A Pictorial History of Mifflin County

Pages 16-20

Top: Old view of Lewistown from Ards Ridge above Woodlawn. Probably in the late 1870s. Note Wayne Street School, built in 1872 to far right; the canal can be seen in far center with Glamorgan Furnace to the left. 
Bottom: Coach Shops- Corner of Valley and East Third Streets in 1878, operated by R. H. Montgomery, Sr. Note the omnibus in front, used to convey passengers to railroad trains.


Top: Wayne Street school about 1885. 
Bottom: The Kishacoquillas Seminary in 1876.


Top: South Dorcas Street during snowfall of May 1, 1872. 
Bottom: Stone bridge crossing Kishacoquillas Creek at Main Street. Built about 1805, it served until 1919 when it collapsed.


Top: Old stone building just above the Main Street bridge, erected about 1805 as a storage house for shipping grain, etc., by ark. 
Bottom: Ruins of Hope Furnace near Strodes Mills. Photo taken by Dr. G. C. Dean in 1885.


Glamorgan Furnace No. 2, shown when rebuilt and improved after the tornado of 1874.



Mifflin County PAGenWeb


Josie Baughman, Mifflin PAGenWeb County Coordinator

Copyright 2008, Individual file contributors.  All rights reserved.

This page was last updated 04/28/2008