ACADEMIES & PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS
The following information was extracted from
the book, History of Perry County Pennsylvania; H. H. Hain; Hain-Moore Co.;
Harrisburg, Pa.; 1922. Chapter XVIII.
Largely through the efforts of Dr. T. L. Johnston and Dr. H. D. Reutter, who
were its directors, the Duncannon Academy was established in 1890, the sessions
at first being held in Pennell's Hall, and the following year on the second
floor of Odd Fellows' Hall. Seventy pupils were enrolled in 1890. Prof. Thomas
M. Stalford, of Athens, was the principal, and Prof. W. F. Kennedy, later
superintendent of the Lewistown schools, assistant. Its life was but two years.