Sugar Notch Borough
Was taken from Hanover township territory and became an incorporated borough April 3, 1867. The charter included the two former hamlets or mining towns Sugar Notch and Warrior's Run. The latter was about two miles west of Sugar Notch, on the Warrior path. The industry of the place is mining coal. The borough, therefore, is long in the waist and has two post offices to keep up competition, it is supposed. A pretty place clinging along the mountain side, originally attracting people as a good place to make sugar from the maple trees in the vicinity. Without the saying, this industry gave the name to the place. George H. Parish was the first burgess. The first council: H.B. Plumb, David Caird, Samuel Roberts, Adam Schiedel and George Cyphus; David Caird, president; and Austin Gallagher, clerk.
The Sugar Notch shaft was sunk in 1866, and the new breaker commenced operations. Then the growth was rapid. The Lehigh valley and the New Jersey Central railroads passed through the place, and it became an important shipping coal point. No. 9 of the Lehigh & Wilkes- Barre Coal company and the Hartford mines are located here, and the New Jersey breaker No. 2 on the formerly Knock property, that was sold to the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre company. The Germania company opened a mine in 1864, about half mile east of the Harford on the "Back track" of the Lehigh valley road. The mines at Warrior Run were opened in 1837, on the George Crocker land, by Holland & Hillman, but after three or four years the mines were abandoned no transportation. This was the old Blackman homestead. The post office name is Peely. The clever burgess of Sugar Notch, A.B. Caffrey, says he has but slight acquaintance of the Warrior Run end of the borough.
The two ends of the long, slim borough are undermined, but there are no fears of "cave in" because of the great solid rock roof that overlies the coal beds. In the borough are 10 hotels and restaurants, 6 general stores, 5 small fancy stores.
The post office was for years kept in the Sugar Notch end in the company's store. In 1885 Peter Riley, who had lost his eyes in the mines, was appointed postmaster and moved it to the building where it is now kept. Sugar Notch is supplied with water by the Hanover Water company; chartered in 1887.
Since the foot of the mountain has been undermined, all the wells and springs have dried and now the water flows out through the mines. This caused the building of the present reservoir and conducting water by pipes.Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Sarah.
© 1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb