CHURCHES BETWEEN THE MOUNTAINS
A HISTORY OF THE
LUTHERAN CONGREGATIONS IN
PERRY COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
REV. D. H. FOCHT, A.M.
THE BLAIN CHARGE
Home | Up
The territory embraced in the Blain charge
was until lately connected with the Loysville pastorate. As the Loysville
charge was too large for one minister to serve, Rev. P. Willard requested that
provision should be made for the employment of an assistant. Zion
congregation at Blain, and St. Paul's in Madison Township, proposed such an
assistant, and were willing to do their part towards supporting him; but for
reasons not known by us, the congregation at Loysville was opposed to the
employment of an assistant, and unwilling to aid in his support. As the
Loysville charge required more labor than one minister could perform, and as the
two congregations above named considered themselves fully able to support a
pastor, they united in the formation of a new charge. For this purpose a
meeting was called. On the 26th of October, 1858, the church-councils of
Zion and St. Paul's congregations met, and passed the following preamble and
"Whereas the Loysville charge
is too large and laborious for one minister, and whereas the Loysville
congregation refuses to employ the assistant named by the other part of the
"Resolved, That we hereby separate ourselves from the other part
of the Loysville charge, and from ourselves into a new one, to be known by the
name of the Blain charge.
"Resolved, That a copy of the above preamble and resolution be
sent to the balance of the Loysville charge, and to the President of Synod of
Central Pennsylvania, with the request that he publish the same in the Lutheran
Signed, "WILLIAM BRICKLEY, President.
"GEORGE STROUP, Secretary."
The Loysville pastorate being now divided
into two separate charges, Rev. Willard resigned in November, 1858, and thus
opened the way for each charge to call its own pastor.
Home | Up