Bloomfield Times: Published
every Tuesday morning by Frank Mortimer & Co., is a five-column, 12x19,
eight-paged weekly. It was first issued in January, 1868.
Subscription price is $1.25 per year in advance. The Times is the
only paper in the county published on a steam-powered press.
Ledger (later known as the Newport Ledger)
Liverpool Mercury and People's Advertiser (aka- Mercury & Perry Intelligencer):
A weekly newspaper owned and edited at Liverpool, Perry county,
by John Huggins. The Mercury was a five-column, 12x16, four-paged
paper, devoted to politics, literature, local news and advertising. It
was started July 1, 1831, and finally became merged into the Perry County
Democrat in June, 1836. The subscription price was $2.00 per annum.
Millerstown Gazette : a five column, 12x18,
four-paged weekly, was started at Millerstown by Levi Klauser, Jan. 1, 1857,
and continued until April 22, 1858, when the press was removed to Newport and
the paper took the name of Newport Gazette. At the latter place
it was continued by Klauser & Bowman, from April 29, 1858, until September
20, 1859. Subscription price was $1.50 per annum.
Millerstown Ledger (later known as the Ledger)
Newport Gazette: see Millerstown Gazette.
Newport News: A weekly newspaper, started by Hervey
Smith and E. T. Williams, January 1, 1869. It is independent in politics
and specially devoted to general literature, local news, agriculture and
advertising. It has been greatly improved by its present editor and
proprietor, George Shrom, and is a seven-column, 15x21, single sheet, mailed
to subscribers at $1.50 per annum in advance.
Newport Standard: Started at Newport, September 1,
1841, by Samuel Schrack. It was a five-column, 12x18, weekly. The
press was removed to Bloomfield, and continued from August 22, 1844, as Perry
County Standard, by J. D. Crilly.
People's Advocate & Press (aka- Advocate & Press): An
eight-column, 19x25, single sheet, weekly Republican newspaper, started in
Bloomfield in June, 1853, by a joint stock association, with John H. Sheibley,
Esq., as editor. It is devoted to literature, politics, local news,
agriculture and advertising. Mr. Sheibley has become proprietor and
greatly increased his facilities for job printing. The subscription
price of the Advocate is $2 per annum in advance.
Perry County Democrat (see the Liverpool Mercury):
is the title of the Democratic paper continued in the office of the Perry
Forester at Bloomfield by Major John A. Magee. It is devoted to
literature, politics, general and local news, and agriculture. It is the
oldest of the weekly papers now published, dating its Vol. No. 1 June, 1826.
It is an eight-column, 19x26, four-paged weekly, mailed to subscribers at
$2.00 per annum in advance.
Perry County Freeman (aka- Perry Freeman, Freeman):
A Republican seven-column weekly, of which Hon. John A. Baker is editor and
proprietor. It was started June 20, 1839. Subscription price,
$1.50 per annum in advance.
Perry County Standard (see
the Newport Standard)
Perry County Times
Perry Forester: The title of the oldest newspaper
published in the county. It was started in Landisburg, July 12, 1820, by
H. W. Peterson, and Alexander Magee. It was a five-column, 12x17, single
sheet weekly, devoted to politics, foreign and home news, literature and
H. W. Peterson was an associate editor of the Forester from July 12,
1820 until January 13, 1821. He wielded a ready pen and for erudition
stood A No. 1 in his profession. After he left Perry, Peterson edited a
paper in Lebanon county, which he quitted to remove to Gault, Upper Canada,
where he became probate judge under His Majesty George IV. He died at
the latter place.
In the first issue of the Forester we are informed that but one mail reached
Landisburg weekly. The Perry Forester was continued by Alexander
Magee at Landisburg until April 9, 1829, when the first issue was sent from
the office on Main street, Bloomfield. The subscription price of the Forester
was $1.75 a year in advance.
Town and Country