This portion of
The History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania
by J. H. Battle, 1887
is made possible through the efforts of
TRANSCRIBER: Rosana J. Whitenight
249that the region was fertile and the climate healthful, secured a title for his land. By a warrant of April 3, 1769, the tract had originally been surveyed for Hester Barton. This was one of the earliest surveys in the Fishing creek valley. Hester Barton subsequently married Paul Zantzinger, from whom, under date of April 21, 1796, the title passed to Abram Kline. The tract was of considerable extent, and adjoined the lands of Randall Mitchell, Jonathan McClure and Charles Smith in right of William Anderson. Including several tracts on both sides of Green creek, which the Klines secured by patents, their lands comprised an area of six and seven hundred acres.
251Jersey. Thomas Mills, his clerk, thereupon suggested the name Orangeville, which was at once adopted, and has clung to the place ever since.
255Comstock, Hiram C. Eves, Jacob M. Harman, Nathaniel Spear, John Heacock, Orville A. Megargall and Peter Laubach. It was chartered December 7, 1869. Both these societies hold their meetings in the Odd Fellows' hall.