This place laps so closely on to Kingston that it is very difficult for the stranger to know when he is in one or the other place; the line is simply one of the prominent streets. The town is the product of the collieries that are within its lines and closely adjacent. Its people are mostly miners and their families, and these mines were developed and are now operated by the Kingston Coal Company. The population is estimated at nearly 4, 000. The borough has both steam and electric railway service. The postoffice name is Edwardsdale. The place was incorporated June 16, 1884. The first burgess and justice of the peace was Fred Williams. Council: James Curry, president; Herbert S. Jones, secretary; John Vahley, treasurer; Jacob Linn, John Lohman, David Baird; constable, Walter E. Davis.
Present officers: Rees M. Davis, burgess; council: H.C. Howells, president; John R. Price, secretary; William P. Evans, treasurer: John Lohman, John Armstrong, Gwylym P. Evans, George W. Edwards, William Cook; assessor, Hugh Jones; collector, James Armstrong.
Business: Two blacksmiths, one carpet weaver, one cigar factory, four confectioners, nine dressmakers, two druggists, seven general stores, fifteen grocers, one hardware, one hotel, two meat markets, one stove and tinware store, two undertakers.Back to Town Histories
This Town History was donated by Cathy Ailstock .
© 1997-2010 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors
Back To Luzerne Genweb