WW2 Articles of Interest


Aug. 15, 1944

Riverside Church in New York, under the auspices of Rev. Harry Fosdick, was recently the scene of a very pretty wedding when Charlotte G. Booth of Philadelphia, daughter of Mrs. E. M. Booth of Broadway, became the bride of Lt. (jg) David F. Fenn, U.S.N.R., son of Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Fenn, of San Diego, California.

Mrs. Fennís costume was blue crepe with matching accessories. She wore a corsage of white orchids. Her sister, Ruth C. Booth, of Wilkes-Barre, was matron of honor and wore fuchsia with black accessories, and a corsage of rose orchids. Sgt. John Pomeroy, stationed on Long Island, but of Portland, Oregon, acted as best man. Dinner for the bridal party was served at Rockerfeller Center. The bride and groom spent their honeymoon at lake George.

Mrs. Fenn is a graduate of the Shickshinny High School and the Wilkes-Barre Business College. She is employed by the john Lucas Company, Philadelphia. Lt. Fenn was graduated from San Diego State College and from the George Williams College, Chicago. Before entering the service he was a secretary in the Y.M.C.A. in Portland, O. After a ten-day furlough Lt. Fenn will return to duty in the Navy.

Cpl. Walter Vorbleski Repairs Damaged Plane

Oct. 6, 1944

VIII Air Force Service Command Station, England--Corporal Walter F. Vorbleski, of Glen Avenue, Shickshinny, is serving with the Administrative division at this strategic air depot where flak-scarred Liberators are reconditioned to fly more missions against the enemy. Corporal Vorbleski, the son of Mrs. Victoria Vorbleski, of 54 Glen avenue, came to England in October, 1943.

Corporal Vorbleski entered military service in February, 1943.

On duty with the Station engineer, he is NCO in charge of a crew that is charged with the operations necessary to the smooth functioning of this huge depot.

Anticipating the need of additional knowledge when he returns to civilian life Corporal Vorbleski is studying photography and blue print reading during his spare time.

Sgt. Fitch Hons Suffers Injury

Jul 31, 1944

Not Battle Inflicted, He Writes, May Come To Hospital In U.S.

Sgt. Fitch Hons, who has been in England with an infantry regiment, has been undergoing hospital treatment for one month for an injury. In letters to his wife and parents, Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Hons, in his own hand, he states that the injury was not battle-inflicted and its cause are not matters that censorship permits to be given in detail. He has not yet been allowed to sit up at the time the last letter received was written. The letter states he anticipates return to a hospital in the United States when he has further convalesced.

Sgt. Fitch Hons Now In America

Sept. 13, 1944

Berwick Soldier Who Has Leg Amputated Is At Charleston, S.C.

Sgt. Fitch Hons, injured in England so severely he suffered the amputation of his leg, has arrived in America, a cablegram to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Melvin F. Hons, this morning states. He has arrived at Charleston, South Carolina, and is at the Stark general Hospital. The telegram stated he would be moved soon to a hospital in the East and nearer to Berwick.

Sgt. Hons was injured during June. The exact cause of the injury has never been learned. Sgt. Hons went out with the Guard companies in February, 1941, as a member of Company I and has been in service three years and seven months. He arrived in England on Nov. 15, 1943.

Sgt. Fitch Hons is Steadily Recovering

Oct. 4, 1944

Melvin Hons has returned from Percy Jones memorial hospital at Battle Creek, Mich., where he visited Sgt. Fitch Hons. Sgt. Hons, who had a leg amputated and also underwent other operations, is in favorable condition but will remain a patient for a few more months. Mrs. Hons, the former Freda Henrie, will spend some time at Battle Creek.

Lost Limbs But All Cheerful

Oct. 6, 1944

Amputation Cases in Hospital Where Melvin Hons Visits Son

Sgt. Fitch Hons, who suffered amputation of one of his legs after an injury received in England, is a patient at the government hospital at Battle Creek, Michigan, formerly the noted Battle Creek Sanitarium. His father, Melvin Hons has returned from a visit and Mrs. Fitch Hons, who accompanied him, has remained upon a visit at Battle Creek.

The injury to Sgt. Hons was received during a training period. Sgt. Hons was instructor and they had advanced under fire and had reached the limit of advance. The instructor and several men were seated on the ground as Sgt. Hons was explaining further action when a shell that was defective fell short and exploded some distance ahead. The group saw the smoke and were startled at the loud report but it was not until Sgt. Hons tried to get up that he realized he had been hit. A piece of the shell had entered the leg above the knee severing the blood vessels and mangling the leg. Infection that set in made necessary the amputation of the leg. After a long period of treatment, he was practically recovered but will undergo another operation on the leg.

Despite his injury, Sgt. Hons remains cheerful as are all of the boys at this "amputation center" are, the father states, and there are many of them with lost limbs. There is no spirit of depression and the veterans without exception are in cheerful spirit, Mr. Hons states. The government is doing many wonderful things in rehabilitating the wounded men and equipping with artificial limbs. Pointing to some soldiers who had been this equipped and who were moving about with little trace of an injury, Sgt. Honsí comment to his dad was, "Iíll be OK and be playing volley ball the same as before when I get back."



Shickshinny Soldier Seriously Wounded

A Shickshinny R. D. soldier, Pfc. Forrest Talcott, was seriously wounded in France, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Talcott, of R.D. 2. The telegram stated that the soldier was badly wounded in action on July 17, and is now in a hospital in England recuperating from his wounds.

He entered the service on march 17, 1942, and arrived in England in October of the same year.

Berwick Marine

Plt . Sgt. Arthur T. Norman, Jr., local marine, is serving at the San Francisco marine Base. His wife and four months old daughter are also in California. The local Marine, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Norman, Sr., has been in the service almost two years. He was employed in the ACF ordnance machine department before entering.

Killed In Action With The Infantry

Pvt. Herbert Spayder, son of Mrs. Emma Spayder Clotheir, of Shickshinny R. D., was killed in France on Sept. 8. The area soldier, who had been overseas about two months, was serving with an infantry unit when he met death. He had been in the service about two years before going overseas. The soldier is well known in the Shickshinny R. D. section.

Shickshinny RD Soldier Killed On September 8

Pvt. Herbert Spayder Dies In Action While Serving In France; Overseas Two Months

Pvt. Herbert G. Spayder, 23, of Shickshinny R. D. 2, was killed in action according to a telegram received last night by hia mother, Mrs. Emma Spayder Clotheir.

The telegram stated Pvt. Spayder was killed on Sept. 8, in France. There were no details. He was serving with the infantry. The last letter received from him was undated but was received on September 9.

The soldier, who lived two miles from Shickshinny on the Huntington Mills highway before entering the service, had been in the service three years and three months. He had been overseas two months. Prior to entering the service he was a miner at Wanamie.

Surviving in addition to his mother are the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Louise Eckhart, of Shickshinny R. D. 2; Fred Spayder, of Canal street, Shickshinny R.D. 2; Mrs. Ellen Campbell, of Stillwater, and Miss Madge Spayder, at home.

These Articles were donated by: Marge

©1997-2016 by Mary Ann Lubinsky for the PAGenWeb Project, and by Individual Contributors

 Mary Ann Lubinsky
County Coordinator

Back To Luzerne