According to the tax-list of 1796, the following persons in Milford township pursued other occupations than farming. Christian Ankeny, gristmill and sawmill ; David Jones, sawmill; Ph.. King, gristmill and sawmill; Jos. Douglas, blacksmith; John Sutton, weaver ; Gottlieb Mittag, joiner ; Fred Hensel, cordwainer; Dan. Moore, tavern; Abr. Neff, tavern ; Henry Shaver, tavern ; Wm.. Jones, tavern; Conrad Beemer, tavern ; Peter Copp, storekeeper; Nathíl Davis, storekeeper; Adam Kreemer, blacksmith; John Miller, Jr., blacksmith ; Paul Barnett, fuller ; John Herring, blacksmith ; Chris. Umburn, potter ; Benj. Brown, tailor; Geo. Tedrow, tanner ; Abr. Miller, tanner ;Rudolph Oyrey, clockmaker; Thos. Van Doran, mason; Wm. Jones, mason ; John Marteny, joiner ; Jac. Harbaugh, carpenter; Ph. Wallick, millwright ; Jac. Kneble, blacksmith, Dan. Moore; weaver ; Chris; Speight, blacksmith; John Waggoner, basketmaker.
More than a hundred years before the present date (1883), James Wilson executed a cabin on a tract of land about two and one-half miles east of the present town of Rockwood. Quite probably he was the first permanent settler in the township. Wilson had a sawmill on his farm, which was the first manufactory in the township. Other early settlers were: Peter Bowlin, George Enos, U. N. Nicholson, Jacob Snyder, Jacob Weimer, William Critchfield, John Dull, Frederick Weimer; Francis Phillippi, and others. The first township election was held at. the home of John Shaff.
William Critchfield was one of the first settlers of this township, and experienced his share of pioneer hardships.. He lived upon the farm where Shamrock Station now is. The farm, which had never been out of the family name, is now owned by his grandson, James. John Critchfield, son of William, was born in Milford township in 1791. In 1821 he erected, on the farm above mentioned, a carding-mill, and the following year he built an oilmill, the only one ever erected in Milford. About 1820 he purchased of George Ankeny six hundred acres of land, upon which two sawmills and a grist.- mill had previously been erected. About ten years later he purchased of Ankeny six hundred acres of timber land and a sawmill. This land has since been cut up into several farms. John Critchfield died in l879. He married Susanna Baker, and his children were : Jacob, Samuel, James, Sarah (Weller), Phoebe (Schrock), deceased, Mary (Kahnís) and Louisa (Shave).
Jacob, a prominent citizen and a son of John Critchfield, bought two hundred and fifty acres of his fatherís, in 1868, for three thousand dollars. In 1868 he purchased three hundred acres, a gristmill and a sawmill of his father for three thousand dollars. In 1867 he bought of Adam Baker two hundred and fifty acres, for which he paid fifty-five hundred dollars. This farm he sold to his son, Oliver K., in 1883, for six thousand dollars. Oliver K. Critchfield was born and reared in Milford township. At the age of twenty-two he went to California to seek his fortune, was moderately successful, returned and bought the farm just mentioned.
John Wiemer, a native of Germany, was one of the first settlers of Milford, and located on a farm in the northeastern part of the township. Years later the farm passed into the possession of John Weimerís son Henry, who sold it to Peter Putman, whose son Peter now owns it. Samuel, another son of John Weimer, was born in this township about 1779, and died in 1828. He married Catharine Wisebaugh, and had seven children who reached mature years: Henry S., Joseph, Christian, David, Susanna (Schrock), Catherine (Sutter) and Margaret (Snyder). Jeremiah, who died in Cambria county in 1881, was the father of Jeremiah Weimer, who has resided on the old George Phillippi farm since 1853. Jere, Jr., was born in Brotherís Valley, but came to Milford when young.
Ludwig Flick was an early settler in Milford township. His son Jonathan, born in this township in 1802, purchased form John Kooser, when a young man, a farm of two hundred and twelve acres in the northern part of the township. Here he is still living, over fourscore years of age. Jonathan Flick married Rebecca Kooser, and is the father of eight children: John (deceased), Jacob (deceased), Solomon, Elijah (deceased), Margaret (Dull), Maria (deceased), Belinda and Mary A. (deceased). Miss Belinda Flick has in her possession one hundred and eighty-six acres of the old homestead.
The Kooser family, grandfather and grandmother of Miss Flick, came from Berks county very early. Mrs. Kooser lived to be ninety-six years of age. It has been said that the first crop of wheat ever raised in Milford township was raised by Mr. Kooser on the farm now owned by George Dumbauld.
Jacob Haines was born in Berks county, about 1750. He settled in Milford township in 1787, and here cleared up two farms one half mile west of Rockwood. He married Elizabeth Houseman, and was the father of four children. he died in 1827. His children were: John, Susanna (Tisue), Christiana (Lenhart), and Barbara (Ream). John Haines, born in Berks county in 1784, loved on the old homestead until 1851. he then moved to West Virginia, where he died in 1860. His wife, Elizabeth Knable, bore ten children: Jonas, Jacob, and John, deceased; Eli, Henry, Silas, Samuel A., Sarah (Shaver), Elizabeth (Laub) and Lydia (Nedrow).
John Walter, son of an early settler, was born in Milford township about 1783, and died about 1858. He married Susan Lamar, and reared eight children: Gillian, Henry, Jacob, Catharine (Gebhart), Elizabeth (Schultz), Mary (Snyder), Sarah (Corpenning) and Harriet (Shaffer). Jacob Walter, who died in 1874, was born in Milford township in 1806. After becoming of age, he purchased his fatherís farm, and resided upon it until his death. The place was sold to John Goehring in 1882. Jacob Walter married Margaret Snyder, and was the father of thirteen children: John, Josiah (deceased), Gillian, William, Frederick (deceased), George (deceased), Charles, Cyrus, Jacob, Adaline (Schrock), deceased, Susan (Putman), Ellen (Bradley) and Martha (Walker).
C. A. Walker learned the saddlerís trade at the age of seventeen, and followed it twelve years. In 1874 he bought the store in Gebhartsburg, origionally owned by harry Walter, and has since been doing a successful business as a merchant.
John Dull, a hunter and trapper, was one of the earliest pioneers. he was born in 1753, and came from Eastern Pennsylvania when a young man, and took up a considerable tract of land in the northeastern portion of Milford. In the course of time Dull divided his land into four farms, one of which he gave away in order to get a neighbor. he was obliged to go to the vicinity of Bedford for milling, going and returning with packhorses through the woods. in his hunting exploits, he would often camp on the mountains, and remain there alone for weeks. On one occasion he and his dog Tiger ďTige,Ē for short-treed a panther. Dull fired and wounded the beast, which immediately sprang from the tree and attacked him. as was his custom, he carried a butcher-knife and a hatchet. he grasped the hatchet and struck at the panther, and the hatchet came off the handle, leaving the latter in his hand. The savage beast rushed furiously upon Mr. Dull, and tore his hunting-shirt from his body. Tige came bravely to his masterís aid, and attacked the panther in the rear. This movement diverted the pantherís attention, and Dull found an opportunity to use his knife with good effect. After a long and terrible contest, the panther was killed. Mr. Dull was terribly scratched and bitten, and Tige was so nearly used up that he had to be carried home.
John Dull died in 1837. He married Elizabeth Putman, who lived to be ninety-one years old. Children: John, Peter, George, Catharine (Pile), Susan (Whipkey), Magdalena (Speicher), and Elizabeth (Sipe), all deceased. Peter Dull was born in this township in 1782, and died in 1854. he married Eve Knable, and at the age of twenty-three, purchased the farm now owned by his son, Peter Dull. His childrenís names were John, Anthony, Peter, Samuel H., Sarah (Brant) and Christina (Brooks), living; George, Jacob, Daniel, Elizabeth (Sechler) and Mary (Brant), deceased.
Peter Dull, Jr., was born in Milford in 1816. In 1843 he married Catharine Weller, who bore ten children: Martha (Critchfield), Samantha (Fritz), Susan (deceased), Minerva (Reid), Albertha, Elmira, R. H., I. P., John W. (deceased) and William L. R. H. Dull served a short time in the late war. At the age of fourteen he was sworn into the United States service by a recruiting officer as a member of Co. K, 5th Heavy Art. he was released by the government after a brief service, on account of his father interfering because of the boyís age.
John Long was born in Germany, in 1751; emigrated to America about 1765, and settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania; Moved to Milford township, Somerset county in 1797; Followed farming; died in 1835. his son Henry, now eighty-eight years of age, was born in Berks county in 1795, and came to this county with his parents. At the age of eighteen he began learning the tannerís trade, which he followed for about five years. He then purchased four hundred acres of land of George Johnson, of which he cleared about one hundred and twenty acres. in 1868 her retired from farming, and is now leading a retired life. henry Long married Elizabeth Lewis. Their children were: Jacob (deceased), John (deceased), Michael, Henry, Peter, Samuel (deceased), Lewis, Rebecca (Mason), Catharine (Tedrow), deceased, Sarah (Walker), Elizabeth (Humbert), and Rosanna (Brant), deceased.
All the early settlers were clothed in home-made garments. At first deerskins furnished the material for the main portions of menís and boysí outfits. As soon as the country had become sufficiently settled to drive away wild beasts, sheep were introduced, and comfortable suits of homespun were made from their wool. Flax was also cultivated extensively, and woven with wool, made light and durable cloth, which was worn by both men and women. Leather was long considered very costly. Men and boys got along with one pair of shoes per year, going barefoot in summer to save leather. young men and women walked to church barefooted, carrying their shoes and stocking in their hands until they came near the church, when they put them on and wore them until after the service. ďThe day of small things,Ē we are often told, ďhas passed away.Ē But might it not still be with us, had not our ancestors been guided in their actions by habits of prudence and economy?
Peter Putman was an early settler on a farm in the northeastern part of the township. His son Peter was born in this township in 1791. When young he settled on the farm which is now the home of his son Peter. At one time he owned several farms. He died in 1857. He was a prominent citizen, and held the office of county commissioner. He married Elizabeth Kooser, and reared twelve children. Peter Putman, who has resided on the homestead since his purchase of it in 1863, has a farm of four hundred acres, unsurpassed in excellence and fertility, ornamented with good buildings. For this farm he paid eleven thousand dollars. Mr. Putman is a progressive farmer. He was constable for New Centerville borough, and has served as school director many years. In 1858 he was first sergeant of a Somerset county military company.
Andrew Baker, another settler who endured the vicissitudes of pioneer life, settled on Casselman river in this township about 1778. He was born in York county in 1751; died in 1833. Baker was a carpenter by trade, but followed farming principally, He was also a hunter. When the family first came here, they once found themselves short of flour, and were obliged to live on venison and other wild meat until their grain ripened. The children become so tired of this kind of food that their father shot pheasants, which his wife dressed and cooked in such a manner as to have the meat resemble bread as much as possible, and, cutting it in slices, gave it to them, telling them it was bread. Andrew Baker died in 1833. His wife (Mary Ohler) bore six children: Peter, Daniel, Sarah, Julia A. (Putman), Mary (Uhlery) and Susan (Critchfield)/ Daniel; was born in 1797 and died in 1859. He lived in this township, married Susan Sweitzer, and reared three children: William and John D., living; Sarah (Walker), deceased. William is living on a farm purchased of his father in 1854. He has been county surveyor since 1877.
Jacob Barkman, a revolutionary soldier, was a native of Germany. When a young man, he settled in Milford township, where he died, in 1833, aged about eight-two years. His children were Jacob, John, Frederick and Mary (Kinder). Jacob, the eldest, was born in this county in 1768. he lived on the homestead, and died in 1830. His wife was Elizabeth Young. They had twelve children, of whom Daniel, Aaron and Christina (Raymon) are still living. Jacob, the eldest son of Jacob and Elizabeth, was born in 1806, on the farm now owned by his son, Jacob, Jr. The latter purchased the farm several years ago, from his father, who is still living.
Daniel Will, a native of Berks county, settled in Milford township in 1803, on the farm now owned by Jacob L. Miller. This farm was afterward owned by his son, Peter Will. Aaron Will, Esq., the eldest son, resides in Centerville and is a wagonmaker by trade; he has been justice of the peace since 1855.
John Will, a native of Berks county, settled in Milford township in 1803. he was born in 1786, and died in 1869. He was twice married, first, to Mary M. Deitz, and second, to Nancy Scott, and was the father of sixteen children: Aaron, Moses, Silas (deceased), Hiram, Alexander (deceased), Allen S., Albert G., Daniel W., Rebecca (Schultz), Maria (Yonkin), Louisa (Boucher), Josephine (Shaff), Amanda C. (Keim), Mary M. (Filson), Ellen M. (Miller) and Jane S.
Daniel W. Will served in Co. B, 24th regt. Penn. Vols., from October, 1861, to November, 1864; was twice wounded, and was ten months a prisoner in Libby prison. Mr. Will has served as burgess, councilman, street commissioner, auditor, assessor, high constable and justice of the peace in New Centerville borough. From 1872 to 1876 he served with credit and ability as county superintendent of public instruction.
Hon. A. S. Will, one of the leading farmers of the township, has an excellent farm, fertile and well cultivated. This farm Mr. Will purchased of his father in 1867 for the sum of three thousand seven hundred and fifty dollars. Mr. Will has held nearly all of the various township offices. In 1877-8 he served in the house of representatives of Pennsylvania. Under Gov. Pollock he was commissioned second lieutenant in the uniformed militia of the state, and afterward he was commissioned by Gov. Johnson as major of the 16th batt. of uniformed militia.
Adam Baker, a native of Brotherís Valley, came to Milford township about 1808. he owned several farms in the central part of the township, which, after his death, passed into other hands. he died in 1825, when comparatively young. His death is supposed to have resulted from the taking of some poisonous drug, by mistake, as a medicine. His wife was Susannah Mowry; children: Jonas, George W., John A., Josiah, Adam, Henry M., Jacob, Eve (Tedrow) and Polly (Long), of whom George W., Adam and Henry M. are still living.
John A. Baker was born in 1815; settled in New Centerville in 1837, and died in 1850. By trade he was a coverlet weaver. He held the offices of constable and justice of the peace several years. His eldest son, George M., is a teacher, and resides near Gebhartsburg.
Conrad Wable was born in Somerset county in 1782; he died in 1869. He married Mary Meyers and was the father of nine children; John, David, Henry (deceased), Noah, Jeremiah, Betsey, Margaret (Bird), Huldah (Grier), Nancy (Turney), deceased. David lives on a farm of two hundred and eighty-three acres which he purchased of Jacob Ankeny in 1842. Mr. Wable is a hard working man, and his farm, which cost three thousand eight hundred dollars, has been greatly improved during his ownership of it.
John Shaff was born in Switzerland in 1745. After emigrating to America, he first settled in Berks county, whence he removed to Summit township and engaged in pioneer farming on Saylorís Hill. Strange to say, he found the soil too rich; the grain fell and would not ripen. About 1790 Mr. Shaff moved to Milford township and settled north of Rockwood on a farm which Valentine Hay, of Somerset, now owns. During the first of this residence here, Mr. Shaff and several of his neighbors loaded pack-horses with grain and went to Hagerstown, Maryland, to have it ground. It chanced that there was a large amount of work already on hand at the mill, and as each grist must await its turn, it was so long before Mr. Shaff got his grain ground, that his family were six weeks without bread. Fortunately they had plenty of hominy and fresh meat and did not suffer. One of John Shaffís sisters was taken captive by the Indians, and remained twelve years among them before making her escape. She came home with her ears clipped and a ring in her nose after the Indian style. John Shaff married Fanny Frederick.. He died in 1816. His sons were John, Henry, Michael and David; his daughters Christiana, Catharine (Lower), Eve (Griffith), and Sarah (Frieze). Michael, who died in 1861, was born in Berks county in 1791. He settled on a farm which he purchased at sheriffís sale in 1823. His wife was Elizabeth Cramer. Children: John C., David, Adaline (Sterner), Mary A. (Boucher), and Caroline (deceased). J. C. Shaff took his fatherís farm at its appraisement. His land and buildings are fine.
The Tedrow family were quite early in this county. John Tedrow lived and died on a farm north of Centerville. He married Mary Voucher, and was the father of nine children: Moses (dead), Joseph, Jonas, Aaron (dead), Simon (dead), John, Hiram, Mary (Knable), dead, and Hannah (Meyers), dead. Jonas resides on the homestead farm, which he purchased after his fatherís death for six thousand dollars. His son, S. P. Tedrow, also follows farming, and is now a resident of New Centerville.
Adam Snyder, who lives at Rockwood, is the oldest man in Milford township. He is now ninety years of age, and is the only surviving veteran of the war of 1812 now in Somerset county. John A., son of Adam Snyder, was born in Milford township. In 1857 he purchased a farm of John Barkman, on which he lived until his death in 1880, at the age of sixty-two years. His son, R. K. Snyder, bought the homestead, and in 1881, with his brother, George B. Snyder, purchased the Jonathan Sechler farm adjoining, two hundred and twenty-seven acres, for three thousand seven hundred and fifty dollars. R. K. was in the late war. George B. now holds the office of township clerk.
Daniel Sechler was born in Berks county about 1774. He came to Milford township and settled prior to 1809. He was a farmer and carpenter. He died in 1849. He married Mary Enos, and his children were Jonathan, Henry, Andrew, Joseph, Elizabeth, Mary (Sterner), Magdalena (Ringer), Susan (Griffith), Catharine (Miller), and Sarah. Only Andrew and Sarah are living. Andrew Sechler was born in Milford in 1809, and has resided here during his long life, witnessing many and great transformations in the country about him. In 1846 he purchased of John Vought the farm on which he now loves. Mr. Sechler married Sarah Enos. His children - William, John, Andrew, Sarah, (Yutzy) and Laura - are all dead but Sarah.
John Sterner, who was a soldier in the war of 1812, moved to Milford about 1820. He was born in Elk Lick in 1785. He died in 1867. His wife was Mary Sechler. Children: Jacob, Alexander, Emanuel, Hannah (Wiltrout) and Elizabeth (Ohler). Alexander Sterner was born and reared on his fatherís farm. In 1848 he bought he bought of David Weimer two hundred acres of land near Rockwood, where he is still engaged in farming.
Jacob D. Snyder, a native of this state, was born in 1790, and settled in Milford township in 1821. He died in 1865. The names of his children are Daniel, Dewalt, Levi, Peter, Lydia and Susan. The sons are among the prominent and enterprising farmers of Milford.
Valentine Hay, an early settler of Brotherís Valley, was probably a native of Germany. He died in 1832, aged fifty-four. His children were Jacob, Jonathan, Elizabeth (Miller), Susan, Catharine (Knepper), Mary (Hauger), Sarah (Suder) and Tina (Brubaker). Still living: Jacob, Catharine, Sarah and Tina. Jonathan settled in Milford township about 1848, and bought a farm of Peter Hauger, which he cultivated until his death in 1881. The farm is now occupied by John J. Hay, his son. In 1883, John J. Hay and his brother William began operating a steam sawmill on the farm.
Jacob Sweitzer, a native of Germany, settled near Stoystown at an early date. His son Peter, born in this country in 1775, was a farmer, and died in 1831. He married Margaret Friedline, and was the father of ten children: John (living); Peter, Sally (Minder), Lydia (McQuillan), Susan (Lemon), Polly (Henry), Barbara (McIntire), Margaret (Young), deceased; Harriet (Rice), and Hettie (Younkin). John Sweitzer in 1842 purchased from Peter Shulz the farm on which he now resides.
The Enfields were early settlers of Addison township. Freeman Enfield, son of John, who now lives in Middle Creek township, came form the latter township to Milford in 1867. In 1869 he purchased of Tobias Meyers a valuable farm of one hundred and thirty acres for five thousand nine hundred and seventy-five dollars, which he has since greatly improved. Mr. Enfield served in the late war as a corporal in Co. D, 54th regt. Penn. Vols. from December, 1861, until January, 1865.
George Dumbauld, a prominent farmer, is engaged largely in stock-raising and dairying. He purchased his present farm of Jacob Walker in 1882. The farm contains three hundred and forty acres, and is in a high state of cultivation. No farming community in this part of the state surpasses Milford township in fine farms, good buildings and progressive farmers.
David, son of Caspar Hoover, was an early resident of Brotherís Valley. His son Samuel D., born in Brotherís Valley in 1823, settled in Milford in 1845, and followed farming. He died in 1872. His son, Edward Hoover, is at present engaged in the United States internal revenue service in the 16th district of Pennsylvania.
Jacob Miller, who was born in this country about 1779, kept store in Berlin for many years. He died in 1864. His children were: Josiah, living; Hiram, Aaron, Jacob and Rosana (Conrad), deceased; Caroline (Ferner), Louisa (Krisinger) and Rebecca (Dunner), living. Josiah settled at Centerville about 1843. His son, Aaron J., is a prominent farmer of this township, residing on a farm which he purchased of his father in 1870. A. J. Miller served in the late war during two terms of enlistment. See military chapters.
Philip Wolfersberger was born in Lebanon county in 1802. He settled in Milford township in 1856. In 1857 he laid out the village of Rockwood. Mr. Wolfersberger has followed farming and the mercantile business. He is now living among his children. His eldest son, David H., who was born in Dauphin county, settled in Milford in 1856. He is now keeping the Rockwood House, strictly a temperance hotel, which he erected in 1882.
The Livengoods were among the first settlers of Elk Lick township. Samuel P., who was born in that township, on the Jonathan Hostetler farm, had a considerable reputation as a hunter and trapper. He died in 1861. His wife was Barbara Stout, and the children were: Jacob S., David S., Jesse S., Jonathan S., (deceased), Samuel S., Susan (Miller), Sally (Saylor), deceased, Elizabeth (Vought), deceased. Jacob occupies the old homestead. His son, Archibald, purchased a farm of Chauncy Boyd, and settled in Milford in 1880. He was a soldier in the late war, serving in Co. K, 5th Heavy Art., from October, 1864, to June, 1865.
Nicholas Barron emigrated from Germany to Berks county, and thence to Somerset county. He settled and died on a farm of three hundred acres in Somerset township. His children were: George, John, Nicholas, Philip and Barbara (Young). Nicholas, Jr., was born in Berks county in 1765. About 1795 he settled in the northern part of Milford township, where he bought and cleared a farm, the same now owned by his son Nicholas. He died in 1831. His wife was Rachel Houser, and their children: George, Adam, Henry, Isaac, John, Nicholas, Elizabeth (Barclay), Catharine (Barclay), Mary (Levan) and Effie (Putman), are all dead but Isaac, Nicholas and Effie. Nicholas purchased the farm after his fatherís death, three hundred and thirty-four acres, for thirty-three hundred and forty dollars.
Rachel (Houser), the mother of Nicholas Barron, was captured by the Indians in Morrisonís Cove, Bedford county, during the revolution. Her father and her brother John were killed on the spot at the time of her capture. Martin, another brother, was present, but escaped. The mother was absent at Pittsburgh. Rachel and one of her brothers were taken by the Indians to Detroit. Her brother escaped and returned home after two yearsí captivity. Rachel remained seven years, and was then permitted to return home. Her mother paid a man twenty dollars to conduct her from Detroit to Pittsburgh.
Adam Barron, brother of Nicholas, and the father of Abraham and William H., of this township, was born and reared in Milford township. He lived on a farm adjoining his fatherís, and died in 1843. On the death of his widow the farm came into the possession of the two sons, who were the only heirs. The farm is a valuable one, containing nearly three hundred acres.
Jonathan Dumbauld, who was born in Fayette county in 1809, settled in Upper Turkey-Foot township about 1846. He is now living with his son Peter in Milford township. Peter Dumbauld bought his present farm in 1881. He owns two hundred and twenty acres, and, like his brother George, has a beautiful and pleasant home.
Another prominent farmer of this township is Peter Snyder. His farm and buildings are most excellent, and he carries on farming quite extensively. Henry Bearl lives on the farm formerly owned by this father, Daniel Bearl, and operates a steam sawmill, which he started about seven years ago.
H. H. Weimer was born and reared in this township. He learned the carpenterís trade of his brother Jeremiah, and still follows it. Mr. Weimer served in Co. H, 95th regt. Penn. Vols., from March to July, 1865.
John Kimmel was born in Stony Creek township about the year 1790. After his marriage he moved to Somerset township, near Levansville. He died in 1858. His children were Samuel and John, dead; George, Singleton, Ludwick, David, living; Fred, deceased; Lucinda (Snyder), Elizabeth (Walker), living; Susan (Smith), dead; Sarah (Levan), Eliza (Hay) and Rose (Weimer), living. Samuel Kimmel, born in 1808, died in 1834. His children were George F., John H., David F., Irvin, Washington, William S., Elizabeth, Sophia (deceased). George F. Kimmel lives in Milford, upon a finely improved farm of five hundred and thirteen acres. He has erected new buildings at a cost of about three thousand dollars. The first house on the place was built by a man named Bittner about 1800, and is still standing.
Harry Hay, whose ancestors are mentioned in the history of Brotherís Valley, is a native of that township. In 1882 he settled in Milford, having purchased of John A. Phillippi a farm of one hundred and one acres. He has since given this farm to his son, Herman L. Hay, who now owns and works it.
Next: Early Manufactures
|Somerset Country PAGenweb Main Page||Rockwood Area Historical & Genealogical Soc.|