ACADEMIES & PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS
The following information was extracted from
the book, History of Perry County Pennsylvania; H. H. Hain; Hain-Moore Co.;
Harrisburg, Pa.; 1922. Chapter XVIII.
This academy was started by Alexander Blaine Anderson, in the house now owned
and occupied by W. Scott Moose, in Madison Township, on the Blain Road. It
was once known as "Sunnyside Academy." Dr. W. R. Cisna was once
principal, assisted by Rev. J. J. Kerr, pastor of the Duncannon Lutheran Church,
it then being known as Sherman's Valley Institute. As Rev. Kerr's
incumbency at Duncannon was from 1875-1878, the period was within those three
years. In 1866, Martin Motzer rented the building and turned it into a
Soldiers' Orphans School, under which head it is described in the succeeding
pages. While an orphan school an additional building was erected and
remained standing until 1919, when it was torn down and the timber which
remained in good condition was used in St. Mark's Lutheran Church at Kistler.
Also see, The Andersonburg School/Soldiers Orphans Home.