Chincleclamousche (Chincleclamoose) Township Original Township in Clearfield County, was was name of old Indian Village located in area about the time of the French and Indian War. In 1807, part of Chincleclamousche was divided into Bradford and Beccaria Township. In 1813, was divided into Lawrence and Pike Township, and Chincleclamousche ceased to be a recognized township.
Gibson Township Formed in 1817 from Lawrence Township, named for PA Supreme Court Justice John B. Gibson In 1843, the township was taken as part of Elk County, and is no longer a recognized township in Clearfield County. Jay Township Formed in 1832 from parts of Fox and Gibson Townships. Named in honor of Chief Justice Jay. A part of it was taken in the erection of Elk county in 1843, and the remaining parts were subsequently annexed to Huston and Lawrence townships.
Sinnamahoning Township Formed in Jan 1821. In April 1822 name was changed to Fox Township, who owned extensive land in the county. In 1868, the township was divided between Snyder Township, Jefferson County; another part to Horton township, Elk county, and the remaining part to Huston township Clearfield County.
Reading the chart from left to right, you can follow the creation of the townships, boroughs and villages. For example: from Beccaria Township the boroughs of Coalport, Glen Hope and Irvona were formed. A section of Beccaria Township was carved out to form Chest Township and so on.
Copyright © 2009 Ellis Michaels and contributors
Clearfield County PAGenWeb ©2023