Fayette County Genealogy Project

Associate Reformed Cemetery - Dunbar Twp.

Directions: From the intersection of Rt 119 and Crawford Avenue in Connellsville go west on Crawford Avenue for 5.0 miles. Bute Road bears left and Laurel Hill Road goes straight. Take Laurel Hill Road for 1.3 miles and turn right on Elm Grove Road. Go 0.25 miles and the cemetery is on the right.

GPS Location:

39.97908 N

79.69949 W

Transcribed from tombstone photos by Bob Rush

This is the third of three church cemeteries known as Laurel Hill or Old Laurel Hill. It was also known as the Junk Farm Cemetery, the land for the church and cemetery having been donated by the Junk family. The church was formed as a result of a split in the congregation and the new church (no longer standing) was built across the road from the cemetery. When the church was abandoned, the stone steps were moved across the road and formed a monument in the cemetery. A large bronze plaque was placed on the stone steps with this wording, "Near this site stood the Laurel Hill Associate Reformed Church Congregation organized 1791. It became The Laurel Hill United Presbyterian Church in 1858."

The cemetery has 10-12 illegible and or broken stones also several sunken places that are probably graves, but no markers.

See also:

  • Laurel Hill Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Laurel Hill Road-Second Laurel Hill Cemetery
  • Old Laurel Hill Presbyterian Cemetery, Race Path Road-First Laurel Hill Cemetery
  • Paull Cemetery, Race Path Road-First Laurel Hill Cemetery
  • Work Farm Cemetery, Race Path Road-First Laurel Hill Cemetery