Is one of the small townships in surface area; is rugged and mountainous. Stewart Pearce in his Annals says of it:
"Slocum township was separated from Newport in 1854, and was named in honor of Joseph Slocum, Esq., late of Wilkes-Barre. The first settlement in Slocum was made by two brothers, named Lutsey, about the year 1785, at what is known as the Lutsey settlement. They were great hunters, and the mountains abounding in game, their location was peculiarly suited to their love of adventure.
Its area is sixteen square miles, one-fifth of which is cleared land. It is a mountainous section of country; but rye, corn, oats and buckwheat do well. The timber is mainly oak and hemlock.
This township contains two sawmills and two stores, but has no gristmill, no church and no tavern."
In 1870 it has a population of 317; in 1880, 377 and in 1890, 409. Its entire population is agricultural.
John Lutsey settled in the township about 1785 near William Lutsey's His sons, William, Henry and Joseph, came with him. William Lutsey, grandson of John Lutsey, lived in the township to an advanced age. The Lutseys were soon followed by others, and in 1799 the following persons were rated as taxables in the township, then Newport, viz.: John Alden, John Lutsey, James Millage, Jacob Mullen, James Mullen, James Mullen, Jr., Henry Fritz and Jeremiah Vandermark. Soon after the year 1800, Ira Winters, John Ogin, Jacob Weiss, Jacob Paine, Richard Pain, Jacob Finks, John Rosencrans, one Fredericks and one Delemater moved into the township.
The early settlers were compelled to go to Newport and Wapwallopen to do their trading and milling, going one day and returning the next. In many cases the men were compelled to carry the grain on their backs. A sawmill was built by John Rosencrans about 1836. Since that time there have been several small water-mills, and one steam mill, owned by Aaron Boyd. There are no mills in operation in the township at the present time.
Slocum Village - Silas Alexander opened a small store near Mr. Stackhouse's about 1848. This was the first store in the place. Mr. Alexander was followed in a few years by B. Lear, who moved into the town from Bucks county. He was followed by P. J. Myers, who kept the only store. At an early day a postoffice, called Lutsey, was established with John Rosencranz as postmaster. The name of the office was afterward changed to Slocum. Mails were formerly brought from Nescopeck once a week.
A building was erected just below the residence of P. J. Myers, Esq., in 1838, to be used as a meeting and schoolhouse. Mr. Myers gave the lot. John Rosencrans was the first teacher, and many of the older people speak of that as the first school they ever attended.
The first frame house was built by William Lutsey about 1837. Hiram Rosencrans was the first blacksmith. B. Lear is the only one in the township now.
The land for the cemetery was left to the town by John Ogin in his will. His wife was the first person buried in Slocum township. She died about 1836, and was buried on a knoll west of the cemetery; but Mr. Ogin, not liking the location, had her body removed to the present site, where he was himself buried in 1844, being the second person to be buried in the cemetery.
Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Deb Horton.
© 1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb