You are here: PAGenWeb > Huntingdon > Townships > Shirleysburg History
Huntingdon County PAGenWeb
Shirleysburg Borough History
History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 348-353. Contributed by Judy Banja.
BOROUGH OF SHIRLEYSBURG.
Civil Organization. - By an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, at its annual session in the winter of 1836-37, the borough of Shirleysburg was erected as follows:
"SECTION I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in general assembly met, and is hereby enacted by the authority of the same: That the town of Shirleysburg in the county of Huntingdon shall be and the same is hereby erected into a borough, which shall be called Shirleysburg, and shall be compressed within the following boundaries, to wit: Beginning at a post on the western line of Main Street, forty feet south of the extreme southern boundary of a lot of Benedict Stevens, on the lands of Alexander Dysart, north eighty-seven and one-half degrees west eleven perches to a post; thence, by land of Alexander Dysart, Jesse Hollingsworth, Walter B. Hudson [Hudson was a surveyor and justice of the peace] and James Moore, two and one-half degrees east sixty-four perches to lands of James Oliver; thence north seventy-four degrees west eight and five-tenths perches to a post; thence, by land of James Oliver, John Lutz, H. Irvine's heirs, and lands of John Lutz, north two and one-half degrees east seventy-seven perches to a post; thence south seventy-eight degrees east eight and five-tenths perches to a post, and line of back street; thence north two and one-half degrees east twenty-six and six-tenths perches to a post; thence south eighty-seven and one-half degrees east eleven perches to line of Main Street; thence, by said street, north two and one-half degrees east twenty-one perches to public ground for school and meeting-house, so as to embrace said building; thence eighty-seven and one-half degrees east three perches to a post; thence south two and one-half degrees west twenty-one perches on the eastern line of Main Street to a post; thence south eighty-seven and one-half degrees east eleven and seven-tenth's perches to a post on lands of John Lutz; thence, by lands of John Lutz and James Oliver to line of McVitty's heirs, south two and one-half degrees west one hundred and three perches; thence south seventy-four degrees east three perches to a post; thence, by land of James Oliver and McVitty's heirs, south two and one-half degrees west thirteen perches to line of Charles Barton; thence south twenty-four degrees east ten and five-tenths perches to a post, south two and one-half degrees west thirteen and five-tenths perches to a post; thence, by lands of Thomas Barton, north seventy-four degrees west to a post and line of back street; thence south two and one-half degrees west thirty-two perches to a post on land of Thomas Barton; thence, by lands of said Barton, north eighty-seven and one-half degrees west to Main Street, fourteen and seven-tenths perches, to place of beginning."
Section II. defines the time, place, names, and manner of electing the several officers of the borough.
Section III. defines the name and style of the borough as "the burgess and council of Shirleysburg," also defines regulations, liabilities, etc.
Section IV. affixes penalties to be imposed upon persons elected to office and then refuse to serve; also provides that no person shall be compelled to serve more than one term.
Section V. provides for oath of burgess, Council, and clerk, and manner of entering upon the duties of each.
Section VI. relates to the power of Town Council, also to mode and limit of taxation.
Section VII. relates to duty of town clerk.
Section VIII. relates to treasurer's bond.
Section IX. relates to the accounting of moneys, and settlement by the different officers of borough.
Section X. relates to notice of election.
Section XI. makes the burgess, president of the Council, and treasurer, or any two of them, a court of appeal, and defines the powers of borough collector.
Section XII. relates to filling vacancy in absence of the burgess.
Section XIII. requires three officers present at any meeting to form a quorum.
Sect. XIV. - "John Lutz and James Ramsey, of said town, or either of them, shall publish and superintend the first election of borough officers on the first Friday of April next after the passage of this act, at the place appointed by law for holding the election for said borough, and they are hereby directed to give five days' notice, by advertisements as before directed in other cases of election, of the time and place of holding the same.
At the session of the General Assembly in 1842 supplemental acts were passed relating to this borough as follows:
Sect. XXIV. - That the qualified electors of the borough of Shirleysburg, in the county of Huntingdon, shall annually, at the same time and place where they meet to choose their borough officers, elect two reputable citizens in said borough, and return their names to the next Court of Quarter Sessions of said county, one of whom shall be appointed by said court constable for said borough for one year in the same manner, with like power and authority, and subject in every respect to all the provisions of the existing laws relative to constables throughout this commonwealth.
"Sec. XXV. - That all the lands situate between the western boundary line of said borough and the Aughwick Creek, including lands of W. B. Hudson, David Freaker, heirs of John Oliver (deceased), John Lutz, and Thomas Askin, be and the same constitute a part, and included in the territorial limits of said borough."
"Sec. XXVI. - That from and after the passage of this act the borough of Shirleysburg shall constitute a separate school district, and to be subject to all laws relative to a general system of education by common schools within this commonwealth."
Several other supplemental sections relating to this borough have been passed, not materially changing the foregoing.
The names of original lot-owners in Shirleysburg were as follows:
Miss Barton's lot on west side Main Street, containing 1 1/10 lot of 60 by 140 feet.
David Freaker, lot on west side Main Street, containing 1 3/7 lot of 60 by 140 feet.
James Oliver, lot on east side of Main Street, containing 2 1/2 lots of 60 by 140 feet.
Samuel McVitty, lot on east side of Main Street, containing 3 7/30 lots of 60 by 140 feet.
Dr. James Spoor, lot on east side of Main Street, containing 2 7/10 lots of 60 by 140 feet.
Charles Barton, lot on east side Main Street, containing 1 1/2 lot of 60 by 140 feet.
Mr. Collins, lot on east side Main Street, containing 4/5 lot of 60 by 140 feet.
David Ely occupies 141 perches, being part of back street on the east and west not opened.
James Oliver occupies 49 perches, being part of back street (that is 37 perches on east and 12 on west.)
David Freaker occupies 20.2 perches, being part of back street on the west.
Walter B. Hudson occupies 48.5 perches, being part of back street on the west.
Jesse Hollingsworth occupies 20.3 perches, being part of back street on the west.
Samuel Carothers occupies 85.4 perches, being part of back street on the west.
Thomas A. Smelker occupies 100 perches, being part of back street on east and south.
Charles Barton occupies 193 perches, being part of back street and back lot on east also.
Samuel McVitty occupies 55.3 perches, being part of back street and back lot on east also.
Thomas Askin, John Lutz, the Methodist Church, and James Oliver have in back lots belonging to the borough 4 acres and 14 perches nett measure.
The balance of the borough is represented in lots 60 feet in front by 140 feet deep.
Walter B. Hudson has 1 1/2 lots on west side Main Street, on which his dwelling-house now stands.
Joseph Harvey has 2 lots on east side Main Street, on which his dwelling-house stands.
Barton's 2 1/2 lots (grass) on east side Main Street, on which his dwelling-house stands.
The following will be found a complete list of burgesses from 1837 to 1882, inclusive, and the years in which they were elected and served:
John Lutz, 1837, 1841, 1854; Dr. James G. Lightner, 1838-40; Benjamin Leas, 1842-44; Maize S. Harrison, 1845-46, 1855, 1861, 1871; William B. Leas, 1847, 1856, 1877; Jesse Hollingsworth, 1848, 1850, 1858; Isaac Clugston, 1849; Thomas Askin, 1851; George Leas, 1852, 1864; John W. Withington, 1853; William McNite, 1857, 1862; Joel Tompkins, 1859-60, 1867; Samuel Backus, 1863; Henry Brewster, 1865; William Harvey, 1866; John H. Lightner, 1868; D. P. Hawker, 1869; William P. McNite, 1870-73,1878; D. A. Zimmerman, 1874; John Cobert, 1875; John M. Clark, 1876, 1882; John C. Lotz, 1879; W. H. Sharrar, 1880-81.
1837, Thomas Askin, John Price, Jacob Rikard, Thomas Barton, Jesse Hollingsworth; 1838, Jesse Hollingsworth, John Price, Maize S. Harrison, James Ramsey, William B. Leas; 1839, J. Hollingsworth, Thomas A. Smelker, John Price, William B. Leas, Abraham L. Funk; 1840, W. B. Leas, A. L. Funk, James Ramsey, M. S. Harrison, John Price; 1841, Samuel Backus, Samuel McVitty, David Fraker, J. Hollingsworth, Thomas Askin; 1842, M. S. Harrison, A. L. Funk, James Clark, James B. Pergrin, Robert Harvey; 1843, M. S. Harrison, Samuel Backus, John M. Clark, Britton E. Collins, Robert Harvey; 1844, B. E. Collins, John W. Withington, M. S. Harrison, W. B. Leas, Henry Brewster; 1845, Thomas Askin, Jesse Hollingsworth, William Boggs, William B. Leas, Benjamin Leas; 1846, John W. Withington, John M. Clark, Samuel Carothers, James Ramsey, Elijah Aultz; 1847, John Lacey, James R. Brewster, A. O. Brown, Samuel Bowman, J. Hollingsworth; 1848, William B. Leas, M. S. Harrison, James S. McElheney, James G. Doyle, A. O. Brown; 1849, John M. Clark, J. W. Withington, George Leas, William B. Leas, John S. Buck; 1850, Ephraim Doyle, John S. Buck, J. S. McElheney, George Leas, John More; 1851, James Clark, J. C. Moore, Joseph G. Goshon, Samuel Backus, J. B. Pergrin; 1852, Samuel Bowman, T. N. Barton, J. G. Goshon, Benjamin Long, Peter Bowman; 1853, Ephraim Doyle, Isaac Clugston, B. Long, J. G. Goshon, T. N. Barton; 1854, J. Hollingsworth, M. S. Harrison, S. Bowman, William Dodds, Levi A. Myers; 1855, William B. Leas, John Hicks, Samuel L. Glasgow, George Askin, W. O. Baldwin; 1856, E. Doyle, Levi A. Myers, William Harvey, M. S. Harrison, John Brewster; 1857, Henry Brewster, E. Doyle, J. M. Clark, William Drake, Thomas McGarvey; 1858, E. Doyle, J. M. Clark, James W. Galbraith, William A. Fraker, Henry Brewster; 1859, John H. Lightner, J. W. Galbraith, Isaac Sharrar, Samuel Backus, William Harvey; 1860, J. H. Lightner, J. Hollingsworth, David P. Harvey, Daniel Myers, John Wicks; 1861, Henry Myers, Joseph Rickets, A. A. Shannon, George W. Whittaker, D. P. Harvey; 1862, Thomas McNite, William Drake, Peter Burkit, Thomas I. Briggs, Thomas McGarvey; 1863, Adam Bryan, John Clark, John C. Lotz, W. B. Leas, Jesse Hollingsworth; 1864, B. I. Devor, W. H. Brewster, John H. Lightner, R. M. Johnson, William A. Fraker; 1865, George Leas, J. C. Lotz, Jesse Hollingsworth, William Harvey, W. B. Leas; 1866, Joseph H. Cornelius, M. S. Harrison, G. W. Hawker, P. Burkit, Robert B. Harvey; 1867, D. P. Hawker, R. H. Wharton, Henry Myers, Peter Burkit, George Leas; 1868, William Drake, G. W. Hawker, William Harvey, J. C. Lotz, George Leas; 1869, John M. Goodman, Henry Myers, George Leas, Philip Kabis, John Jacobs; 1870, D. P. Hawker, Philip Kabis, Henry Myers, D. W. Pergrin, James A. Doyle; 1871, William Drake, Gwin M. Harvey, G. Withington, George Leas, William H. Brewster; 1872, David H. Miller, J. C. Lotz, E. J. Pergrin, W. H. Harris, J. A. Kerr, William A. Fraker; 1873, Philip Kabis, David Douglas, R. B. Kerr, Henry Myers, E. J. Pergrin, William H. Sharer; 1874, David Douglas, David H. Miller, George E. Jacobs, Ephraim Eyler, P. Kabis, Thomas I. Briggs; 1875, George Withington, D. A. Zimmerman, D. P. Harvey, Peter Burkit, Charles Bowersox, W. H. Brewster; 1876, P. Kabis, G. Withington, W. H. Brewster, Daniel Myers, William H. Sharer; 1877, J. C. Lotz, P. Kabis, David Douglas, A. C. Gray, Jacob R. Isenberg, W. H. Sharer; 1878, W. H. Sharer, D. B. Douglas, T. B. Landis, John Stubs, J. C. Lotz, Lewis A. Brown; 1879, D. P. Hawker, Henry Myers, P. Kabis, W. P. McNite, William B. Leas, D. B. Douglas; 1880, Daniel Myers, Charles Bowersox, D. H. Miller, Peter Burkit, D. B. Douglas, Reuben Myers; 1881, John J. Rosensteel, D. P. Hawker. J. Zimmerman, Henry Myers, S. R. Douglas; 1882, J. C. Lotz, S. R. Douglas, Daniel Myers, W. H. Sharer, Peter X. Burkit, Calvin Stubs.
1842, Elliot Ramsey, James Templeton; 1843, Elliot Ramsey, A. O. Brown; 1844, Nathan Rickets, Elliot Ramsey; 1845, Nathan Rickets; 1846, George Leas, J. Forbes; 1847, --- ---; 1848, Joseph Gooshorn, James P. Forbes; 1849, Dennis O'Conner; 1850, David W. Rickets; 1851, Samuel Bowman; 1852, Edward Zerner; 1853, John W. Withington; 1854, George R. Wicks; 1865, George Askins, William McNite; 1856, N. A. Conner; 1857, John Jacob; 1858, Walter F. Clark,
Isaac M. Donathan; 1859, David P. Harvey; 1860, Samuel Sharrer; 1861, L. A. Myers (high), John Jacobs; 1862, Levi A. Myers (high), Ephraim Doyle; 1863-67, John Jacobs; 1868, John Kerr; 1869, John Kerr, E. A. Myers; 1870-71, J. A. Kerr; 1872, Moses Everts; 1873-76, G. W. Withingston; 1877, A. W. Simms; 1878-79, George Withington; 1880, W. H. Shaver; 1881, D. A. Zimmerman.
1843, Samuel McVitty, Henry Brewster; 1844, --- ---; 1845, James B. Pergum, John M. Clark, James Ramsey; 1846, --- ---; 1847, --- ---; 1848, --- ---; 1849, Charles Fleming; 1850, W. B. Leas; 1851, Thomas Ashton; 1852, J. G. Lightner; 1853, Charles Bowersox, Isaac Clugston, M. S. Harrison; 1854, James Clark, Benjamin Long; 1855, M. S. Harrison, J. M. Clark; 1856, John M. Clark, H. Brewster, W. O. Baldwin; 1857, H. Brewster, M. S. Harrison, William McNite; 1858, Charles Bowersox, George Less; 1859, John Wicks, J. McKuman; 1860, William Harvey, William McNite; 1861, George Leas, John M. Clark; 1862, William Drake, Calvin Wallace, John H. Lightner; 1863, M. S. Harrison, J. L. Harvey; 1864, George Leas, Henry Myers; 1865, John M. Clark, William B. Leas; 1866, John H. Lightner, William Drake; 1867, Charles Bowersox, George Leas; 1868, William P. McNite, John Jacobs; 1869, William Drake, John H. Lightner; 1870, W. P. McNite, P. Kabis; 1871, --- ---; 1872, J. X. Leutz, W. F. Clark, J. Copenhaven, J. Parsons; 1873, George Leas, W. A. Fraker; 1874, W. P. McNite, John Jacobs; 1875, Wm. Myers; 1876, D. A. Zimmerman, W. Drake; 1877, J. R. Bell, J. I. Benkett, L. F. Watson, B. F. Ripple, R. C. Templeton, A. M. Pheasant; 1878, J. H. Lightner, W. B. Leas; 1879, D. A. Zimmerman, Lewis Braum; 1880, W. P. McKnight, L. A. Myers; 1881, Reuben Myers, T. B. Landis.
Aughwick Church of the United Brethren, [By C. Long.] - The Aughwick Church of the Brethren in Huntingdon County, Pa., was organized about 1802. The number of persons was small at that time, only six in all, namely, Christian Long and wife, Daniel Secrist and wife, and Peter Secrist and wife. Out of that number Christian Long was chosen to the ministry and Daniel Secrist to the deaconship, and as these could only labor in the German language there was not much progress made in numbers for some time. Inasmuch as there was no record kept of church matters at that time we have to guess at some things as to time, but in a few years Jacob Lutz was chosen to the ministry, who could speak English. Things seemed to move a little faster. I think the number was about twenty-five when Peter Long was chosen to the ministry, in 1826. The church began to spread out its borders and, in 1827, Andrew Spanogle and John King were chosen to the ministry. Next in turn was Michael Bollinger, in 1835. Next in turn to the ministry was Graybill Myers and Christian Long, Jr., in 1839. John G. Glock was chosen in 1842, and John Spanogle in 1844. About this time some called the church at Aughwick a preacher-factory. In 1847, Abraham Funck was chosen to the ministry, and Enoch Eby in 1850. Then comes George Myers on the list, in 1853. Then James Lane was elected in 1858, and Peter Swane in 1861, and Isaac Book and John Garver were chosen in 1869, and Robert Wakefield in 1872, and Seth Myers in 1874, and William Spanogle in 1877.
Christian Long died in 1849, hence was in the ministry forty-seven years. John G. Glock, John Spanogle, Abraham Funck, James Lane, Robert Wakefield, Seth Myers, and William Spanogle still remain in the Aughwick Church. Christian Long, Jacob Lutz, John Hanawalt, Andrew Spanogle, and John King are dead. Peter Long lives in Perry County, Pa.; Michael Bollinger in Carroll County. Ill.; Graybill Myers at Eldorado, Pa.; Christian Long, Sr., in Dallas County, Iowa; Enoch Eby in Jo Daviess County, Ill.; George Myers in Kansas; Christian Myers in Juniata County, Pa.; John Garver in Cumberland County, Pa.; Isaac Book in Juniata County, Pa.
The church that was once called the Aughwick Church is now divided into three organizations, scattered over a very large, mountainous territory, - hard labor for the ministry. The writer spent considerable time of 1878 in that part of Pennsylvania, and while there the thought presented itself that it might be of some interest to many of the members who have lived in the Aughwick Church to see a little review of the doings of the church. The meetinghouse in Germany Valley was built in 1836, the one in Hill Valley in 1873.
John G. Glock, of whom this brief sketch is written, was born on the 1st day of April, 1807, in the village of Hoeneck, Wurtemberg, Germany. His ancestors had lived there for many generations, and had been farmers and coopers by occupation, and in their religious belief Lutherans. His father, Jacob Philip Glock, married Miss Catherine Aininger, whose parents and ancestors as far back as can be traced had lived in the same village and had belonged to the same church. They had twelve children, of whom four sons and two daughters only grew to man's and woman's estate. John Glock grew up in his native village, receiving a common-school education, and when old enough learned to work on the farm and at the cooper's trade. In 1832 his brother Frederick, who was working at his trade (a blacksmith) in France, wrote John a letter, saying that a party of young men were about to go to America, and that he would go if he (John) would go also. To this he at once replied in the affirmative, and Frederick came home, and they went to Amsterdam, and with only enough money to pay their fare and with all their worldly possessions in their knapsacks, they embarked on the sailing-ship "Unskanogen" for the New World beyond the sea. After a long and pleasant trip of sixty-six days they landed in Baltimore, Md. Frederick, who secured a situation at once, remained in the city; but John did not like it there, and meeting with Mr. John Lutz, of Shirley, Huntingdon Co., Pa., he hired out to him, and on foot beside Mr. Lutz' wagon-load of merchandise started for his new home on the other side of the mountains. He remained with Mr. Lutz nearly two years; then for a couple of years was in the employ of Dr. McNite's father, after which he bought a farm in Cromwell township. In 1853 he sold the farm in Cromwell and purchased another of the executors of Samuel McKinstry, deceased, in Shirley township. This he sold in 1865, and then bought the one he now owns and on which he expects to end his days. In 1836, Mr. Glock was converted, and after reading the Scripture and weighing the matter carefully, joined the German Baptists, or Dunkard Society, to which he has since belonged. He was for some time a deacon, and in 1840 a preacher, and in 1852 was ordained a bishop. While be has never voted or become naturalized, he still takes an interest in the political affairs of the country, and would, if a voter, act with the Republican party. For his first wife he married, on the 26th day of August, 1836, Miss Catherine Myers, who died Sept. 28, 1857, without issue. He married for his second wife Miss Mary Ann Beasor, daughter of John and Asenath (Price) Beasor. She was born Feb. 11, 1828, in Juniata County, Pa., where her ancestors were among the earliest settlers. To Mr. and Mrs. Glock there have been born three children, namely, Asenath, born Oct. 4, 1859; Anna C., Aug. 6, 1861; and John B., June 18, 1864.
Shirleysburg Methodist Episcopal Church. - As near as can be ascertained, Methodist preachers came through the south part of what is now Huntingdon County as early as 1795, laying out work for future generations to complete.
One of their regular preaching-places in Shirley township was at the house of Isaac Sharrar, near what is now known as Two Bridges, a mile or more below Shirleysburg. Here, and at other houses, barns, and groves, they continued to hold services till 1810 or 1812, when Shirley began to put on the appearance of a small village; it was then deemed advisable to build a house of worship. Accordingly preparations were made, and a log meeting-house was erected on what is now known as Back Street, in the borough of Shirleysburg, on the site now occupied by Dr. W. P. McNite's barn. Other denominations soon followed, and all of them occupied the old log meeting-house till it became untenable, when by common consent all denominations worshiped in the old schoolhouse then standing on the east side of Main Street. The Methodists, however, believing in the doctrine, and obeying the divine command to "multiply and replenish the earth," soon found their congregation too large for the old school-house, or vice versa, and set about to build a house of their own, and in 1843 they built a brick meeting-house on the site now occupied by their present church. This church was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1846, which was a serious blow to their future prospects; but, not in the least disheartened, it was not long before another meetinghouse came up, Phoenix-like, from the ashes of the former. This in turn was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1876, and the present neat and commodious brick structure, with a seating capacity of three hundred and fifty, was built in 1877 at a cost of three thousand five hundred dollars.
Among the pioneer members we find the names of Thomas Askin, who was also a local preacher, Samuel Backus, Thomas Carothers, John Withington, Charles Fleming, Peter Etnire, John Sharrar, Isaac Sharrar, Benedict Stevens, John Wakefield. Among the later members was William H. Sharrar, who was appointed a class-leader in 1855, and still occupies the same responsible office.
Among the preachers who have served this people are such names as Seeley Bunn, --- Cadman, and John Bowen, who preached in the old log church in the very early part of this century, Thomas Larkins and Dr. Woods, --- Johnson and Britton E. Collins, 1839, Henry Terry, Peter McNally, Jacob Gruber, who was one of those eccentric German pioneers of Methodism, John Ball, --- Munroe, David Seever, Joseph Parker, James Stevens, Elisha Butler, Josiah Forrest, Amos Smith, Robert Beers, who was the first occupant of the Methodist Episcopal parsonage at Shirleysburg, Plummer Waters, Cambridge Graham, William N. Manager, George Leida, James M. Clark, --- Vanpossen, and --- Singer, the present pastor. Among the many presiding elders, we can give only the names of Henry Furlong, John Miller, John A. Collins.
The Presbyterian Church [By Dr. W. P. McNite.] of Shirleysburg was organized about 1800, or a few years later. T. McGehon, M.D., of Franklin County, Rev. John, Johnston, of Huntingdon, Rev. Samuel Woods, D.D., of Lewistown, Rev. Gray, Shade Gap; Rev. John Peebles, of Huntingdon, and Rev. Carroll, of Newton Hamilton, all preached here previous to 1839. October, 1839, Rev. Britton E. Collins came, and remained as stated supply to October, 1855. December, 1855, Rev. G. W. Shaiffer received a call, was installed, and was dismissed at the April Presbytery, 1866. Rev. Cochrane Forbes was stated supply from June, 1865, to April, 1870. The church was vacant until 1871. Rev. Samuel C. Alexander was installed in June, 1871, and resigned April, 1873. Rev. William Prideaux was then installed, and at the request of congregation dismissed in 1875. It was then supplied by Presbytery to October, 1877. Rev. R. A. Watson was then supply to April, 1878, and Rev. Stephen W. Pomeroy was supply to October, 1878; then he received a call and was installed, and still continues to preach. The communion services at an early day were held in the old log Methodist meeting-house, which stood east of the present Presbyterian Church. Then all denominations held services in the log school-house which stood at the end of town. The present church was built in 1830 of frame; between 1840 and 1845 there was an addition put to it, a gallery placed inside, and a bell on the top of the church. It was repainted and a new roof put on in 1873.
A parsonage was purchased in 1857 or 1858. The first elders were Samuel Carothers and Randall Alexander. Then followed Henry Brewster, John Douglas, Samuel Williamson, Jacob Rothrock, Robert Bigham, Hon. John Brewster, Samuel Douglas, Jesse H. Peterson, and Daniel Brondt, of Shirleysburg proper. Shirleysburg, Orbisonia, and Mount Union were all one congregation, though each had a church building. Mount Union organized a separate church in 1867, and Orbisonia in 1874 or 1875. The few members that live at Saltillo still retain the membership at Shirleysburg. The church property is valued at about one thousand dollars. Among the early members were the Harveys, Cluggages, Carothers, Alexanders, Hollingsworths, Mclntyes, McNites, Bigham, and others. The old members are all dead, and a great many of younger ones have moved away, which, with the Mount Union and Orbisonia congregation taken off, has reduced the membership from one hundred and thirty in 1839 to fifty in 1882. Thomas Irvin, one of the members of this church, who died in 1851, was a descendant of --- Irvin, one of the defenders of Londonderry.
Shirleysburg Baptist Church, [By Rev. H. P. Hile.] - The Shirleysburg Baptist Church was organized Aug. 8, 1843, with forty-nine members, forty-five of whom had recently been baptized by Rev. A. K. Bell during a meeting which he held there. This was the earliest Baptist preaching in that immediate vicinity. The names of the original members are Thomas A. Smelker, Mary Smelker, George Smelker, John Smelker, Sarah Smelker, Benjamin Leas, Mary A. Leas, William B. Leas, Ephraim Doyle, Martha Doyle, Mary D. Doyle, Susan I. Doyle, William Tompkins, Mary A. Tompkins, Margaret Tompkins, Samuel McVitty, Esther McVitty, William Harvey, Margaret Harvey, Margaret I. Harvey, Nancy Cornelius, Philip Grosh, Thomas G. Barton, Thomas N. Barton, Jr., Samuel S. Barton, John M. Barton, James Ramsey, Nancy Ramsey, Elliott Ramsey, James B. Pergrin, Sarah Pergrin, Mary Ann Pergrin, James Palmer, John H. Lightner, Abraham Schaffer, James M. Hudson, Isabella White, Matilda Shorthill, Elizabeth Keefer, Hannah C. Weeks, James Davis, Evelina Diven, Alexander Coch, Nancy Smith, Isabella Bollinger, Margaret Bell, Mary Dougherty, John Potts, Joseph Cornelius.
Thomas A. Smelker and S. McVitty were the first deacons, and Benjamin Leas the first clerk.
Revs. Proudfoot, A. K. Bell, William Jones, D. Williams, and --- Bingham were present at the recognition of the churches.
The church at first worshiped in a school-house, but built their present house of worship in 1843-44. The Sunday-school was organized in 1844. The pastors have been David Williams, 1843-52; J. A. Kelley, 1854-57; J. L. Holmes; 1859-60; D. V. Krevlin, 1862; J. B. Kidder, 1863-64; S, K. Boyer, 1866-68; J. W. Evans, 1869-76; D. J. R. Strayer, 1877-81. W. P. Hile is the present pastor.
Four hundred and eighty-two persons have been members of the church since its organization. The church at Three Springs was formed of members who were dismissed from this church. Many prominent men have been connected with this church, and representatives may be found in many States in the Union. At Orbisonia there is an out-station of the church, with a membership of twenty-five or thirty, with a fine house of worship free of debt, and a flourishing Sunday-school.
Shirleysburg Cemetery. - In this cemetery, located a short distance northwest of the borough, may be found the following inscriptions:
Thomas McVitty, died Dec. 20, 1823, aged 43.
Mary McVitty Williamson, died Aug. 12, 1849, aged 51.
Cynthia Jane Brewster, died July 20, 1857, aged 38.
Nancy Brewster, died Feb. 12, 1855, aged 47.
Samuel Jamison, died March 12, 1840, aged 70.
Margaret Brewster, aged 71.
Mary Harvey, died June 4, 1864, aged 51.
Mrs. P. S. Pollock, born Dec. 20, 1804; died March 20, 1837.
Martha R., consort of Col. William Pollock, born Dec. 15, 1806, died Aug. 9, 1829.
Randall Alexander, born Feb. 5, 1807, died Jan. 3, 1853.
Elizabeth McIntire, died Feb. 25, 1858, aged 75.
Elizabeth Douglas, died May 24, 1855, aged 31.
Ephraim Doyle, died June 10, 1876, aged 75.
Martha Doyle, died Aug. 31, 1854, aged 52.
Rev. Milton E. Collins, for forty-two years a minister of the gospel of Christ, died April 12, 1876, aged 75.
Martha Collins, died Oct. 20, 1874, aged 85.
Margaret Harvey, died Nov. 20, 1866, aged 47.
John Harvey, died Jan. 9, 1848, aged 62.
Mrs. Margaret Harvey, died April 5, 1877, aged 86.
Isaac Sharer, died Nov. 14, 1863, aged 74.
James O. Sharrer, died Nov. 22, 1853, aged 33.
John Hoover, born June 17, 1810; died June 8, 1857.
David Fraker, died Feb. 2, 1852, aged 46.
Emily Sharer, died May 8, 1877, aged 70.
Jacob Sharer, died Jan. 27, 1849, aged 68.
Mary Sharer, died Sept. 1, 1856, aged 66.
Priscilla Sharer, died May 23, 1864, aged 44.
James Carothers, died March 26, 1848, aged 78.
Mary Carothers, died Sept. 30, 1842, aged 53.
Mary McKendree, died March 8, 1854, aged 65.
William Scheaffer, died June 3, 1851, aged 42.
James Ramsey, Esq., died Aug. 13, 1853, aged 63.
John W. Withington, died Dec. 19, 1853, aged 38.
James B. Peregrin, died Nov. 17, 1852, aged 43.
Samuel McKinstry, died March 9, 1851, aged 35.
John Douglass, died Dec. 1, 1845, aged 64.
Alfred J. Ramsay, born Nov. 15, 1839; died Jan. 30, 1877.
Sabra Bower, died Jan. 29, 1865, aged 82.
Hester Ann Harrison, wife of Rev. George Bowman, died April 2, 1864, aged 23.
Maize S. Harrison, died March 28, 1876, aged 66.
Joseph Underwood, died Dec. 22, 1864, aged 87.
Thomas Irvin, died Feb. 28, 1851, aged 92.
Margaret Potts, died April 10, 1848.
Adam Linn, died Aug. 17, 1826, aged 67.
Margaret Linn, died Sept. 16, 1825, aged 64.
Jane Linn, died Oct 10, 1824, aged 33.
James Linn, born Feb. 9, 1793; died Sept. 27, 1823.
Samuel Harvey, Sr., died June 11, 1874, aged 91.
Mary Harvey, died Aug. 24, 1857, aged 68.
Diana Barton, died Nov. 7, 1854, aged 51.
Thomas G. Barton, died Nov. 28, 1844, aged 65.
Douglas Burying-Ground. - This is located half a mile south of the borough.
William Ashman Fraker, born June 21, 1836; died April 11, 1874.
Catharine E. Fraker, died June 1, 1880, aged 69.
Henry Brewster, born March 10, 1798; died Oct. 31, 1880.
George M. Hawker, died April 26, 1871, aged 63.
Cynthia Bowersox, wife of D. P. Hawker, died July 6, 1879, aged 32.
Elizabeth Sharer, died March 30, 1870, aged 75.
Julia A. Withington, wife of Charles Bowersox, died Aug. 16, 1875, aged 57.
John T. Musgrove, died Aug. 17, 1879, aged 29.
David Douglas, died May 13, 1879, aged 67.
B. F. Harmony, born Feb. 12, 1839; died Sept. 30, 1878.
Mattie J. Bingham, born April 3, 1851; died Sept. 30, 1881.
Ellie M. Leas, died July 29, 1881, aged 34.
Elizabeth Harner Piper, died May 12, 1872, aged 48.
Annie M. Elliott, died June 23, 1870, aged 27.
Susannah Kabis, died Nov. 18, 1880, aged 42.
Dr. W. H. Kerr, born May 10, 1840; died Oct. 29, 1868.
Robert B. Kerr, born May 14, 1806; died Feb. 11, 1877.
William McNite, born July 20, 1790; died April 3, 1867.
Elinor McNite, daughter of William Postlethwaite, born April 10, 1790; died Oct. 20, 1878.
Isabella Eleanor Doyle, died July 18, 1865, aged 46.
Thomas Irvin McNite, born May 27, 1830; died April 30, 1865.
Isabella Hollingsworth, died March 13, 1866, aged 72.
Jane Templeton, died May 17, 1866, aged 66.
Other GenWeb Sites
Copyright � 1996-2014, All Rights Reserved
Copyright � 1996-2004 Ken Boonie & contributors
Copyright � 2005-2010 Judy Banja & contributors
Copyright 2011-2018, Josie Baughman and Individual file contributors. All rights reserved.