Burgesses and Mayors:
1900-03 Andrew Merinco
1903-06 Mark Laverick
1906-09 John Roach
1909-13 Joseph Coughlin
1913-17 Jacob Miller
1917-29 P.J. Hayden
1929-32 Joseph Cheslick
1932 John J. Brominski
Mrs. John J. Brominski
Mrs. Anthony Harzinski
Henry C. Novroski
High Constables:(Chief of Police)
1901 John Stofko
1905 John Fairfield
1915 Stanley Barloski
1919 Joseph McGovern
1927 George Kender
1930 Joseph Havrilla
Joseph "Woofsey" Urban
1972 Edward Zukosky
1987 John Shemo
1900 Thomas Graham, D.A. Sullivan, Edward Kirby, Terence McGovern, James McQuade, Cornelius Burns
Justices of the Peace
1899-1936 Henry E. Miller
History must note that he used to personally whip wife beaters brought before him.
1900 Thomas J. O'Malley
1902 James Snee
1907 Patrick J. Hayden
1915 Kazmir Sieminski
Stephen R. Stefanides
1976 Andrew Barilla
October, 1911 Ground was broken for this building. It was a two story brick building located on Shoemaker Street and was 40 feet by 60 feet with a tower on one corner. The lock-up or jail was in the basement. The Town Hall burned down sometime after the flood of June 23, 1972.
A post office was established at Maltby on May 12, 1893 with Thomas J. O'Malley as postmaster. He was succeeded by Stephen Lukesh on December 23, 1897. The office was discontinued November 3, 1912. July, 1940 A sub-station which was located in the store on Hughes Street owned by Jacob Gans was opened in the Maltby Drug Store. This remains in operation as of June, 1997.
Strand Theatre 196 Hughes Street
January, 1950 This theater was on Hughes Street and was damaged by fire in 1950. It was operated by Frank W. Pepe. This is now the site of the Music Box Dinner Theater.
Music Box Dinner Playhouse 196 Hughes Street
Morgan Park is located on Main Street and extends to Mountain Street and St. Nick's Cemetery. The plaque at the park reads:
The park was owned by Holy Trinity Church. There was a pavilion and the churches would bring in bands and hold dances there. It was here that many couples met and the younger children would watch through the windows which had shutters. This park was located between Hill Street and Mountain Street.
The Polo Grounds were located near Church Street and across the street from the Roosevelt School. This was the first baseball diamond to have bleachers and it cost fifty cents to get in to see the game. Big league ball players would play there on Sundays using assumed names in order to beat league regulations. The Luzerne Reds played there, and the Harry E. Colliery also sponsored a team that played at this field. In 1932 a company from West Virginia opened up the Harry E. Colliery and filled in the diamond. The people were quite upset due to all the dust and started a petition. However, most of the people who signed the petition were employed by the colliery and in order to keep their jobs, the petition was torn-up.
This fenced-in park was located behind Barber Street. This park had a baseball field with bleachers. This is where the housing development known as Swoyersville Place is now located. The current street names are West and East Hall Street.
Horseshoe Park was also a baseball park and children ice skated here in the winter. This park was near Frederick Street and on the other side of the creek. Currently, it is the site of Birch Village.
Recreation and Parks
In 1968 for the first time in the borough's history , recreation was being established under the direction of Bob Long, Chairman, John Baloga, Vice-Chairman, Bill Hlavac, Secretary/Treasurer, and Pete Caprari, Advisory Board Members, coupled with the help of local residents. The sites selected were Tripp Street, Slocum Street, and Loveland Park. Property was secured for the borough on Main Street or the Back Road, and with the help of volunteers a monument was erected, and the Kiwanis present a plaque. Pavilions were erected in the community with the help of local volunteers, who made it possible for all children to have a place to play. Various equipment was selected for each site.
Bill Hlavac organized a crew of 30 volunteers to build the Slocum Street Park. He was assisted by Bob Long and John Baloga. The area was graded by local contractor Mike Ferraro. School Director Dr. Joseph Evans gave Wyoming Valley West Athletic Director Edward Chiampi permission to use the equipment stored in the Andrew Lawrence School Building on Owen Street for the new park. George Lesko a Swoyersville building contractor with the aid of volunteers then built the pavilions at the Slocum Street Park and at Noyes Avenue or Loveland Park. Work was halted for two weeks when George Lesko fell and broke his arm. The park layouts were designed by John Baloga assisted by Bob Long and Bill Hlavac. The three men then ordered sliding boards, swings, merry-go-rounds and other equipment. All work was performed by the volunteers with the aid of John Baloga, Bob Long and Bill Hlavac.
Morgan Park on the Back Road or Main Street was then cleared out by the volunteers and the Recreation Committee. A plaque was installed on a newly built foundation honoring the family who donated the land. Morgan Park also has a nature trail.
The Kiwanis Club donated three picnic tables and benches for all the parks. Today, the parks stand as a reminder that people in a community working together can accomplish any goal.
Swoyersville Little League was started as a Kiwanis project and was originally located in the area bordered by Kossack and Main Streets. Mr. George Ruckno was the owner of the land and when he decided to build a housing development there, the Little League moved to the American Legion Fields on Hemlock Street. In 1955 or 1956 a group of men consisting of Ed Stankus, Al Kole, Joe Matusek, Izzi Rubel and Walter Condon gathered at the old library on Owen Street. Carol Brezney served as the secretary and was affiliated with the library. Cyril Hornick joined the group at the second or third meeting and was in charge of the baseball aspect as well as getting the approval from Pagnotti for the use of their grounds. The original name was the Swoyersville Boys League. Ed Stankus of the Maltby section would be an officer in the Little League for over 25 years. Cy "Dopey" Hornick became known as Swoyersville's Mister Little League and was the town's chief baby sitter. He was honored at a Testimonial Dinner at the Holy Trinity Hall on December 19, 1979. Ben Belinka would be an umpire for 17 years and also would be Umpire in Chief.
Little League Presidents
Walter Condon one of the first presidents of the Little League
James Pace President, manager and umpire
Michael Stelma President of the Little League in 1979
Leonard Pesta Vice President of the Little League and manager
John Lykon Vice President of the Little League
Edward Stankus Treasurer of the Little League
Frank Licata Secretary of the Little League
Raymond Ripa Secretary of the Little League
Robert Kyttle Secretary of the Little League
Cy Hornick Little League Commissioner (beginning in 1956) and player agent
Joseph Oravec Umpire in Chief
Ben Belinka Umpire in Chief
Vincent Dennis Safety Officer
Leonard Pesta Safety Officer
1997 Little League Officers
Bobbie Boney President
Kenny Remensnyder Vice President
John Barilla Treasurer
Al Clocker Secretary
John Michaels Safety Officer
John O'Hara Player Agent
John Britt Board Member
John Harper Board Member
John Mayerski Board Member
Roosevelt Recreation Area
This is park is located between Church Street and Tripp Street. The Roosevelt School was once located at this site.
Slocum Street Park
This park is located on Slocum Street. It was originally swamp land. The Recreation Committee was instrumental in creating this park. District Magistrate Andrew Barilla spent many hours there cutting the grass and keeping the park in shape.
This baseball field was located between Forty Fort and Swoyersville by Simpson and Dana Streets. Hobo Jungle was behind or below it.
Swoyersville Sailors Junior Football
With the school jointures, the local towns lost some of their identities and some of the pride they once had in their football teams. With that thought in mind, Swoyersville Sailors Junior Football Team came on the scene in the early 1970's. It was founded by Bob Long, a local resident and a former player under Coach John Yonkondy. Mr. Long wanted to bring back that pride that was once prevalent in the borough. Establishing a line of credit, he purchased uniforms, appointed Joseph Urban as its first Head Football Coach and Bob Clark as his assistant. He formed a chapter under which he served as President, along with other local residents who helped to make this program a success. As an active PIAA football official, he was elected as commissioner of the Wyoming Valley Football Conference, whose duty it was to assign game officials. Mr. Long is currently serving in the same capacity in 1998 with the Greater Pittston Junior Football Conference.
Swoyersville Girls' Softball Organization
This organization has been in existence for about 20 years and was started in order have a high quality sports program for the girls. In 1998, there are 120 girls playing softball and Karen Nat is Swoyersville Softball League President and Norma Koscinski is league vice president. Also in 1998, there are nine teams in the league with ages ranging from 8 to 18. The league held a four team tournament in July of 1998 at the Tripp Street field with mom's from two Swoyersville teams, one team from Forty Fort and another team from Edwardsville and Larksville.
The Maltby Drug Store was opened by Albert Haight and was later owned and operated by William Evans, Arthur Edwards, Sam Slomowitz, Theodore Fischer, Joseph Ranieli, R.Ph.
1907 Owned by William E. Evans
1912-1934 Arthur Edwards operated a drug store on Hughes Street and in 1934 he relocated it to Shoemaker Street in Forty Fort.
1933 In 1933 Maltby Drug Store was located at 323 Hughes Street
1946 In 1946 it was moved to the Bergmann Building in the upper end of Swoyersville and for many years operated at 326 Hughes Street.
1972 In 1972 Maltby Drug Store was operating at 326 Hughes Street with Ted Fischer as the pharmacist and owner.
1998 In 1998 Maltby Drug Store is located at 668 Main Street and Joseph Ranieli is the pharmacist and owner.
GENERAL STORES, GROCERY STORE, MEAT MARKETS, ETC.
1904 John M. Kalna opened a small general store in 1904. In 1909 he opened a business on Hughes Street which included a candy store, a soda fountain, furniture, miners supplies, shoes, and dried good. In 1928 he moved into his new building and changed it to a complete grocery and meat market. In 1946, the original building was made into a barber shop by Charles Smith and Mr. Kalna retired from the business and moved to California.
Feldman's Store was located on the corner of Main Street and Slocum Street. Feldman's was a grocery store and a butcher shop and carried dry good such as yarn as well as groceries and shoes and meats.
1933 Harry S. Friedman's Department Store was located at 242 Hughes Street.
Pearl's Store was owned and operated by Steve (Pepe) and Pearl Slusser on Shoemaker Street. This was a small store for bread and candy and a place where all the "kids" could come to play the jukebox and pinball machines and have a soda.
Early 1900's A store at 311 Hughes Street was started by Samuel Wruble. He died and Mrs. Wruble continued the business. At this time he had conducted a grocery store at this address for about 50 years. When Mrs. Wruble retired from the business, it was continued by her sons Louis aand Sidney Wruble. In 1952 Louis Wruble was still conducting it at 1227 Main Street. He then closed the store. It had the first telephone and it was used by many in emergency cases.
1930's Wruble's Market and the Atlantic Gas Station was on the corner of Main and Dennison Streets. It was purchased by John Mullay in 1940, and in 1997 Mullay's Market continues to serve the community with homemade kielbasa and sausage. It is still maintained as a small grocery store but the gas station is no longer there.
1900-1940 Valentine Paluck ran a store at 17 Sullivan Street. In 1940 he retired from the business. In November, 1946 Mr. Paluck died.
Early 1900's Paul Bankowich operated a grocery store and retired. He died on May 27, 1944 at 261 Tripp Street.
Emanuel Bergman operated a business which sold clothing, furniture and stoves at 323 Hughes Street. He had been in business for almost 40 years and then sold the business to Daniel Podskoch and Rudy Kudela. In 1949 they built an addition to the building making the store 72 feet deep. The frontage was 20 feet.
An A & P Store could be found on Hughes Street.
An American Store was located on Hughes Street.
Berrettini's Meat Market was located at 465 Church Street in 1933.
Bytheways' operated a store on Slocum Street.
Corner Cash Market located at 240 Owen Street and Noyes Avenue was in operation in 1933.
Coulter's Confectionery was located at 251 Hughes Street in 1948.
The Jacob Ganz Store was located at 333 Hughes Street in the Maltby section of town in 1933 and would mail purchases to any part of the United States. This was a department store which sold dry goods, clothing and high grade footwear. It was still operating in 1948.
Griffins Store was located on Poland and Sidney Street. John Griffen would slice the meats by hand.
Helen's Dress Shop was located on Hughes Street.
Henreitta's Dress Shop was located on Dana Street.
Innocenti's Market, a meat and groceries market was operated at 360 Shoemaker Street by Frank Innocenti. After his death, John and Gino continued the business. In March of 1954 Gino died and John continued the business.
1929 - 1972 Frank and Josephine Licata owned and operated Licata's Market, a grocery store at 2 Watkins Street. Starting in 1929 they rented the building for 4 or 5 years and the building was owned by Mr. Shedlowski. Mr. and Mrs. Licata later bought the building. Frank died in 1947 and then Josephine continued the operated the business. The original building burned in 1956. It was later rebuilt, and the family reopened the store in 1957, and it remained opened until the flood of 1972. After the business closed, it was used as an apartment building. For many years especially during the depression, groceries were sold to many local families "on the book." A ledger was kept and if the family put $35.00 worth of groceries on the book in a two week period, they would perhaps pay $29.00. The ledger book was lost in the fire and while some families paid what they owed, others did not. Many grocery stores in town carried families "on the book" for many years.
1920's Bingo's Food Market or Bingo's Store is located at 489 Slocum Street. He started another small store in the 1920's, then a pool hall and finally Bingo's Hoagies. The store used to be a full grocery store selling meats and fresh produce with a warehouse for fresh produce in the basement. The store in 1997 now concentrates on making one of the best hoagies in town and providing its customers with canned goods, soda, candy and cold cuts or luncheon meats.
Charlie Chip was owned and operated by the Ger-Len Corporation.
Joseph Derzak conducted a store on the corner of Owen and Brown Streets prior to 1947. He died on October 30, 1947.
Chiazzi's Store was located at 31 Hazel Street and was a grocery store and meat market. This store was operated by Tommy Chiazzi.
Con O'Donnell operated a grocery store.
Fanti's Grocery Store was on Shoemaker Street and was an Italian style wholesale store with wonderful "Italian" smells. It later became a bar owned by Leo Orlandini.
1945 In 1945, Leo Gaj's Home Appliance store at 165 Shoemaker Street was opened.
Stanley Gaj owned and operated a store on the corner of Shoemaker and Hemlock Street. He sold penny candy, bread, etc. Many school children stopped there for the penny candy. This store later was owned and operated by the Holups.
J. J. Gavlick owned and operated a grocery store on Watkins Street and this was later the site of a beauty shop.
Gelb's was a grocery store located on the corner of Kossack and Simpson Streets. Issac Gelb owned and operated this store.
Hardy's Store was owned and operated by Michael Hardy at 25 McHale Street. This was a small grocery store and meat market.
Hometchko's Shoe Repair shop was located at 94 Hughes Street and was the successor to E. Yablonicky.
Andy and Vera Husovsky operated a store on Kossack Street and sold kielbasa.
There was an ice business on Hughes Street across the street from Holy Trinity Church or the first house over the tracks. Ice was sold for ten cents a cut. This store was owned and operated by John Borshick.
A government owned liquor store was in operation on Hughes Street for many years.
M & M Market was located on Owen Street and was operated by the Sholtis family.
Ondish' s operated a store on Church Street.
A. Reiff 's Cash Market was located at 238 Watkins Street in 1933 and still in 1948.
Wienick's operated a store on Simpson Street, and this later became Stack's.
Wolf's Market was owned and operated by Willard Wolf on Hughes Street for many years. Mr. Wolf died Saturday, January 18, 1997. Wolf's Hardware Store was located at 256 Hughes Street and was in operation in 1933. In 1948, the stores were listed as Wolf Stores at 256-258 Hughes Street and were listed as a department store and a store for meats and groceries.
Olenick's was located on Watkins Street.
Pallini's owned a candy store on Shoemaker Street and this later became Innamorati's Sporting Goods Store.
Tillie Piazza owned a grocery store on Oliver Street.
Pitcavages Grocery Store was located on Bohac Street.
Smitty's was located on Owen Street and was a pool room as well as a cigar and candy store.
A. Smith operated a meat and grocery store at 48 Milbre Street in 1928
Spiegel's Grocery Store was on the Back Road or at 949 Main Street and was owned and operated by Maurice Spiegal. The store carried meats and groceries.
Swoyersville Hardware and Supply was located at 323 Hughes Street.
Wartella's Grocery Store was located on the corner of Church and Shoemaker Streets and was later Chimock's Café.
Zachary's Market was located at 347 Main Street in 1948.
Gutch's Store was on the Back road and Chestnut Street and was originally owned by Zachery's. Prior to that it was owned and operated by Mike Ferraro's father. In 1997 Renee's Pizza is at this location.
Jacob Roth owned a store on Hughes Street.
Letzetsky's owned a little store behind the townhall.
Klieman's had a meat and grocery store. Two horses burned in his barn in the 1920's.
O'Donnell's had a grocery store at the location that would later be George's Barber Shop.
Spinicci's Store and Ice Cream Parlor was located at 214 Oliver Street from 1912 to 1970, and the owner was Flindio Spinicci.
Nemetz Bakery 90 Owen Street
George and Theresa Nemetz started the bakery in about 1921 on Hughes Street where Wolf's store was. The bakery was there for the first year or two and then moved to Owen Street. Mr. Nemetz made deliveries until the start of World War II and for many years used horses and a wagon. The horses were destroyed when there was a fire in 1929 in the barn on Owen Street. Mr. Nemetz raise his family while running the business and the whole family helped. His son Edward G. Nemetz later took over the business and afterwards at 24 years of age, Edward's nephew Richard P. Nemetz took over operations. Nut and poppy seed rolls were one of the many specialties of the bakery.
Haduch's Bakery Hughes Street & Bohac Street
George P. & Josephine Haduch owned and operated a bakery first on Hughes Street and then in about 1921 on Bohac Street. At one time they had 7 or 8 trucks on the road and provided rolls, and hamburg and hot dog buns for Harvey's Lake. These were packed by 100's in a box. Mr. Haduch was known for his delicious rye bread. The bakery closed in 1939.
Steve's Bakery Shoemaker Street
Steve and Mary owned and operated Steve's Bakery.
FLORIST AND GREENHOUSES
Gaydos' Greenhouse Stephen and Helen Gaydos are the owners and operators of Gaydos' Greenhouses located on Frederick Street.
Early 1900's John M. Moser conducted a florist business for 25 years at 211 Simpson Street and he died on June 20, 1949. He had been in the flower business for 50 years.
Kolesar's Greenhouse was started by John "Jack" Kolesar at 278 Tripp Street in 1954. It is a family owned and operated business which has 8,000 square feet of space and specializes in various types of flowers, herbs and garden supplies.
Welliver's Florist & Greenhouse was located on Shoemaker Street where the American Legion currently is located. Flowers were raised and there was a big heating plant. A part of the American Legion building is originally from this building. Mr. Kantor actually owned the greenhouses. The home was purchased by the Legion in 1949.
Y & M Florists and Greenhouses was a business operated by the Yurko and Matushek families from 484 Church Street.
1933 Hughes Street Tailoring was located at 62 Hughes Street and was opened for business in 1933.
1948 John P. Olenick opened a tailor shop at 329 Hughes Street in the Maltby section of Swoyersville. It was the first tailor shop in this area in many years.
1947 Baron Brother's established a business on Hemlock Street and were retail dealers in seafood. They later established a restaurant. The business closed in the 1990's.
MANUFACTURING AND OTHER INDUSTRIES
1887 The Sax Patent Car Wheel Foundry was destroyed by fire in May 1887 with a loss of approximately $3000.00.
1877 The Pittston Arms Company was located in what was then known as Strumersville.
1913 The Maltby Silk Mill began operations on September 29, 1913.
1926 The Mathers Construction Company was established with offices and storage in Trucksville. In 1941 it was located on Sly Street in a one story concrete building 40x60 and a three story 40x60 slat structure.
The Fashion Silk Mill was located on Simpson Street.
1933 Synder Silk Mill was located on Noyes Avenue.
Luvan Silk Mill was located on Shoemaker Street and closed about 1930.
1934 The United Pants Company was established in the old Luvan Silk Mill on Shoemaker and Simpson Streets. It moved here from Old River Road in Wilkes-Barre and the owners were Joseph, Frank and Samuel Grasso. Mr. Grasso started the business in 1929. In December, 1935 it employed 650 people and in 1940 it employed 500 people. The company did government work and made uniforms and winter coats. It also made pants, trousers and jackets. The business closed in March of 1987.
1940 The General Pants Co. employed 12 people.
1948 Swoyer-Lee Apparel Company had 50 employees and was located at204 Oliver Street.
1948 Spinicci's Service Center was located at 305 Main Street and offered body and fender repairs, electrical appliances, radio, refrigerator and general auto repairs along with gas, oil, tires, batteries, and accessories.
1948 John Siracuse offered trucking of Harry E. Coal.
1948 Bieley's Photo Shop at 219 Hughes Street offered commercial photography with their specialty being wedding albums.
1948 Kozlek Service Station at 214 Hughes Street sold pure oil products.
1949 The Slocum Dress Company opened in December of 1949 in the old Brodericks Fire Department Recreation Hall with 12 employees. They manufactured moderately priced dresses.
1950 Fortune Fabric's, Inc. at 315 Simpson Street was chartered with a capital of 30,000. The incorporator's were Robert, Shirley and Charles Fortinsky.
West Side Rug Company was located on Church Street and the company cleaned and repaired carpets.
Auron Upholstery was located on 336 Owen Street in 1933.
1927 Baut Studios are located at 1095 Main Street and employ stained glass craftsmen who design windows for buildings and churches. They also do historical restorations and design and create sculptures. Guildman Jacob Baut immigrated from Austria-Hungary to Plymouth, and he made stained glass windows for many local churches and homes. His son Stanley originally wanted to be a dentist, but he soon became an apprentice in the business. Stanley Baut started the Baut Studio in 1927. Stanley's sons, Eugene and Harry also became part of the business and were known for their high quality work. In 1997 the business is managed by the fourth generation of Baut children consisting of Gerhard F. Baut, Heidi Baut Cebrick, and Karen Baut Klemm.
John J. Borsik sold coal and ice at 101 Hughes Street in 1948.
Bayo's Ice Co. is located at 409 Shoemaker Street and provides both bags and blocks of ice for commercial or residential use.
Concrete Block Works was located on Slocum Street.
Coopers Sporting Center was located at 218 Dana Street.
Eddie's Repair shop was operated by Eddie Napierski from 465 Church Street.
Leonard's Dairy was owned and operated by Frank Leonard. Whenever a family in Swoyersville had a death or a funeral, Mr. Leonard often delivered milk, cream, eggs, and butter to the family.
B. F. Gavlick was a building contractor at 202 Watkins Street in 1948.
Steve Gavlick owned and operated a jewelry store on the corner of Watkins and McHale Street.
Goldee sold milk and was located at 286 Shoemaker Street. A free quart of milk was given to prospective customers. He delivered the milk to your door daily. Goldees also sold wholesale candy and other things.
Handy Shoe Repair Shop was located on the corner of Watkins and Shoemaker Streets in 1933.
J. Haebich of 237 Slocum Street did "Paperhanging" in 1933.
Innamorati's Sporting Goods Store was located at 419 Shoemaker Street and was owned and operated by Chester and Lottie Innamorati. They sold hunting and fishing supplies.
Jencsik Electric Shoe Repairing Shop was located at 294 Hughes Street in 1933.
Joe June owned a shoe repair shop for many years on the Back Road also known as Main Street.
Emery Yablonicky owned and operated a shoe repair shop at 94 Hughes Street, and his wife was a midwife.
Thomas F. Lavelle of 319 Shoemaker street advertised " COAL - WOOD - MOVING " and NRA in 1933.
A substation of the Luzerne County Gas & Electric Corporation is located on Main Street. This station furnishes power and light for most of the towns and boroughs on the west side.
Sun Insurance Office was operated by Casimir Sieminski from 80 Watkins Street in 1933.
John A. Kazimer was a contractor and builder located at 149 Shoemaker Street.
Swoyersville Printery was located at 278 Tripp Street in 1933 and was operated by the Kolesar's.
Swoyersville Radio Service Company was operated by J. E. Saxon in 1933 from 299 Tener Street.
Vanity Shoppe was located at 63 Watkins Street and Catherine Kasmerski was the proprietor in 1933.
Wilkes-Barre Iron & Wire Works was located by the Lehigh Valley train tracks near the Luzerne border.
TAVERNS / LICENSED SALOONS
1874-91 John Palmer operated the first tavern on Main Street. This was located next to Feldman's Store in 1944. James McQuade, John Moore, James Buckalew, and Thomas O'Malley were early tavern keepers in the Maltby area.
Alba's Café was located at 193 Oliver Street with Wilma Vitali as the owner.
Alex Café was located at 210 Owen Street in 1948.
Ann's Café is located on Hughes Street.
Anntenitis' Bar was located on the corner of Chestnut and Main Streets.
The Blue Garden was located on Main Street near the Harry E. Colliery.
Jacob Burnat operated a wine and liquor business in the Maltby section near Shanky's. The liquor came in 50 gallon barrels and was the sold. His son was a teacher in the Swoyersville School system.
Chimock's Café was located on the corner of Shoemaker and Church Streets and was formerly owned by the Scripps.
Coniglio's Bar was located on Sidney Street.
The Coral Lounge is located on the corner of Owen Street and Noyes Avenue.
Dorish's at 401-403 Main Street has been owned and operated by John Dorish since October of 1940. The bar was originally owned by Eslicks' in the 1800's, then by Wheeler's, Musylinski's and then by John Dorish. When the mines were working and for many years, Dorish's was opened 17 hours a day from 7 am until 2 am. Family members helped with the business and did the cooking. Friday and Saturday were seafood nights and lobster dinners were 45 cents when lobster could be bought for 20 cents a pound. Shrimp was bought for 15 cents a pound and was sold a dozen for 10 cents.
Findora's was located in the Maltby section of Swoyersville.
1933 Forum Café was located at 375 Main Street with Peter Wilchinski as the proprietor.
George's and Tony's Café was located at 341 Main Street and in operation in 1933. Tony Ferraro was one of the owners. This café later became Anntenitis'.
Golumbasky's Beer Garden was located at 347 Dana Street and featured clams and barbecues and "Lockport" beer on tap.
Golis's Café was located at 150 Simpson Street and featured "FUN-EATS-DANCING". It was operating in 1933.
John Gorda's Beer Garden was located on the corner of Church and Dana Streets. He served clams, crabs, seafood and other dinners.
Hurley's Saloon is located on Slocum Street.
James' Café was located at 409 Shoemaker Street which is now the site of Bayo's Café. There was a dining room in the back and ladies entrance. They served excellent lobster tail dinners. In 1948 they offered music for dancing every Friday and Saturday night.
Carl Karmilowicz's Bar was located on Sidney Street. This bar was originally known as Wanda's.
Le Foof's is located on Dana Street and is operated by "Foof" Gonglefski.
Lipet's Café was on the corner of Main and Owen Streets.
Marty's was a beer garden on Talcott Street between Maltby and Lackawanna Avenues. It was operated by Marty Muha. He sold penny candy to the kids and Duquense Beer to the miners.
Medvec's Café was located at 320 Hughes Street in 1948 and served light lunches and seafood with a choice of wines and liquors. Shuffleboard was also available.
O'Malley's Hall was located on the Back Road and Owen Streets and was a three-story hotel and hall owned and operated by Thomas J. O'Malley. It's grand opening was December 16, 1895 and for many years social, union, club meeting and Saturday night dances were held here.
Opsitos' Café is located on Slocum Street.
Leo Orlandini owned and operated a bar on Shoemaker Street that was originally Fanti's grocery store.
Pottsy's was located on Bohac Street. This bar was owned and operated by two sisters Helen Pitcavage and Stella Shendock.
The Red Barn was located on the corner of Filbert and Sidney Streets and was operated by the Coniglio family.
Rosenfeld's operated a liquor business and a shoe and dry good store. Two of their daughters were teachers in the Swoyersville School system.
Rutkowski's Bar and Hall was located on Shoemaker Street.
Russin's Café was located on the corner of Church and Slocum Streets with the address being 347 Slocum Street. The proprietors were Mike and Nellie Russin, and they operated the business from 1958 to 1976.
Shanky's Café is located at 244 Hughes Street. Steve and Marie Adamchak are the proprietors.
Sid's Café is located on Slocum Street. This café is owned by the son of the owners of Tirpak's.
Stack's was located on Simpson Street. This was owned and operated by Frank and Virginia Stack.
Stascak's Café is located at 1011 Main Street. Mamie Scripp was the first owner.
Stanley's Tavern was located at 246 Watkins Street and in February of 1943 was under the new management of Joseph Furino and Joseph "Romona" Ostroski.
Tirpak's Bar was located on the corner of Slocum and Main Streets.
Volack's Bar was located on Watkins Street and was originally owned by Michael and Anastasia Volak. Michael was killed in the mines in 1942. The bar continued to be operated by his wife and was later owned and operated by Eddie and Mary Ann Volak. It was located at 187 Watkins Street. It was hard hit during the 1972 Agnes Flood and was remodeled by Edward T. Proleika, Jr. and John F. Gowisnock of Watkins Street installed the carpet. A two day grand opening was held in December of 1972. A pig roast was the main feast, and music was provided by Val Gavlick on the SoloVox, Roky Nawrocki on the accordion and Leo Gavlick on the base. Hurley's later bought the bar, and it was destroyed by fire and the land was sold.
Wallace's Bar was located on Kossack Street and was owned and operated by Jack Wallace who was also a school teacher.
Knobby Walsh's was located on Slocum Street.
Wanda's Café is located on the corner of Wesley and Simpson Streets.
Washko's Bar was located on Hughes Street and was operated by Charlie Washko. Wheeler's owned and operated by George Wheeler was located on Main Street. George Wheeler's mother operated Dorish's after Eslick's .
BARBER SHOPS AND BEAUTY SALONS
Roman's Barber Shop This shop was located at 115 Shoemaker Street and was operating in the 1930's. John Roman was the proprietor.
George's Barber Shop Paul George has been cutting hair since the early 1940's. His shop was originally behind what is now the Family Market on Shoemaker and Murray Street. The shop is now located on the corner of Shoemaker and Simpson Streets with the address being 135 Shoemaker Street.
Perhach's Barber Shop Perhach's Barber Shop was located on Kossack Street.
Schultz's Barber Shop This shop was located on Hughes Street.
Chiazza's Hair Designs Chiazza's is located at 7 Main & Birch Drive and is a second generation hair salon. They have been serving the West Side Community since 1958.
Florence "Flossie" Kozokas operated a beauty salon at 52 Barber Street.
Teresa Gonglefski operated a beauty shop on Watkins Street and later at 21 Sidney Street.
Edwards' Service Station was a business started by Palmer Edwards in 1940 at the corner of Slocum and Church Streets.
Hospodar's operated a full service garage and repair shop at 260 Shoemaker Street.
Kozlek's Service Station was located at 214 Hughes Street and was in operation in 1933 and still in 1948.
Rich's Mobil Service Station is located at 655 Main and Shoemaker Streets and is owned and operated by Richard Stefanides.
Spinicci's Garage was located at 305 Main Street from 1936 to 1970 and the owners were Bruno, Alfie and Anio Spinicci. Bottle Gas was sold from 1947 to 1964.
BUSINESSES OPERATING IN 1996 AND 1997
All Door Sales 1109 Main Street
Aristocrat Printing Owen Street
Arrow Steel 1067 Main Street
Baut Studios Inc. 1095 Main Street
B & B Auto Repairs 305 Main Street
Bennetto Auto Repairs 1065 Main Street
Bingo's Market 489 Slocum Street
Body McCannix 170 Slocum Street
Boylan's 347 Slocum Street
Bayo's Café 409 Shoemaker Street
Bayo's Ice Co. 409 Shoemaker Street
Borino's OK Tire Inc. 1110 Main Street
Brady, John P., MD 1212 Main Street
Brooks Mary Ann Classic Hair Design 325 Owen Street
Chiazza Hair Styling Salon 7 Birch Drive
Cindy's Boutique Church Street
Cold Cut Catering, Inc. 110 Warsaw Street
Colt Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Main Street
Coral Lounge 245 Owen Street
Cornucopia Pizza 1210 Main Street
Dan's Car Care Center 1155 Main Street
Dave's Auto Repair 105 Chestnut Street
Denison Cemetery 85 Denison Street
Diva's Design 332 Hughes Street
Doll House Ceramic Studio 40 Bohac Street
Dorish's 403 Main Street
Duraclean Rug & Upholstery Cleaners 67 Hemlock Street
Durland's Auto Body Repair Shop 34 Church Street
E. & M. Auto Body Service 304 Shoemaker Street
Edward's Garage & Service Station 350 Slocum Street
Evans, Gregory T. DPM, Podiatry 1212 Main Street
Fortune Fabrics, Inc. 315 Simpson Street
Gawlas Sports Photography 77 Filbert Street
George's Barber Shop 135 Shoemaker Street
Gaydos' Greenhouses Frederick Street
Green Machine Lawn Service 5 Bond Street
Federici Lawn Service 315 Tener Street
Halftime Lounge 189 Simpson Street
Heck's Tap Room 1238 Main Street
Hi-Q Television 228 Hughes Street
Home Town Video Main Street
Hospodar's Garage & General Repair 260 Shoemaker Street
Hurley's Saloon 265 Slocum Street
June's Shoe Repair Corner of Dennison & Lackawanna Avenue
Keystone Concrete, Inc. 183 Owen Street
Kimberly's Floral 484 Church Street
King Glass & Paint Co. 1079 Main Street
Kindred's Garage 51 Warsaw Street
Kolesar's Greenhouse 278 Tripp Street
Lehman & Gregory Funeral Home 281 Chapel Street
Luzerne National Bank, Swoyersville Branch 801 Main Street
Maltby Drug Store Corner of Main and SteepleChase
Marsh's School of Karate 1047 Main Street
Martin's Candy & Cake Supplies 198 Simpson Street
Mike Guido's Auto Body 350 Slocum Street
Miracle Man Auto Sales 1218 Main Street
Mullay's Market 1227 Main Street
Music Box Dinner Playhouse 196 Hughes Street
Nemetz Bakery 90 Owen Street
Norman & Paul's Auto Body Rear 1205 Main Street
Obsitos' Café 503 Slocum Street
O'Hara's Chem Dry 36 Sycamore Drive
Oscar Smith Company 8 Spruce Street
Padavan Mike Dry Wall 107 Diamond Street
Photography by Jay 260 Hughes Street
Pisaneschi Motors Inc., The Body Shop 1114 Main Street
Rainbow's End 319 Main Street
Renee's Pizza & Subs 347 Main Street
Rich's Mobil Service 655 Main Street
Ro-Pam Shop 513 Church Street
R & W Hobbies, Inc. 430 Shoemaker Street
Salek, Opticians 1200 Main Street
Shanky's Bar 244 Hughes Street
Sid's Bar Slocum Street
Slocum Electronics 518 Slocum Street
Stascak's Café 1011 Main Street
Swoyersville Medical Center 1212 Main Street
Times Printing, Inc. 1209 Main Street
Tom's Transmission Service 1061 Main Street
Tots Are Us Day Care 119 Hughes Street
Transcription Associates 6 Avenue B
Usefara Construction Company 9 Scott Street
Valley Outboard 1213 Main Street
Varsity Lawncare/Susquehanna Nursery 1204 Main Street
Wanda's Wesley and Simpson Streets
West Side Rug Co. 477 Church Street
Wyoming Valley Prosthetics & Orthotics (WVPO) 300 Avenue A
Yuhas James A. Landscape Contractor 946 Main Street
Read more in Part 2.
The History And Our Memories Of Swoyersville Borough was compiled by Mary Beth Siracuse in 1997 and 1998 from personal stories, newspaper accounts, and personal interviews.
No page connected with this site shall be copied without prior written approval of the author.
Copyright © 1998 by Pat Krivak