The first house of worship in the township was erected on James Wilsonís farm by the Lutherans and Presbyterians. It was a rude log structure, and was erected long before 1800. Rev. Steck (1783-94) was probably the first Lutheran preacher here, succeeded by Rev. Frederick W. Long (1794-1808). Near the old church stood the first schoolhouse ever built in Milford. At present there are two Lutheran churches in the township - Laurel church, three miles south of Rockwood, and Pine church, three miles east of Centreville. Laurel church has a membership of about ninety, and is at present without a pastor. It was built at a cost of about twelve hundred dollars. Pine church cost nearly the same amount. It at present has about eighty members. There are also three union churches in the township: Sanners Lutheran and Reformed, about four miles east of New Centreville; Union church, three miles east of Centreville, and Pleasant Hill church, three miles northeast of Centreville. A Brethren or German Baptist meeting-house was built about 1855 at a cost of one thousand dollars. The membership is large.
German Baptist. - Middlecreek church of the Brethren or German Baptists was organized in 1849, with one hundred members. The district now has three hundred and twenty members and seven meeting-houses. The first meeting-house was built in 1850. Bishop, Adam F. Snyder; ministers, J. D. Miller, J. C. Schrock, Valentine Blough, Silas Hoover, Wm. Meyers,, J. Berkley, Cornelius Berkley, William Miller.
New Centreville Churches. - The first church in New Centerville was erected about 1813, by the Lutherans and Presbyterians. It was a log building, erected under the superintendence of John Carbaugh. The building was not finished until 1819. The first ministers who preached in the old house were Rev. Frederick Long, Lutheran, and Rev. John H. Giesy, Presbyterian. The old log church disappeared in 1878, its days of usefulness having passed away. In 1876 the members of the Reformed church built a new house of worship at a cost of nine thousand dollars, and the following year the Lutherans erected one equally as costly. Both congregations are prosperous.
The Methodists had an organization quite early, and about 1850 erected a meeting-house in New Centreville. In 1880 the house was sold to an organization of the Christian church which now worships in it.
Rockwood Churches. - The first church in Rockwood was built by the Evangelical Association in 1871. The building is a frame, and cost sixteen hundred dollars. In building it, the society were assisted by subscriptions from citizens who were not members. The first class-leader was Zachariah Snyder; first trustees, Simon Snyder, Thomas Cupp and Zachariah Snyder. The pastors have been: Revs. Daniel A. Risinger, T. Eisenbower, I. Smith, E. F. Dickey and R. P. Vanmeter.
The United Brethren church in Rockwood was built in 1873, at a cost of about fourteen hundred dollars. Rev. John Felix, the first pastor, was succeeded by John Buel, William Zook, J. N. Munden and B. F. Noon. The first, and also the present trustees: P. F. Wolfersberger, David Weimer and Anthony Growall. Class-leader, James Dillon. The present membership is seventy. In 1882 a two-story swelling, to be occupied as a parsonage, was erected by the society at a cost of thirteen hundred dollars.
The Reformed church in Rockwood was built in 1880, and cost sixteen hundred dollars. The building was dedicated by Rev. A. E. Truxel. Trustees: J. M. Wolfersberger and B. F. Kimmel. The pastor is Rev. W. W. Dietrich. Present membership, twenty-five. Before the building of the church, worship was held in the schoolhouse.
|Somerset Country PAGenweb Main Page||Rockwood Area Historical & Genealogical Society|