COLUMBIA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

2016-USGenWeb Celebrating 20 Years!

Biographies 8


Rolandus HERBEIN , miller, P.O. Roaring Creek, was born in Locust Township, this county, August 12, 1841, a son of Peter K. and Catherine (ANINS) HERBEIN, natives of Berks County and of German descent. His great-grandfather came from Germany and settled in Berks County, whence his grandfather David came to this county about 1815, settled in Slabtown, bought a property and operated a grist-mill for a few years. He then bought a small farm, and a few years later a tract of land on which he lived until his death. Our subject‚s father was but a small boy when the family moved here. He learned the miller‚s trade, which he followed all his life, and died in 1869, the father of seven children: Rolandus, Albert, David, Susan, Peter, Mary A. (wife of Geroge STRICKER) and Sarah T. Our subject was reared to the miler‚s trade, and worked for his father until the outbreak of the Rebellion, when in August, 1861, he enlisted in the Catawissa Guards in the nine-months‚ service. They went from Catawissa to Harrisburg; thence to Washington, D.C., and participated in their first battle at Antietam. After that engagement Mr. HERBEIN was seized with typhiod fever, and was taken to the field hospital at harper‚s Ferry, and lay there some weeks when his father came and took him home. Shortly after his recovery he took a relapse and was moved to Harrisburg hospital, where he remained about a mongh; was taken to Little York, where he remained until his regiment was discharged; then he returned home, and has since suffered from a nervous disease. After his return he engaged in milling until 1880, when he retired, being unable to work. Mr. HERBEIN has served as township auditor, judge of elections and school director several terms. In 1883 he was messenger in the House of Representatives at Harrisburg. He married, in November 1866, Lucy A. FETTERMAN. Mrs. HERBEIN is a member of the I.O.O.F., No. 310, Numidia. In politics he is a Democrat. He owns his lot and residence in Slabtown, and a small tract of woodland containing about eighteen acres. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 495)


Silas H. JOHNSON (deceased) was born in Roaringcreek Township, this county, August 28, 1809, a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Roberts) Johnson, natives of Bucks County, Penn., and of German descent. His great-grandfather came from Holland and his great-grandmother from Wales. His grandfather came from Bucks County to Columbia at an early day and settled in Mine Gap, where he built a small log cabin and there lived until his death, making baskets and brooms. Our subject‚s father came to Columbia County in 1806, and settled in roaringcreek Township, where he bought a farm from Joseph STRAHL and there resided a number of years. He was a stone-mason and followed the trade in early life. Later he moved to Locust Township, and there died in 1847. He was the father of fourteen children, four of whom survive: Levi, residing in Beaver Dam, Wis.; Martha, in Numidia, Columbia Co., Penn.; Silas H. and Susan, wife of Jonathan W. BLACK. Our subject was reared on a farm and learned the carpenter‚s trade which he followed for five or six years. He was then employed on public work for six or eight years, and saved up enough to buy a farm of twelve and one-half acres. This he found too small to plow and too big to hoe, so he sold it and bought thirty-five acres. With that purchase also he was displeased, and accordingly sold it, and paid what he received on the farm he now owns. He first bought ninety-three acres in a wild state, and at the time of his death owned 155 acres of good land. This farm was all timber and the consequence was that he had to begin in the woods. He cleared it all off and built a small house which is still standing and is over fifty years old. There is now the second set of buildings on the farm and all that he accumulated was the result of his own hard labor and economy. He married, in November, 1831, Eliza, daughter of Jacob and Barbara (FISHER) RUNK. Mr. and Mrs. JONHSON were the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living: Henry B., in Oliphant, Luzerne County; George W., in Minnesota; Lloyd W., in Mount Carmel, Iowa; Mary E., wife of Henry T. JOHN, Mount Carmel; Jacob R., in Marshall County, Iowa; Lizey and Isaac C., residing in this township. Mrs. JOHNSON died in 1876, a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is buried in the McINTYRE Cemetery. Mr. JOHNSON served as justice of the peace a short time to fill a vacancy; was also supervisor of the township and served six years as school director. At the time of his death, which occurred February 12, 1887, Mr. JOHNSON was one of the old residents of Columbia County, having been identified with the interests of it for over three-quarters of a century. In politics he was a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 495)


David LEIBY, farmer, P.O. Pensyl, was born in Shamokin Township, Northumberland Co., Penn., December 22, 1822 a son of Frederick and Catherine (PENSYL) LEIBY. His father was a native of Greenwich Township, Berks Co., Penn., and his mother of Shamokin Township, Northumberland County, and of German descent. His grandfather, PENSYL, was born in Reteberg, Germany, came to this country when ten years of age and settled with his parents in Northumberland County, where he followed farming all his life. His grandfather LEIBY was born in Berks County, but moved to Northumberland County about 1775, where he followed farming all his life, and was among the first settlers of that county. Our subject‚s father was born in Berks County, and moved with his father to Northumberland County, where he lived until 1817, when he came to this county and settled near Numidia, in Locust Township, where he bought 150 acres of land which was patented. He lived on it nearly twenty years before paying for it, and never paid any rent. The land was nearly all timber, and he had a hard time clearing it off; bears and panthers at that time were also numerous. He died on this farm in 1863, and is buried in Numidia Cemetery. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, for which his widow drew a pension for a number of years. He was the father of the following children: Daniel (deceased), George (deceased), John, David, Samuel, Hannah (wife of Solomon RIDER), Sarah (widow of Jacob HOOVER), and Polly. David, our subject, was only five years of age when his father moved to this county, and remained with the latter until his death. In 1865 he bought the farm where he now lives, consisting of 150 acres of land, and has lived here since. When a boy he worked hard for his father, helping him to clear the land, and by his industry alone has acquired all that he now owns. He married, in February, 1850, Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel and Maria RAUP, and to them were born eleven children, eight living: Caroline, wife of Michael STINE; Lloyd married Amanda STINE; William H. married Catherine HONERBERGER; Abram L. married Catherine MOWRY; Mahala, Hannah, Ida I. and Minni A. Mr. LEIBY and family are members of the Presbyterian Church. His ancestors figured prominently in Northumberland County, and his father was a prominent early settler of Columbia County, of which Mr. LEIBY is a substantial citizen. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 496)


Abraham RICE, retired merchant and farmer, Beaver Valley, was born near Heidleberg, Baden, February 21, 1829, a son of Samuel and Bertha (STERBERGT) RICE, natives of Baden, where the father was a drover and butcher. Our subject commenced life for himself as a clerk in his native country, and followed that occupation until 1848, when he took passage on a sailing vessel bound for America. After a voyage of over a month he landed at New York, where he remained about two months and then moved to Easton, Penn., where he engaged first at peddling and later at clerking. He remained at Easton about three years and then went to Ringtown, Schuylkill County, where he clerked for two years; thence moved to Port Carbon, where he clerked for the same firm as at Ringtown, Culp & Strauss, and remained three years. Desiring to start in business for himself, in April, 1859, he came to Numidia, Columbia County, bought a stock of goods and conducted a general mercantile business until 1868. He then purchased a store and property at Beaver Valley and carried on the mercantile trade until 1876, when he retired. He married, at Port Carbon, Penn., August 9, 1856, Miss Sarah PARENT, a native of Northumberland County, and a daughter of Ephraim and Anna Sophia PARENT, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. RICE have six children: Clara, wife of Benjamin MICHAEL, residing in Beaver Township; Paulina, wife of Davis RUNYAN, a telegraph operator at Beaver Valley station; Sophia, married to Frank A. ROBINS, residing in Shamokin, Northumberland County; Samuel P.; Emanuel, who married Miss Anna REEDER, and resides in Beaver Township, and Nathan. Mr. RICE has about 300 acres of land in Beaver Township and forty acres on Roaring creek, some of which he rents out and some he has farmed. He is a member of the following : A. F. & A. M., at Catawissa; the I. O. O. F., in which he has passed all the chairs; the K. of P., being one of the charter members and originators of Lynchburg Lodge at Beaver Valley (still retains the charter at his home). He was the representative to the State lodge as long as the local lodge was in existence, and was District Deputy of the lodge for seven years. He also belongs to the Free Sons of Israel, of Beaver Valley after coming here, and held the office continuously until the coming in of the present administration. He was jury commissioner of Columbia County for the three-year term ending January 1, 1886. Mr. RICE has been a very active man, taking a live interest in public affairs, and is the present overseer of the poor of Beaver Township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372-3)


Albert PETIT, operator for the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, at Shuman‚s, was born in Pine Township, Lycoming Co., Penn., December 3, 1857. His grand-father PETIT was a soldier under Bonaparte, in Russia. His parents, Francis and Virginia (GUILLAUME) PETIT, were born in France near the Swiss border; when young, came to this country and were married in New York. Their first permanent settlement was in Cogan House Township, Lycoming County, where the father purchased a farm which he still owns and conducts. During his early life Francis PETIT served an apprenticeship at the mason's trade, and also a term in the French army. To him and his wife were born seven children, five of whom are living: Augustus, Albert, Theodore, Clare and Florence. Our subject was reared on the farm and remained with his father until twenty-two years of age, when he went to Oberlin, Ohio, to learn telegraphy. In the spring of 1882 he entered the service of the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, and was located at Salladasburg. After one year he was transferred to Waterville; thence to Tamanend, and after fourteen months to County Line Station No. 3. Fifteen months later he came to his present station, and is still in the employ of the Tidewater Company. He was married May 27, 1886, to Miss Emma D. BELL. Both are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372)


M. W. McHENRY, one of the proprietors of the Beaver Valley mill, was born in Fishingcreek Township, Columbia Co., Penn., June 4, 1826, a son of Daniel and Mary (COLEMAN) McHENRY. His grandfather was one of the pioneer settlers of Stillwater, Fishingcreek Township, was a farmer by occupation and at one time the owner of immense tracts of land in the Fishing creek country. Daniel McHENRY was born in Fishingcreek Township, followed farming and also had two or three saw-mills in the locality; he cut a great deal of lumber, and was a very active man, retaining his vigor to the last; it may be related of him that he was elected assessor at the age of seventy and went his rounds on foot; was also supervisor and held other local and township offices. He died in March, in the eightieth year of his age, his widow surviving him some three years; both are buried at Stillwater, Fishingcreek Township. They were the parents of eleven children, nine of whom are living: Benjamin, residing at Benton, this county; Mary, widow of Elisha OLVERSON; William, in Sullivan County, Penn.; Adaline, wife of Thomas PEELER; Martha K., wife of Jacob CAREY, residing in Cambria; M. W., our subject; U. P., residing at Millville; Joseph, at Stillwater; Elizabeth, wife of George LAUBAUCH, who died at the age of about seventy; Charlotte, wife of George LAUBAUCH, residing at Orangeville, this county, and Sarah, wife of James EDGAR, who died at the age of about seventy. Our subject was reared in Fishingcreek Township and made his home with his parents until he had reached the age of about eighteen years, when he went to Huntington Township, Luzerne County, to learn the miller's trade at the Dodson mill. He remained there three years and after learning his trade moved to Greenwood Township, this county, and took charge of the Iola mills of that place, remaining one year. He was then employed at Jones‚ mill, Fishingcreek Township, over one year; Lingtrell‚s mill, Luzerne County, three years, and Dodson‚s mill, Luzerne County, over three years. He then bought a house and lot at Town Hill, Luzerne County, and lived there while he worked at different mills at Huntsville, Luzerne County, three years and six months. He then farmed for two years in Sugarloaf Township, Columbia County, but his house and barn were destroyed by fire, and he resumed the milling business at Swortnort‚s mill, Benton Township, where he remained seven years; worked at Franklin mill, Roaring creek, twelve years, the last two years and a half renting the mill; then at Eyer‚s Grove mill, Greenwood township, six years. He then bought a lot in that place and built on it, and for one year and a half engaged at Fowlersville mill. After that he went to Helm‚s mill, Benton Township, and was there engaged until coming to take charge of the mill of which he is now one of the partners. He was married in this county on the 18th of April, 1850, to Miss Sarah Ann MONTGOMERY, a native of Washingtonville, now in Montour county, and daughter of Samuel and Mary Ann MONTGOMERY. Her father was born at Lewisburg, Penn., and both her parents are buried at Beech Grove, Luzerne County. Mr. and Mrs. McHENRY were the parents of ten children, seven of whom are living: Ruggles, in Franklin Township; Alice, wife of George WILLIAMS, in Catawissa; Margaret Adaline, wife of Charles HAZLETON, in Dallas Township, Luzerne County; H. G., miller at Iola mills; Lizzie, wife of George J. MUNSON, merchant at Beaver Valley; Blanche B., wife of Sherman HELLER, her father‚s partner, and Charles W., miller at Miner‚s mill, Luzerne County; the deceased are Minnie, Annie and Nettie. Mr. McHENRY has a house and a lot of six acres at Eyer‚s Grove. He and his wife are an old family of the county, and is a miller of wide practical experience, having followed the business for forty-four consecutive years. He is constantly improving and remodeling his present enterprise. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 370-1)


F. G. LAUER, superintendent of Tide-water Pipe Line Pumping Station, No. 5, Shuman‚s Station, was born at Phoenixville, Chester Co., Penn., February 10, 1854. His parents, Maurice and Catherine (LOEB) LAUER, natives of Berlin, Germany, came to this country when young, and were married in Philadelphia, moving thence to Chester County, Penn. The father was a chemist, having acquired his knowledge of the science in his native country, and followed it after removing to Chester County. In 1859 he and family moved to Laporte, Sullivan Co., Penn., where he kept hotel until his death, may 8, 1886. His widow still resides in Laporte and conducts the "Mountain House." Our subject commenced to learn the machinist trade at the age of sixteen years in Camden, N.J., at the national Armor works, where he remained two years. He then went to Muncy, Lycoming Co., Penn., where he finished a five years‚ apprenticeship by serving three years with P. M. Trumbower & Co. After completely learning his trade he worked there about six weeks, and then went to the Dixson Manufacturing Company at Scranton, where he remained nearly two years, putting together the fine parts of locomotives, and some of his work was sent to the Centennial Exhibition at Philadelphia. He was then employed in the machinery department of the Reading Railroad shops, at Catawissa. Returning to Muncy he had charge of the shops there about one year; was then employed by Waldron & Sproat, Muncy, about six months; then worked four weeks for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Renovo, and again returned to Muncy, remaining several months as assistant engineer for his present employers; thence he went to Williamsport, and after seven weeks came to Beaver Valley and took charge of the works of the company at this place. Mr. LAUER was married in Lycoming County December 20, 1876, to Miss Allie LILLIE, and one child, Roy G., was born to them. Mr. LAUER is a member of the Masonic lodge at Catawissa. In politics he is a solid Republican. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369-70)


The DAVIS FAMILY , post office Zion‚s Grove, Schuylkill County. David DAVIS, one of the early settlers of Columbia County, a native of Philadelphia, and a minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, came to this county in 1814. His father-in-law, ROBERTS, had taken up land in what is now Beaver Township, and David DAVIS took possession of same, where he lived a number of years and then removed to Roaringcreek Township where he died. His wife died several years prior and both were buried in the Michael Cemetery, Beaver Township. They were the parents of fourteen children, only two of whom are now living, John, in Hastings, Adams Co., Neb., and William in Beaver Township. Isaac DAVIS, the second of their children, was born May 29, 1792, in Philadelphia. His father moved from there to Sunbury, Northumberland County, and there our subject remained until he was sixteen years of age; then removed with his father to Columbia County and remained with him until he was twenty years of age. He then bought a piece of land in Beaver Township and lived on it (with the exception of three years spent in Chester County) until his death. He married in Chester County in 1817 Miss Julianna THOMAS, a native of that county, a daughter of Samuel and Esther THOMAS. Mr. and Mrs. DAVIS came to Columbia County and here resided until their death, he dying September 30, 1868, and his widow March 26, 1872; both are buried in the family cemetery on the old homestead. They were the parents of the following named children: those living David, a resident of Greenfield, Hancock Co., Ind.; Julianna, widow of Robert C. DIEHL, in Hopeville, Luzerne Co., Penn.; Maria, Anthony Wayne and Eliza Jane; those deceased John Wesley, William A., Isaac Roberts, Esther Ann, wife of William MATTHEWS, and Margaret Ann, wife of Henry F. BIRD, who is also deceased. The DAVIS family are members of the Methodist Church. Politically Isaac DAVIS was a Republican. Five hundred and ninety-one acres of land belong to the heirs of Isaac DAVIS, deceased. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 368-9)


J. F. HASSRICK, an employe of the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, Beaver Valley, was born at Schenectady, N. Y., June 24, 1857, a son of Julius and Catherine HASSRICK, the former of whom is a farmer, residing in Montgomery, Lycoming Co., Penn.; the latter died at Gloucester, Atlantic Co., N.J., when our subject was but three years old. He was but one year old when his parents moved to Gloucester, N.J., and after residing there about nine years the father moved to Egg Harbor City, where he followed the butchering business. Later they moved to Allenwood, Lycoming Co., Penn., and here our subject followed railroading on the Catawissa Railroad (now the Philadelphia & Reading). He then went to Montgomery to learn the machinist business with Houston, Smith & Co., and was employed by them something over two years. He then engaged with the Tide-water Pipe Line Company as patrolman, walking the line from Williamsport to Sollidaysburg. He was thus engaged about two months when he went to Olmstead, Potter County, and was there employed at the Tide-water company‚s station as operator until August, 1882, when he was transferred to the company‚s station at Shuman‚s or Beaver Valley, where he was operator until December, 1885. He was then promoted to the position of assistant engineer of the station, and has been connected with the works longer than any one now at Shuman‚s Station. He married, July 2, 1884, Miss Mary BROWN, a native of Roulette, Potter County, a daughter of Philip and Helen BROWN. Mr. and Mrs. HASSRICK are the parents of one child, Romain Calvin. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369)


Daniel L. LINGLEY, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Beaver Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 15, 1850, a son of Daniel and Mary (LEHR) LINGLEY. Jacob LINGLEY, grandfather of our subject, was born in Berks County, and from there after his marriage came to Columbia County and settled at what is now called Mifflin Cross-roads, in Beaver Township. He was a farmer by occupation, which he followed until his death in 1844, his widow surviving him until 1853; both are buried in St. Peter‚s churchyard in Beaver Township. The father of our subject was born and reared in this township, and has always followed farming. He married Miss Mary LEHR, a native of Columbia County, a daughter of Henry and Catherine LEHR. Her parents, natives of this State are now deceased, and are both buried in St. Peter‚s Church graveyard. Mr. and Mrs. LINGLEY were the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living, our subject being fourth. Both parents reside in Beaver Township. Our subject was reared to farm life, and remained with his parents until thirty-one years of age, when he commenced in mercantile business at his present location. He was married in Columbia County November 5, 1874, to Miss Catherine BREDBENNER, a native of Columbia county, and a daughter of Nathan and Leah (SWANK) BREDBENNER. They were born in this county, but their parents came from Berks County, and are now deceased. Nathan BREDBENNER died in March, 1881, and is buried in St. Peter‚s churchyard. His widow makes her home with Mr. LINGLEY. Our subject and wife were the parents of five children, of whom four are living: Nathan Tillman, William Lloyd, Ida Leah and Mary Alice. Mr. and Mrs. LINGLEY are members of the Lutheran Church. He has held the office of tax collector one term. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 370)


Return to Biographies Page


PAGenWeb       PA USGenWeb Archives    USGenWeb