COLUMBIA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

2016-USGenWeb Celebrating 20 Years!

Biographies 7


ELIAS EARNEST, farmer, P.O. Pensyl, was born in Columbia County, Penn., February 4, 1852, to John and Maria (GEORGE) EARNEST. The father was a native of Carlisle, Columbia Co., Penn., and there learned the trade of a blacksmith. At the age of twenty-one he moved to Columbia County and built a blacksmith shop, in which he carried on his trade a number of years. He bought a farm during the latter part of his life and followed agricultural pursuits until his death, January 20, 1882. After coming to this county he was married to Maria GEORGE, who is yet living and makes her home with Elias. Her husband is buried in Numidia churchyard. Our subject was reared in Locust Township, where he has always resided on the old homestead. His father willed him the farm of eighty-three acres, to which he has since added, making in all ninety-three acres at present. He has made farming his occupation. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 493)


OLIVER EVANS, farmer, P.O. Roaring Creek, was born in what is now Locust Township, this county, July 12, 1824; son of Evan and Sarah (OLIVER) EVANS. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of New Jersey. His paternal grandfather came from Wales and his grandmother from England. His grandfather settled in what is now Locust Township, in this county, on the farm adjoining where our subject now resides. He bought a tract of land about a century ago and followed farming until his death, December 15, 1831. Subject‚s father was born in 1785, married February 23, 1815, and settled on the farm now owned by his son. He was a prominent man in his day, and was often called upon to act as arbitrator, etc.; was well educated for his time; taught school for a number of years, and was looked up to by his neighbors. Politically he was a Whig. His death occurred December 22, 1843. Sarah, his wife, died December 13, 1878, aged ninety years, two months and ten days; she had made her home in the house where Oliver resides from the time she began housekeeping until her death. She and her husband were the parents of ten children, nine of whom lived to manhood and womanhood (six are still living): Mehetabel, widow of George HUGHES, of Catawissa; Jane, wife of Peter K. MENSCH, in Roaringcreek; Harriet; Oliver; Lavinia, widow of Thomas BECKER, in Plymouth, Penn.; and Mary, widow of Charles DYER, in Roaringcreek. John died October 26, 1817; Ann, wife of Enoch WOLVERTON, died in April, 1860; James E. died in the service of his country, in the regular army, at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Penn., November 21, 1862; Sarah, wife of Amos STRAUSSER, died October 12, 1886, in Franklin County, Mo. Our subject was reared on the farm where he now resides and which has always been his home. It consists of fifty-eight acres of good land. He was married February 28, 1861, to Deborah A., daughter of John C. and Rachel (HIBBS) MEYERS, natives of Northumberland County, Penn., born before Columbia County was taken from Northumberland. Mr. EVANS and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. EVANS has in his possession an old pocket-book that belonged to his grandfather Oliver. It is probably over one hundred years old and contains receipts dated 1772, and other papers dated more than one hundred years ago. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 493-4)


WILLIAM FETTERMAN, farmer, P.O. Numidia, was born in his presentresidence, Locust Township, January 16, 1842, a son of Jonas and Mary A.(BARRINGER) FETTERMAN, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His grandfather George came here from Berks County over a century ago, and settled on the place where our subject now lives. He took up about 1,000 acres of land and first built a little log cabin in which he lived a number of years. He also built the present residence of our subject about three-quarters of a century ago, and was among the first settlers of this county. He was a stone-mason by trade which he followed during the early part of his life, but later followed farming. He was the father of eleven children, five of whom survive, viz.: Elizabeth FISHER, Sally YEAGER, Catharine HAMER, John and Joshua. The father of this family died in 1859, and is buried in the cemetery of the Evangelical Church, of which denomination he was a member. Jonas FETTERMAN was born on the farm where his son, our subject, now resides. He was a farmer and remained on the old homestead which he owned at the time of his death. After that event our subject bought the homestead, where he has always resided. This farm was taken up, cleared, etc., by the FETTERMAN family and is still owned by the name. In 1862 William FETTERMAN enlisted in company H, One-hundred and Thirty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served nine months. He participated in other engagements at Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, which were hard-fought battles. He married, October 21, 1873, Catharine LEWIS, and they are the parents of three children: Lizzie, Nola and Hattie. Mr. and Mrs. FETTERMAN reared a family of seven children, of whom the following are still living: Catherine, wife of David S. HELWIG; Rebecca, wife of William STEFNOGH, residing at Berwick, this county; Charlotte, wife of Amandus BILLEG; Henrietta, wife of Michael FETTEROLF. Mr. FETTERMAN‚s farm now consists of 123 acres; his grandfather took up a large tract, but sold it all off with the exception of 200 acres at the time of his death. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 494)


DAVID HELWIG , farmer, P.O. Roaring Creek, was born in Columbia County, Penn., April 30, 1833, a son of Peter and Charity (MARTZ) HELWIG, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His great-grandfather came from Germany, and his grand-father, Frederick HELWIG, came from Berks County to Columbia County about 1800, and settled near Catawissa, where he bought a large tract of land and lived until his death. He was quite an extensive farmer in his day, and very successful. In his political views he is a stanch Democrat. Our subject‚s father was born in 1801; was reared to the shoemaker‚s trade, which he followed off and on; also learned the mason‚s trade, at which he worked for several years. After his marriage he settled on the farm where Peter HELWIG now lives, and there resided for a number of years, when he sold out and moved to Catawissa, and lived a retired life until his death in 1881. His wife died some years before. They were the parents of nine children, five of whom yet survive: David, William, Eliza, Peter and Mary (wife of Daniel FENSTERMACHER). Our subject was reared on a farm, and at the age of twenty-four married and commenced business for himself. He farmed until 1873, when he bought the farm of fifty acres where he now resides. A year later he moved on it and added to it, until now it consists of eighty acres of fine land. He erected a good residence and a fine barn at a cost of about $3,000. He married, in May, 1867, Sarah, daughter of George GRAIG and Martha (FOX) and the following named children were born to them: Henry, wife of Ida GASTON; Joseph W., married to Sarah WAGNER; Maria, wife of Galen YEAGER; George B. MCAMSEY; Charles; Hannah (deceased), Susan, Maude and Edward. The parents are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. HELWIG has held the office of school director and tax collector. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 494)


C. HENRICKS, farmer, P.O. Numidia, was born in Prussia, Germany,February 6, 1847, a son of Joseph and Sophia (DRIFS) HENRICKS, nativesof Germany. His father followed farming in the old country, and in 1867 with his family took passage on a sailing vessel at Hamburg, and landed in New York after a voyage of six weeks. They came direct from New York to Ashland, Schuylkill Co., Penn., where they settled, and there our subject and his father worked in the Big Mine Run mines for about three years. Our subject then learned the carpenter‚s trade, and followed it until moving to his present residence, with the exception of about two years, when he again worked in the mines. His father died in 1869 in Ashland, but his mother is still living and resides in Cook County, Ill. They were the parents of nine children, six of whom are still living: Charles; Rechor, wife of Joe BLANCH; John; Caroline, wife of Charles BLANCHE; Mona and Sophia. In 1880 our subject bought the farm where he now lives, consisting of 108 acres. April 8, 1869, he married Minnie HANS, and the following children were born to them: Frederick, John (deceased), Charles, Hannah (deceased), William, Christian, August, Martyn and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. HENRICKS are members of the Lutheran Church, and he is also a member of the Grange. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 494-5)


Daniel LEIBY, Sr., (deceased) was born in Northumberland County, Penn., in June, 1808, a son of Frederick and Catherine (PENSYL) LEIBY, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His grandfather, Frederick, came from Germany when quite small with his parents, and settled in Shamokin, Northumberland Co., Penn. He was a cooper, a weaver, a farmer and a "Jack of all trades." He owned a farm and was quite extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits. He moved to this county about 1818 and settled where Joseph CARLAND now resides, and bought a large tract of land on which he made all the improvements, and the houses which are yet standing are built of brick. He served in the war of 1812. His wife used to load a couple of sacks of grain on her horse and take them to the mill at Hamburg, being three days on the round trip. Daniel, our subject, was about twelve years old when his parents moved to this county, and remained at home until he became of age. After his marriage he settled at Slabtown, where he lived two years. In 1847 he bought the place where Daniel, Jr., now resides, it all being timber. By hard labor for many years he accomplished a great deal, cleared it all off, built a house and barn and here lived until his death in December, 1882. He was twice married; first to Mary YOST, by whom he had five children, two living, Elias and Jeremiah. The deceased are Reuben, Catherine and George W. Mr. LEIBY next married March 13, 1853, Susanna DILLEPLAW, a native of Oley Township, Berks County, and of French descent. Her grandparents came from France and settled in Berks County, where they purchased farms and followed agricultural pursuits. Eight children were born to his second marriage, seven of whom survive: Daniel, Jr., Jackson, Mary E., Hannah, James M., Emma and Andrew. By a former marriage Mrs. LEIBY was the mother of two children, Sarah and Margaret.

Mr. LEIBY was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was deacon and elder for many years, and always took a deep interest in religious affairs. He had a host of friends, and was often called upon by his neighbors to "doctor" their horses and cattle, to cure snake bites, etc. He had held a number of township offices, and was looked up to as a through Christian man, honest in all his dealings, and was deeply mourned by his family and friends. Daniel, Jr., was born march 14, 1853, and remained at home until of age. He worked out a few years, and in the winter of 1885 bought the old homestead consisting of 140 acres. He was married March 25, 1875, to Rebecca Elizabeth STINE, and seven children were born to them, five of whom are living: Maggie S., Nettie V., James E., Susan M. and Grover Cleveland. The deceased were Nora A. and an infant. Mr. and Mrs. LEIBY are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 496)


Samuel P. LEVAN, farmer, P.O. Newlin, was born in what is now Locust Township, this county, October 21, 1827, a son of Benjamin and Mary (POE) LEVAN, antives of Pennsylvania, and of French descent. His great-grandfather, with three brothers, came from France, and settled in the lower counties of Pennsylvania, where they lived and died. His grandfather, a farmer, was born in Berks County, Penn., came to this county about a century ago, and bought a large tract of land on which he built and resided until his death. Benjamin LEVAN, subject‚s father, was a large land owner, and built the stone residence now occupied by John LEVAN. This is now three-quarters of a century old, and wa in its early days considered a very elegant home. Benjamin used to keep as many as six horses, employing a large number of hired hands, and was in his time the most extensive farmer in his neighborhood. He died about 1845, in Centre County, Penn., and his wife in the State of Illinois, where she is buried. They were the parents of eleven children, only three of whom are living: John, Samuel P. and Daniel. Our subject was reared on a farm, and remained at home until fourteen years of age, when he hired out on a farm. He burned charcoal one summer and chopped wood one winter, and worked at Michael MOWRY‚s five years, until he became of age, when he got a suit of clothes and $100 in money, and was sent to the ministry. He was connected with his brother Numidia and Kerntown in mercantile business for three or four years, and also drove a huckster wagon over the county when it was still thinly settled. After his marriage he moved to where he now resides, and rented the place for twelve years, and at the end of that time bought the farm which he still owns, consisting of 127 acres. He was drafted October 16, 1861, in Company I, One Hundred and Seventy-eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, served nine months, and paid $100 for a substitute.

He was married, in September, 1856, to Charlotte FOX, who bore him six children, four living: Wilson, Laura, Ruthana and Kimber, and died in July, 1883. Mr. LEVAN married, in March, 1885, Rosanna GABLE, by whom he has one childųFrank T. Mr. and Mrs. LEVAN are members of the Methodist Church. He is also a member of the Grange; has been inspector of elections, and is one of the prominent and successful farmers of Locust Township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 496-7)


DANIEL P. LEVAN, farmer, P. O. Numidia, was born in Roaringcreek Township, this county, may 21, 1831, a son of Benjamin and Mary (POE)LEVAN, natives of Pennsylvania and of French descent. His great-grandfather and two brothers, who were all Huguenots, left France on account of religious persecution, and settled in Berks County, Northumberland County, took up a tract of land, but did not remain, coming to Columbia County, and settling in Roaringcreek Township, where he owned a large tract of land. He lived here until his death, engaged in farming. Our subject‚s maternal grandfather, POE, served in the Revolutionary war. Our subject‚s father was born in Berks County, and came with his parents to Columbia County, where he became a large landholder and an extensive farmer. He died in Centre County, Penn., in 1842, and his wife in Stephenson County, Ill., where she is buried near Freeport. (For further ancestral history, see sketch of S.P. LEVAN.) Our subject was reared on a farm, and at the age of eleven years went to live with his sister Mary, with whom he remained about five years. At the age of seventeen he commenced to learn the blacksmith‚s trade with Casper SHUTT, at Slabtown, and served three years. He then followed his trade about twenty-four years, a part of which time was spent in Schuylkill County. In the fall of 1864 he moved to where he now resides, bought forty-two acres and put up all the improvements, which are first-class and extensive, and now owns ninety-five acres of good land.

He gave up his trade in 1874, and has turned his attention since that time to farming, at which he is successful. He has been twice married; first in May, 1857, to Anna STOKES, who was accidentally killed in 1858 by being thrown from a wagon, her skull being fractured. In May, 1860, he married Sarah J. CHRISTIAN, who bore him ten children: Anna (wife of Henry PERRY), Rebecca (wife of Charles S. W. FOX), Flora A., Walter, Elmer, Amy S., D. Raymond, William C., Emma C. (deceased), and Benjamin F. (who was killed by lightning in 1878 when ten years of age). Mr. and Mrs. LEVAN are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of the Grange. His great-grandparents and his grandmother (then an infant) were captured by the Indians in Berks County, taken to Wyoming Valley, Luzerne Co., Penn., and kept a prisoner for seven years. The parents became separated and the mother had to marry a chief to save her live. When she and her child were aided in escaping, she returned to find her husband married again, he believing that she had been killed. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 497)


LEMUEL PARRY, farmer, P.O. Bear Gap, was born in the southern part of Wales, April 9, 1822, a son of Lemuel and Eleanor (DAWS) PARRY, also natives of that country, where the father lived and died. Prior to coming to America our subject worked on a farm and also in the iron works. In 1851 he left his native country, took passage in a sailing vessel at Liverpool, G. B., and after a voyage of five weeks and three days, arrived in New York. Thence he came to Pennsylvania and remained about a month at Tamaqua, after which he went to Minersville, Schuylkill County, and worked in the mines until 1866. In 1862 he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, under Capt. Leib of Ashland, and served nine months, participating in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. In the spring of 1866 he moved to where he now resides, and bought 135 acres, on which he has made nearly all the improvements, and has one of the nicest residences in the township. He married, December 24, 1854, Joann POWELL, a native of Carmondale, whose parents were also natives of South Wales. To Mr. and Mrs. PARRY eleven children were born, eight of whom are living: Lemuel, John, William, Mary E., David, Clara E., Even T. and Chester A. Mr. PARRY commenced life in this country with very little capital, but by industry and hard labor has acquired a comfortable home. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 497)


Thomas SEABORNE, merchant and farmer, P.O. Newlin, was born in the county of Hereford, England, November 8, 1842, a son of Philip and Catherine (HARPER) SEABORNE, (the latter of Welsh descent) and both natives of England. They were the parents of nine children: William, John, Catherine (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), Margaret, Thomas, Mary, Anna, Jane (deceased). The father who was a farmer, died in June, 1886. Our subject was reared on a farm in his native country and also worked in the fireworks in Wales. At the age of twenty-four he took passage at Liverpool for America, and after a voyage of eleven days landed at New York, May 23, 1866. He intended making Chicago his destination, but finding his funds insufficient he stopped off at Minersville, Penn., and worked in the mines one year. He then farmed three years for a man who wanted an English farmer, after which he married and moved to Columbia County, where he rented a farm in Locust Township. After six months he moved to Centralia, and there engaged for six months in mercantile business until 1872, when he bought the property where he now resides. Here he engaged in mercantile business until 1874, when he sold out his stock to Lee & Rhodes, moved to Ashland, Penn., and again engaged in mercantile business until January, 1877. At that time he moved back to Newlin, where he has since been engaged in mercantile business, carrying a general stock. He was married, in November, 1869, to Margaret BRYANT. Mr. and Mrs. SEABORNE are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns forty-six acres of land and his store building and residence, and his way of doing business is sure to lead to success. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 498)


Livingston YEAGER, tanner, Slabtown, was born in Locust Township, this county, May 22, 1847, a son of John YEAGER, who married a Miss BYERLY, and both were natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. His grandfather, John, came from Berks County to Columbia County when quite young, settled in Slabtown, and built the first tanyard in this section of the county. He followed tanning several years, and then by trade, owned four or five farms, and resided here until his death. Our subject‚s father was born here, and reared to the tanning business, which he followed until his death in 1867. Livingston YEAGER was reared in Slabtown, and when a boy learned the tanning business with his father. At the age of twenty-two he commenced for himself, and worked for his brother Millington in the upper tanyard for about four years. He worked at Elysburg, Light Street and Bloomsburg, and in the spring of 1881 took possession of his father‚s old tanyard, and has conducted it very successfully to the present time. In February 1869, he married Joanna LAUBACH, and five children have been born to them: Kersey, Clarence, Ezra, Charles and Minnie. Mr. and Mrs. YEAGER are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 499)


William B. SNYDER, of the firm of SNYDER Bros., merchants, Roaringville, was born in Locust Township, this county, June 29, 1858, a son of Mayberry and Margaret (YEAGER) SNYDER, natives of Pennsylvania and of English-German descent. His grandfather, john SNYDER, came from New Jersey to this county at an early day and located in Mifflin Township, where he bought a farm, and died in 1852. His maternal grandfather, YEAGER, was a stanch Democrat, and took an active part in politics; served one term as commissioner of this county. Our subject‚s father was born in Mifflin Township, this county; moved to Locust Township in 1847, and purchased a farm in 1866, where he has since resided and is still engaged in agricultural pursuits. He is the father of two children: William B. and John W. Our subject was reared on a farm and received a liberal education. In 1882-83 he was clerk in the postoffice and store of Jacob YEAGER at Slabtown, and December 1, 1884, with his brother John, embarked in mercantile business, which he has since continued under the firm name of SNYDER Bros. They started on a small scale, but their business soon increased, when they were obliged to seek more roomy quarters. They recently finished a fine two-story building, 26x32, with glass front in store-room, erected at an expense of $2,000. The Messrs. SNYDER are enterprising young men, and deserve great credit for their manner of conducting business. William B. was married to Ida J. COOL December 1, 1886. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 498)


Solomon STRAUSER, farmer, P.O. Roaring Creek, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., August 15, 1825; a son of Peter and Mary ADAMS) STRAUSER, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His grandfather, Casper ADAMS, came from Germany, settled in Northumberland County, where he bought a large tract of land, and followed farming all his life near Elysburg. Our subject‚s father was born in Berks County, Penn., and while young went to Northumberland county, where he followed farming a number of years. In 1834 he removed to where our subject now resides, bought 100 acres of land, to which he afterward added, and there lived until his death in 1856. He was the father of ten children, four of whom are living: Mary, Solomon, Levina and Peter. Our subject was reared on the farm; at the age of twenty-three married and moved to Slabtown, where he worked by the day for one year. After his father‚s death he bought the farm of 111 acres and moved on it, where he has since lived. He married, August 15, 1847, Louisa HELWIG, who has borne him eleven children, seven of whom are living: David, John, Nathaniel, Sarah (wife of Richard ADAMS), Elias, Harney and Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. STRAUSER are members of the church. He served as overseer of the poor and has been supervisor eight years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 498)


Elias H. WHITNER, merchant, Newlin, was born in Roaringcreek Township, this county, march 28, 1853; a son of John and Catherine (HELWIG) WHITNER, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His great-grandfather, who was a minister of the gospel, came from Germany. His grandfather, Abraham, was born in Berks County and came to Columbia County about 1810. He was one of the earliest settlers in Roaringcreek Township, where he bought a tract of land and remained engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death. He at one time was a large land-owner, having what now constitutes three farms. Our subject‚s father was born in Roaringcreek Township, in 1827, and was reared to farming. After the death of his father he came into possession of the old homestead, which he still retains. He is the father of three children: Mary, wife of Cornelius FELTERMAN; Elias H., and Sarah, wife of John D. REINBOLD. He and wife are members of the Reformed Church. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until sixteen years of age, after which he spent his time in teaching and attending school and various other avocations, until the spring of 1881. He then engaged in mercantile business at Millgrove, in partnership with O. W. CHERINGTON, and thus continued until the spring of 1883, when Mr. WHITNER sold his interest to his partner and started in mercantile business for himself at Newlin, which he has since followed. He carries a general stock valued at $3,500, insured. He married, April 8, 1880, Flora E. CHERINGTON, who has borne him four children, two of whom are living: Lulu and Claudia. Mr. and Mrs. WHITNER are members of the Reformed and Methodist Episcopal Churches, respectively. He is postmaster at Newlin, having been appointed June 20, 1884, the office having been established July 12, of the same year. He owns the building in whieh [sic] he has his store and residence. It is a two-story structure, erected at a cost of $2,000. Mr. WHITNER is an enterprising gentleman, courteous and genial, and enjoys a good trade. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 498-9)


Dr. J.C. WINTERSTEEN, physician and surgeon, Numidia, was born in Mifflinville, this county, May 8, 1862, a son of Joseph O. and Lydia (WOLF) WINTERSTEEN, natives of Pennsylvania, and of Scotch-German descent. His grandfather, Robert, was born in Scotland, came to this country when a young man and settled in New Jersey, where he lived until his marriage. He then moved to Columbia County, Penn., and settled in Mifflin Township, where he resided until his death. He and his wife are both buried in Mifflinville Cemetery. Our subject‚s father learned blacksmithing when about fourteen years of age, and has since followed that trade. He built a shop and residence in Mifflinville, where he has lived for about sixty years. In connection with his trade he also attends to auctioneering. To him and his wife twelve children were born, nine now living: Dora, wife of Jeremiah MAURY; Jordan; Laura; Lloyd, an attorney at Bloomsburg; Susan, wife of Dr. I. A. FETEROLF, residing in Mazeppa, Union County; Mattie C., wife of W. C. HARTSELL; Rush G., husband of Nan SCHWEPPENHEISER; John C., married to Fannie A. SHUMAN, and Minnie A. The deceased are Fannie, William H. and Warren H. Our subject was reared in Mifflinville, where he attended the schools until nineteen years of age. He then read medicine under Dr. J. L. SHUMAN, of Wapwallopen, and after his death his preceptor was Dr. B. F. GARDNER, of Bloomsburg. In the fall of 1864 he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated in the spring of 1886. In April of the same year he bought the practice of G. V. MEANS of Numidia, and is just now establishing himself as a practicing physician and surgeon, for which profession he is well qualified. November 26, 1883, he was married to Fannie, daughter of George A. and Mary A. (YOST) SHUMAN. Dr. and Mrs. WINTERSTEEN are parents of two children: Fred B. and George A. The Doctor is a member of the I.O.O.F. Mrs. WINTERSTEEN is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 499)


Obediah YOCUM, farmer, P.O. Elysburgh, was born in Roaringcreek Township, this county, September 8, 1848, a son of Elijah and Jane (CAMPBELL ) YOCUM, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. (For ancestral history see sketches of Elijah L. and E. Yocum.) At the age of twenty-one our subject married and settled where he now resides and where he has since remained, and owns 150 acres of land. He married Johanna, daughter of James and Hannah HILE. Mr. and Mrs. YOCUM are the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are still living: Daisy E., John W., Ezra E., William Alven, Claude C., Raymond E. and Henry Hile. Mr. and Mrs. YOCUM are members of the United Brethren Church; he has been a member of the school board one term, and was elected and served one term, in 1885, as constable. In politics he is a Democrat. Our subject is descended from an old and prominent family of the county. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 499)


Ezariah YOCUM, farmer, P.O. Bear Gap, was born in Roaringcreek Township, this county, February 8, 1851, a son of Elijah and Jane (CAMPBELL) YOCUM, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. Elijah‚s maternal grandfather, McINTYRE, first settled in what is now Catawissa Township, on the place now owned by E.M. TEWKSBURY, and known as the McINTYRE farm. He was one of the first settlers of the county, the Indians being quite numerous at that time, and died in Roaringcreek Township. Elijah, subject‚s father, a farmer and lumberman, moved into Locust Township about 1855, and settled where his son, E.L., now resides, and owned over 1,000 acres, which he divided before his death. Mr. YOCUM was a man of great business capacity, and died in 1881, the father of ten children, six living: Joanna, wife of Phineas THOMAS; Sarah, wife of John JOHNSON; Obediah; Ezariah; John and Elijah L. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until twenty-two years of age when he married and settled down where he now resides. He owns 336 acres of land, of which about one-half is under cultivation. Mr. YOCUM has made nearly all the improvements on his farm, and built a large two and one-half story frame house in 1876, which is one of the finest residences in the place. He married in 1873, Joanna HUMMEL, and four children were born to them: Samuel C., Ester J., Laura B. and Emma D. Mr. and Mrs. YOCUM are members of St. Paul‚s United Brethren Church. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 499-500)


Elijah L. YOCUM, farmer, P.O. Elysburgh, was born in Locust Township, this county, July 31, 1859, a son of Elijah and Jane (CAMPBELL) YOCUM, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His grandfather first settled in what is now Catawissa Township, this county, on what is known as the McINTYRE farm, and was one of the first settlers of this section. Elijah, our subject‚s father, was at one time a large land owner, having about 1,500 acres of land. He was engaged in farming and lumbering and was one of the most successful men in the county in business affairs. He owned two saw-mills, and sometimes had steam saw-mills on his place. He died January 19, 1882, the father of ten children: Elizabeth (deceased), Johanna, Jesse (deceased), Caleb (deceased), Sarah, Obediah, Ezariah, John C, an infant unnamed (deceased) and Elijah L. The mother of this family is yet living and resides with her son, Elijah L. Our subject remained with his parents until his marriage, then resided with his mother until the death of his father, and now lives on the old homestead consisting of 175 acres. Mr. YOCUM has a finely improved place and is an industrious citizen. He married, December 24, 1879, Sarah J. YOST, and one child has blessed their union, William E. Mrs. YOCUM is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. YOCUM is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 500)


Nicholas A. YOCUM, of the firm of YOCUM & Brother, merchants, P.O. Bear Gap, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., September 6, 1854, a son of Peter M. and Eliza G. (GILGER) YOCUM, natives of Northumberland County, and of German descent. His grandfather, GILGER, a farmer, came from Germany and settled in Northumberland County. Our subject‚s father, Peter, was a farmer during the greater part of his life, and was also engaged in mercantile business a few years, but is now living a retired life. His wife died August 5, 1881. Our subject was reared on the farm on which he worked (except two years spent at painting) until 1881, when he engaged in mercantile business with H. M. YOCUM, which partnership still continues. He married, February 4, 1882, Clarissa J. THOMAS. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal and United Brethren Churches, respectively. In politics he is a Republican.

Henry M. YOCUM, of the above named firm, was born in Northumberland County, Feb. 19, 1845, a son of Peter M. and Eliza G. (GILGER) YOCUM. Our subject was reared on the farm, where he remained until eighteen years of age. In 1863 he enlisted in the State militia, and served about four months; in March, 1864, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war under Capt. A. B. BROWN, of Danville. He participated in a number of battles, among them Cold Harbor and front of Petersburg, the most of his army life being passed in Virginia and West Virginia. At three miles west of Petersburg his company went in with fifty-six men and came out with twenty-two. He was mustered out July 9, 1865, returned home and remained on the farm about five years. In 1870 he began clerking for Peter YOCUM, with whom he remained eight years. he then farmed two more years, and in 1881, in partnership with his brother, Nicholas, bought the store of Peter YOCUM and engaged in mercantile business. They carry a general stock, valued at about $2,800, and have a large and increasing trade. Our subject was married, December 25, 1865, to Mary A. BROFEE, who has borne him six children: Elsie, Ida, Wesley, Kimber, Curtis and Bessie E. Mr. and Mrs. YOCUM are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican; was elected justice of the peace in 1880, and held that office five years. The mother of Mrs. YOCUM came from Philadelphia and her father from Ireland. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 500)


Daniel YODER, farmer, P.O. Roaringcreek, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., July 13, 1847, a son of Abraham and Catherine (TROUTMAN) YODER, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His father‚s great-grandfather came from Germany and settled in Berks County, where he resided several years and then moved to Schuylkill County, bought a tract of land, farmed and kept the old tavern at Mount Pleasant, but later left the place and went to Delaware County, Ohio, where he died. He never received anything for the farm he left, which was afterward taken up by other parties who discovered coal on it, and it became a valuable property. Our subject‚s father was born in Berks County, but spent the greater part of his life in Schuylkill County. He owned several properties and in early life followed lumbering and teaming. In 1867 he came to this county and settled in Locust Township near the foot of the Little Mountain, where he bought some mountain land, and resided until his death in July, 1880. He was the father of eleven children, eight living: Aaron, who served in the civil war and lost a limb; Daniel, Samuel, Hannah, Leah, Rachel, Elizabeth and Susan. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until twenty-two, when he went west, visiting Iowa and other Western States and was absent about six months. A year after his return he settled in Frackville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., on land belonging to him, where he resided about five years following the lumber business. In 1875 he bought the farm where he now resides, and which consists of 106 acres of good land. He has made a great many improvements and built a barn 35x75 feet. He was married, September 17, 1871, to Sarah A. LONG, and they are the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living: Sylvester, Esther, Daniel L., Abraham, Joseph, Wellington and Rachel C. Mr. and Mrs. YODER are members of the German Reformed Church as are also Sylvester and Esther. Our subject served two years as superintendent of the Lutheran Reformed Sunday-school Ųa union school. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 500-1)


Dr. Pius ZIMMERMAN, physician and surgeon, Numidia, was born in Mifflin Township, Columbia Co., Penn., November 9, 1854, a son of Jeremiah and Clarissa ((MILLER) ZIMMERMAN, natives of Wurtemberg, Germany. Before coming to this country his father traveled through France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Australia, working at his trade, and in 1850 took passage in a sailing vessel at Hanover, Germany, and came direct to new York, where he remained about one year, working at his trade. While there he met the lady who afterward became his wife, and who came to this country in 1851. He went from New York to Philadelphia, where he worked at his trade about one year and then took a trip to Mifflinville, and remained some time buying property and making arrangements to build. He then returned to New York, where he married, and with his wife came to Mifflinville, and here remained until the spring of 1867. They then moved to Ringtown, Schuykill[sic] Co., Penn., where he now resides engaged in harness business. He was three times drafted during the civil war; the first time into the nine months‚ service, and had proceeded as far as Harrisburg, when he was taken ill and removed to his home., receiving a certificate from the physician. He lay about one year before recovering, and was again drafted, but paid his quota; the third time he prepared to leave for the field, but the war closed before he was called. Our subject was reared to the saddler‚s trade, and attended school during the winter until he was eighteen. He then taught seven winter and two summer terms. He read medicine about two years before he entered the medical college, his preceptor being Dr. H. D. RETCHLER. In the fall of 1880 he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated April 2, 1883. The following October he established himself as a practicing physician and surgeon at Numidia, where he has since continued. He enjoys the confidence of the people and has a large practice. He is a pleasant, genial and courteous gentleman. He was married December 1, 1885, to Lillie, daughter of Wellington and Sarah (HURST) YEAGER. In politics the Doctor is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 501)


James T. FOX, dentist and representative elect of Columbia County, Beaver Valley, was born in Greenwood Township, Columbia County, July 2, 1847, a son of Daniel and Jane (MORRIS) FOX. His grandfather, Jacob FOX, came from Berks County, Penn., settled in Catawissa Township and there lived until his death. His great-grandfathers came from England and Scotland, respectively. Our subject‚s father was a farmer and teacher, following the former occupation in summer and the latter in winter; he died in August, 1849, and his widow in March, 1878; the former is buried in Greenwood Township and the latter in Bloomsburg. Our subject lived in Greenwood Township until he was five years of age, when he removed with his mother to Hemlock Township, where they resided nearly two years, moving thence to Jerseytown and afterward to Millville. He attended school at Jerseytown, and on moving to Millville, completed a course at the Millville Seminary. On leaving school he commenced to study dentistry; then practiced dentistry in summer and taught school in winter until 1880, since which time he has turned his entire attention to dentistry. His practice extends over all the country on the south side of the river and into a portion of Luzerne and Schuylkill Counties, and he is considered master of his profession. He has been a member of the County Democratic Committee, and has served as tax collector, assessor, auditor, justice of the peace eight years and school director a number of times. He moved to Beaver Township in 1866 and has been a resident of the same since June, 1871. He received the nomination as representative of the Democratic party in the Legislature July 27, 1886, and was elected by 2,351 majority. Mr. FOX married in this county, June 10, 1871, Lydia Ann FISHER, a native of this county, a daughter of John and Sarah FISHER, former deceased, latter residing in Beaver Township. Mr. and Mrs. FOX are the parents of six children: Minnie Elmerta, Fannie Adora, John C., Sarah E., Mary R. and Elsie J. The family attend the services of the Reformed Lutheran Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369)


Levi MICHAEL, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Berks County, Penn., March 5, 1833, a son of Manassah and Susannah (HOSSLER) MICHAEL. Adam MICHAEL, the grandfather, a native of Columbia County, was a farmer and kept hotel in the house now occupied by Charles MICHAEL, near Singley‚s store, until his death in 1841. His widow died several years after, and both are buried in the family cemetery on the old homestead. Manassah MICHAEL lived with his parents until arriving at manhood, when he removed to Berks County, where he married and followed boating on the Schuylkill, having his own boat. He was engaged in the coal-carrying trade from the vicinity of Pottsville to Philadelphia until his death in December, 1838. He is buried in MICHAEL‚s Church Cemetery, Barn Township, Berks County. About 1850 his widow and family removed to Columbia County, and located in Beaver Township, where she died February 16, 1884, and is buried in St. Peter‚s churchyard, in Beaver Township. They were the parents of four children, of whom three are living: Levi, our subject; Angeline, wife of Judge F. L. SHUMAN, residing at Catawissa; Manassah, a hotel-keeper at Pottsville; (William is deceased). When Levi was eighteen years of age the family moved to Columbia County, and here he has since resided. He worked by the month until 1862, also farmed a piece of land which he had purchased. He then went into the service of his country, and after returning clerked in the store of Judge F. L. SHUMAN for twelve years, and in 1878 started in business for himself. He handles a general stock valued at $1,500, besides plows, castings, etc., for farm use. He was married in this county, July 20, 1874, to Miss Emma Jane GEARHART, a native of this county and a daughter of Daniel and Eliza (SHUMAN) GEARHART, both members of early families and now residing at Shumantown. Mr. and Mrs. MICHAELS are the parents of five children: Harry Mannassah, Alfred Levi, George Walter, Gertie Enola and Lottie Ellen. Mr. and Mrs. MICHAEL are members of the Lutheran Church. He has held the office of judge of elections and overseer of the poor. In 1862 he enlisted in Company H, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, at Pottsville, and proceeded to Harrisburg, where he was mustered; his regiment was connected with Sheridan‚s cavalry and took part in the campaigns of those famous troopers until the close of the war. Mr. Michael was at Gettysburg. Spottsylvania Court House, all through the Wilderness, at Cold Harbor Chancellorsville, and in fact in most of the heavy engagements of the war, and took part in the operations which resulted in the fall of Richmond and surrender of Lee. He was discharged in August, 1865, at Clark‚s mill, Virginia, and returned home. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 371)


Samuel NUNGESSER, retired farmer, P.O. Beaver Valley, was born in Mifflin Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 25, 1818, a son of George and Barbara (SWANK) NUNGESSER. His grandparents came from one of the lower counties to Columbia and here the grandfather purchased a piece of land along the Ten Mile Creek, erected a grist-mill and being a miller operated it until his death in the early part of the present century. He is buried at Mifflinville, where his widow, who died about 1830, is also buried. George NUNGESSER was born in this county, where he followed farming until a few years before his death, in 1851. His wife preceded him by about fifteen years and both are buried at Mifflinville. Our subject was reared in Mifflin Township, and on arriving at manhood went to learn the blacksmith‚s trade with Christian LUTZ, of that township. He served two years and then worked at journey work for about eight years; then bought a lot in Mifflin Township; erected a blacksmith shop, which he conducted four or five years. He then went to Black Creek, Luzerne County, where he erected a large shop, which he operated about ten years; then bought a farm in Beaver Township, and carried it on until the spring of 1885, when he rented out his farm, bought a lot near McAuley‚s Station, and erected the house where he now resides. He married in Black Creek township, Luzerne County, April 2, 1848, Miss Mary TORNBACH, a native of Luzerne county, and daughter of Samuel and Mary (HILL) TORNBACH. She died in 1858 and is buried in Black Creek Township. By their marriage there were two children: Frances, married to William E. YAEGER and an infant who died at the age of four months. Mr. NUNGESSER married May 3, 1860, his present wife, Lydia, daughter of Peter and Veronica (SCHWEPPENHEISER) LONGENBERGER, both deceased, her father having died in the spring of 1876, and her mother in 1858; the former is buried at Ringtown Cemetery, and the latter at Mifflinville. Mr. and Mrs. NUNGESSER are the parents of one child, henry William, a telegrapher, who acquired his knowledge of the art at McAuley‚s Station, P. & R. R. R. Mr. NUNGESSER is a member of the Reformed Church, and Mrs. NUNGESSER of the Lutheran; both are descended from well known pioneer families of the county. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372)


Return to Biographies Page


PAGenWeb       PA USGenWeb Archives    USGenWeb