HISTORY OF LARKSVILLE BOROUGH
Larksville was incorporated as a Borough on November 10, 1909 and was formerly a part of Plymouth Township. At one time it was known as Blindtown. On her 85th birthday, Mrs. Rachel Pace had the name changed to Larksville, in honor of her ancestor Peggy Lark who had once lived there.
Plymouth and Larksville were once called Sawmilltown, also Babylon because of the many languages that were spoken by the people.
Larksville Borough is located close to the center of population in Luzerne County, adjoining the northwestern bank of the Susquehanna River, south of Kingston Borough. The northern boundary of Plymouth Township, now Larksville area, begins at a bunch of walnuts on the riverbank and runs 33° west. This was set in 1773. Larksville is bordered by the surrounding towns of Courtdale, Plymouth Borough, Edwardsville and Jackson Township.
Larksville contains 4.73 miles and is the largest Borough on the West Side Regional Area which includes Courtdale, Edwardsville, Forty Fort, Kingston, Larksville, Luzerne, Plymouth, Pringle and Swoyersville. It contained several large coal operations, and much of it shows the effects of the cost of stripping operations. It contains large undeveloped areas, mostly strippings, mountainside, or low-lying areas subject to flooding.
Larksville Borough contains 3,174 acres, or nearly five square miles. Of this total, 2,636 acres are undeveloped, 1, 527 are wooded. Part of this, ninety-two acrews, is the Susquehanna River itself, while culm banks and strippings comprise another 350 acres. Residential uses account for about 166 acres or 31% of the developed area, and 5% of the total area. Commercial uses, including parking, occupy about forty-nine acres or over 12% of the developed area. Of this nearly thirty-six acres comprise the West Side Drive-In Theatre, located along U.S. Route 11. In 1966, industrial land occupied 182 acres in the Borough, or about thirty-four percent of the developed area. This is largely located between Broadway and Main Streets. Public and semi-public uses consist of schools, other public buildings, recreation areas, churches, cemetaries and streets. They constituted 141 acres or over twenty-six percent of the developed area. Of this, streets occupied about 109 acres, and cemetaries and recreation areas are most of the remainder.
Some early landowners in 1928 were William and Regina Bartoszewicz, Thomas Brennan, Joseph Connole, and Thomas and Nellie Pogarty.
There are 5.8 acres of playgrounds existing at present. There are no neighborhood or larger parks in the Borough. There is a 6.9 acre playfield existing close to East State Street, between Howard and Marcy Streets. It was recommended that the 0.4 acre site at the high school be abandoned for recreation purposes, and a new 1.0 acre playground be acquired between Carver and Washington Streets, south of State Street. It is suggested that one neighborhood park be acquired, consisting of 4.6 acres adjoining the existing playfield south of State Street between Nesbitt and Howard Streets.
Water is supplied to Larksville Borough by a private utility company, the Pennsylvania Gas and Water Company and the Huntsville and Ceasetown Dams.
There are no sanitary sewers in Larksville Borough. It is alleged that most sanitary sewage is dumped without treatment into the nine voids by drilled bore holes. This is one of the most serious deterrents to the future development of the Borough. Larksville Borough is expected to install a sanitary sewer collection system in conjunction with the Wyoming Valley Sanitary Authority's proposed sewage disposal plant. This will be an expensive undertaking for the Borough and it is therefore assumed that it will be financed through a local sewer authority and the Borough Council would not be directly involved with the financing. For this reason, it has not been included in the Borough's proposed capital improvement.
The Borough of Larksville has no storm water sewer system. Storm drainage takes place by surface run-off in the streets, or by natural means. The WPA put in rough drainage ditches at the sides of the pavement, but a number of these are too deep and make parking difficult. Much of the surface run-off on the mountainside goes into the stripping areas, becomes acid, and eventually reaches the Susquehanna River. Although some of the drainage of the Borough is towards Toby Creek, most of it drains toward Browns Creek, which traverses Plymouth Borough before it reaches the Susquehanna River.
The Luzerne Electric Division of the United Gas Improvement Company is the sole provider of electric service in the region.
The Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania serves all of the West Side Region and most of Wyoming Valley.
Only a portion of Larksville is served with gas, this coming from the Pennsylvania Gas and Water Company.
In Larksville a private collector picks up refuse once a week from homes and commercial areas, and takes it to the West Side Sanitary Landfill Site.
In 1921, Larksville was the largest municipality in Luzerne County, at least in population. In 1910, Larksville had 9,288 inhabitants and in 1920 the Borough had 9,438 inhabitants. Following is a list of years and population: 1930-9,322, 1940-8,467, 1950-6,360, 1960-4,390 and 1970-3,937.
The population decreased slowly from 1920-19-30, and rapidly thereafter. In 1920, the Borough was the third largest in population on the West Side. By 1960, it had decreased to 4,390, less than half its population of forty years ago, and had dropped in seventh place, exceeding only Pringle and Courtdale. The population dropped 10.3% between 1960 and 1970.
The industry of the Borough has always operated mining property. Larksville was a bustling mine town and the mines had built up the town. Houses were clustered around the colleries. The Colleries were Boston, Loree, Lance, Woodward and No. 4.
When the whistle blew, everyone knew there was a mining emergency or accident. In the event of a strike, the mules that pulled the coal, were put out in the fields.
In 1911, William Toner was on the Board of Examiners, Charles T. Gallagher was Mine Foreman and Charles D. Dare, Jr., was Assistant Mine Foreman, all of the Ninth Anthracite District. In 1916, Edward Struck of the Twelfth Anthracite District was Assistant Mine Foreman and Evan C. Jones was Assistant Mine Foreman of the Thirteenth Anthracite District. All of these men were from the Borough.
Some older businesses included: Freid-Singerman, Lang's Grocery, Levitson's, Frankel's Liquor Store, Bartz Bottling, Snyder Street, Acme, Welsh Hill A&P, George Thomas Butcher Shop, Rosick's, Lark Theatre, Castner's Groceries, Law's Dairy, Moyka's Meats and Groceries, Sophie Senich Meat and Groceries, Brennan's Trinidad Asphalt Company, Larson's Dry Goods, Shimko Restaurant, McGowan's Nickel Movie House, Rohita's Dance Hall and Comerford House, Redmond's Hall,.
Present businesses include: Thomas' Grocery, Lower End Pizza, Ermak's Café, Blaines Café, Charisma Bar, Double R Café, Ponderosa, Strish Funeral Home, Ed's Dairy Bar, Kitchen Cupboard, Bagen's Café, Smith's Café, Roccegrandi's Pizza, Ed's Barber Shop, Robo Care Wash, Larksville Auto Service, Periga Brothers Gas Station, Feggers, Contractors, Gwens Garage, Guein Coal, Joe's Place, Darlene's Beauty Shop, Ron's Sporting Goods, West Side Drive-In, Chorey's, Hurysch's Recreation, Brozowski's, Davis Chevrolet, Lance Used Cars, Reese's Harley Davidson, Glen Bottling Company, Chevitski's, F. C. Norman Manufacturing, Fugok's, Mitchell's Welding, Cheponis' Citgo station, Locket's Car Sales, Sterling Truck Sales, Goodman's Service Station, Sabol's Larksville 66 Service, Lance Tavern, Poor George's Bar and Grill, Edwardsville Fashions, Lark Diner, American Legion Post 655.
The only mayor of the Borough has been John Dubinski.
The 1910 Council included: President Harry Goldberg, Tom Anderson, James Monahan, John Winslow, W.T. Kelly, John Devlin, Christopher Keating, Burgess A. J. Brennan, Secretary Felix Bolowicz, Architect Owen McGlynn, Builder Phil Pebrando.
Other Council members and years are as follows: 1926-28 - President John Sabol, Felix W. Bolowicz, John Mock, Michael Beretsky, (1929) - President Daniel Blaine, Tom Anderson, Michael Beretsky, Ralph Castner, Mr. Oldo, John Sabol, John Mock, (1931) - Daniel Blaine, Michael Beretsky, Ralph Castner, John Mock, (1932) - Joseph Zegaczewski, Michael Beretsky, Ralph Castner, John Mock, John Sabol, Thomas Anderson, Daniel Blaine, (1936) - Chairman John Mock, (1937) - President John Mock, (1934-41) - President Joseph Zegaczewski, (1943) - President Joseph Zegaczewski, John Wright, Nicholas Beretsky, Thomas Anderson, (1946) - President John Wright, John Boyer, Adolph Klucitas, Stan Moyer, Kraynak, Beretsky, Anderson, Wright, (1955) - President Adolph Klucitas, Stan Moyer, Kraynak, Beretsky, Wright, Keating, George Boyer, President John Owens, (1956) - President Stanley Moyer, (1957) - President George Boyer.
Borough Secretaries included Pierce Carey (1926-29), Harry Reese (1930-37), Anthony Bogdon (1938-42), Stephen Zifchak (1943-1956), Andrew Bendick (1956-1958), Joseph Bendick (1958-1970) and Peter Chorey (1970-1976).
Treasurers included William P. Roan (1938), Walter J. Kostrzews (1939-1941), Joseph Karasinski (1942-46) and Stephen Pavlick (1957-1958).
Solicitors included J. Earl Langan (1938-1941), Natalie Skokowski (1942, 1950-1958) and Michael Donahue (1944-49).
Engineers included George Picton (1931), James O. Boyle (1932), Jacob J. Brenner and David Proski (1938-41), Jacob J. Brenner (1942-44), Gilbert G. Jacobosky (1945-58).
Street Commissioners included Joseph Anderson (1930-32), Walter Zegaczewski (1938-41), and Stephen Beretsky (1942-58).
Burgesses included: Michael Fender (1926-37), Andrew P. Suppon (1938-43), Charles Prohaska (1946-1957) and Stanley Moyer (1958).
Tax collector included Leonard Zawodniak and Viola Masmovicz.
Board of Health included: John Hayer, Andrew Kachurak, John Molavich, John Jennings, Andrew Probala (1931), John Hayer, Andrew Probala (1931), John Hayer, Andrew Probala, John Jennings, Andrew Koczurak, Steve Yadinak (1932), Health Officer Joseph Evans (1938-41), Health Officer Joseph Anderson, Andrew Probala, Benjamin McGloskey, John Novak, Michael Korshall, Dr. Charles Netzel (1942), Health Officer Stanley Moyer, Nicholas Javick, George Nash (1944-45), Health Officer Nicholas Javick (1946), George Nash, Lawrence Ancin, Martin Barrett, Michael Korshall (1947-52), Chester Wackiewicz Health Officer (1953-58).
EDUCATION AND SCHOOLS
In 1910 the State Street School replaced a two-room school that was moved across the street facing Murray Street. Mr. James Wright was the janitor of the two-room school. It was used to teach English at night to foreign speaking people. The State Street School was used as an elementary school until 1961 and was destroyed by fire in 1975.
The Sabbath School was established after a meeting of the people on July 1, 1906. Mr. Gregory was unanimously elected Superintendent for six months, Miss Liva Ransom as Assistant Superintendent, Miss Jennie Law as Secretary and Miss Mary Coates as Treasurer. Teachers were Miss Ransome, Mrs. William Coates, Mr. Albert Schrader, Mr. Emory Steele, Mrs. James Werks and Mr. Frank Seely.
In 1910, the Broadway School was a complete school housing students in grades 1-12.
The Welsh Hill or Washington Avenue School had to be redone several times after fires. It is currently being used as an elementary school in the Wyoming Valley West School District.
Other older schools in the Borough included: Larch Street School, Mountain School, Kellar Lane School and Buttonwood School.
School directors had condemned the site of the high school on the Kellar Land. The first high school was to be completed around 1910 or 1911 but was destroyed by a cave-in and fire before completion. In 1925, the building caved and was sloshed to support it. Larksville's High School, a wooden frame structure, was destroyed by fire in 1962. The Washington Avenue School was then converted into a high school, while the elementary students of the Borough went to State Street School until other arrangements could be made.
On July 1, 1966, Larksville Borough was combined with the other eight West Side Boroughs to form the Wyoming Valley West School District which eliminated all the local school districts. The Senior High pupils from Larksville attended class at Plymouth High School. After the Wyoming Valley West jointure, the Washington Avenue School, which had housed junior and senior high pupils after the fire, was converted back into an elementary school.
Plans are now being finished for an elementary school to be built in Larksville under the Wyoming Valley West School District.
The Larksville Alma Mater brings back many memories to the people of Larksville. The words to the Alma Mater are:
Hail, all hail, to dear old Larksville,
Shout aloud the strain.
Hear, oh, hear her sons and daughters
Swell the glad refrain.
Unto thee we gladly render
Homage, love and praise,
Once again in happy union,
Songs to thee we raise.
With our deepest love we'll cherish
They fair honored name,
And the years swift rolling onward,
Shall increase thy fame.
CHORUS: Sing, oh, sing, her praises ever,
Laud her to the skies,
Hail, all hail, to dear old Larksville,
Thus our songs shall rise.
Larksville had a much higher percentage (56.1%) of those 5-34 years of age who were enrolled in school than the average for any of the larger areas compared. Of those enrolled in school, the Borough had a lower percentage in college (5%) than the County - (5.4%) or the State - (6.4%).
D.J. Cray was Supervising Principal in 1910. Joseph J. Larson was principal and teacher of Larksville Borough Schools from 1912-1926.
In 1949, the Larksville Borough School Directors included President John Rebar Jr., Secretary Michael McCann, Treasurer Charles Lyons, Solicitor Edward Hosey, Patrick J. Heffernan, John Stush, Paul Smigelski and Thomas Maher.
Patrolmen for Larksville Borough included Theodore Wolman, Walter Farley, Conrad Strachnik, Edward Zawodniak, John Kotch, Andrew Mutco, August Snyder, Andrew Chewey, Frank Wallace, Stanley Melovitz, Edward Nice, Benjamin Barsh, Michael Wright, Stanley Kiechen, John Yudichak, Barrett, Joseph Sendrick, Joseph Rasimovicz, (1946) Police Civil Service Commission, Marion Piekanski and John Burnott.
Police chiefs included Frank Magalski, George Bialek, Joseph Mock, Stanley Piekanski and Joseph Sendrick.
Assistant Chiefs included George Bialek and Frank Magalski.
Sergeants included Stanley Piekanski, Francis Scott, Edward Nice, and Bill Jenkins.
Constables included Peter Bushinski, Charles Prohaska, George Batory (Desk Clerk).
Officers of the Fire Company in 1910 were President John J. Boney, Vice-President James J. Kilpatrick, Trustee John J. Devlin, and Treasurer James J. Hogan.
Fire Chiefs included William Bonesky, John Butler, Norman Miller and Ray Gimble. William Trosky was Assistant Chief and John Devlin was Honorary Chief.
Truck drivers included: John Harrison, Joseph Mock, William Denner, Michael McGowan, John Hayer Jr., John Carey, Michael Miller, Joseph Harrison, Frank Boyer, Christopher Sheridan, Joseph Leonard, Marvin Scott, Louis Melovitz, Anthony Bogdon, John Blaine, Michael J. Negry, John Wright Jr., George Herbert, Anthony Beretski, John Yosh, Henry Hurysch and Charles Sincavage.
Janitresses included: Mrs. Nellie Mock, Mrs. Joseph Harrison, Mrs. Thomas Layhart, Mrs. Richard Stires, Mrs. Christopher Sheridan, Mrs. Mary Wilkes, Mrs. Anne Brinzo, Mr. John Scott, Mrs. Sara Fenwick, Mrs. Mary Galchefski, and Mrs. Mary Sutter.
In the early days of the fire company, Harry Goldberg, Jim Monahan and John Winslow went to Philadelphia to purchase three horses for #3 Hose Company. The horses were named after the three men. Cost of homes was $300.
St. Casimir's Roman Catholic Church
This church is the first Lithuanian Roman Catholic Church in America. In 1889, when enough funds were raised for a church for the Lithuanian people in the area, Father Burba purchased a plot of land in what was then Plymouth Township, and which later became Larksville Borough. This site, situated on a hill overlooking Plymouth Borough, and all of the surrounding area including the Susquehanna River, was chosen because it was centrally located.
After a great deal of work and hardship, but amid great joy, Mass was celebrated in a new St. Casimir's Church in January, 1891. The cost of the church and rectory, both wooden frame structures, were a bout $16,000.
In 1901, St. Casimir's suffered a great tragedy when the church and rectory were destroyed by fire. For the next nine months the people attended Mass and other devotions in St. John's Church in Larksville while awaiting the construction of their new church.
On September 15, 1902, the new church, an imposing brick structure, and parish house were completed.
Forced to vacate the area because of mine subsidence in 1955, members of St. Casimir's Parish attended Mass in the Shawnee Theater. A fund-raising campaign collected monies for a new church. $15,000 was realized from a mammoth bazaaar held at St. John's Parkway in Larksville.
The new church was built in Hanover Township in 1956. After the old church was razed by a demolition contractor and the ground leveled, the original church property was sold. The site of the church was purchased by Robert Garzalla, who built his home there. Thus with the sale of that property, an era ended in the history of St. Casimir's Parish.
St. Anthony's Slovak Roman Catholic Church
On the highest knoll in the town of Larksville stands St. Anthony's Church, with its high tower reaching up to heaven in constant prayer.
The Slovak people attended St. Stephen's Church in Plymouth and Saints Cyril and Methodius in Pringle until the construction of the church.
It was the spring of 1907 that the Slovak people of Larksville and Edwardsville met and decided to get plans underway for the construction of their own church. The group of men who formed the committee held most of their meetings in Redman's Hall at Larksville Corners, and sometimes in the houses of the members.
On April 15, 1908, the contract was signed. The church was to be completed by November 1, 1908 and the total cost was $10,237.
The building of a new church was no small undertaking for these immigrants. They had only $4,000 loaned to them by Bishop Hoban. The rest of the money was raised by the holding of social affairs and by loans from the founders themselves. Yet, in 1907, a year before the contract had been signed, some of the men had already begun to excavate the foundation in anticipation of the church.
Many hands were extended to help build the new church. The early pioneers and the first parishioners were especially generous. In addition to the contributions of money, the new parish was showered with many gifts.
The church was dedicated by Bishop Michael J. Hoban in 1909, the year Larksville became a Borough.
Full Gospel Church
Reverend Amos Hettesheimer has been the only pastor of this church located on Schraeder Street in Larksville.
Valley View Union Chapel
The first mention of a house of worship was manifested in the Sabbath School Board Meeting held January 14, 1907. Land was donated by Walter Coates. A building committee was appointed for the erection of a building 28 feet by 36 feet with tower for $1960 from foundation up.
At a congregational meeting May 31, 1908 subscriptions were given by about 45 persons totaling $1700. With this encouragement the trustees, consisting of M. Garrah, Albert Kocher, Albert Schraeder, Knight Taylor, Walter Coates, Almond Gregory, Hendirck Gregory, Emory Steele, Robert Law, Frank Seely, James Werks and Henry Sipple arranged with the First National Bank of Edwardsville to furnish the money needed.
In 1935, services were started on the mountain in homes on Palm Sunday. The church was built and dedicated in 1941. The church was renovated in 1957 and 1975. In 1959, the church was incorporated.
New Brooks Memorial Church (Larksville M.E. Church)
Mr. Spangenberg is now minister. The church was built in 1906 with the interior being of golden oak finish with a steel metal ceiling. Total cost was $6,000. Windows were donated by Mr. And Mrs. Thomas L. Lloyd, memory Edward Meredith, Class #12, William Ridler and Alfred Wilson, memory of James and Caroline Devons, Sunday School, James Connelly Sunday School class, Ladies Aid Society, memory Lillian Keating, memory of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Jacquish. L.T.L. Society. The parsonage was built in 1910. Members of the building committee were C.E. Sweet, William Keller, Emory Steel, N. Smith, John Rice, William Jacquish (Contractor). Pastor was C.E. Sweet.
Other churches in Larksville include Union Sunday School (Third and Marcy Streets), Methodist Church (Marcy Street) and St. John's Roman Catholic Church.
Cemetaries in Larksville are St. Casimir's, St. Vincent's, St. Mary's, and Shupp's. Shupp's Cemetary was a reservation of one and one-half acres, set aside by Tim Coleman as a place for public burying.
Larksville has a Borough Hall containing a police department and housing the ambulance and fire truck and is located on East State Street. The old Borough Building is located on First Street.
The Borough has a relatively new fire station with good equipment.
There used to be a Post Office on Wilson Street in Larksville around 1904. The Postmaster was Mr. Thomas. People had to pick up their mail since there was no delivery at the time. Mail for Larksville residents now comes through the Plymouth and Kingston Post Offices.
Plymouth Borough allows Larksville residents to use their Library facilities located on Main Street in Plymouth.
Despite his affliction, which caused progressive hardening of his bones and joints since birth, Benny Hendricks, Larksville's "Stone Boy" maintained a lively interest in athletic activities and world events through the newspapers and radio. He resided on Chesnut Street with his mother, Mrs. Theresa Hendricks. In 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Oblick and Al Beacham originated a drive to purchase a television set for Benny and his mother. Installation of the coaxial cable was made without charge by the Shawnee TV and Appliance Company. After the TV was purchased, the remainder of the money collected was used to purchase a new heating unit for the parlor and a supply of coal for the winter. Other needed household supplies were also purchased for the home. When the television set was delivered and installed, Benny, then 26 years old, sat before it with his eyes aglow and remarked to onlookers that it was the finest Christmas he had ever experienced.
Reverend Anthony J. Sinkevicz
Reverend Anthony J. Sinkevicz served most of his life in St. Casimir's Church, the oldest Lithuanian Roman Catholic parish in the United States. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1916, at the age of 21, by Bishop Michael Hoban after which he entered Catholic University, Washington, for post graduate studies. During his pastorate, the church which had been damaged by mine caving, was rebuilt in 1955 on Delaney Avenue, Lynwood, and a new convent and school were constructed. Reverend Father Sinkevicz also established a parish cemetary at Muhlenburg and embarked a number of young parishioners in the religious life. A Mass marking the 50th anniversary of his ordination was celebrated in St. Casimir's Church in December, 1966.
SECTIONS AND STREETS
Buttonwood - named for the tree.
Welsh Hill - named for the Welsh who used to reside there.
Polk Hollow - supposedly named for a family named Polk or for President Polk.
Pierce Hill - upper part of Nesbitt Street from Broadway to State including First, Second and Third Streets. Named for Pierce family.
Snyder's Corners - named for Garney Snyder, a real estate operator and landowner.
Howard Street-Named for Ezra Howard.
Coxe Street - named for old man Coxe who owned four houses there.
White Wash - The people in this section near Main Street used to whitewash their houses thus giving it the name.
Lowertown - runs from Howard Street toward Edwardsville.
Bladge Hill - present day Thomas and Franklin Streets.
Ross Hill Road - present day Hillside Avenue, Edwardsville. Runs from Main Street over top of area between Church and the Narrows and joining the present day Route 11 on Boston Hill.
Sheridan's Switch - located near LarkMount Manor. Named for the switch of the streetcar tracks.
Boston Tunnel - near Boston Hill.
Fifty Acres - on Larksville Mountain.
Gregtown - across from St. Vincent's Cemetary.
Weavertown - down around Plymouth Mountain.
Sweetheart Spring - located near Gregtown.
Slippery Rocks - located on Larksville Mountain.
Pikes Peak - the upper part of Howard Street.
Blindtown Road, now State Street, was made in 1775. It was an eight rod road (16 1/2 feet) and 132 feet wide. It was supposed to be as straight as the crow flies from Dubinski's to the end of the Borough. In front of Petris', opposite Railroad Street, is a marker which marked the edge of the road.
Howard Street used to run to Church Street before the Coal Company came.
Larksville Borough is traversed by one Federal Highway -U.S. 11. The state legislative routes in Larksville are L.R. 4, 40058, 40096, 40132 and 40136. They consist of Washington, Main, Luzerne and Wilson Streets and Mountain Road. Most of the roads and streets in Larksville are Borough roads, owned and maintained by the Borough government and maintained by general tax money, including liquid fuels.
Larksville Borough was served by trolleycars before they were phased out. The Borough was served by the Wilkes-Barre Transit Company. As of 1976, it is served by the Luzerne County Transportation Authority. Most of the developed areas are covered by the Larksville Bus Route.
Babe Ruth played in Larksville in 1921.
Football Night was held in Shawnee Theater, with Mr. Keating as manager. The aim, more or less, of the two schools (Larksville and Plymouth) on this night was to cheer its respective school on to victory. It was said that the school who cheered the loudest was supposed to have the best chance of winning the game the following day between rivals, Larksville "Green Wave" and Plymouth "Shawnee Indians".
Coach Shimko is well-remembered in Larksville Sports. Stanley Magalsi Sr. filled in as coach during the war (1944-45). Joe (Grog) Grohoski can be remembered as assisting Coach Shimko in many activities of the "Green Wave". Tom Skladany was (All-Scholastic for Wyoming Valley. Ed Skladany went to Carnegie Tech and was All-American. Chester Orseck, in the 1940's, before entering the service, led the Green Wave in basketball and football. "Raisin" Zelinski was one of the linemen that opened up paths on the football field for the "Green Wave". While Andrew Prohaska Jr., was quarterback, the Larksville Green Wave went on to the football championship in 1945. John Martin, center, was stalwarth of that defensive team. Dr. Siegal was with the Chicago Bears. Joe Doyle played football with the Wilkes-Barre Barons.
Troop 245 Larksville Boy Scout Troop
Larksville Boy Scout Troop 245 was formed in 1935 with twenty-five boys and sponsored by Post 655 American Legion. Scoutmaster was Harry A. Kiefer and Assistant was Ed Yarmey. The largest membership was in 1971 with fifty-four boys under the leadership of Charles Brodi, Scoutmaster. The troop has been sponsored by American Legion Post 655 (1935-51), Larksville High School Teachers and American legion (1952-1960), American Legion and Larksville Lions (1961), Larksville Lions (1961-65) and Larksville Volunteer Fire Company (1966-1976). Scoutmasters included Harry Kiefer, Ed Yarmey, Ted Heness, Ralph Heness, James Coburn, John Stush, Joe Kolesar, Joe Nat, James Ellsworth, Charles Brodi and Harold Smith. Assistants included Ed Yarmey, John Stush, Joe Menko, Joseph Mack, Harold Adams, Joseph Yechimovicz, Harold Smith, William Grigas, Robert Lamoreaux, Bob Scott, Joe Yeager Jr., Joe Polkowski, Mark Jaikes, Ray Kon, John Brzozowski, Frank Mazure, Alan Bogdon, and Charles Brodi.
Larksville Lions were chartered in 1958 with Joseph Shymanski as first president.
Other groups include Patriotic Order Sons of America, Redmen, Knights of Golden Eagle, American Legion Post 655, Ladies Auxiliary, Girl Scouts, Rescue Squad and Ambulance Squad.
President Edward Travinski, Guy DiFrancesco, Jack Duda, Pat Gardzalla, Ed Gryskiewicz, Jim Keating, harry Shewan and Mary Lou Miller, Secretary.
Police chief Joe Sendrick, Sergeant Bill Jenkins, Tony Kopko and Michael Petriga.
Bicentinnial Committee of Larksville
Al Long, Chairman; Dorothy Mihalick, Heritage Chairman; Ed Jago, Festival Chairman; Linda Long, Bicentinnial Queen; Bob Magalski, Horizons Chairman
Members include: Patsy Chverha, Alice Gilby, Charlotte Anrott, Marilyn duda, Ben Carpenetti, Bernadine Sweeney, Helen Elko, Ed Gryskiewicz, Julie Shewan, Harry Sewan, Linda Long, Jean Kihalick, Bernadine Brodi, George Kotch, Mayor Dubinski and Edward Oblick.
PROJECTS OF BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE
Fireplug painting - Fall 1975
Money collected at bridge - October 1975
Canvassing of homes - October, November 1975
Presentation of Bicentennial Flag - December 1975
Larksville Bicentennial Ball - February 1976
Bicentennial Parade Court - May 1976
Luzerne County Parade - June 1976
Town Signs - Borough of Larksville (PennDot) - July 1976
History of Larksville Borough
Mr. and Mrs. James Jones, Mrs. Laura Kerschner, Peter Chorey, Edward Oblick, Alvin Smith, Carl Zawatsky, Frank Kapochus, Al Long, Veronica Mihalick, Alan Bogdon, Fred Shupnik, Mayor Dubinski, Ann Nareski, Helen Derwin, Joe Carey, Francis "Duke" Connole, Helen Elko, Frank Mihalick Sr., Wyoming Valley Historical and Geological Society.
Chairman Dorothy Mihalick, Jean Mihalick, Patsy Chverha, Charlotte Arnott, Alice Gilby, Marilyn Duda and Ben Carpenetti.
St. Casimir's Yearbook - Diamond Jubilee 1964
St. Anthony's Yearbook
Larksville Borough Comprehensive Plan Report
1949 Larksville High School Yearbook
A History of Wyoming Valley (Harvey Smith, Vol. V, FB 36, H341J)
Pennsylvania Place Names (Espenshade, FB 3, E977p)
Times Leader The Evening News, December 26, 1952
West Side Regional Area Recreation Report 1965
Submitted by: Diane
© 1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb