HUNLOCK TOWNSHIPIs but fifteen years old, being organized January 8, 1877; taken from Union and Plymouth townships, at the time of its formation containing a population of 759, which in 1890 increased to 881. When first known there were friendly and peaceable Indians inhabiting in their way the foothills and had small patches in the narrow valley which they cultivated. The first settler was a man named Boggs, who located on the Abram Van Horn place, built his log cabin and cleared a small patch and lived there some years. Boggs joined the Revolutionary army and it is supposed he was away from home when his family was driven away or massacred by the Indians. All known is that the place reverted to the desert, that this family found it and the marks of their being once there were in the scattered ruins of their home. It is said that the friendly Indians who were neighbors of the Boggses shared their fate—driven off or massacred. Jonathan Hunlock, from whom the township gets its name, and Edward Blanchard settled prior to 1778 at the mouth of the creek. They were without families and returned to their old homes, about1790. Soon after Fredrick Croop settled near the river and opened the I. Davenport farm. About the same time came John Croop and the numerous family, of Sorbers and settled back of the mountain and up the cree, a mile or more from the mouth, where Hiram Croop’s mills were built. Philip Sorber, son of Jacob, made his improvement a mile still further up the creek. These two families—Sorber and Croops—were mill men and built the sawmills and sawed out much of the lumber, cutting the larger part of their timber in their vicinity. Other German families followed the Sorbers and Croops, coming across from the upper Delaware, as the Millers, Cases, Davenports, Cragles, Deits and Braders. These made good and thrifty citizens—noted for their industry and sobriety. In 1707 Joseph Dodson moved into the settlement, from the adjoiningPlymouth settlement. He had married Susanna Benner, daughter of Joshua Bennet. His son Joseph B. Dodson, was born on the old place where he resided all his long life-and aged and repected citizen and the survivor of his family. Samuel Dodson and his brother-in-law Isaac Van Horn were pioneers and good citizens.
A smelting furnace was built in 1857 near the mouth of the creek by William Koons. That once promising industry passed away when the canal came, bringing iron from the iron points. Nothing now marks the place of the old forge. Fredrick Hartman built his flouring mill in 1843, on the creek about three miles up. Ransom Monroe owned and operated it many years. Leonard Ritchie built his saw and feedmill about four miles up the creek in 1850. George Gregory in 1857 bought Pritchard’s mill and rebuilt and enlarged it the next year, with his brother Benjamin Gregory. In 1869 Jacob Rice built his feed and chopping mill about one mile from the mouth of the creek. Ransom Pringle became the leading merchant and for many years carried on his store near the railroad station. Hiram Croop had his store near Croop’s mills, other traders being Darius Whitsell and Alexander Dodson
Hunlock Creek in a station on the railroad, where are two hotels and one general store.
Roaring Brook was once a postoffice, which was removed to the north part of the township; here is a country store and church.
Gregory is a postoffice and a tollgate on the turnpike; a gristmill and an extensive stone quarry.Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Carol Wandel.
© 1997-2011 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb