Part of the PAGenWeb



An Act of the General Assembly that was approved on 25 July, 1913, established the Pennsylvania Historical Commission.  One of its roles was to "mark by proper monuments, tablets or markers, places or buildings, within this Commonwealth, where historical events have transpired ..."  
In 1945, the Pennsylvania Historical Commission, the State Archives and the State Museum were merged to form the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.

Carson Long Military Institute
A military school since 1919, it is the oldest in Pennsylvania.  Originally known as Bloomfield Academy, founded in 1837.  The first building, "The Maples", was completed in 1840.  Renamed as a memorial to William Carson Long, the son of Theodore K. Long, owner from 1914-1921.

Dr. Reifsnyder
Dr. Elizabeth Reifsnyder, MD, was a pioneer medical missonary to China.  She lived in this house before and after her work in China.  She was born in 1858 and died here in 1922.  (US 11 and 15; Liverpool)

Fort Robinson
Built in 1755 on the land of George Robinson.  Used for several years as a refuge from Indian attacks.  The fort was located approximately 1 mile away on the side road.  (Junction PA 274 & 850; 2.1 miles West of Loysville)

James A. Beaver
He was born in Millerstown on 21 October, 1837.  Civil War hero; Governor of Pennsylvania, 1887-1891; Superior Court Judge, 1895-1914.  He died on 31 January 1914 in Bellefonte.  (US 22 and 322, just NW of Millerstown)

John Bannister Gibson
Born in a house near here on 8 November 1780.  Chief Justice of Pennsylvania, 1827-51.  (PA 850, 1.2 miles west of Dromgold)

John Bannister Gibson
Born on 8 November 1780, in the home of his parents, Colonel George Gibson and Ann West Gibson; approximately 124 feet northwest of this marker. (PA 850 at Mill Road, 1 mile west of Dromgold)

Lightning Guider Sleds
Made here between 1904 and 1988 by the Standard Novelty Works.  The company was established in 1904 by William Wills and P.F. Duncan.  In 1920, the plant produced more children's sleds than any other US factory; approximately 1600-1800 sleds per day. (722 N. Market St., Duncannon)

Millersburg Ferry
The only surviving ferry service across the Susquehanna River began c1825.  The boats were poled by manpower until 1873, when the first paddlewheeler was used.  In the 1920's, gasoline engines replaced steam power and the paddlewheels were moved from the side to the stern. The ferry landing is a short distance east. (US 11 and 15, south of Liverpool, near the junction of PA 34)

Pennsylvania Canal- Susquehanna Division
Built 1828-1831; in operation until 1901.  It extended from Duncan's Island to Northumberland; approximately 41 miles.  Traces of the canal can been seen at points along the road. (US 11 and 15; just north of Amity Hall)

Pennsylvania Canal- Susquehanna Division
Located here is Lift-Lock #5 of this division.  Thousands of boats passed through here yearly on their way to Philadelphia, New York and Baltimore.  (US 11 and 15, just north of Liverpool)

Rockville Bridge
This is the longest stone masonry arch railroad bridge in the world.  It was built 1900-02.  It has 48 arches, with a length of 3,820 feet.  (US 11 and 15, at the north end of Marysville)

William Bigler
He was born approximately 1 mile west of this site.  He was Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-55; US Senator, 1856-1861.  (His brother, John, was also born here-- he was the Governor of California, 1852-56.)  (Junction of PA 34 and 850, Dromgold)

Guide to the State Historical Markers of Pennsylvania; George R. Beyer; Commonwealth of PA, PA Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg; 2000.

To anyone interested in nominating markers, please use this link to the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, to do so.



This site is maintained  by Cathy Wentz-Eisenstadt
Copyright 2003-2010.  All Rights Reserved.

This page was last updated on:   02/16/2009

People for better PA Historical Records Access (PaHR-Access)
Learn about the grassroots effort to make older PA state death certificates available on-line!!  Please consider helping.