Part of the PAGenWeb Project
CADY, Reuben Paine - Warren p. o., Glade twp (page xvi, Brief Personals *)
Reuben Paine Cady was born in Windsor county, Vt., August 27, 1816. When a boy he went to Essex county, N. Y., where he lived until 1838. Then he went to Cattaraugus county, N. Y., and in 1848 to Deerfield township, Warren county. In 1868 he removed to Glade, where he has since resided. He married Charlotte E. Hammond, who bore him four children — Calista E. (who married Clarendon Hull; Mr. Hull died in the war, and his widow subsequently married W. C. Arthur), Hubert (who died while in the army), Scott A., and Lulu I.. Mr. Cady, during early life, in Deerfield, was a lumberman, farmer, and mechanic. He is a licentiate of the Christian Church, but of late years has preached but little.
Return to top
CAMPBELL, James M. - Enterprise p. o., Southwest twp (pages xvi - xvii, Brief Personals *)
James M. Campbell was born in Jamestown, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1843. He was married in 1865 to Adaline Ware, who was born in Venango county. They have had a family of eight children born to them — Edward, Emma, Lillian, Sarah, Ruth, Belle, John, and Maud. Emma married John Coburn, and they had one daughter born to them —Carrie. James M. Campbell was a son of William V. and Almeda (Blakesley) Campbell. Almeda died in 1846, leaving four children — Margaret (born in 1839), Martin, James, and John Q. William V. married for his second wife Maria Burnett, in 1849. They have had a family of seven children born to them — Marietta, Austin, Walter, Jane, Clarinda, Rinnie, and Delia. Mr. Campbell settled and purchased his present farm in 1866.
Return to top
CAMPBELL, Jeremiah S. - Enterprise p. o., Southwest twp (page xvii, Brief Personals *)
Jeremiah S. Campbell was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., in 1812. He was a son of Patrick and Susan (Webber) Campbell, who settled in Jamestown, N. Y., in 1813, and in 1817 they came to Warren county, where they settled. They had a family of eleven children born to them. Those now living are Betsey, Jeremiah, William, Susan, James, Abraham, Nicholas, and Nancy. Patrick Campbell was a blacksmith, and died in Southwest in 1848; his wife, Susan, died in 1832. Jeremiah was married in 1832 to Lucinda Burnett, who was born in Crawford county in 1818, and died in February, 1870. They had a family of eighteen children born to them, nine of whom are now living — Elizabeth, Davis, Johnson, Melissa, William V., James, Mary M., Harvey, and Ella E. Jeremiah S. Campbell married for his second wife Harriet Barron, who died in 1881. Two of his sons, Davis and Johnson, enlisted in Company I, Pennsylvania Bucktails, and John was wounded. Mr. Campbell was a blacksmith by trade, but later in life becarae a farmer. He was a very successful river pilot for thirty-five years.
Return to top
CARGILL, David - Elk twp (page xvii, Brief Personals *)
David Cargill was one of the pioneers of Elk. He came here in 1824. In the family were his wife Betsey and five children. The children were John (who went to Michigan and died there), Betsey (who married Leve Leonard), Albert G., Rebecca (married John E. Woodbeck), and James (now dead). The following children were born after the family had settled here — Nancy (who became the wife of James Lowery), Sarah (who married Dr. William Hollister), Nathan, and two children who died in infancy. David Cargill died about thirty years ago, but his widow survived him about twenty-two years. Albert C. Cargill married Nancy Webb, of Elk, by whom he had a family of three children. His life has been spent on the river and in the lumber woods. Mr. Cargill is a life-long Democrat of the Jacksonian type, honest and earnest in that which he believes to be right. He never would consent to town office, nor has he ever associated with any church society.
Return to top
CASE, Franklin R. - Corydon twp (page xvii, Brief Personals *)
Franklin R. Case was born at Sagertown, Crawford county, March 20, 1830, while his father's family were temporarily stopping at that place. The family residence, however, was at Westfield, N. Y. Franklin came to Corydon in 1853 to "run the river" during the rafting season, and to work at his trade, that of a mason, at other times. He was married in 1855 to Esther L. Tomes, a daughter of Benjamin Tomes, by whom he has had two children — Theodore L., who died in 1871, aged fifteen years, and Adda L., who is still at home. Mr. Case was elected justice of the peace in 1865 and has held that office ever since, with the exception of a single year (1885). He has recently been elected again and called upon to enter upon his fifth term of five years. He has been town clerk for four years, and has served as secretary of the school board for eighteen years. Mr. Case is a Democrat in politics, and his election to office occurs in a town generally having a Republican majority. This attests his popularity among his town people. He is also a trustee of the M. E. Church, and one of the building committee, although his convictions tend strongly toward Universalism.
Return to top
CARTER, J. - Bear Lake p. o., Freehold twp (page xvii, Brief Personals *)
J. Carter was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1829, and settled in Warren county in 1838. He was married in 1854 to Mary Howies, by whom he had a family of twelve children, eleven of whom are now living. Mr. Carter enlisted in the Eighty-second Pennsylvania Regiment, was captured and taken prisoner at Shenandoah Valley by Mosby, but with one other man made his escape. The rest were never heard from; was again captured on the Weldon Railroad by Willcox's brigade of sharpshooters, December 31, 1864, and remained a prisoner in Pemberton and Libby prisons, Richmond, forty-seven days. He has been an almost constant sufferer from chronic diarrhoea, rheumatism and a kind of scrofulous sore on his leg.
Return to top
CHAFFEE, Elliott F. - Pittsfield, Pittsfield twp (pages xvii - xviii, Brief Personals *)
Elliott F. Chaffee was born in Pittsfield, Warren county, in 1839, and was a son of Albert and Anna (Mead) Chaffee, who were married in 1835. Anna was a daughter of John Mead. Albert Chaffee was born in Connecticut and settled in eastern Pennsylvania with his parents at an early day. He learned the carpenter trade and on settlement here he engaged in the clock manufacture, and later he became a farmer. They had a family of seven children, two of whom are now living — Elliott F. and Andrew. Elliott F. Chaffee embarked in the manufacture of carriages and wagons in 1865. He erected his fine residence in 1881, and that same year he became engaged in the handle manufacturing business. He was married in July, 1864, to Elizabeth Brown. They have had one son — Charles Chaffee. Mrs. Chaffee was a daughter of William Brown.
Return to top
CHANDLER, Josiah - Sugar Grove twp (pages 652 - 653 **)
(VI) Josiah (2), son of Josiah (1) Chandler, was born January 9, 1756, and died October 30, 1840, in the log cabin of his daughter, Celinda Evans. Late in the autumn of 1791 he moved from Pomfret, Connecticut, to Aquaga, now Windsor, Broome county, New York, and lived there until 1810. He then moved to Coneqango township, now Sugar Grove, in the valley named after him and his two oldest sons who also settled there, "Chandler's Valley." He had two hundred acres there. His house was burned in 1814. When he first heard of the breaking out of the revolution he was cod-fishing on Newfoundland Banks, and he entered a privateer and helped take ten prizes, three of which were retaken by the British. His share of the prize money was $1,800 of old continental currency. He married, April 28, 1781, Eunice Dana, of Chandler's Valley, Sugar Grove, Warren county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Holdridge) Dana, granddaughter of Samuel and Susanna (Starr) Dana, greatgranddaughter of Jacob and Patience Dana, of Cambridge, and great-great-granddaughter of Richard and Anne (Bullard) Dana. She was born November 7, 1758, and died April 26, 1825. Children: Charles, mentioned below; Celinda, born October 12, 1785; John, August 11, 1787; Alva, born at Windsor, New York, July, 1794; Sally, born at Windsor; George, Windsor, July, 1796; Eunice, born August 13, 1804.
(VII) Charles, son of Josiah (2) Chandler, was born in Pomfret, and died at Union, Erie county. Pennsylvania, He was a farmer. In 1810 he went to Windsor, New York, with his parents, and then to Chandler's Valley, where he lived until 1818. He then settled in Busti, Chautauqua county, New York, where he lived about forty years, until his children married. He then went to Union, where he lived the rest of his life.
Warren County coordinator's note: there is much more on the Chandler family available in Volume 11 of Jordan's book; only the people who lived in Warren County are included here.
Return to top
CHAPIN, Daniel Webster - Columbus twp (page xviii, Brief Personals *)
Daniel Webster Chapin was born in 1852. He was married in 1873 to Emma Barry. Mr. Chapin was a son of Daniel, jr., and Nancy (Smith) Chapin, of Venango, Erie county, where they were born in 1816. They were married in 1836, and had a family of six children, five of whom are now living. They settled in Columbus in 1855. Daniel died in 1875 at the age of sixty-one years, and his wife Nancy died in 1884. Daniel was a son of Daniel and Alice (Barrett) Chapin, of Otsego county, N. Y. They settled in Erie county in 1828, where they died. Daniel Webster Chapin is now a farmer and occupies the old homestead.
Return to top
CHAPMAN, Rensselaer - Russellburg p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xviii, Brief Personals *)
Rensselaer Chapman was born January 26, 1807, at Tioga county, and came to Warren county May 1, 1834, and located at Russellburg. He married Harriet F., daughter of Luke D. Turner, by whom he had ten children— Benjamin F., who died, aged three years; Lydia D., who married James G. Marsh, of Warren; Richard W. died, aged eighteen; Lewis T., Maria B., now the wife of Dr. Satterlee, of Custer City; Jo R., Phebe E., who married D. M. Howard; Luke S., died aged five; Kate E., married C. E. Cobb; and William E., now residing at Russell. Rensselaer Chapman was a shoemaker at Russell for many years. Although not a politician he has always been a staunch Democrat. Luke D. Turner, father of Mrs. Chapman, was also one of the pioneers of Pine Grove, having come there in 1827 with his wife Elizabeth (Cook) Turner and five children. He went to Venango county after a residence here of but four years, and he died there in 1869. His widow lives at Russell, aged eighty eight years.
Return to top
CHASE, William G. - Russellburg p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xviii, Brief Personals *)
William G.Chase was born in Dutchess county, N. Y., in 1819, and with his father's family came to Pine Grove about the year 1827. William Chase the father was twice married, and by his wives had thirteen children, five of whom were born in Pine Grove. William G. Chase married Pamelia Satterlee, a daughter of Salmon Satterlee, by whom he had a family of eight children — Martha, Alvora, Sarah, Harrison, Alzina, Charles, and two who died before receiving a name. William G. Chase commenced his life poor and with but little education. By industry and economy he has built up a comfortable home, and now owns a fine farm of about sixty acres. Mr. Chase is a consistent Democrat and a member of the Methodist society.
Return to top
CHEENEY, Thomas L. - Enterprise p. o., Southwest twp (page xviii, Brief Personals *)
NOTE: it appears the surname is actually CHENEY
Thomas L. Cheeney was born in 1840, and was a son of Jonathan Stowell and Alice (Gilson) Cheeney. Alice was born in Rome in 1815, and her husband Jonathan Stowell was born in Connecticut in 1803 and died July 18, 1885. They had a family of nine children born to them, eight of whom are now living— Thomas L., Mary E., Eliza A., Jonathan, jr., Martha, Ruth, Emma A., and Henry D. Alice was a daughter of Thomas and Eleanor (McGuire) Gilson, of Deerfield township. Mr. Cheeney settled here about 1827. Thomas L. married Nancy A. Soule, who was born in Milford, Otsego county, N. Y., in 1841. They were married in 1866. Nancy was a daughter of Elder Isaac and Lear (Brownell) Soule. Elder Isaac settled in this county in 1846 and died in 1860, leaving a widow and three children — Peter J., Betsey M., and Nancy A.
[Warren County coordinator's note: Thomas L. Cheney was 22 when he signed the Civil War Draft Registration Record; record shows he stood 5' 5 1/2" tall.]
Return to top
CLAPP, John M. - Tidioute p. o., Glade twp (pages xviii - xix, Brief Personals *)
John M. Clapp was born in Mercer in 1835. He is a son of Rev. Ralph and Sally (Hubbard) Clapp. Ralph Clapp was born in Martinsburg, N. Y., in 1801 and died at President, Venango county, in 1865. He was a Methodist minister of great ability and considerable celebrity. Sally Hubbard was born in Champion, N. Y., and died in Asbury Park, N. J., in 1886. They were married in Champion, N. Y., in 1824 and settled in Venango county in 1846. They had a family of six children—Edwin E., Charles C., Emeline F., Caroline, John M., and Ellen G.. Edwin E. Clapp now resides near the old homestead in Venango county. Charles C. Clapp died in 1843 aged sixteen years. Emeline F. Clapp was married to E. R. Shankland, and died in 1865 leaving a family of four children, three of whom are now living — Edward C., Ralph M., and Emeline F.. Caroline Clapp was married to J. L. P. McAllaster and has a family of five children—Ralph C., Eugene L., Clinton P., Edwin E., and Emma G., and now resides at Ann Arbor, Mich. Ellen G. Clapp was married to James McLain and had a family of five children— Mary, Charles J., Margaret S. (died in 1873), Ralph, and Effie (died in 1878), and now resides in New York city. John M. Clapp was married in 1865 to Anna M. Pearson, of New Castle. Their children were Ralph M. (born in 1866, died in 1878), Frances P., born in 1869, Alice J., born in 1873; and John H., born in 1880. John M. Clapp commenced business with his father at a very early age, and in 1860 purchased his father's property and continued the business in his own name. In 1862 he recruited a company for the army and went out as captain in Colonel Chapman Biddle's regiment—121st P. V. In August, 1863, he was discharged from the army on surgeon's certificate of disability, and returned home. Soon after his marriage he located in New Castle, and was for some time in the milling business. In 1871 he went to Tidioute, engaging in the production of petroleum, in which occupation he has proved a success. He has for some years taken an active part in Free-masonry, and has taken all its degrees; is also a member of the G. A. R., A. O. U. W., and other societies of a similar nature. These organizations have been pleased to award him their highest honors. He has contributed largely to schools, churches and charitable societies, and is highly respected by all his neighbors and acquaintances. A strictly temperate man, and a man of undoubted integrity, his success is a bright example to our young men.
Return to top
CLARK, jr., Green - Sugar Grove, Sugar Grove twp (page xix, Brief Personals *)
Green Clark, jr. was born in Sugar Grove in 1835, his parents being Green and Betsey Brown Clark, who came from Rensselaer county, N. Y., and settled here about 1829. Green Clark, sr., was born in 1794 and died in 1875; his wife was born in 1796, and resides in Spring Creek. Green Clark, jr., married Ann Gibbs, of Sugar Grove, in 1857; she was born in Chenango county, N. Y., in 1837; they have three children — Eva S., Bessie, and Harriet. Mr. Clark engaged in the manufacture of lumber in 1862, which business he still continues, having a steam mill of forty horse power, which he erected himself, with a planing-mill combined, manufacturing all grades of lumber, moldings, and fancy finishing stock for builders' trade.
[Warren County coordinator's note: On the 1850 census for Sugar Grove township, Green Clark, Sr., was a 55 year old farmer, born in New York state. His real estate holdings were valued at $4,500. Wife Betsey, age 54, was also born in New York state. They had three sons living with them: Alanson, 18, a farmer; Green, 14, and George, 11. The father, Green Clark, Sr.,and son Alanson were buried in the Clark Family Burial Plot in Sugar Grove township.]
Return to top
CLARK, James - Glade twp (page xix, Brief Personals *)
James Clark, Jane, his wife, and their children — Isabella, James, John, Alexander, Lewis, and William — came from Scotland to Warren county in 1846, and settled on a farm in Glade township. They have mostly lived there and in Warren, with the exception of Lewis, who went to Cincinnati, O. They have filled their position, in life with industry, uncompromising integrity and fair success. William died in 1872; Lewis in 1878; James Clark, sr., in 1882; Jane, his wife, in 1879, and Isabella in 1885. James and John now reside in Warren, and Alexander on the old home farm.
[Warren County coordinator's note: On the 1850 U.S. Federal census for Glade twp, the Clarks are listed as follows: James Clark, 50, farmer; Jane, 52; Isabella, 19; James, 18, farmer; John, 17, farmer; Alexander, 15, farmer, attended school within the year; Lewis, 12, attended school within the year; William, 6, attended school within the year.
Alexander Clark married Mary FALCONER who died of a gunshot wound in 1893. Read her obituary. In the Thursday, September 13, 1900, edition of The Evening Democrat, page 4, under the heading "Brevities" is an additional article of interest:
--The wind storm of Tuesday night last caused Mr. Alexander Clark, who resides near the northern end of the Conewango avenue street railway line, the loss of a fine brood mare. The animal was in a pasture adjoining one in which were several other horses. The wind blew down the intervening fence and the mare was made the victim of a vicious kick on the leg by one of the other animals. The injury was so serious that the mare had to be shot.
Alexander Clark's troubles didn't end there. From the Warren Evening Mirror, dated Friday, October 21, 1910, page 4, under Daily Reflections:
Dislocated Shoulder--Alexander Clark of North Conewango Avenue, had the misfortune to fall down stairs at his home Thursday and dislocated a shoulder. The injury is very painful and the patient will be deprived the use of an arm for some time.]
Return to top
CLARK, Dr. Robert C. - Columbus, Columbus twp (page xix, Brief Personals *)
Dr. Robert C. Clark is a physician and surgeon and was born in Crawford county in 1855. He read medicine at Union City, Erie county, and was a graduate from the medical department of Wooster University, Cleveland, O., in the class of 1881. He was married November 18, 1884, to Cora A. Dean. She was a daughter of Benjamin and Helen M. Dean. Benjamin was born in Taunton, Mass., and his wife Helen was born in Fairport, N. Y., and died in 1873. Benjamin was born in 1817 and settled in Columbus in 1833 with his parents, Benjamin and Hannah (Allen) Dean, who were natives of Plymouth, Mass. They had a family of eight children, two of whom are now living — Job. P. and Benjamin, jr.. Dr. Robert C. Clark was a son of Andrew and Mary (Campbell) Clark, who were born and married in County Tyrone, Londonderry, Ireland, who immigrated to America and settled in Crawford county, with a family of five children — Mary C., Bessie, Dr. Robert C., Joseph, and Charles H.. Andrew was born in 1821, and his wife Mary (Campbell) was born in 1824. They were married in 1846, and settled in Pennsylvania in 1851.
Return to top
CLENDENNING, Joseph - Ackley Station p. o., Elk twp (pages xix-xx, Brief Personals *)
Joseph Clendenning was born in County Monohan, Ireland, on March 17, 1827. He emigrated from Ireland in 1851, and in the year following came to Quaker Hill. Two or three years later he bought a farm and commenced a permanent residence in the township. In July, 1853, he united in marriage with Jane Clendenning, by whom he had a family of eleven children — Esther, James, Laura, Emma, Andrew, John, Nellie, Harry, Etta, and two who died in infancy. Mr. Clendenning is one of the most prominent and popular men of Elk. There is no town office but which he has been called upon to fill. There is no trust in the township that can be placed with any citizen that has not been placed with him, and in every case he has given satisfaction. Joseph Clendenning commenced life poor, but industry has put him in comfortable circumstances. He had such an education in the old country as was afforded boys there, and no more. The family from which he came were Irish Presbyterians, but he is not connected with any church society. In politics he has always been a Republican.
Return to top
COBB, Edmund Ira - East Branch p. o., Spring Creek twp (page xx, Brief Personals *)
E. I. Cobb was born at Spring Creek, Cobb's Corners, in 1836. He married Amanda Logan, of Corry. They have three children— Flora E., Clinton M., and Varney C.. His father, Ira, was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1808, and married Jerusha Jewett, of Vermont. They had ten children, six of whom are living; Myron was killed at the battle of Antietam; Zackway was killed at Spottsylvania Court House; remains not recovered.
[Warren County coordinator note: Myron Cobb was a member of the Forty-second Regiment during the Civil War.
Son Clinton Cobb died at the Warren State Hospital on April 2, 1946, and was buried in Spring Creek Cemetery. He was 82 years, 8 months, and 23 days old. His first name on his death certificate is spelled "Clynton." Parents: Edmund Cobb and Amanda Logan. His date of admission to the state hospital is not listed, but presumably he had been there for at least 3 years prior to his death because he was diagnosed as "Psychosic with cerebral arterid sclerusis" and "3 years" is noted beside this entry.]
Return to top
COLBY, H. H. - Eldred twp (page xx, Brief Personals *)
H. H. Colby was born in New York in 1824, and was married February 25, 1849, to Susan Williams. They had four children; Mrs. Colby died September 27, 1858. For his second wife he married Sarah Driggs on November 3,1858. They had four children; three of them are now living. Mr. Colby was a resident of Warren county for thirty five years; he died December 1, 1885, leaving a wife and seven children, and a farm of 100 acres to his two sons, U. S. and William G. Colby, of Eldred, Warren county.
Return to top
COLBY, J. W. - East Branch p. o., Eldred twp (page xx, Brief Personals *)
J. W. Colby was born in Erie county in 1834, and settled in Warren county in 1842. He married Electa Green, of Onondaga county, N. Y. She died in 1871, leaving a family of eight children — Amon, Eunice, Frank, John D., Elmer E., U. S. Grant, and WTesley; one of the children died in infancy. Mr. Colby married his second wife, Josephine Terrill, in 1876; she was born in Crawford county. Mr. Colby is now engaged in farming and lumbering, and now owns a farm of 106 acres.
Return to top
COLE, Peleg S. - Russell p. o., Pine Grove twp (page xx, Brief Personals *)
Peleg S. Cole was born in Herkimer village, N. Y., January 8, 1808. At the age of fifteen years he left home and went to Penn Yan, Yates county, N. Y., and there entered a printing office to learn the business. After a few years' residence there he went to Geneva, and thence to Rome, N. Y. In 1837 Mr. Cole came to Warren and took sole proprietorship of the People's Monitor, which he published for about eight years, when he sold his interest to Mr. Cowen. The Monitor was a weekly publication. After this sale Mr. Cole became landlord of the " Diamond House," which he conducted until just before the outbreak of the late war. Having a tract of land on "Jones Hill," in Pine Grove, he decided to live there, and engaged in farming, and he has since resided on this farm. In Yates county he married Louisa Brown, who bore him four children — Albert, Harvey, Alonzo, and Sariette. His wife died and he then married Mary Forbes, by whom he also had four children—James, Henry, Lucreatia, and Louisa. Mr. Cole has always been a Whig and a Republican in political life. During his residence at Penn Yan, Yates county, N. Y., he was a member of the Baptist Church.
Return to top
CONKLIN, Jr., John - Tidioute p. o., Deerfield twp (pages xx-xxi, Brief Personals *)
John Conklin, Jr. was born in Poultney, Steuben county, N. Y., May 7, 1819. His father was John Conklin, a native of Vermont, who settled in Deerfield in 1826 and engaged in the lumber business; he died at Conklin Run in 1839, leaving a family of four sons and three daughters— Hiram, Henry, John, James, Eliza, Roxana, and Hannah. John, Jr., embarked at the early age of seventeen in the manufacture and shipping of lumber, and became an extensive land owner and dealer. Owing to misplaced confidence in a partner, who had the disposing of his interests, he was a great financial sufferer, but still holds possession of some 3,000 acres now in controversy. He married Emma Price in 1844; she died in 1876. They had a family of five sons — James, Henry, John, Jr., Joseph, and Eugene. Joseph married Mary Chambers; James married Ida Morrison; Henry married Amanda Covell; and John married Mary Amy. Mr. Conklin united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1844, and devoted much time as layman in church work, and soon became active in establishing places of worship; he preached for over twenty years, and is now an ardent worker in the cause of his Master. He is still engaged in the land and lumber business.
Return to top
CONNELY, Sidney S. - Pittsfield, Pittsfield twp (page xxi, Brief Personals *)
Sidney S. Connely is a druggist, general grocer, and fancy goods dealer, and also deals largely in patent medicines. He was born in Deerfield in 1852, and was married in 1875 to Ellen E. Mead, a daughter of John Mead. They have had two children born to them — Rufus N., born in 1880, and Leon S., born in 1882. Sidney S. Connely was a son of John F. and Aurelia (Trask) Connely, who were born in Warren county. They had a family of three children born to them — Helen E., Newton I., and Sidney S.. Newton was born in 1850, and died June 1, 1885. Helen E., born in 1848, married R. Bliss in 1883. John F. Connely died February 22, 1854. He was a son of Isaac and Mary Connely. Isaac was a prominent man of his county; was a judge of the same, and died in 1864. Sidney S. Connely embarked in the mercantile business in July, 1879. His mother, Aurelia, died May 3, 1862.
Return to top
COONEY, John - Irvine p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxi, Brief Personals *)
John Cooney was born six miles from the city of Cork, Ireland. His parents were Daniel and Mary Mahoney Cooney, who were born and married in Ireland; Daniel was born in 1780. Mary died in Ireland, leaving a family of six children, three of whom are now living — James and John in this country, and Daniel in Ireland. Daniel, senior, married for his second wife Mary Shehan, in 1830, and had two children; one died in Ireland, and the other, a daughter, is living in Pennsylvania. Daniel and Mary (Shehan) Cooney left Ireland about 1856. Daniel died in Warren county in 1864, and Mary died in 1885 at Silver Lake, aged 108 years; she always enjoyed good health up to the time of her death. John Cooney left Ireland and settled at Susquehanna county in 1844, and in 1846 he became engaged in the building of railroads as contractor, etc., a business he followed for several years. In 1866 he settled in Irvine and built a store and embarked in mercantile business, in which he still continues. He was married in 1851 to Bridget Collins, of Lockport, N. Y. They have had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are now living— four daughters and five sons. Mr. Cooney has been justice of the peace for several years, and town supervisor; also postmaster of the town he lives in at present, and has been engaged in the lumber business, to a large extent, for railroad supplies.
Return to top
CORNEN, C. A. - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxi, Brief Personals *)
C. A. Cornen was born in Connecticut in 1844. He settled in Venango county as a butcher and packer in 1862, and in 1863 he was induced by his judgment to embark in the oil producing business. He accordingly leased a section, which proved successful, and then purchased a tract of 165 acres near Oil City in 1868. In 1872 Messrs. C. A. & D. Cornen purchased 210 acres in McKean county, and later they made a purchase of 550 acres in Forest county; this latter purchase is yet undeveloped. They now have seventy producing wells, all of which except seven are flowing wells. He has never failed in finding the object of his search. D. Cornen was born in Connecticut in 1855, and settled in Warren in 1883. C. A. settled in Youngsville in 1883, where he erected his residence in 1886.
Return to top
COVELL, Charles, Tidioute p. o., Deerfield twp (pages xxi-xxii, Brief Personals *)
Charles Covell was born in Washington county, N. Y., Feburary 3, 1835. He was a son of Nathaniel and Eliza (Densmore) Covell. Eliza died May 20, 1840, leaving a family of three children. Nathaniel was a son of Dr. Joseph Covell, who came to America with General La Fayette as a surgeon in the Revolutionary army. Charles Covell settled in Warren county in 1853, coming there from Saratoga county, N. Y., and there engaged in the lumber business and farming. He was married July n , 1857, to Esther Cauvel, of Venango county. They have had a family of three children born to them —Amanda A., Amelia A., and Charles A. Amanda A. married James Lewis, and Amelia A. married Whitley W. Greenlee. He died in 1883, leaving a widow and two children. Amelia then married her second husband, Seth Ganyes. Charles Covell enlisted in Company K., 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, in 1862, under Colonel Pierce, and served to the close of the war, and was discharged July 24, 1865, at Philadelphia. He was elected justice of the peace in 1882 for a term of five years; has been assessor for four terms, and also held other offices. His wife was a daughter of Christian and Mary (Lama) Cauvel, of Venango, Penn. Amanda A. has four children—three daughters and one son — Maud A., AdaZ., Nettie A., and William H. Lewis. Amelia A. has two sons — Earl A. and Charles W. Greenlee. Charles A. married Ella Higley September 8, 1886. Joseph Covell had twenty-one children—nineteen sons and two daughters. Charles Covell's brother's name was Andrew J. Nathaniel Covell was born October 24, 1782; Christian Cauvel was born March 6, 1798; died October 6, 1870. Mary Tama Cauvel was born November 16,1812; died July 5, 1886. Esther Cauvel was born April 28, 1841. Nathaniel Covell was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Return to top
CROCKER, Michael McKinney - Youngsville p. o., Brokenstraw twp (page xxii, Brief Personals *)
Michael McKinney Crocker was born in Conewango in 1849, and was a son of Francis O. and Eliza (McKinney) Crocker. Eliza McKinney was a daughter of Michael and Margaret McKinney. Eliza was born in Warren county, and her husband, Francis O., was born in Vermont, in 1809. They have had a family of ten children — six sons and four daughters. Two sons enlisted — S. James and Rienz. Sidney James was a prisoner in the rebel prison for ten months during the late war. Francis O. Crocker has held the office of tipstaff of the court for the past thirty years. Michael M. Crocker was married in 1872 to Eveline D. Chandler, who was born in 1852. They have had a family of three children — Roy A., born in 1873; Raymond R., born in 1876; and Clair E., born in 1884. Eveline D. was a daughter of the old settlers, John W. Chandler and Abigail (Smith) Chandler, of Chandler's Valley, Sugar Grove township. They had a family of five children — three daughters and two sons. John W. died in 1880. The children now living are Orville Delphine, Perry L., Eveline D., and Mertie. John W. was a son of John and Mabel (Wasson) Chandler, who came from Orange county, N. Y., about 1810. John and Mabel had a family of twelve children. John was born in 1787 and died in 1867, and Mabel was born in 1791 and died in 1875. Chandler's Valley took its name from this family. Michael Crocker was elected county commissioner in 1885, and his term does not expire until 1888; he has held many of the minor offices of his town. He purchased his present homestead of ninety acres in 1877, then heavy timber land, but now is under fine improvement.
Return to top
CUMINGS, Henry H. - Tidioute, Deerfield twp (pages xxii-xxiii, Brief Personals *)
Henry H.Cumings was born in Monmouth, Warren county, Ill., December 1, 1840, of New England parents. He removed to Madison, Lake county, O., in 1852, where Henry H. received his education, being a graduate of Oberlin College, of the class of 1862. He enlisted in July, 1862, in the 105th Ohio Vol. Infantry, and served under Buel in Kentucky, in 1862, taking part in the battle of Perryville, Ky., October 8, 1862; was post (quartermaster at Mumfordsville, Ky., during the winter of 1862-63; rejoined his regiment— which was a part of the 14th Army Corps—in April, 1863, and participated in all its campaigns and battles till mustered out in June, 1865, having served under Rosecrans, Thomas, and Sherman, through Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North and South Carolina, closing with the grand review of the army in Washington, D. C, in May, 1865. He was promoted to captain, and assigned to Co. K of his regiment in March, 1864. He came to the oil region in September, 1865; settled in Tidioute, June, 1866, being at that time engaged with Day & Co., in which firm he soon became a partner, in the oil refining business and shipping of crude and refined oil. The firm dissolved in 1873, when he formed a partnership with Jahu Hunter, as Hunter & Cumings, in the producing of oil, and various other enterprises, which they are still engaged in. H. H. Cumings married Charlotte J. Sink, who was born in Rome, N. Y., and married in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1867. They have a family of five children — Harriet Emily, Charles A., Henry H., jr., Ralph, and Laura Frances. Henry H. was a son of Charles and Emily (Amsden) Cumings. She was a native of Vermont, and her husband, Charles, was born in Brookline, Hillsboro county, N. H., in 1814. Charles Cumings was the son of Benjamin Cumings, born in Holhs, N. H., August 24. 1781.
Return to top
CUMMINGS, George D. - West Spring Creek p. o., Spring Creek twp (page xxii, Brief Personals *)
George D. Cummings cleared and owns a large tract of land in Spring Creek, in which place he was born. In 1868 he married Sue Woodbury, of Pittsfield. He is a son of M. Perry, who was born in Bristol county, Mass., in 1813; settled in Spring Creek in 1836, and married Sarah Yager, of Otsego county, N. Y., in 1837. They have two children — George D. and Mary A.
[Warren County coordinator note: this biography lists "M. Perry" as George's father, but should be N. Perry Cummings. According to Civil War records, Nathan P. Cummings was a private in Company A, 83rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry. On the 1880 census, Perry is 66, a farmer, living with his wife, Sarah, 58, daughter Arvilla M., 32, his father-in-law George "Yeager," 83, retired farmer, and mother-in-law, "Clarassa," 80, a retired house keeper. Perry is buried in the Wrightsville Cemetery, Warren County, Pennsylvania. LINK to a photo of his gravestone at Find-A-Grave.]
Return to top
CURRIE, Joshua Turner - Youngsville Borough, Brokenstraw twp (pages 627-628 *)
Joshua Turner Currie was born in Stanbridge, county of Missisquoi,
P. Q., on the 6th day of September, 1815. His father, Francis
Currie, was a captain of militia in Stanbridge at that time, when the title was
a term of positive and complimentary distinction. Francis Currie, whose parents
were from Scotland, was born near Albany, N. Y., on the 1st of August,
1785, passed his life as a farmer, and died at Stanbridge on the 7th of October,
1846. His wife, Polly Turner, was born in Vermont on the 23d of June, 1788,
and died at Stanbridge in June, 1872. They reared a family of seven sons
and one daughter, of whom Joshua Turner is the second son. Only three of
these children are now living, the other two being H. M. Currie, who resides
in Michigan, and George Earl, whose home is in Dayton, Ky., but who is engaged
in business in Cincinnati and Louisville. He was a colonel in the last war.
The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm on which he was born in Stanbridge, Province of Quebec, until May, 1837, when he removed to Russellburg, Warren county, Pa., and for some six months assisted his elder brother and uncle in the manufacture of lumber. In the winter of 1837-38, deeming his education unfinished, he attended the academy at Warren, when Hon. Rasselas Brown was principal, and in the fall of 1838 returned to the place of his birth. At the end of one year he came back to Russellburg, engaging as clerk in the store of A. G. Lane. From the fall of 1840 to the fall of 1842 he was Mr. Lane's partner, but at the latter date disposed of his interest in the business, and removed to Youngsville, where he began the work of mill building. He had never served his time as a mechanic, but was naturally gifted with mechanical ingenuity, and performed his contracts with such scrupulous punctuality and accuracy, that he soon had more work than he was able to do. He introduced a patented water wheel of superior construction, which brought him in generous returns. He followed this business for thirty years, putting power in nearly all the mills in the vicinity, and entirely rebuilding many of them—sixty-three in number. One prominent secret of his success is his remarkable executive ability. He has always depended on himself as much as possible, leaving little to be done by his subordinates that required responsible duties or skill. He has ever been willing to accommodate his patrons, also, and for years previous to the war received his payment more in interest bearing notes than in cash, and was always paid. In 1864 and 1865 he made considerable in investments in real estate, since which time he has also been active in brokerage, purchasing notes, etc. In this way he has by industry and sagacity, by perseverance and economy, by honesty and fidelity, amassed a competence, although at the beginning he had nothing for capital but his character and determination. His landed property now consists of sixteen and a half acres in Youngsville borough, and fifty-six acres in Brokenstraw township, in another lot. Its principal value is in its location.
Mr. Currie is a lifelong Democrat. Although he has taken an active and keen interest in political matters, he has never sought, and seldom held office. In his religious views he is independent. He is at the same time advanced and conservative. His opinions do not coincide wholly with any religious creed, but he gives much time and thought to the conflicting theories respecting man's origin and destiny, and finds his ideas becoming clearer with advancing years. His faith is bottomed on no metaphysical hypothesis, but on upright conduct.
He married Jane, daughter of Samuel Irwin, of Venango county, on the 4th of February, 1846, who through all the wasting years has blessed his life with the consolations of an intimate and self-sacrificing companionship. At the time of his marriage he first settled on the place which is still his home. The members of his household in the past have been, in addition to himself and his wife, Martha McDowell, who came to live with them when she was seven years of age, and is now the wife of Nelson Mead, of Corydon; and John L. Currie, who lived with them from the time he was five years of age until his marriage at the age of twenty-three years. He now lives on a farm in Brokenstraw township.
Return to top
CURTIS, Elliot M. - Tidioute p. o., Glade twp (page xxiv, Brief Personals *), see Deerfield twp instead
Elliot M. Curtis was born in Bridgeport, Conn., in 1831,and settled in Tidoute in 1866, and in 1868 he became a book-keeper in the bank of Grandin & Baum, and in 1870 he became cashier in the Grandin Banking House, and still remains there. He was married in 1867 to Ellen Stone, of New Milford, Conn. They have had a family of three children born to them — Harriet L., Elliot S., and Stillman W.. Mr. Curtis enlisted from Bridgeport, Conn., in April, 1861, on the three months call, as a lieutenant, served his time, and re-enlisted as captain in the Ninth Regiment and served for three years. He was promoted to major and served from 1864 to March, 1866, as major of the Fourth Regiment, First Army Corps (Hancock's) U. S. Veteran Volunteers.
[Warren County coordinator's note: son Elliot Stone Curtis, a 23 year old law student, was killed by lightning at Tidioute, per Warren county death records, 1893-1905, book 1, page 21.]
Return to top
CURTISS, Marvin W., - Sugar Grove p. o., Sugar Grove twp (page xxiii, Brief Personals *)
Marvin W. Curtiss was born in Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y., in 1848, and is the son of Sidney R. Curtiss, and grandson of Ransom and Mary Pratt Curtiss (she a sister of L. H. Pratt). Marvin Curtiss came to Sugar Grove in 1864, and in 1870 married Grace Guygnon, of Sugar Grove. They have two children — Gertrude and Alice. He settled in the borough in i88o, and in 1884 he engaged in the mercantile trade, purchasing a store; in 1885 he sold his interest in the stock, and in October of the same year he purchased a half interest in a steam saw, planing, stave, shingle, and flouring and custom merchant mill. The firm is Curtiss & Davis, dealers in flour and grain.
Return to top
CURWEN, M. D., John - Conewango twp (pages 605-606 *)
John Curwen, M. D., is a native of Lower Merion township, Montgomery county, Pa.; received his collegiate education at Yale College, and his medical education at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia. Shortly after graduation he was appointed assistant physician of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane in Philadelphia, under the charge of Dr. Thomas S. Kirkbride, and remained there until the fall of 1849. After a year spent in the city of Philadelphia, attending the hospitals and general practice, he was elected in February, 1851, superintendent of the Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital at Harrisburg, where he remained until February 11, 1881. Shortly after leaving that institution he was elected physician in chief and superintendent of the State Hospital for the Insane at Warren, Pa., and assumed charge of the institution on July 7, 1881. He was one of the original members of the Medical Society of Dauphin county, Pa., and is also a member of the Medical Society of Warren County, Pa.
He has been a member of the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania since 1866; was president in 1868, and has been chairman of a number of committees of that society, having reference to the care of the insane, viz., the committee to memorialize the Legislature in favor of a hospital for the insane for the northern district of the State, now located at Danville; the committee to memorialize the Legislature in favor of the law regulating the admission into hospital for the insane, passed in 1869; to memorialize the Legislature in favor of a hospital for insane criminals; to memorialize the Legislature in favor of the hospital for the northwestern district of the State, now located at Warren, Pa.; to memorialize the Legislature in favor of a hospital for the southeastern district of the State.
The hospital now located at Norristown was established as the result of that movement, but not as the memorialists had intended. He has been a member of the American Medical Association for about twenty years, and has read papers before that body on the care of the insane.
He has been a member of the Association of Medical Superintendents of American Institutions for the Insane since 1851, and its secretary since 1858. He is also an honorary member of the British Medico-Psychological Association, and of the American Philosophical Society of Philadelphia.
He was one of the commissioners for the erection of the State Hospital for the Insane at Danville, Pa., and also for the erection of the State Hospital for the Insane at Warren, Pa., and was also one of the commission appointed by the Legislature to inquire into the condition of insane criminals in Pennsylvania. He has been for many years one of the trustees of Lafayette College, Easton, Pa.
In 1850 he prepared a manual for attendants in hospitals for the insane. His principal writings have been the reports of the hospitals of which he has been the superintendent; of the commissions on which he has served; various papers and reports to the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania, embodied in their proceedings, and papers read before other societies, or printed in medical journals. He prepared also a history of the Association of Medical Superintendents of American Institutions for the Insane; a history of the original thirteen members of that association, with photographs of each member, and a biographical sketch of Thomas S. Kirkbride, M. D.
Return to top
* Source: History Of Warren County Pennsylvania with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, edited by J.S. Schenck, assisted by W.S. Rann; Syracuse, N.Y.; D Mason & Co., Publishers; 1887.
** Source: Genealogical and Personal History of Northern Pennsylvania, Volume II, Under the Editorial Supervision of John W. Jordan, LL.D., librarian of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, 1913.
Return to Warren County Genealogy homepage | Township Index
A proud participant in the USGenWeb and PAGenWeb Projects
© 2010 - 2017 Penelope Repko and contributors