About The PAGenWeb Project
The PAGenWeb Project was created in 1996 by Gary Steiner is association with the USGenWeb Project in an effort to answer the ever growing needs of genealogists who were trying to research their ancestors in Pennsylvania. The goal of the PAGenWeb Project is to have every county in Pennsylvania represented by an online website and hosted by researchers who either live in their county or who are familiar with their county's resources. The PAGenWeb Project is a not-for-profit volunteer genealogical organization dedicated to the free access of genealogical information by anyone in the world.
The PAGenWeb Project has been online since early 1996. Since that time, the project has remained faithful to the goals and mission of the PAGenWeb Project and continues today to provide FREE resource and reference information to researchers of the state of Pennsylvania.
The PAGenWeb Project is committed to providing FREE access to resource and reference information for Pennsylvania. Our dedicated group of volunteers (some local and some throughout the United States) are active in Pennsylvania research - each hosting a county that they have a research interest in. We pride ourselves on being "available" and being "friendly" -- offering helpful advice to new researchers. We are a non-commercial entity. We do not provide research for a fee nor do we recommend professional genealogists for hire. We do not engage in research for others -- although some of our volunteers do offer to do lookups, at their convenience. Our goal is to provide the "essential elements" that new researchers need. Among those are quality informational pages, pertinent addresses, county maps, query and surname resources, and friendly email lists.
The PAGenWeb Project would not be possible without a team of volunteers to help manage and coordinate it. Our current Leadership Team is composed of:
Nancy Janyszeski - State Coordinator
Elllis Michaels - Assistant State Coordinator for the Western Counties
Mary Ann Lubinsky - Assistant State Coordinator for the Eastern Counties
Past State Coordinator: with special thanks to Joe patterson
We Need You
If you are new to Pennsylvania research or are a seasoned professional, we need your time and talents to better this project. We need transcribers and friends of the project who are willing to donate resources so that we can build our online archives and offer free data to other researchers.
- State Coordinators are required to notify the Election Committee of all changes to the State
membership list on a continuing or quarterly basis, and respond promptly to any special requests for
information from the Election Committee and/or Advisory Board members.
Duties of an SC are listed in the SC/CC Guidlines at
- USGenWeb Election Committee
- Advisory Board
- We are not a research organization and do not have the facilities or manpower to do research for you, but we may be able to provide information on where you can find sources. Each County Coordinator has different time constraints and some may be able to do quick lookups. If you do ask for help, be sure to include the sources you have already checked, like Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org.
- We do not have a database of information on specific individuals. Please refer to the individual county pages
- We are an organization of volunteer webmaster. Some county webmasters devote more time to their sites than others.