Below are names and descriptions of the Covered Bridges that
can be found in Perry County.
of various Perry Co. Covered Bridges taken by the Sweger's.
See the Pennsylvania
Covered Bridge List by Dale Travis. These are beautiful photo's of
various Covered Bridges in Pa.
Adair's | Bistline
| Book's| Clay's| Dellville|
Enslow's| Fleisher's| Kochenderfer's
Mt. Pleasant | Milford
Germantown| Red | Rice's | Saville
| Waggoner's |
ADAIR'S BRIDGE (Cisna
This bridge is located in Madison Twp., just south of Cisna
Run; on legislative route 50009. It was originally built in
1864; rebuilt in 1919. It is 150 feet long and 14.3 feet wide. The bridge crosses
Sherman's Creek. Rough vertical-siding.
(Flickinger's Mill Bridge)
This bridge is located in Madison Twp., south of
Andersonburg; on legislative route 50008. It crosses Sherman's Creek.
It was built in 1871. The bridge is 96 feet long and 13.6 feet
wide. Burr-arch bridge with rough vertical plank siding on sidewalls
This bridge is located in Jackson Twp., on Three Springs
Road. It crosses Sherman's Creek. This bridge is 70 feet long
and 17 feet wide. The bridge was built in 1884; rough, vertical-plank
This bridge is located in about 2 miles northeast of New
Bloomfield, in Centre and Juniata Townships. It crosses Little Buffalo
This bridge is located in Wheatfield Twp., on Pine Hill
Road. It crosses Sherman's Creek. It was built in 1889 by Andrew
Clouser. It is 174 feet long and 20 feet wide; being the largest in
the county in both length and width. The bridge is set high above the
stream; large stone abutments and vertical-plank siding.
(Turkey Tail Bridge)
This bridge is located in Jackson Twp., on Adams Grove
Road. It crosses Sherman's Creek. The
bridge was built in 1904. It is 110 feet long and 16'11 wide.
This bridge is located in Oliver Twp., on Fairground
Road. It crosses Big Buffalo Creek. It was built by Yohn &
Ritter in 1887. The bridge is 125 feet long and 17 feet wide.
This bridge is located in Saville Twp., on Fritz Road.
It was built in 1919 by the Adair Bros. The bridge crosses Big Buffalo Creek.
The bridge is 72 feet long and 18 feet wide. It is a wide bridge with
very narrow portals.
MT. PLEASANT BRIDGE
This bridge is located in Jackson Twp., on Mt. Pleasant
Road. It crosses Sherman's Creek. This bridge was rebuilt as a
covered bridge in 1918, by L. M. Wentzel. It is 60 feet long and 17'9
wide. Vertical-plank siding with window openings under eaves.
"This bridge spanned the Big
Buffalo Creek at the east end of Milford. It was approximately 250
feet in length by 18 feet wide, with a plank floor, covered sides and
roof. It was entirely constructed of wood.
On each inside, extending from end to end, were massive rainbow shaped
arches. There were three pieces to each section and each piece of
lumber measured 16 feet x 12 inches. Each piece was cut and shaped
to the contour of the arch. It was then bolted to a section to make
one piece 32 feet in length x 24 inches. These sections were
interlocked with each other to form the complete arch. On each side
from floor to roof section were 12 inch x 12 inch x 18 feet uprights
extended the length of the bridge.
This bridge was built in 1889 after the flood, and was the last of several
that stood on this site.
All that remains today is part of the old wall at the east end. The
new bridge is at about the same place on the west end, but instead of
going straight across to the east, it is on an angle with the path of the
old covered bridge.
Note: The covered bridge above was erected in 1889 and replaced in
1938. The concrete bridge that replaced it was replaced in 1989 by
another concrete one just 100 years after the original covered bridge was
On the four corners of the bridge were large square stones. On one
of these stones, firmly imbedded, was a brass plate of about 4 inches in
diameter. This plate was marked "U.S. Geological
Survey". It showed the exact four directions, "the sea
level at this point," and "the penalty for destroying
it." However, no trace of it remains today. When the
bridge and the highway were relocated in 1938, the entire bridge, as well
as the marker, is now under the highway."*
NEW GERMANTOWN BRIDGE
This bridge is located in Toboyne Twp., on Ridge Road.
The bridge was built in 1891 by John W. Fry. It crosses Sherman's Creek.
It is 74 feet long and 12 feet wide. Vertical-plank siding and
tin-covered gable roof. Portals are painted in stripes.
This bridge is located in Liverpool Twp., about 2 miles west
of Liverpool; legislative route 50023. It crosses Barger's Creek
(Wild Cat Creek). It was built in 1886 and is privately owned.
It is 55 feet long and 15 feet wide. The bridge was "by-passed by
it's highway and sits on the side of road..." Vertical-plank
siding and wooden-shingle covered gable roof.
This bridge is located in Tyrone Twp., on Kennedy Valley
Road. It crosses Sherman's Creek. The bridge was built in 1869.
It is 132 feet long and 18 feet wide. The construction of the bridge
is unusual; it uses a combination of Queenpost trusses and Burr-arch
trusses. Beneath the large burr-arch are located 2 small Queenpost
This bridge is located in Saville, Saville Twp. and
it crosses Big Buffalo Creek. It was built in 1903 by L. M. Wentzel.
It is 60 feet long and 17 feet wide.
This bridge is located in Tyrone Twp.,
(east of Fort Robinson) about 1-1/2 miles
west of Loysville. It is located on an abandoned section of Route
274. The bridge crosses Bixler's Run. It was built in 1889 by
Joseph D. Lightner. It is 84 feet long and 17 feet wide. This
Burr-arch bridge is located near the remains of Waggoner's Mill; a large,
well-preserved stone gristmill. Dam & race are still present.
The above information was abstracted from :
A booklet that was
published by the Perry County Tourist and Recreation Bureau; New Bloomfield, PA;
The Covered Bridges of Pennsylvania, a Guide; Susan M. Zacher; PA Historical
& Museum Commission; Harrisburg; 1986.
*The Perry Review; Vol. 16; 1991; "Milford"; The Perry Historians,