HISTORY OF LUZERNE LACKAWANNA and WYOMING COUNTIES
This township was formed in January 1842 from Union and Lehman, and named in honor of General William S Ross, then one of the judges of the county. The township has an area of about forty-six square miles, and a population of 1,053 (1880) against 990 in 1870.
Justices of the peace for this township have been elected as follows: John A Hess 1843; Philip Callender, 1855; George A Crocket 1845, 1850; John Blanchard 1850, 1855, 1860; Sylvester White 1860; A.W. Wilkinson, 1856; James Crockett 1865, 1870, 1875; H.C. Harvey 1870; Ira Rood II 1875.
As early as 1795 Abram Kitchen from Connecticut, located on the farm now occupied by James Crockett, onABroadway;@ made considerable improvements, in 1795 setting out an orchard, some of the trees of which are still standing.
In 1808 Francis Irvin from Connecticut, located in the south part of the township. He had the first horse team in Ross. Paul Wolf located in the south part of Ross in 1806. Timothy, Aaron, and Jacob Meeker settled west of Grassy pond about 1796, and in 1800 sold to G.M. Pringle and Hiram Berth.
Daniel Devore, who came to this township in 1793, is still living, aged one hundred and four years. Farming was his occupation while in active business.
The pioneer store was kept by Alvin Wilkinson in 1835 at Bloomingdale, and Josiah Ruggles was the pioneer merchant and first postmaster at Sweet Valley.
The first school-house was built in 1820. Joseph Moss [@Little Joe@] and Anna Turner were the pioneer teachers, Mr. Moss teaching the first winter and Miss Turner the first summer school.
Years ago Mr. George A Crockett while plowing his garden, struck a large flat stone covering a walled up grave, containing bones supposed to be those of an Indian. Another grave was found a few years ago, near North pond, in which were the bones of an Indian whom Mr. L.T. Myers told Nathaniel Goss that he killed. While out hunting he was chased by Indians into a swamp near North pond, shot and wounded one of them, but was captured and compelled to assist in carrying the wounded Indian to about the spot where this grave was found. One of the Indians was left in charge of Myers and the wounded man. The second night the wounded Indian died, and Myers escaped and returned to his family.
In former accounts of Indian tragedies it is reported that Philip Goss was killed near Wapwallopen by the Indians. In conversation with the Goss family, now living in Fairmount, it was learned that it was David Goss instead of Philip who was so killed, and they authorize this correction.
Archibald Berth was a patriot soldier in the Revolutionary war, after escaping from the British service. He settled in Ross in 1800, died in 1820, and was buried in the Arnold burying ground in Union Township.
John Wandel who located in the south part of this township about 1800 was also a soldier of the Revolution and was present at the surrender of Burgoyne. He has descendants still living in this township.
Benjamin Franklin Wesley was a volunteer soldier and sailor of the war of 1812. He was taken prisoner at Queenstown. He died in Ross in 1830 leaving a number of descendants in this township.
Ebenezer Wilkinson, late of Ross township was one of the volunteers of the war of 1812. Some of his classmates still reside here.
As near as can be ascertained the following list comprises the soldiers representing the town of Ross in the war of the Rebellion:
Col. R.P. Crockett
Captain James Davenport
George W Holmes, killed
William Thompson, died in service
W.F. White, killed
Henry White, died in service
Alonzo F White, wounded
Charles Wesley, killed
Weston D Millard, killed
James Nevil, lost an arm
Jacob Nevil, killed
Webster Long, killed
Samuel P Wandel
C. Moore, wounded in eye
Warren Mott, killed
George Moore, killed
Morris Hatten, wounded
Aaron Freeman, wounded
Institutions of To-Day
At Bloomingdale there are a store, a post-office, a schoolhouse, an Methodist Episcopal Church, a saw mill, a blacksmith shop, and about 75 inhabitants. At Sweet Valley there are a store and a post-office, aAChristian@ church, a blacksmith shop, a saw-mill, a school house about 75 inhabitants. At what is known as Broadway there area church AChristian@, a school house, a shoe shop, and a few dwellings.
There are in the township seven school houses, in each of which school is kept six months in each year. Farming is carried on to some extent in the south part of the township and the most extensive farm is that of G.A. Crocket & Sons who have over three hundred acres on which are large apple and pear orchards, and a large vineyard.
Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Linda.
© 1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb