and Mrs. Eby have been born two children, namely: Fannie B. and Charles S. Mr. Eby is a member of the Union Veteran Legion; is a F. & A.M., member of Hazleton Lodge No. 327, Lilly Chapter, Packer Commandery, and McNair Council, of Mauch Chunk.
George W. EBY, proprietor of the "Aman House," Hazleton, was born in Janiata County, June 23, 1864, and is the fourth in a family of nine children of John W. Eby and Mary J. (Row), natives of Pennsylvania. The family removed to Schuylkill County when George W. was eleven years of age, and he at once began working about the mines, which occupation he followed until eighteen years of age, when he took charge of the stage line running from Lykens to Tower City. He drove this route for about one and a half years, at the end of which time he was engaged by G.B. Brubaker, hardware dealer of Lykens, Pa., as a bookkeeper, an incumbency he filled eighteen months, when he secured a position as traveling salesman for M.J.A. Keen, wholesale brush dealer. He represented this concern for four years, and then became manger for this State, of the Auburn, N.Y., Copying House. With this firm he remained two years, and on January 28, 1891, he became proprietor of the "Amam House," which he has since conducted with great success. In political matters, Mr. Eby is independent. Socially, he is a member of Lykens Lodge No. 106, Knights of Pythias, and of Wisconsisco Lodge, No. 148, and Sons of America.
Jerome W. ECKENRODE, contractor and builder, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Carroll County, Md., February 1, 1843, a son of Samuel W. and Margaret (Althoff) Eckenrode, and is of German descent. His paternal grandparents were Jacob W. and Mary (Weivell) Ecckenrode, and his maternal grandfather was John Althoff. Our subject was reared in Frederick County, Md., from seven years of age, received a common school education, learned the carpenter’s trade with his father, and worked as a journeyman in Frederick County ten years. In 1870 he located in Wilkes-Barre, where he worked as a journeyman until 1876, in which he embarked in business for himself, as a contractor and builder, in which he has since successfully continued. On October 29, 1872, he married Jane L., daughter of Charles and Mary (Straughabaugh) Wierick, of Frederick County, Md., and they have five children living, viz.: Edith, Lawrence, George, Charles, and Alice. Me. Eckenrode and family are members of the German Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
Rev. John G. ECKMAN, Methodist Episcopal minister, Kingston, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., and is a son of Jacob and Emma (Gulick) Eckman, natives of New jersey, and descendants of original New England stock. Our subject was educated in the common school of his native county, afterward at the Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, N.Y., and in 1859, began the ministry at Stoddartsville, Luzerne County, Pa., remaining two years; then removed to Lehman, where he also resided two years, and from there proceeded in North Moreland on year; Wilkes-Barre, three years, Waverly, three years; Ashley, one year-all in Pennsylvania; then went to Norwich, N.Y., and was presiding elder in the Chennango district four years; thence proceeded to Scranton, Pa., where he was pastor of the M.E. Church three years, after which he went to Binghanton, N.Y., in which district he was presiding elder four years. At West Pittston, he engaged in the ministry three years, and in 1887, he removed to Kingston, where he has since resided, engaged in his calling. Mr. Eckman was married, September 25, 1856, to Miss Margaret, daughter of George Hile, of Northumberland County, Pa., and they have four children, viz.: George P.; a minister at Orange, NJ; P.N., a physician in Philadelphia; S.W., a clerk in Binghamton, N.Y. and Horace M., at home. Mr., Eckman represented his Conference was a delegate to the General Conference of the M.E. Church in 1876, 1880, 1884, and 1888. He has devoted his life exclusively to the advancement of Christianity, and is a strong advocate and supporter of the doctrine of Prohibition.
W. H. ECKROTH, clerk at the "Union House," Shickshinny, was born at Mifflinville, Columbia County, Pa., February 27, 1834, a son of Peter and Lydia (Ritchie) Eckroth. He was reared in his native State and St. Joseph County, Michigan, remaining in the latter State from 1854 to 1874. Lastly he spent two years in Illinois. In 1876 he returned to Columbia County, Pa., where he was engaged in farming until 1885, in which year he came to Shickshinny, where he has since resided, and has been clerk of the "Union House" since 1892. Mr. Eckroth was married twice, his first wife being Anna Pullen. His second wife is Rose, daughter of Thomas and Diana (Good) Davenport, of Shickshinny.
George W. EDDINGER, carpenter for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, at Sugar Notch with residence on Ridge Street, Ashley, was born in Northampton, County, Pa., January 7, 1836. He is a son of William and Elizabeth (Mildenberger) Eddinger, natives of Pennsylvania and of German extraction. His father, who was a lumberman, is now carrying mail in Luzerne borough at the age of eighty-four years; his mother died in 1872, at the age of fifty-nine years. The family consisted of ten children of ten children, viz.: George W.; Samuel, a millwright at Allentown, Pa.: Sarah L. (Mrs. Edwin Mills); William, who was killed at Antietam, September 17, 1862, at the age of nineteen years, while a member of Company N. twenty-eighth P.V.I.; John N. carpenter of the Central Railroad Company at Ashley; Susan (Mrs. Charles Bennett), who died at the age of thirty-two, leaving a husband and four children; Mary (Mrs. Hiram Hawk), of Freeland, Pa.; Aaron, a real estate agent in Riverside, Cal.; Rachel J. (Mrs. John Nice, of Philadelphia), and Rebecca (Mrs. Charles A. Johnson, of Freeland, Pa.) After leaving Allentown the family removed to White Haven, where they lived for thirty-eight years. George W. attended the public school at that place, and then engaged in lumbering, which he followed for six years; then boated on the Lehigh Canal for two years, and afterward worked as a millwright and lumberman four years. He enlisted at Hazleton on June 12, 1861, in Company A, Twenty-eighth P.V.I., and re-enlisted at Wauhatchie, Tenn, December 20, 1863; he received a gunshot wound at Chancellorsville, and was discharged July 18, 1865, near Alexandria, Va., with the rank of sergeant. He then began his present trade, which he has since followed, except for one year, that he leased a mill at White Haven; he has occupied his present residence sine 1877. Mr. Eddinger was married February 17, 1866, to Miss Amelia, daughter of Hiram and Finna (Curtiz) Beers, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. They have one child, Charles H., clerk in Miller & co.’s store, Wilkes-Barre. Our subject and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church; he is a member of the K. of H, P.O.S. of A. and the G.A.R., he is a Republican in politics, and has held the office of school director in Hanover Township.
John N. EDDINGER, carpenter, Hanover Township, was born near Sciota, Monroe Co., Pa., March 27, 1843, a son of William and Elizabeth (Mildenberger) Eddinger, [See sketch of G.W. Eddinger.] He was educated in the public schools at White Haven and then worked three years in the sawmills at that place, after which he boated on the Lehigh Canal from there to New York for seven years. On September 24, 1862, he enlisted at Allentown in Company C. Fifty-fourth P.V.I., and was the only one out of eighty who was discharged with the regiment at Parole Camp, near Annapolis, May 30, 1865, twenty-nine of their number having been killed at New Market, the first battle in which they took part. He was slightly wounded in the ear by a piece of shell at Lynchburg, also receiving a scalp wound at Cedar Creek, and was shot through the clothes and cartridge box. April 5, 1865, he was taken prisoner at High Bridge, and held by the enemy till the surrender of the Southern army. After the close of the war, Mr. Eddinger returned to White haven, where he engaged in rafting logs for eighteen years, three years of the time as contractor, in September, 1889, removing to Ashley, where he has since worked in the carshop. Mr. Eddinger, was married, July 4, 1866, to Miss Mary, daughter of Dr. Francis and Matilda Brotz, of Monroeton, Bradford Co., Pa. They have had three children, two of whom are living: William N., a brakeman on the Central Railroad of New Jersey, (he is married to Miss Mary Devitt, of Solomon Gap.), and Edwin J., a tinner by trade, working in the carshop with his father. Our subject is a member of the G.A.R., P.O.S. of A., and R.R.T.A., and is a Republican in his politics.
C.R. EDER, proprietor of restaurant, Nanticoke, was born March17, 1862, at Buckhorn, Columbia Co., Pa., and is a son of James W. and Helena (Bomboy) Eder, also natives of Columbia County. Our subject is the second in a family of four children, and is the only son. He was educated and reared in his native county, and in 1880 came to Nanticoke, where he was employed as a clerk by Hildreth & Co., remaining with them two years. He then opened what is known as the "Star Pool and Billiard Rooms," which he carried on for five years. In February 1888, Mr. Eder opened the "Broadway House," and conducted it one and one half years. He then went on the road as a commercial drummer for the House Supply Company, of Wilkes-Barre, representing this company for about one year, after which he opened up his present business, which he successfully conducted since. Mr. Eder was married, April 7, 1886, to Miss Gertrude, daughter of George P. and Ann (Broliest) Varner, natives of Luzerne County, and this union has been blessed with one child, Roy V., born September 6, 1888. Mr. Eder is a Democrat. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., O.U.A.M., Knights of the Golden Eagle, and the Sovereign Patriotic Knights. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church.
James EDGAR, a retired veteran of the Civil war, now residing at Freeland, was born at Summit Hill, Carbon Co., Pa., August 16, 1840, a son of James and Bessie (Martin) Edgar, natives of Ireland. The former died March 17, 1848, the latter October 26, 1862. In their family there were five children, two of whom were older than James. Our subject was reared and educated at Summit Hill, and when a boy began working around the mines, picking slate, but at the age of nineteen he was running an engine. When the Civil war broke out, he was working in the shops at Mauch Chunk and on August 6, 1862, he enlisted in Company G. Eighty-first P.V>, participating in the following engagements: Antintam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, besides several other minor skirmishes. He received a very severe gunshot wound in the jaw at Gettysburg, which disabled him for military service thereafter. He was taken to Philadelphia Hospital and placed under the care of James G. Eagleson, who gave him the very best treatment, which alone saved his life. At the close of the war, he returned to Mauch Chunk, entering the machine shop, and was there but a short time when he was sent to Lansford, as foreman of the machine shop at that place. Here he remained five years, and then came to Drifton, where he worked four years, at the end of which time, he removed to Freeland and retired. Mr. Edgar was married August 9, 1862, to Miss Harriet Dodson, of Mauch Chunk, and they have had five children, viz.: William, a molder at Reading; James (deceased); Walter, a molder at Drifton; Abel, an operator in Jersey City, and Margaret Elizabeth (deceased). Mr. Edgar is a stanch Republican.
Henry L. EDSALL, general merchant, Duryea, was born in Cambra, Luzerne Co., Pa., November 18, 1858, and is a son of Lewis and Anna (Best) Edsall, natives of Bradford County, Pa., and of New England and German origin, respectively. Our subject received his education in the common schools, and accepted a position as clerk in a store in Moosic, Lackawanna County, though he afterward engaged in farming, but two years later returned to Moosic, where he commenced business for himself. In 1885, he came to Duryea and opened the store where he is now located, in which he has done so prosperous a business as to necessitate the enlargement of his building twice in seven years. Mr. Edsall was united in marriage, September 26, 1883, with Alice, daughter of Eben and Martha (Blanchard) Foote, natives, respectively, of New York and Port Blanchard, this county. Their union has been blessed with the following issue: Muzette, born June 13, 1885, and Rena, born August 24, 1891. Our subject is a member of the Marcy Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee and a member of the official board. In politics he is a Prohibitionist, and is a member of the K. of P.
George K. EDSON, manufacturers agent for agricultural implements, and machinery for Luzerne and Columbia Counties, P.O. Town Hill, was born in Huntington Township, Luzerne Co., Pa., August 24, 1845, a son of Eliphatet and Elizabeth (Kramer) Edson, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania, respectively. The former settled in Huntington Township about 1830; he was a bridge builder and a millwright, erected several gristmills in Columbia and Luzerne Counties and the bridges at Catawissa and Barwick; he died in Huntington Township in 1866. Mr. Edson was twice married, his first wife being Ann Millard; his second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of William Kramer of Columbia County, Pa., by whom he had several children: Charles C., George K., John H., Eliphalet A., Marcus L., Arva J., and Elisha B. Our subject was reared in Huntington Township, educated in the common schools, and on August 12, 1862, enlisted in Company F., One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Bucktail Volunteers; he was wounded at Culpepper, Va, January 12, 1864, and at North Anna River, May 23, same year, he was honorably discharged from the service June 27, 1865, since the war he was engaged in farming and lumbering until 1892, when he embarked in his present business. Mr. Edson was married, October 30, 1866, to Mary E., daughter of Jesse and Phoebe (Tubbs) Harrison, of Huntington Township, and has one son, Jesse. Mr. Edson is a member of the I.O.O.F., G.A.R. and patrons of Industry; in politics he is a liberal republican; he is not governed by party prejudices, however, always voting for the best man.
George A. EDWARDS, manufacturer, and proprietor of the Eagle Iron Works, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Cardiff, South Wales, in July 1849, and is a son of John and Mary (Anthony) Edwards. He was reared in his native country, educated in the common schools and at the age of eleven began life as an errand boy in a railroad office; he later learned telegraphy, which he followed several years; and was then a shipper, eleven years. In 1881, he came to America, and settled in Wilkes-Barre, where he founded the business in which he is now engaged—the manufacture of wrought iron fences, etc. In July 1882, Mr. Edwards married Sarah, daughter of John and Jane (Anthony) Anthony, of Wilkes-Barre, and has two children living: Arthur Gladstone and Stanley Gordon. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Baptist Church and the Y.M.C.A., also of the F. & A.M. and the Cambro American Society of Wilkes-Barre, of which he is one of the founders; in politics he is independent.
James N. EDWARDS, retired, P.O. Sweet Valley, was born in Ross Township, September 25, 1849, where he was reared and educated. He is the third son of Samuel and Harriet N. (Callender) Edwards, the former of whom was born in Monmouth County, N.J., February 14, 1814. Samuel Edwards is a son of James and Mary (Shonk) Edwards, the former born in Wales, the latter in Germany. When a young man James Edwards emigrated to this country and he married while at Long Branch, where he owned some property, now very valuable. He resided in Monmouth County till 1824, and during his residence there was engaged in coasting for several years. In the year just mentioned, he removed to Dallas, this county, with his family of six children, and afterward came to Ross Township, where he purchased 100 acres of land, forty of which he improved during his lifetime. He was a chair maker by occupation, a conscientious Christian, a member of the M.E. Church, and a man of sound judgement and pure morals. There was one child born to him in this county, making seven in all, and two of them are now living. Samuel is the fourth in the family, was ten years of age when he came to this county, since which time he as been a resident of it. He has always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. He was the first postmaster at Sweet Valley; has also held offices of township and school board treasurer; also treasurer of the Christian Church, in which he was trustee and deacon for many years. He was married twice, and his family numbers seven children, all by his first wife, who died March 6, 1866.
John P. EDWARDS, farmer, P.O. Carverton, was born in Salem Township, January 23, 1833, a son of Thomas and Jane (Pollock) Edwards. The former was born in Columbia County, the latter in Montour County. Thomas Edwards was a farmer by occupation and removed to this county about 1827. He first located near Beach Haven on a farm of 100 acres, where he remained eighteen years. He then removed to Andrew Courtright’s property, where he remained about eight years. He then in 1853, removed to Salem Township, where he bought the property now occupied by his son, Samuel. The farm comprises of 136 acres, thirty of which were cleared when he purchased it, and fifty of which he cleared afterward, also adding other improvements. In his younger days, he was captain of a militia company, and during his residence in this county, held several township offices. He was much respected for his worth, and was a man whose influence was sought by both political parties. He died in 1866 at the age of sixty-three years. John P., the third of the seven children, five of whom are now (1892) living. John P., third of the family, was reared and educated in Salem, and always followed farming as his chosen vocation. He lived at his home with his father till he reached the age of twenty-five. On January 12, 1860, he was married to Miss Margaret, daughter of Jonas and Lydia Rebert. By this union two children were born, one of whom is living, Lydia. John P. resided in Salem Township two years after his marriage, when he removed to Kingston Township. He resided in the Valley two years; in 1863, during his residence there, he was burnt out. He then removed to Exeter Township, where he remained three years, thence removing to the Dilly farm, where he remained ten years. He next removed to the Honeywell farm, on which he lived seven years. From there he removed to the Camp Ground farm, where he stayed two years, and in 1888, purchased his farm (comprising fifty acres) at Carverton, of H. Mulford. Mr. Edwards is a practical farmer, and is a hard working, honest and worthy citizen. He is a member of the P. of H., and in politics is a Democrat.
Lewis EDWARDS, M.D., physician and surgeon, Edwardsville, was born in Wales, and is a son of T.L. and Margaret (Jenkins) Edwards, also native of Wales. When Lewis was yet a mere child his parents came to America and located at Plymouth, where they now reside. In his father’s family there was one child besides the subject of this sketch- Mary J. Mr. Edwards learned the machinist’s trade when he was comparatively young and worked at it for a short time. He was educated at the Wyoming Seminary, and the Jefferson Medical College, where he was graduated in the class of 1891, and immediately began the practice of his profession at Edwardsville, where he has met with splendid success, having an extensive and increasing practice. He is a member of the Luzerne County medical Society.
Robert E. EDWARDS, decorative painter, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., July 23, 1861, a son of Davis and Elizabeth (Smith) Edwards, and is of Welsh extraction. He was reared in his native city, educated in the public schools, and served as an apprenticeship of five years at decorative painting and paper hanging. On September 19, 1881, he married Mary, daughter of John and Mary Cochran, of Pottsville, Pa., and has one son, William. Mr. Edwards is a member of the I.O.R.M., K. of M.C., P.O.S. of A. and A.M. Politically he is a Republican. He has been located in Wilkes-Barre since 1882.
S.A. EDWARDS, farmer, P.O. Meeker, was born in Ross Township, December 13, 1852, where he was reared and educated. He is the son of Stephen A. and Dorinda C. (Durland) Edwards, both of whom were born in Dallas Township. Stephen A. was a son of Stephen, who was a native of New Jersey, and removed to Dallas Township in the early history of the county. His life was uneventful. He was an honest and industrious, and lived to a good old age. He reared a family of eight children. His son, Stephen A., began life as a farmer in Ross Township on a farm of fifty acres of unimproved land, all of which he cleared and cultivated during his lifetime. He sold his place in Ross Township and removed to Lehman, where he resided for five years. He then went to Virginia and bought a farm, but soon after sold it. In 1872, he removed to Luzerne borough, where he is now engaged in the trucking business on a small lot. His family consists of seven children, all of whom are living. S.A. is the third of the family in order of birth, and has always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. In 1872, he married Miss Florence, daughter of David and Sarah Gordon, by her he had eight children, six of whom are living (1892): Harry E., David A., Florence G., Myrtle F., Stephen L. and Sherman D. Mrs. Florence (Gordon) Edwards was born in Lehman, June 7, 1855. They moved on their present place in 1879. Mr. Edwards is a practical farmer, who, in agricultural pursuits, will make his mark in life. His farm consists of ninety-one acres, which was unimproved when he moved on it. Now it is an attractive place, with beautiful house and out buildings with fields and fences complete, all the result of his own energy and patience. Mr. Edwards is a very unassuming man, but one of good principles and upright character. Politically, he is a republican.
Thomas EDWARDS, miner, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Swansen, South Wales, September 1, 1897, and is a son of Thomas and Ann (Griffiths) Edwards. He was reared in Wales, where he received a limited education, and at home was known as "Black Boy" Edwards. His early life was spent on the farm, and for five years he was employed as groom in the noted Vivian family of Skeity, Wales. In 1866 he came America and settled in Wilkes-Barre, where he has since resided, engaged in mining and by industry and frugality has secured a comfortable home and competency. He was twice married; first time, January 14, 1861, to Emma, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Banwell) Lock, of Blackwell, near Bristol, England, by whom he had children as follows: Elizabeth (Mrs. Evan Harris), Henry, John, Benjamin, William and Rachel A. His second wife was Catherine (Williams) Davis, who is a member of the Welsh Baptist Church. Mr. Edwards has served, as assessor of Wilkes-Barre Township three terms and in politics is a stanch Republican.
Thomas A. EDWARDS, postmaster at Edwardsville, was born in Brynmawr, South Wales, December 25, 1845, and is a son of Rev. Charles W. and Sarah (Allcock) Edwards, natives of Wales and of English descent. At the age of nine years he came to America with his parents who settled at Pottsville, Pa., where they remained three years and then went to Scranton, where our subject was educated. On August 29, 1861, when he was not much over fifteen years of age, he enlisted in Company I., Fifty-second P.V. under Capt. Smith. He participated in the following engagements, etc.: Loe’s Mills, Williamsburg, Chickahominy, reconnaissance to Seven Pines, Seven Pines or Fair Oaks, Railroad and Bottom Bridge, White Oak Swamp Bridge, Carter’s Hill, Matthews County, Gloucester, Yorktown, Port Royal, Beaufort, siege of Charleston, capture of Fort Wagner, expedition on the Santee River and Sherman’s Carolina campaign. He was mustered out July 12, 1865, at Salisbury, N.C., having during his term of service served under Gens. McCellan, Foster, Gilmore, Ferry and lastly, the world-renowned Sherman, having a record of nearly five years of war service by land and by sea—a record of which he and his posterity may well be proud. After the war, he returned to Scranton, and engaged in railroading on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad; in a short time he was promoted to locomotive engineer on the Bloomsburg division of that road, and so remained about a year; then engaged at stationary engineering at Plymouth, where he has remained about eight years, and then returned to railroading, this time for the Central Railroad of New Jersey. On that road he fired for a time but was soon promoted to engineer, continuing as such, however, only one year. He then came to Edwardsville and ran a narrow gauge engine for the Kingston Coal Company about five years, at the end of which time he embarked in mercantile business, at which he still carries on. On June 6, 1891, he was commissioned postmaster at his place. Mr. Edwards was married November 8, 1868, to Elizabeth E. Titus, of Plymouth, and they have three children, viz.: Margaret, (married to John J. Jenkins, of Edwardsville), Cora (deceased) and Sarah. Our subject is a member of the G.A.R. and in politics is a Republican.
William D. EDWARDS, engineer at the Parrish Slope, Plymouth, was born in Wales, April 3, 1864 and is the fourth in the family of fourteen children of David and Elizabeth (Davis) Edwards, also natives of Wales. The family came to America in 1869, locating at Danville, Pa., where the children were reared and educated. Our subject began life working about the mines and did a variety of work at the Danville Iron Ore Mines, working as a miner for about two years of the time until 1883, when he came to Plymouth and was employed as fireman at the Gaylord for about one and a half years, doing company work after that for a year, when he was promoted to hoisting engineer, which position he occupied one year. He then went to the Parrish Mines, and was employed as pump-runner for one and a half years, when he was promoted to his present position. William was married, November 1, 1888, to Mary A., daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Davis) Price, native of Wales. Two children, Adam and Thomas, both now deceased where born to this union. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and in political affairs reserves the right to support the best man. The family attend the Pilgrim Church.
William J. EDWARDS, foreman of the Gaylord Shaft, Plymouth, was born in Glamorganshire, South Wales, February 16, 1859, and is the son of John and Cecilia (Martin) Edwards, also natives of South Wales. The family came to America in 1871, and located in Danville, Pa., where the subject of this sketch received his early education in the public schools. He learned stationary engineering after leaving school, and for seventeen years has been engaged in handling the levers of those ponderous machines which not only require skill as a machinist, but demand constant alertness, as a false move might endanger many lives. In 1866, Mr. Edwards was appointed to the position of foreman at the Gaylord Shaft, where he has been employed ever since. This shaft is about 600 feet deep and yields an average of about 1,000 tons daily. There are 225 men employed, those working inside being under the immediate charge of George Pieton, inside foreman. In December, 1880, Mr. Edwards was married to Anna, daughter of George and Sarah Trimble, natives of Pennsylvania, and two children have been born to this union, viz.: Mary born June 4, 1881, and John, born October 26, 1884. In politics, Mr. Edwards is a Republican. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
P.J. EGAN, merchant, Plains, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, July 3, 1857, and is a son of Michael and Winneford (Durkin) Egan. In his father’s family there were thirteen children, eight of whom are living, and out subject is the fifth. The family came to America in 1858, locating at Hawley, Pa., later at Pittston, this county, and subsequently at Plains, where the father died in 1881 at the age of fifty-four years. Our subject and a brother and a sister came to America in 1869 and joined the family at Plains. He began working in the mines tending door, and did all the various kinds of work about the mines during a period of seventeen years, including two years’ mining. In 1886 he embarked in mercantile and saloon business at Port Bowkley, where he remained three years, and in 1889 he built and removed to his present place of business at Midvale. Mr. Egan was married, September 8, 1887, to Miss Margaret J., daughter of Patrick and Margaret (Gaghagan) O’Donnell, natives of County Mayo, Ireland, and they have two children, Michael and William. Our subject and family are members of the Catholic Church, and in his political views, he is a Democrat.
Edmund EGGE, painter and paperhanger, Plains, was born in Plains Township, June 5, 1859, and is a son of Parimus and Lydia (Moyer) Egge, natives of Allentown, Pa., and of German origin. Their family consisted of twelve children, of whom seven are living, and Edmund is the youngest. Our subject was educated in the common schools, and remained at home with his parents until their death. When but a boy he showed a fondness for mechanics and was engaged in a considerable extent in repairing furniture and the like. He then worked two years at the carpenter’s trade, and has since been engaged in painting; he is also sole owner and proprietor of a job-painting establishment. Mr. Egge was married March 26, 1890, to Miss Nora, daughter of Winthrop Oplinger, of Plains, and they have one child, Edith. Mr. and Mrs. Egge are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the P.O.S. of A., and in his political views is decidedly Democratic.
Jacob EGGE, Plains, was born in Allentown, Pa., February 21, 1842, and is a son of Perimus and Lydia (Moyer) Egge, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. In their family there were twelve children, seven whom are living, and of them Jacob is the third. Our subject came to Plains with his father at the age of thirteen and worked on a farm for seven years; then drove bus in Wilkes-Barre two years, and has since given his attention chiefly to his trade. Mr. Egge was married, September 26, 1863, to Mary E., daughter of Cornelius Masten, of Plains. Our subject is a member of the P.O.S. of A. and in politics is a Democrat.
J. R. EHRET, retired, Pittston, was born in that town December 30, 1840, a son of A. H. and Sarah (STROH) EHRET, both of German descent and natives of Monroe county, Pa. They had five children, four of whom are living, viz.: J. R., Ashley, Deila and Pierce. The father, who for years was a hotel-keeper in Pittston, died in 1888, aged fifty six years. The subject of this memoir was reared in Pittston, where he received his primary education, which was supplemented with a course at the Commercial College of Kingston, from which he graduated in 1866. In December, 1863, he enlisted in the First New Jersey Cavalry, Company G, and served until July 28, 1864; he participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, in the raid to Richmond, in the engagement at Ream's Station, and at Boston's Bridge, where he was wounded by a piece of shell, which resulted in the loss of his leg below the knee. He was discharged from David's Island Hospital on account of disability, October 10, 1864. After returning home he was station agent for a time for the Central Railroad of New Jersey at Moosic, Pa.; then was elected clerk of courts for Luzerne county, serving in that capacity three years; then for four years was proprietor of the "Eagle Hotel," since when he has been correspondent from Pittston for the Scranton Tribune. Mr. EHRET was united in marriage December 16. 1881, with Cora COOK, a daughter of Mrs. Julia COOK, of Pittston. In politics he is a stanch and active Republican; socially he is a member of Nugent Post No. 215, G. A. R., and past post commander of the same. Mr. EHRET has always had his home in Pittston and neighboring towns, and has a large host of friends who justly esteem him for his many social qualities.
G. F. EICKE, carpenter, Plains, was born in Wilkes-Barre, January 3, 1852, and is a son of Sydney (a merchant) and Catherine (McGINNESS) EICKE, natives of Luzerne county and New York, and of New England and Irish origin, respectively. They reared a family of seven children, of whom George F. is the fourth. Our subject, when a boy, assisted his father in the store, attending, at the same time, the common schools, and at the age of twenty he was engaged as shipping clerk in the office of J. H. SWOYER, where he remained eleven years. He then learned the carpenter's trade, which he has since followed. Mr. EICKE was married, June 20, 1877, to Miss Emma, daughter of John and Caroline (OSBORNE) FLOYD, natives of England and they have four children, viz.: John S., Lotta R., Matilda and Ann. Mr. and Mrs. EICKE are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is steward; he is a member of the P. O. S. of A., and, in his political views, he is strictly an independent voter.
Christopher EIPPER, farmer, Dallas, was born in Germany, on the Rhine, April 5, 1814, son of John and Catharine (BRUNK) EIPPER, both of whom were natives of that country. Christopher came to this country August 8, 1840, landing in New York. In his native country he learned the wheelwright trade, at which he worked forty years. He spent several years of his life in Wyoming, and is perfectly familiar with all the historic scenes in that part of the Valley. On September 22, 1843, he married Miss Lucinda, daughter of Frederick ATHERHOLT, by whom he has had ten children, all of whom grew to maturity, and nine of whom are now living. The following is a brief record of the sons: Fred is out in some of the western States taking care and charge of the famous trotting house, "Extel", F.B. is a farmer, who, in conjunction with his brother W.R., is working the homestead (the father having retired); H. F. is captain of a ferry boat in New York; Charles L. is a painter, and works for the D. L. & W. R. R. Co.; A. T. is a bookkeeper in the D. L. & W. Car Shops; A. J. is a blacksmith and shoeing foreman for the Empire Coal Company; they are all worthy citizens. In 1844 Christopher removed from Wyoming to Dallas, where he bought a farm of 103 acres on which he moved, and which has been cleared and improved to such an extent that it is now the finest farm in the town. His house is large and commodious, his barns extensive and well filled. All these improvements he has himself made with his own hands. He has held various offices in his town, which he has discharged with credit. He is a Democrat politically.
John J. ELBERT, proprietor of the "Germania House," Sugar Notch, was born in German, March 23, 1852, and is a son of Anthony and Mary E. (FRIEHIS) ELBERT, both of whom died when he was young. He studied surgery, and was three years in a hospital during the French war. He then learned the barber's trade, and in 1870 came to America where he followed the same successively at New York (eight years), Brooklyn (four years), Newark, N. J. (nine months), New Haven, Conn. (two years), Wilkes-Barre (six years), South Wilkes-Barre (nineteen months), then in Hanover township where he added confectionery and cigars, and also the business of life insurance. In 1890 he removed to Sugar Notch, and engaged in his present business. Mr. ELBERT, was married September 8, 1879, to Miss Catherine RUCKELS, and they had one child, Adam, who died at the age of six months. Mr. ELBERT's wife died May 15, 1881, and he was afterward married July 8, 1886, to Miss Mary TUCKER. Mrs. ELBERT is a member of the Catholic Church; he is a member of the A. O. K. of M. C. and in his political views is a Republican.
Isaac ELSTON, farmer, Lehman township, was born in Minisink, Orange Co., N. Y., March 22, 1827, and was reared and educated in Lehman township. He is a son of Samuel and Nancy (BAIRD) ELSTON, both of whom were born in Minisink, N. Y. Samuel was a blacksmith by trade, in conjunction with which he also worked a farm of fifty acres. He moved to this county in 1836, locating in Lehman township, where he purchases a farm of ninety six acres, on which were some improvements, to which he added, at various times, eighty acres more. This he improved and beautified by hard labor and economy; his life was one of industry, and his surroundings, at the time of his death, which occurred in 1853, at the age of sixty-seven, showed that he was a thrifty farmer. His family consisted of ten children, nine of whom grew to maturity, and three of whom are now living. Isaac is the youngest of the family, has always worked on a farm, but has never enjoyed very good health. He now lives on the old homestead where his father died. On June 2, 1850, at the age of twenty-three, he married, in Dallas, Miss Amy, daughter of Jonathan and Lucinda HASTEAD. By this union there were born four children, three sons and one daughter: Levi, Benjamin F., Fanny M. and one deceased. Levi married Miss Rebecca JENKINS, by whom he has three children; Benjamin F. married Miss Henrietta HOOVER, by whom he has three children; Fannie M. married in 1873, at the age of nineteen, John W. BIDWELL, by whom she had two sons; William H., born in 1875, and Clarence R., born in 1879; Mr. BIDWELL dying, she afterward married Mahlon DAVENPORT, late of Company E, Fifty-seventh, N. Y. Volunteers. Mr. DAVENPORT entered the army August 14, 1861, serving three years, after which he was honorably discharged, and he now enjoys a pension for disability of both hands. Mr. ELSTON is a general farmer, thrifty and industrious, a loyal citizen and a good neighbor. He and his wife are consistent members of the M. E. Church. Politically, he is a Democrat.
Benjamin Snyder EMORY was born in Washington, D. C., December 17, 1867, son of Rev. Benjamin B. and Mary H. EMORY. The father died when our subject was a child of four, and the mother, with her family of two sons and three daughters, moved from Holly Springs, Miss., where they then resided, to West Pittston. Seven years in the public schools of that place, and a course in the Wyoming Commercial College, completed his schooling. After leaving the business college he was employed for three years in the Western Forwarding office of the L. V. R. R., at Coxton. During the next two years he was employed as traveling correspondent for the People, a Prohibition paper of Scranton. As this employment was more honorable than lucrative, he embarked, in the spring of 1892, in the steam laundry business with W. C. TENCH. After running but three weeks, the building in which the laundry was located was destroyed by fire, the laundry plant, however, being saved. Mr. Emory then purchased Mr. TENCH's interest, and located in the building owned by his father-in-law, W. H. JACKSON, with whom he associated himself. The business, which had hitherto been conducted in Pittston at a loss, has, under the present management, constantly increased. The firm have manifested a spirit of enterprise and push, and have constantly improved their facilities. On September 8, 1891, Mr. EMORY was united in marriage with Miss Ellonia R. JACKSON, and one child, a son has been born to them.
George W. ENGLE, wholesale dealer in flour, feed, grain, etc., Hazleton. This enterprising and successful young business man was born at Sybertsville, Pa., June 1, 1850, and is the eldest of four children of John and Rose (FRITZ) ENGLE, also natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. ENGLE was educated in the public schools of this county, and Bethlehem, also at the Tuscarors Academy and the Bloomsburg State Normal School. He prepared himself for the profession of civil engineer, and followed that vocation six years, during which time his business took him through the principal States in the Union, and also through many of the provinces of Canada. A the end of these six years he returned to Hazleton, where he purchased and has since successfully conducted the feed store then owned by J .A. SCHROCK, which business is now thoroughly established, and is in a thriving condition. Mr. ENGLE is so well known and respected in business, as well as social circles, that personnal commendation is unnecessary. He was married in 1877 to Caroline E., daughter of James RHODES, a resident of Harvey's Lake, and four children were born to this union, viz.: Jessie (deceased), Edna, Stewart and James. Mr. ENGLE is an independent voter, and his family attend the Presbyterian Church.
Howard Keim ENGLE, farmer, P. O. Sybertsville, was born in Sugar Loaf township November 8, 1852, son of John and Anna (KEIM) ENGLE. His paternal grandfather was William ENGLE, whose parents were among the pioneers of Sugar Loaf township. The wife of William ENGLE was Mary DAVIS, and their children were as follows: Rachel (Mrs. Daniel YEAGER), John, Sylvester, Eliza (Mrs. Gideon D. KLINGER), Ellen (Mrs. Elijah McMURTRIE), Moses D., Stephen, Sarah (Mrs. Henry DRYFOOS), Wallace, Lizzie and Charles. Of these, John was a native of Columbia county, Pa. He spent most of his life in Sugar Loaf township, where he was engaged in farming and lumbering, dying there August 18, 1874, at the age of fifty-four. John ENGLE was twice married; his first wife was Rose FRITZ, by whom he had four children: George W., Clara P. (Mrs. Josiah SCHRECK), Albert A. and Emma J. (Mrs. Newton J. BEAM); his second wife was a daughter of John and Lydia (MASSELMAN) KEIN, of Sugar Loaf township, and by her he had two children, Howard K. and Estelle F. Mr. ENGLE united with the Presbyterian Church at the age of seventeen, and was an elder in the same for many years; in politics he was a Republican. His widow and children -- Howard K. and Estelle F. -- reside on the homestead.
Stephen D. ENGLE, whose scientific and mechanical inventions have given him a national, if not a world-wide, fame, was born in Sugar Loaf township, Luzerne Co., Pa., December 18, 1837. When young he enjoyed no other advantages for education than were afforded by the common schools of that day, but he was been an inveterate reader, especially of scientific works, and has thus acquired rare intelligence. Since arriving at maturity he has been a resident of Hazleton, in his native county, where he married a daughter of Joseph GRENAWAIT, a wealthy and public-spirited citizen of that borough. When the rebels entered Pennsylvania in 1863, Mr. ENGLE served with the "emergency men" until the soil of his native State was no longer pressed by hostile feet. Mr. ENGLE's father was a watchmaker as well as a farmer, and the subject of this sketch became the leading watchmaker and jeweler of Hazleton. He also studied and for a number of years practiced dentistry in connection with his business as a jeweler. One of his inventions is "Engle's Patent for Securing Porcelain Teeth to Gold and Silver Plates." The "Association for the Protection of the Rights of Dentists" officially approved of this device, and hastened to secure an assignment and abandonment to the public of the patent. Another invention of intrinsic worth is "Engle's Dust Proof Watch Case," affording such protection to the movement as would not now be dispensed with by manufacturers of the host watches. The first astronomical, musical and apostolic clock, ever build in the United States, was invented and built by Mr. ENGLE, and it has never been equaled in automatic wonders or in the scientific accuracy of the astronomical mechanism. So absorbed was Mr. ENGLE in the planning and construction of this clock, that he afterward wrote to a friend: "During the last year before its completion I had o night or day, but slept when I was sleepy and ate when I was hungry, without any regard to old Sol." It was perhaps fortunate for him that he was a disciple of Nimrod and Izaak WALTON, for without the recreation found in his hunting and fishing excursions, he would probably have succumbed long ago to an excess of brain work and confinement to rooms filled with machinery, crucibles, metals and acids. Capt. Jacob REID has exhibited this clock to crowded houses in every part of the United States and Canada. A description of this grand piece of mechanism, with its forty-eight moving figures, its movements illustrating day and night, changes of seasons, ebbing and flowing of tides and other phenomena, can not here be given. While Joel COOK, one of the editors of the Public Ledger, of Philadelphia, was visiting Strasbourg (France) in 1878, he saw the renowned Strasbourg clock, and in his book entitled "A Holiday Trip to Europe," he makes the following comparison: "The Engle clock, which has been exhibited in Philadelphia, is not so large, and yet does all that this clock does, and much more, and does it better." The latest invention of Mr. ENGLE is "Engle's Tellurion." For illustrating celestial, as well as terrestrial phenomena, this is far in advance of any apparatus hitherto constructed. It is the only apparatus yet in existence that shows the true motion of the earth around the sun in an actual ellipse. The parallelism of the axis is at all times preserved, and all the phenomena of the changes of day and night and of the seasons, the greater length of time the sun remains north than south of the equator, etc., are clearly shown. This instrument shows the length of the day and night at any season of the year in any latitude, as well as the heavenly constellations visible at any hour in any and every season of the year. The moon is seen in its gibbous and ascent phases, as well as with a full enlightened hemisphere in total darkness, its place being a mask or hollow hemisphere with the convex surface thereof black. This invention has attracted the attention of astronomers and teachers. Parties have endeavored to negotiate with Mr. ENGLE with a view to the manufacture of this improved tellurion, but the inventor has thus far been engaged during his leisure moments in considering further improvements in the machine, and has not entertained any of these propositions. He now devotes his entire attention to the manufacturing of fine jewelry, and, in fact, is the only real manufacturer in his line in Luzerne county. Stephen D. ENGLE is universally recognized by his neighbors as an upright, honorable and kind-hearted man. No ease of suffering, or distress ever came to his knowledge without enlisting his sympathy, and to awaken his sympathy is to open his purse strings.
Thomas ENGLISH, of Gorman & English, plumbers, etc., Wilkes-Barre, was born at Silver Lake, Susquehanna Co., Pa., January 3, 1846, a son of Thomas and Ellen (SEXTON) ENGLISH, who were among the early settlers of that county. The father of our subject was a farmer at Silver Lake, where he resided until the time of his death; he had a family of thirteen children, nine of whom grew to maturity. Our subject was reared in Susquehanna county until sixteen years of age. In 1862 he engaged with the Pennsylvania Gravity Co., in what is now Lackawanna county, where he remained until 1864. He enlisted in Company G, Two Hundred and Fourteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers for one year, and was discharged at the expiration of his time. He then returned to Susquehanna county and engaged in farming for three years, and in 1869 located in Pittston, this county, where he was employed as conductor by the Pennsylvania Coal Company on the Gravity Road, in which capacity he served up to 1885. In the fall of 1884 he was elected commissioner for Luzerne county, and re-elected in the fall of 1887, serving six years with credit to himself and his constituents. Since April, 1889, he has been a member of the firm of Gorman & English, plumbers, gas fitters and dealers in stoves, ranges and boilers, Wilkes-Barre. On February 22, 1876, Mr. ENGLISH married Mary F., daughter of Thomas and Mary COTTER, of Bradford county, Pa.; they have one son, Thomas F. Mrs. English died January 13, 1879. Mr. English is a member of the Catholic Church; he is one of the charter members of the W. G. Nugent Post. No. 245, G. A. R., of Pittston; in politics he is a Democrat, and served as chairman of the county committee two years.
Thomas ENGLISH, farmer, P. O. Carverton, was born, October 10, 1856, reared and educated in Wyoming. He is the son of James and Ellen (O'NEIL) ENGLISH, both of whom were born in Ireland, they emigrated to this country about 1842 and settled in Wyoming. By occupation James is a mason, and has plied his trade in the Valley with marked success. He is now a resident of Wyoming, and is sixty-five years of age. His family, by two marriages, consists of ten children, seven of whom are now living. Thomas is the third child by the first marriage. In early life he learned the plaster's trade, at which he worked for fifteen years in various parts of the valley with the same success which attended his father. At the age of twenty he married, in October, 1876, Miss Callie, daughter of Dyer and Mary BENNETT. They have four children: Edward, Jennie, Charles and Harry, all living.Back to Bios Index
Back to Luzerne County Genweb
These Bios were typed by the Wonderful people on PA-LUZERNE
1997-Present by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual
Back To Luzerne Genweb