You are here: PAGenWeb > Huntingdon > Townships > Penn History
Huntingdon County PAGenWeb
Penn Township History
History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania by J. Simpson Africa Philadelphia, PA: Louis H. Everts, 1883, pp. 336-340. Contributed by Mike Gifford & Ken Boonie. Revised and proofread by Judy Banja.
By J. H. Wintrode, M.D.
IN 1846 the township of Hopewell was divided into two nearly equal parts, and the northern part erected into the township of Penn.
Penn is bounded on the north by the townships of Walker and Juniata, on the east by Union, Cass, and Tod, on the south by Lincoln, and on the west by the county of Blair, the summits of Terrace and Tussey's Mountains forming respectively the eastern and western boundary lines.
In area the township is about six miles from north to south, and eight from east to west. It is watered by the Raystown Branch of the Juniata, which runs along the foot of Terrace Mountain. James Creek and its tributaries and some of the tributaries of Crooked Creek also traverse the township.
The surface of the country is broken by numerous ridges, which at some points assume the proportions of mountains, the principal ones being Redstone, Mulberry, Warrior's, Backbone, Piney, and Alagrippa, or "Allegrippus."
Woodcock Valley embraces the territory lying between Warrior's Ridge and Tussey's Mountain. Although somewhat broken, it is naturally a very productive limestone soil, and most of it is in a high state of cultivation. The slate soil of "the ridges" is less productive than that of the valley, but in favorable seasons produces excellent crops.
The soil of the valley of the Raystown Branch is mainly a sandy alluvium, and is also highly productive. Penn is rich in iron ores. There are practically inexhaustible deposits of hematite, fossil, and levant fossil ores in the township. The hematite is found in the trough formed by Mulberry and Warrior's Ridges, and the fossils along the base of Tussey's Mountain. Unfortunately for this community, the owners of these ore lands were induced some years ago, by specious promises which were not kept, to execute perpetual leases to parties residing in other sections of the State, thereby depriving this locality of the full benefit of its great mineral wealth.
Within the last eighteen years over one hundred and fifty thousand tons of this ore were shipped from Marklesburg and Grafton Stations, mainly to the Cambria Iron Company of Johnstown, and to the furnace of the Grove Brothers, of Danville, Montour Co., Pa. At present the Grove Brothers are almost the exclusive owners of the ore leases of the township.
The old Trexler mine, at the foot of Tussey's Mountain, is now owned by Mrs. Lydia A. Patterson, and is operated by her son, Horace Patterson, Esq. Large quantities of a superior quality of ore are annually shipped from this mine also.
Lead ore has been discovered at different points on Warrior's Ridge, but so far not in any considerable quantities.
Few, if any, of the descendants of the first white settlers of what is now Penn township survive. The names of Hartsock, Kough, Fleck, Freed, Bishop, Breckenridge, Keith, Roberts, Hart, Owens, McMath, and Graffius are among those that figure in its earliest history.
Thomas Wilson, an Englishman, was one of the few pioneer settlers still having representatives in the township. He lived on what is known as the "Station farm," now owned by David Summers. He owned, and probably built, the first grist-mill in this section of the country. It is represented as having been very primitive in structure. It was known throughout the neighborhood as "Tub Mill," and stood near the site of the brick mill now owned by John S. Isett.
Mr. Wilson had two sons, Levi and William, and five daughters, who were married respectively to James Entriken, William Enyeart, Samuel Glasgow, William Harvey, and William Taylor. He died April, 1836, in the ninety-fifth year of his age. He is buried in the graveyard on the farm now owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Frank.
Michael Garner came to Woodcock Valley from the neighborhood of Sharpsburg, Md., in the year 1789. He purchased the "improvement" of Thomas Whitner, and on June 20, 1794, from "John Penn, the younger, and John Penn, the older, through their attorney, Anthony Butler, two hundred and seventy-nine acres of land lying in Hopewell township, Huntingdon Co., being a part of the tract known as Penn's Manor of Woodcock Valley, paying therefor �112 58. 4d., current money of Pennsylvania, in specie." A part of this tract is at present owned by George Garner, one of his numerous grandsons.
Mr. Garner had five sons, John, Michael, Matthew, George, and Philip, and two daughters, Susan and Mary, married respectively to Daniel Stauffer and Jacob Gruble. His descendants outnumbered those of any other family in the township.
Jacob Brumbaugh emigrated from Germany, and first located near the Antietam, in Maryland, about the year 1780. He removed to Morrison's Cove in 1788, and came to Woodcock Valley in 1794. On the 4th day of August, 1800, he purchased from David McMurtrie a tract of land known as "Timothy Meadows," on the south side of Warrior's Ridge, containing two hundred and nineteen acres. The tract was originally surveyed in pursuance of an application, No. 1709, entered the 2d day of August, 1766, by John Mitchell, and the patent subsequently confirmed to Solomon Sills. His grandson, Jacob Brumbaugh, Sr., occupies the old homestead. Mr. Brumbaugh was twice married. He had fifteen children, nine sons and six daughters. David Brumbaugh, Sr., who died at Marklesburg Nov. 19, 1880, was the youngest of his sons. Mrs. Susannah Markley, one of the daughters, removed with her husband many years ago to Ohio, where she died about a year ago.
Jacob Grove (originally Graf, Graff, Grof, Groff, and finally Grove) came from Lancaster County, Pa., in 1795 or 1796. He located on the farm at present owned and occupied by Benjamin H. Grove, a grandson, situate about two miles south of Grafton, in Woodcock Valley. He had eight children, five sons, viz., Benjamin, Daniel, Jacob, John, and Andrew, and three daughters. Of the sons, Jacob and Andrew still reside on the Raystown Branch, in Penn township. One of the daughters, Mrs. V. Hoover, is still living, and resides at Logansport, Ind. The Grove family is one of the largest in the township. John and Peter Beightel, also from Lancaster County, settled in Woodcock Valley at about the same time. The farms on which they located, now among the best in the township, are owned and occupied by Isaac and Daniel Beightel, Sr., sons of the pioneers of the family.
Ludwig Hoover came from Maryland at an early day and settled on the Breckenridge farm, the scene of the massacre by the Indians, detailed in Jones' "Juniata Valley." He had a hemp-factory, an oil-mill, and a distillery. His grandson, Ludwig Hoover, is the present owner and occupant of this historic old farm.
Isaac Bowers, from Berks, and Abraham Grubb, from Bucks County, came to this valley in the early part of the present century. The former purchased a farm from John Freed, and the latter purchased the Hartsock property, on which was located Fort Hartsock, famous in the history of Woodcock Valley in Indian times.
Andrew, Henry, Jacob, and John Boyer, brothers, came from Montgomery County, Pa., in 1799, and located in the vicinity of the present village of Marklesburg, where most of their descendants still reside.
John and Joseph Norris came from the neighborhood of Hagerstown, Md., located on the Raystown Branch, and were the progenitors of large and respectable families still resident in Penn township.
The Prough, Barrick, Beaver, Fink, Speck, Snare, and Geissinger families are among the older ones of the township.
MARKLESBURG, a quiet and unpretending little village, is situated in the southwestern part of the township, near the head of James Creek. It is distant half a mile from the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad, and twelve miles southwest of Huntingdon, on the road leading from Huntingdon to Bedford.
David Brumbaugh and Matthew Garner were the owners of the land on which the village is located. It was a part of the tract which was for many years in dispute between the Bank of North America and the heirs of Dr. Allison. The former of the two proprietors mentioned put an end to the conflict in titles by purchasing both claims. The town was laid out in the summer of 1844 by Jacob Cresswell, surveyor, and was named in honor of Gen. Joseph Markle, the Whig candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania.
The first dwelling-house in the town was erected by Jacob Skyles in 1844. Jacob Hess, Sr., is the present owner of the house. The second and third dwellings were also erected in 1844 by Frederick and Adam Garner. In the following year houses were erected by Anthony Beaver, Adam Zeigler, and others.
Marklesburg has now forty-eight dwellings, two churches, - Evangelical Lutheran and Methodist Episcopal, - one school-house, three stores, a carriage-factory, two blacksmith-shops, one harness-shop, two shoe-shops, three cabinet- and joiner-shops, and one cooper-shop. It has four clergymen and one physician.
Its post-office, which retains its original name of James Creek, was established in 1840, and John B. Givin appointed first postmaster. Benjamin C.
Lytle, deceased, was the second postmaster. It has two daily mails, one due at 9.55 A.M., and the other at 5.30 P.M.
In August, 1873, a majority of the freeholders of the village petitioned the Court of Quarter Sessions of the county of Huntingdon for a charter of incorporation, by the style and title of "The Borough of Marklesburg." On the 19th of November in the same year the court granted the prayer of the petitioners, and by a decree constituted the village a borough, and a separate election and school district. The boundaries of the borough were defined as follows: "Beginning at a stone heap on the line of Lincoln and Penn townships; thence along said line south thirty-five and one-fourth degrees east one hundred and seventy-six perches to a stone heap; thence, by lands of Henry Boyer, north forty-seven and three-fourths degrees east two hundred and six perches to a post; thence, by lands of Isaac Bowers and Philip Garner, north thirty-five and three-fourths degrees west one hundred and seventy-six perches to a wild cherry; thence, by lands of Philip Garner and David Brumbaugh, south forty-seven and three-fourths degrees west two hundred and six perches to the place of beginning." The area thus included is two hundred and twenty-six acres and eighty-five perches. (In 1881 the boundaries were extended to include lands of D. Brumbaugh, S. Boyer, Isaac Bower, and Philip Garner.) The court fixed the first election in said borough for the election of officers provided by law at the public school-house in said borough on the 23d day of December, A.D. 1873, between the hours of one o'clock P.M. and seven o'clock P.M. of said day, and designated Daniel Harris to give due notice of said election, and the manner thereof, and that John Householder be the judge, and William Smith and William Reed be the inspectors of said election. The election resulted in the choice of E. D. Beaty for burgess, and of W. Reed, S. Johnson, A. H. Crum, P. Garner, G. B. Brumbaugh, and J. H. Wintrode for Town Council. The following persons have served in the capacity of burgess of the borough: S. Johnson, H. Huff, W. Reed, A. H. Crum, D. Brumbaugh, and A. H. Johnston. John G. Beaver is present burgess.
1873-74, E. D. Beatty; 1875, S. Johnston; 1876, H. Huff; 1877, W. Reed; 1878, A. H. Crum; 1879, David Brumbaugh; 1880-81, A. H. Johnston.
1873, Philip Garner, J. H. Wintrode, William Reed, A. H. Crum, G. B. Brumbaugh, Samuel Johnston; 1874, A. Beaver, G. Johnston, William Reed, A. H. Crum, Philip Garner, W. E. Spang; 1875, P. Garner, S. H. Bower, William Reed, A. H. Crum, H. Hess, J. A. Heffner; 1876, L. Bayer, G. D. Beaty, D. Posten, E. D. Miller, W. Hirst, A. H. Johnston; 1877, Samuel Johnston, S. Boyer, D. Brumbaugh, George Krentz, J. Beckhafer, A. H. Johnston; 1878, A. C. Beaver, Samuel Hirst, Martin Hess, John Householder, Henry Huff, Samuel Boyer; 1879, Henry Huff, O. C. Beaver, S. H. Boyer, H. Johnston, George Brumbaugh, W. C. Hirst; 1880, Alfred Slotter, John W. Householder, George Krantz, William Reed, G. B. Brumbaugh, S. H. Boyer; 1881, A. Stoller, S. Hetrick, J. W. Householder, S. Johnston, I. Bowers, D. Brumbaugh.
1873-74, George W. Isett; 1875, Edward Miller, S. Hess (high); 1876-77, J. Prough, G. W. Johnston, W. Hirst (high); 1878, George Johnston, Samuel Hurst (high); 1879-81, G. W. Johnston.
1874, M. N. Heaton, D. Harris, H. Huff, D. Brumbaugh, J. H. Wintrode, George Krantz; 1875, E. D. Beatty, George Krantz; 1876, D. Brumbaugh, G. B. Brumbaugh; 1877, Daniel Harris, Samuel Boyer; 1878, William Reed, Philip Garner; 1879, A. Beaver, A. H. Crum; 1880, D. H. Harris, S. H. Boyer; 1881, Martin Hess, William Reed.
GRANTVILLE is a station on the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad, eleven miles from Huntingdon. The first building erected at this place, in 1854, was a large frame warehouse, which was subsequently fitted up for and occupied as a dwelling-house. In 1866 it was destroyed by fire. On its site John G. Boyer soon afterwards erected a brick dwelling and store-house. At about the same time Samuel B. Garner also erected a brick dwelling-house. The place has at present sixteen dwellings, a station-house, with express-office and telegraph station, a store, a tin-shop, and a carpenter-shop. Grafton is a station on the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad, seven miles from Huntingdon.
The land where the village stands was owned by the late Jacob Fink and John Peightal. In 1870, Andrew F. Grove erected the first house here and named the place Pleasant Grove. Through the efforts of Mr. Grove, a railroad station, an express-office, and a post-office were soon afterwards established. In 1877 the name of the place was changed to Grafton, to avoid confusion in sending and receiving mail-matter. The village has now twenty houses, a church, - Evangelical Lutheran, - a store, a tannery, a wagon-shop, a harness-shop, a blacksmith-shop, and a shoe-shop.
Religious. - Rev. John Dietrich Aurandt was probably the first minister of the Reformed Church who preached statedly in any part of Woodcock Valley. He was born in Lancaster County, Pa., Nov. 8, 1760. In 1794 he removed with his father to Buffalo Valley, Northumberland Co., and in October, 1804, came to Canoe Valley, Huntingdon Co. He purchased a farm near the Yellow Springs, where he lived for a period of twenty-seven years. A short time previous to his death, which occurred April 24, 1831, he removed from Canoe to Hart's Log Valley, in Porter township.
He was licensed to preach in 1806, and after satisfactory examination was ordained in 1809. He preached at Huntingdon, Breidenbach's, Roller's, Harnish's, Williamsburg, Haenlin's, Martinsburg, Potter's, Yellow Creek, Bedford, Grove's (Woodcock Valley), Cassville, Entrekin's, and at some other points. His "charge" extended from Huntingdon to Cumberland, Md., a distance of ninety miles, and from Frankstown to Cassville, a distance of thirty miles. He was a man of good natural abilities and great energy. In stature he was six feet two and a half inches, was well proportioned and of prepossessing appearance. Rev. Christian Weinbrenner was the successor of Rev. Aurandt. He was born Feb. 7, 1789; commenced preaching in 1838. His preaching points were as follows: Grove's, Clover Creek, Hickory Bottom, and Bob's Creek. It is believed that he was never regularly admitted into the Synod of the Reformed Church, and therefore that he never received ordination. He passed himself off as a Reformed minister, however, and was accepted as such. He is affectionately remembered as a sincere, earnest, and pious man. He died at Woodbury, Bedford Co., Feb. 12, 1858. Rev. Weinbrenner was followed by Rev. Theobald Fouse, who was born on Clover Creek, then Huntingdon, but now Blair County, Dec. 26, 1802. He was forty years of age when he entered the ministry. He was ordained in 1842. His charge, known as "Woodcock Valley Charge," consisted of Zion's, Union (Grove's), Jacob's, St. Paul's, Clover Creek, Hickory Bottom, and Sharpsburg. He died Aug. 23, 1873, and is buried in the cemetery at Zion's Church, near Marklesburg.
In November, 1874, Rev. John H. Sykes became the pastor of Woodcock Valley charge. In April, 1878, he was succeeded by Rev. Cyrus H. Reiter, who continued to labor in this field till October, 1881. Rev. H. F. Long, the present pastor, entered upon his pastoral labors Dec. 1, 1881.
The First Lutheran Congregation in what is now Penn township was organized as early as 1804, by Rev. Frederick Haas, a licentiate of Pennsylvania Synod, at Garner's school-house. He preached at this point, at Huntingdon, Williamsburg, Water Street, Clover Creek, Cassville, and Kishacoquillas Valley. He labored in this field for a period of twelve years.
Rev. Henry Heinen was the successor of Rev. Haas. In 1826, Rev. N. G. Sharretts became pastor, his charge consisting of Woodcock Valley and Cassville. Rev. D. Moser followed Rev. Sharretts in 1829, and was pastor of the charge till 1832. Rev. J. Martin, pastor of Williamsburg charge, preached for this congregation, as supply, from 1832 to 1836.
Rev. J. G. Ellinger became pastor in 1838, the charge then consisting of the Woodcock Valley, Cassville, Clover Creek, and Martinsburg congregations. It was during his pastorate, in the year 1840, that the first Lutheran Church edifice (at Garner's) was erected. Rev. Ellinger was followed by Rev. Benjamin Laubach, who died six months after entering upon his pastoral work. Rev. William G. Laitzle was pastor from 1843 to 1847, and was followed by Rev. Jacob N. Burket. Under the pastorate of Rev. Burket, the constitution of St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Marklesburg was adopted. Revs. Peter M. Rightmyer, Cyrus Rightmyer, W. B. Bachtell, J. K. Bricker, J. H. Bratten, M. G. Boyer, and J. Frazier were successively pastors of the charge. The new Lutheran Church at Marklesburg was erected during the pastorate of Rev. Frazier. The church was dedicated July 30, 1871; the dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. Henry Baker, of Altoona.
Rev. Frazier was succeeded by Rev. J. S. Heilig, who continued in charge till April, 1875.
Rev. Matthew G. Boyer is the present pastor, having entered upon the labors of this field for the second time in May, 1875.
The new Lutheran Church at Grafton was dedicated Dec. 22, 1879.
Methodist Society. - Although within the boundaries of Cassville Circuit, and occasionally visited by itinerant preachers, no Methodist congregation was organized in Penn township prior to the year 1847. In that year Rev. Robert Beers, preacher in charge, preached alternately at Marklesburg and at Summers' school-house. In 1848 the congregation at Marklesburg was organized. The first class, in connection with the appointment, was organized in 1847, and consisted of six members, namely, J. Householder and wife, E. Duncan and wife, and R. Gill and wife. In 1851 the first steps were taken towards the erection of a church edifice, and in the summer of 1852 the Methodist Episcopal Church of Marklesburg was dedicated to the service of God, the dedicatory sermon having been preached by Rev. (now Bishop) Thomas Bowman, then principal of Williamsport Seminary.
Among the ministers who have filled the appointment are the following: Revs. R. Beers, J. Spangler, Z. Bland, J. Lloyd, G. W. Bouse, G. Berkstresser, J. A. Coleman, C. Graham, J. Geiss, J. W. Cleaver, J. W. Leckey, C. U. Wilson, J. C. Clarke, J. P. Long, J. A. McKindless, C. White, W. E. Hoch, J. W. Bell, J. Montgomery, and F. Rogerson. G. W. Baker is present supply.
German Baptist Brethren. - Among the first ministers of this denomination who are known to have preached in this neighborhood were Revs. John Shinefelt, Christian Hoover, and John Martin. Elders George Brumbaugh and Isaac Brumbaugh were also among the earlier laborers in this field. The latter is particularly remembered as a sincere and earnest minister of the denomination for more than a quarter of a century. He died Nov. 4, 1871.
The congregation at James Creek was originally a part of the congregation at Clover Creek, in Blair County. It was organized in 1858. The large and substantial church edifice on the line of the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad, near Marklesburg, was erected in 1860. In 1874 and 1875 branches were established at Coffee Run, in Lincoln township, and on the Raystown Branch, in Penn township, and suitable church edifices erected.
Rev. George Brumbaugh, of Grafton, is at present bishop, and George B. Brumbaugh and W. L. Spanogle, assistants.
The Mennonites are represented by a small but highly respectable membership. They worship at the Union (Grove's) Church. The present pastor is Rev. J. Snyder. The township has eight church edifices, as follows; Evangelical Lutheran, at Garner's, erected in 1840; Evangelical Lutheran, at Marklesburg, erected in 1871; Evangelical Lutheran, at Grafton, erected in 1879; Reformed and Mennontes, at Grove's, erected in 1841; Reformed, at Ridge, erected in 1860; Methodist Episcopal, at Marklesburg, erected in 1852; Brethren, near Marklesburg, erected in 1860; Brethren, at Raystown Branch, erected in 1874. The township has eight schoolhouses - five brick and three frame - and two gristmills.
Penn township had in 1881 eight schools kept five months, and a total attendance of three hundred and nine.
Marklesburg, one school five months; total attendance, eighty-two.
Population of Penn: 1850, eight hundred and thirty-nine; 1860, nine hundred and sixty-nine; 1870, eleven hundred and forty-three; 1880, nine hundred and ninety-eight.
Population of Marklesburg, two hundred and thirty-two. It can poll fifty votes.
Penn will compare very favorably with her sister townships in the patriotic zeal and fervor of its population during the late war. From 1861-65 it contributed upwards of one hundred men to the Union army, many of whom sacrificed their lives that the nation might live.
Company C, Fifty-third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Capt. John H. Wintrode, was recruited principally in Penn, and in that part of Hopewell (now Lincoln) township immediately adjoining. This company was composed of the "bravest and best" of her population, - hardy, robust, and stalwart young men.
The company left Marklesburg for Camp Curtin, at Harrisburg, on Monday, Sept. 23,1861. Several hundred persons, the relatives and friends of the soldiers, were assembled at the depot to bid good-by to loved ones. It was probably the most memorable as well as the most sorrowful day in the annals of this community.
ANTHONY BEAVER. - Born at South Mountain, in Franklin County, Pa., he came to Huntingdon County, and married --- ---, and had one son, Henry, and a daughter, who married John Cunningham. He married, second, a Miss Clapper, and had sons, - John, who died at Coffee Run, Samuel, and Anthony. He lived and died in Penn, or Lincoln township, Huntingdon Co.
Henry, a son of Anthony, was born about 1787; married Susannah, daughter of John Graffius, of Raystown Branch, and took up his residence at Williamsburg, Blair Co. He became a school-teacher. Subsequently, and for many years, he was actively engaged in land surveying. He served one term as county commissioner, and was elected twice to the Legislature from Huntingdon County. He was for many years a justice of the peace. He subsequently moved to Martinsburg, now Blair County, where he died in 1842, at the age of fifty-five. His surviving children are John G., who resides at Monongahela City; Henry L., Allegheny City; Lavinia, wife of Isaac Walker, resides at Rimersburg, Clarion Co. Catherine, widow of Adolphus Patterson, resides at Freeport, Armstrong Co.; Susan, wife of Joseph Boyle, resides at Watersonville, Armstrong Co.
1847-50, Charles Magill; 1851-53, Philip Garner: 1854, E. A. Fockler; 1855. Abraham Johnston; 1856, John Megahan; 1857, John Boyer 1858-59, J. McLaughlin; 1860-62, Matthew McCall; 1863, John Megahan; 1864-65, George Long; 1866-67, J. W. Geissinger; 1868, N. A. Miller; 1869, Daniel Harris; 1870-72, Jacob Prough; 1873-74, Nathan Snare; 1875-77, Samuel Seibensperger; 1878-81, Lewis Hood.
1847, John Norris, Daniel Peightel; 1848, John Norris, L. Hoover; 1849, Philip Garner, Jacob Brumbaugh; 1850, John Brumbaugh, John Lee; 1851, Benjamin Grove, David Snare; 1852, David Snare, Samuel Grove; 1853, David Norris, Samuel Hetrick; 1854, David Norris, Samuel Hetrick; 1855, Henry Boyer, Philip Garner; 1856, Samuel Hetrick, Daniel Fink; 1857, Samuel Hetrick, Thomas Norris; 1858, Thomas Norris, D. Peightel; 1859, John Rolland, Robert McCall; 1860, Samuel Garner, Isaac Bowers; 1861, John Geissinger, David Norris; 1862, Andrew Grove, J. K. Isett; 1863, J. K. Isett, A. Grubb; 1864, Michael Garner, M. McCall; 1865, H. Brumbaugh, Samuel Beaver; 1866, Daniel H. Grove, David Norris; 1867, David Norris, Daniel H. Grove; 1868, Benjamin Coble, David Norris; 1869, David Norris, Philip Garner; 1870, D. Norris, N. Snare; 1872, N. Snare, D. Norris; 1873, Jacob Prough, Charles Magill; 1874, Charles Magill, D. Norris; 1875, Reuben Walb, Andrew Grove; 1876, B. Walb, Charles Magill; 1877, R. Walb, M. Garner; 1878, M. Garner, Reuben Walb; 1879, David Norris, Michael Garner; 1880, Joseph Grove, Michael Garner; 1881, Samuel Beaver, David Norris.
1847, James Lee, Samuel Beech; 1848, Abraham Grubb, John Hoover; 1849, John Grove, Jacob Heffner; 1850, John Geissinger, Isaac Bowers; 1851, Benjamin Grove, Jacob Brumbaugh; 1852, George Garner, Solomon Fink; 1853, Michael Garner, John Brumbaugh; 1854, Jacob Heffner, Samuel Reed; 1855, J. H. Wintrode, Samuel Kerr; 1856, A. G. Neff, John C. Moore.
Other GenWeb Sites
Copyright � 1996-2014, All Rights Reserved
Copyright � 1996-2004 Ken Boonie & contributors
Copyright � 2005-2010 Judy Banja & contributors
Copyright 2011-2018, Josie Baughman and Individual file contributors. All rights reserved.