REDEDICATION

ST. PAUL'S (WILHELM)

EVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCH

MEYERSDALE, PENNSYLVANIA, R. D. 1

SUNDAY MARCH 27, 1955

7:30

Clarence E. Whetstone, Pastor

 


HISTORICAL SHETCH

The St. Paul's Congregation came into being through the solicitations of Ruben Kretchman and David Hay, inviting Rev. A. B. Koplin, who was then pastor of the Paradise Charge, to conduct services in the D. Hay School House. The services were soon moved to the new Union Mennonite Church in St. Paul's, located where Roy Sipple's store now stands. Here, on October 26 and 27, 1860, the Congregation was organized. Ruben Kretchman and Benjamin Wilhelm were elected, ordained and installed Elders; David Hay, Peter Wilhelm and Simon Phillippi, as Deacons. And on Sunday, October the 28th, all the 29 members were present for the first Communion Service.

In three years time the membership had grown to 59, and the congregation began talking of building a new Church. Work on the foundation was started in the spring of 1868, and the Cornerstone was laid in June of that year. The contract for building was given to Ambrose Breig of Salisbury. No expense was spared to secure the very best materials available. Therefore, when it was completed, it was said to be the best in Somerset County. The building was dedicated in October, 1869. The speaker for the occasion was Rev. John W. Nevin, D. D., who was then President of Franklin and Marshall College. It was said that he made a profound impression upon the people of this community.

When the building was near completion, someone pointed out to the Wilhelm's that a pipe organ would be a desirable addition to the equipment. The organ was purchased at a cost of $900.00. It was the first pipe organ in the County.

Between the date of dedication and 1906 there are no records available to show what was done to the building or equipment. However, there are those who remember that the walls and ceiling were white until during the pastorate of Rev. J. M. Evans, when they were frecosed. It was perhaps at the time that the organ and the choir were brought down from the gallery, and occupied the corner that is still occupied by the choir. During the pastorate of Rev. E. S. Hassler some changes were made to the Chancel and Choir Loft. Then, when Rev. S. C. Stover was pastor, the old High Pulpit was removed, and the Altar , Pulpit, Lectern and Chairs, as are there today, took place.

The record of other improvements and repairs is as follows:

1906 - Painting of interior, etc. $978.40.

1917 - Painting of interior, $355.26, water system, $212.35, carpet $86.10, building flue $111.06, furnace $175.00 and miscellaneous repairs $315.68. Total $1,254.45.

1919 - Organization of the Congregation was celebrated.

1925 - Basement excavation, outside furnace room and new chancel rail with enlarged Choir Loft, $5,885.07.

1934 - Interior decoration, $870.00.

1939 - Repairs to the Shurch Steeple $280.37.

1945 - Redecorating Interior, $1,500.00

1946 - Art Glass Memorial Windows $4,270,00, Brass Cross, Vases and Offering Plates were donated by Norman, Raymond, William Jr. and Mary Ann Gnagey.

1947 - To repoint brick and paint the entire exterior of the Church $3,365.00, repair the pinnacle of the Steeple $238.50, and install a new Window in the Tower $36.80.

1950 - For plastering recess and painting of Picture $685.00, new Wurlitzer Electronic Organ $2,377.18.

1951 - New Curtains to divide the class rooms $136.35. These were purchased and made by the Friendship Class.

1953 - This Class also Purchased Pulpit and Lectern Lamps $35.00, Well Drilling and pump by the Sunday School $479.99.

 


 

The improvements that have been made in 1954 and 1955, which are being consecrated unto the Lord at this time, are as follows:

Outside Bulletin Board and Lamp Posts at the end of the walk. These were purchased by the Sunday School at a cost of $371.70.

The brick was laid by John Hershberger of Grantsville, Maryland, who donated his labor.

All other Labor was donated by the men of the Church.

Landscaping Shrubbery was purchased by the Guild at a cost of $52.00.

Other Shrubbery was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Norman Holzhauer.

A set of seven point Wrought Iron Candelabras were donated by Mr. and Mrs. Robert McKerehan, Mr. and Mrs. Mark Maust and Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Klink.

The material for the Junior Choir Gowns was purchased by the Sunday School at $75.96. The gowns were made by the Mothers of the Junior Choir Members.

An Altar Table for a Worship Center in the Sunday School $50.00.

An Electric Water Heater installed in the Sexton's House, with a pipe run to the Church Kitchen, at a cost of $204.72.

The inside front wall of the Church furred and plastered, the ceiling covered with Acoustical Tile, all the inside walls painted and redecorated, at a cost of $2,865.00.

The entire Building rewired, and a new Lighting System installed in the Church Naive.

cost of Wiring, $293.74. Cost of Lamps $420.00.

 


COMMITTEE

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

ED R. HAY MRS. NORMAN HOLZHAUER

NORMAN H. GNAGEY MRS. MARK MAUST

MISS PEARL HAY MRS. JULIA GREW

SAMUEL COMPTON

COMMITTEE ON IMPROVEMENTS AND REPAIRS

MRS. MARY HAY HORMAN MENHORN

ED. R. HAY MARK MAUST

CHARLES BROWN

 

PASTORS OF ST. PAUL'S

The Congregation has been served by the following pastors:

Rev. A. B. Koplin...........................................................1860 - 1863

Rev. W. A. Gring...........................................................1863 - 1865

Rev. A. B. Koplin..........................................................1867 - 1873

Rev. C. U. Heilman........................................................1874 - 1884

Rev. J. M. Evans............................................................1884 - 1893

Rev. E. S. Hassler..........................................................1893 - 1903

Rev. S. C. Stover............................................................1903 - 1910

Rev. E. S. Hassler..........................................................1912 - 1914

Rev. L. N. Wilson..........................................................1915 - 1920

Rev. S. L. Loback...........................................................1927 - 1928

Rev. Karl H. Beck .........................................................1927 - 1928

Rev. M. A. Kieffer..........................................................1930 - 1932

Rev. C. L. Bash...............................................................1932 - 1938

Rev. A. J. Forry..............................................................1939 - 1943

Rev. George K. Ely.........................................................1945 - 1950

Rev. Clarence E. Whetstone.........................................1951 --------