Return To:
Somerset County Home Page


Welcome to the Stonycreek Township pages!

Stonycreek Homepage

Biographies

Cemeteries

Census

History

Photographs

Queries & Surnames

Mail List

Site last updated:

 

Township Trivia

Did you know?

  • Stonycreek township made international headlines on Sept. 11, 2001 when flight 93 crash-landed near Lambertsville.

  • Stony Creek township was organized as a township of Bedford County in 1792. It was transferred to Somerset County when Somerset County was formed in 1795.

  • 1st general store in Shanksville: opened by Emanuel Shaffer about 1828.

  • 1st wagon shop in Shanksville: started by John R. Marker about 1828.

  • 1st hotel in Shanksville: opened by Daniel Shank prior to 1840.

  • 1st physician: Dr. Fulk

  • 1st church: The Reformed and Lutheran denominations erected the first church in 1848. The building is now the Reformed church.

  • Shanksville postoffice was established in 1847 with Josiah Brant as postmaster.

  • In 1884, Shanksville had three churches, one physician, three general stores, one tinstore, one saddlershop, two blacksmith shops, one wagonshop, two planing-mills, one flour-mill and one hotel.

 

return to top of page