Fayette County Genealogy Project
JAMES WITTER NICHOLSON, for whom Nicholson township was named, was born near Nicholson Gap, in Maryland. He was the second son of Commodore James and Frances (Witter) Nicholson and came to New Geneva as manager of Albert Gallatin's glass factory. He was a brother-in-law of Gallatin, married Ann Griffin, and died on his Elk Hill property near New Geneva, October 6, 1851, aged seventy-eight years. His father Commodore James Nicholson, was senior officer in the navy in 1776, and died in New York city September 2, 1804.