A Pictorial History of Mifflin County

Pages 96-100

Top: Carl Monie's grocery store at 24 Valley St., 
pictured before the cement block addition was added in 1925.
Bottom: Demolition of the old hotel at the Junction.

Top: J.W. Fike Electric Store at 54 Valley St., about 1927.
Bottom: Susquehanna Silk Mills, where ground was broken on May 18, 1909, on South Main Street.
Note the wording on the stack, which read: 'Suskana Silks.'

Top: South side of Monument Square during a snowstorm, 
year unknown, but it will be notedthat the Temple Theatre marquee still is evident.
Bottom: Collapse fo the Famous Store on Market Street in 1937.  It later was rebuilt.

The famous tannery fire. Once occupied by the North American tannery,
it was a hatchery when it burned in 1950.

The Bowman building at the corner of Dorcas and Chestnut Streets was torn down in 1966 to make
way for the new Sentinel building.  The original Sentinel is in the background.


Mifflin County PAGenWeb


Josie Baughman, Mifflin PAGenWeb County Coordinator

Copyright 2008, Individual file contributors.  All rights reserved.

This page was last updated 03/01/2009