Upper Turkeyfoot Township
Welcome to Upper Turkeyfoot Township.
Turkeyfoot Township received its name from the Indians who scouted for George Washington on his mission in 1753 to build a fort at Pittsburgh.
A portion of the map showing the country Washington traversed, shows the shape of a turkeyfoot
formed by the confluence of three bodies of water:
This is where the Borough of Confluence, Pennsylvania, in Lower Turkeyfoot Township, was built.
Upper Turkeyfoot Township was formed in 1848 from the larger Turkeyfoot Township which at one time was a part of Bedford Township and included almost the whole western half of the current Somerset County. (See "History" below). Western boundaries include Sandy Run and parts of the Laurel Hill Creek that separate it from Lower Turkeyfoot Township. The northwestern corner is bounded by Fayette County and Middlecreek Township. Its eastern boundary is the Casselman River that separates it from Addison and Milford Townships. Upper Turkeyfoot Township includes the towns of Kingwood, Markleton and Casselman and the once thriving comminities of Humbert and Paddytown.
Name Index (includes both Upper and Lower Turkeyfoot Townships
Census Records for Upper Turkeyfoot Township
Queries and Surnames
This county is part of the USGenWeb Project, a non-profit genealogical resource web system, and is maintained by April Phillips and Connie Burkett with help and information provided by other volunteers.
Last Revised: November 30, 2011