First Forty Settlers of Forty Fort
Asabel Atherton, Ezra Belding, Thomas Bennet, Silas Bingham, Richard Brockway, Elijah Buck, William Buck, John Comstock, Reuben Davis, Jonathan Dean, Nathan Denison, Simson Draper, Thomas Dyer, Vine Elderkin, Benjamin Follett, Joseph Frink, Stephen Gardner, Samuel Gaylord, Joshua Hall, Stephen Harding, Peter Harris, Zerubabel Jearum, John Jenkins, Stephen Jenkins, Cyprian Lothrop, Timothy Pierce, Benajah Pendleton (or Pembleton), Elias Roberts, Benjamin Shoemaker, Sr., Elijah Shoemaker, Oliver Smith, Timothy Smith, Henry Dow Tripp, Isaac Tripp, Rudolph Brink Vanorman, William Walsworth, Theophilus Westover, Allen Wightman, Benjamin Yale, Job Yale
Places of Interest in Forty Fort
The Old Burying Ground--Now part of the Forty Fort Cemetery. It is the area between the cemetery office and the Meetinghouse.
The Old Meeting House- One of the few churches in America whose interior remains practically unchanged. Located at the northern end of River Street, opposite the Forty Fort Borough Building.
Denison House, the oldest house in Forty Fort. Presently owned by the Pennsylvania State Historical Society. Located on Denison Street.
George Shoemaker House--Wyoming Avenue south of Dana Street. Presently the Snowden-Frederick Funeral Home.
Shoemaker House--"ELM LAWN" on the east side of Wyoming Avenue across from the Wyoming Seminary Day School. Built between 1820-1824, by Elijah Shoemaker who was an infant in the old fort during the massacre of 1778.
Space House at 117 River Street was built by James Space in 1840.
Poole House on the east side of Wyoming Avenue opposite Oak Street. It stood under the old oak tree known in early days as "The Great Oak."
Maltby House below Rose Street at 1720 Wyoming Avenue was the home of Caleb Maltby, the first man to engage in the modern coal industry in Kingston Township.Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Liz .
© 1997-2011 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb