Burlington Township was created from Sergeant Township in August 1812. This was laid out ten miles in an east and west direction by eight miles north and south. It included in its borders what is now Benzinger Township in Elk County, also a strip two warrants wide along the west side of Shippen Township in Cameron County.
This township was annexed to Shippen Township by the Lycoming County Court at its May 1817 term, to remain so until it was legally organized. At this time it lost its identity as a separate township.
It remained a part of Shippen Township until April 18, 1843, at which time Elk County was erected and this part of Shippen Township was included in the new county.
More details regarding the forming of this township may be found in connection with Walker Township. These five townships were not in existence for any length of time, and some had no inhabitants. Additionally, they were formed very early in the County's existence. Therefore, if any researcher comes across mention of an ancestor in these areas they would be better served by checking the townships that these five were annexed to.