USGenWeb > PAGenWeb > Clearfield County PAGenWeb >

 

 

Clearfield County PAGenWeb Project

Towns & Boroughs & Villages

Clearfield County, PA

 

printer friendly version

 

 

Clearfield County

  • Clearfield County was erected by an act of the Legislature, passed on the 26th day of March, 1804, out of Lycoming and Huntingdon Counties. At the same time, and by the same act, five other counties were created, viz.: Jefferson, McKean, Potter, Tioga, and Cambria.
  • Original Township was called Chincleclamousche, and encompassed the entire county

 

Townships no longer in existence

 

 

Chincleclamousche (Chincleclamoose) Township

  • Original Township in Clearfield County, was name of old Indian Village located in area about the time of the French and Indian War. 
  • In 1807, part of Chincleclamousche was divided into Bradford and Beccaria Township.
  • In 1813, was divided into Lawrence and Pike Township, and Chincleclamousche ceased to be a recognized township.

 

Gibson Township

  •  Formed in 1817 from Lawrence Township, named for PA Supreme Court Justice John B. Gibson
  • In 1843, the township was taken as part of Elk County, and is no longer a recognized township in Clearfield County.

Jay Township

  • Formed in 1832 from parts of Fox and Gibson Townships.  Named in honor of Chief Justice Jay.
  • A part of it was taken in the erection of Elk county in 1843, and the remaining parts were subsequently annexed to Huston and Lawrence townships

 

Sinnamahoning Township

  • Formed in Jan 1821.  In April 1822 name was changed to Fox Township, who owned extensive land in the county.
  • In 1868, the township was divided between Snyder Township, Jefferson County; another part to Horton township, Elk county, and the remaining part to Huston township Clearfield County

 


 

Current Townships,

with their known Boroughs and Villages

 

Chart showing Township Formations

 

 

 

Beccaria Township

  • formed by court decree in 1807.  Named for Marquis de Beccaria, a distinguished philosopher.
  • Blain City
  • Coalport Borough incorporated 24 Sep 1883
  • Diehltown
  • Frankhurst
  • Glen Hope Borough incorporated 28 Jun 1880
  • Hegarty Crossroads
  • Heverly
  • Irvona Borough incorporated 02 Sep 1890
  • Lyleville
  • Mt. Pleasant
  • New London
  • Rosebud
  • Utahville (Old Mt. Pleasant)

Bell Township

  • formed in 1835  from Pike and Chest Townships
  • Bellnap
  • Bethlehem
  • Clover Run
  • Mahaffey Borough incorporated 11 May 1880
  • McGees Mill
  • Middleton
  • Newtonburg
  • Ostend
  • Rowles

Bigler Township

  • formed 1881 from Woodward, Beccaria, Knox, and Geulich Townships.  Named in honor of William Bigler, Governor of Pennsylvania
  • Amesville
  • Atlantic
  • Banian
  • Belsena Mills
  • Betz
  • Beulah
  • Blackburn
  • Booker
  • Chesterfield
  • Madera
  • Smoke Run
  • Tubs Crossing

Bloom Township

  • formed in 1860 from Penn, Pike, Union  & Brady Townships
  • Bilger Rocks
  • Bloom
  • Chestnut Grove
  • Glendale
  • Greenville
  • Laborde
  • Packersville

Boggs Township

  • believed to have been erected in 1838
  • Blue Ball
  • Faunce
  • Krebs
  • Spring Valley
  • Stoneville
  • Wallacetown Borough incorporated Mar 1873
  • West Decatur

Bradford Township

  • originally part of Chicleclamousche Township, was erected in 1807.  Named for Surveyor-General William Bradford
  • Barrett
  • Bigler
  • Bishtown
  • Clearfield Junction
  • Dale
  • Egypt
  • Graham
  • Mineral Springs
  • Needful
  • Pine Top
  • Pleasant Valley
  • Shiloh
  • Woodland

Brady Township

  • Township was organized in 1826.  Named for Capt. Samuel Brady
  • C & M Junction
  • Helvetia
  • Luthersburg
  • Salem
  • Stanley
  • Troutville Borough incorporated 04 May 1891

Burnside Township

  • Formed in 1835 from Chest Township.  Was originally to be named Cherry Township, but instead was named after Judge Thomas Burnside
  • Burnside Borough incorporated 05 Oct 1874
  • Cherry Tree
  • Cush Creek Junction
  • Dowler Junction
  • Harmony
  • New Washington Borough was incorporated 13 Apr 1859
  • Patchinville
  • Stifflertown
  • Sylvis

 

Chest Township

  • formed in 1826 from Beccaria & Pike Townships
  • Comfort Run
  • McGarvey
  • McPherron
  • Thompsontown
  • Waukesha (Five Points)
  • Welshdale
  • Westover Borough incorporated 06 Sep 1895

Clearfield Borough

  • was laid out in 1805, but not incorporated until April 21, 1840 from Lawrence Township.  Was part of original Chincleclamousche Township until 1813.

Cooper Township

  • Formed Jan 1884 from Morris Township.  Named for Daniel Cooper, an early settler.
  • Cooper Settlement
  • Drain Lick
  • Drifting
  • Forest
  • Grassflat
  • Huckenberry
  • Knox Run
  • Kylertown
  • Lanse
  • Munson
  • Peale
  • Pleasant Hill
  • Sylvan Grove
  • Viaduct
  • Winburne

Covington Township

  • Formed in 1817 from Lawrence Township
  • Frenchville
  • Guenot Settlement
  • Keewaydin
  • Mowry
  • Mount Pleasant
  • Rolling Stone

Decatur Township

  • formed 1828 from Bradford Township
  • Ashland
  • Burly
  • Beaverton
  • Chester Hill Borough incorporated 18 Apr 1883
  • Coal Run Junction
  • Decaurtville
  • Donegal
  • Drane
  • Gearhartville
  • Goss Run Junction
  • Graham
  • Hudson
  • Morgan Run
  • Moshannon
  • New Castle
  • New Liberty
  • Newtown
  • Osceola Mills Borough incorporated 27 Sep 1864
  • Parsonville
  • Pleasant Hill
  • Scotch Hollow
  • Stumptown
  • Victor

Du Bois Borough

  • incorporated in January 1881 from Sandy Township

Ferguson Township

  • formed Feb 1839 from Pike, Penn and Jordan Townships.  Named for John Ferguson, an early settler
  • Gazzam
  • Kerrmoor
  • Lumber City Borough incorporated 21 Aug 1858
  • Marron
  • Newburg Borough incorporated 04 Oct 1875
  • Olanta

Girard Township

  • Formed about 1832
  • Bald Hill
  • Congress Hill
  • Coudley
  • Frenchville Station
  • Gallows Harbor
  • Gillingham
  • Lecontes Mill
  • Surveyor
  • Walton

Goshen Township

  • formed in 1845 from Lawrence and Girard Townships
  • Croft
  • Eden
  • Goshen
  • Huntley
  • Lick Run
  • Shawville

Graham Township

  • formed 1856 from Bradford and Morris Townships.  Named for James B. Graham, an early settler
  • Fairview
  • Grahamtown
  • Palestine
  • Sington

Greenwood Township

  • formed in 1875 from Bell, Ferguson, and Penn  Townships.  Was originally to be names Hoyt in honor of John P. Hoyt, but was named Greenwood instead.
  • Belleville
  • Bells Landing
  • Bower
  • Camp Corbly
  • Cherry Corner
  • Curry Run
  • Hoyt Station
  • Johnson's
  • Lewisville

Gulich Township

  • formed 1858 from Beccaria Township.  Named for Father Peter Geulich, a well known early settler
  • Allemansville
  • Almaden
  • Fernwood
  • Ginter
  • Janesville
  • Morann
  • Ramey Borough incorporated 29 Mar 1893
  • Smith Mills Post Office
  • Viola
  • Waltzvale

Huston Township

  • Organized in 1839
  • Gobbler Knob
  • Hollywood
  • Hoovertown
  • Mill Run
  • Mount Pleasant
  • Penfield
  • Run Mill
  • Tyler
  • Winterburn

Jordan Township

  • formed from Beccaria Township in 1834.  Named for Hugh Jordan, an associate judge for Clearfield County
  • Ansonville
  • Berwinsdale
  • Bretonville
  • Carnwath
  • Gazzam
  • Mayes
  • McCartney
  • Morgans Land

Karthaus Township

  • formed in 1841 from Covington Township.  Named for P. A. Karthaus, Esq.
  • Belford
  • Cataract
  • Karthaus
  • Oak Hill
  • Piper
  • Pottersdale
  • Salt Lick
  • Three Runs

Knox Township

  • formed 1854 from Jordan, Pike, and Ferguson Townships.  Named after the president of the Clearfield Court
  • Boardman
  • Carnwath
  • Erhard
  • Kellytown
  • Mitchell
  • New Millport
  • Oak Ridge
  • Oshanter Post Office
  • Potts Run Junction

Lawrence Township

  • formed from Chincleclamousche Township in 1813.
  • Bailey's Crossing
  • Baney Settlement
  • Clearfield Borough
  • Devling
  • Dimeling
  • Glen Richey
  • Golden Rod Farms
  • Hillsdale
  • Hyde
  • Kerr
  • Leonard
  • Moose Creek
  • Mount Hope
  • Mount Joy
  • Mount Zion
  • O'Shanter
  • Pine
  • Pine Grove
  • Plymptonville
  • Readsboro
  • Riverview
  • Susquehanna Bridge
  • Weaverhurst
  • West Clearfield Borough incorporated 24 Sep 1883, now part of Clearfield Borough
  • Wolf Run

Morris Township

  • Formed in 1836 from Bradford Township.  Named for Robert Morris, a Revolutionary Patriot.
  • Allport
  • Hawk Run
  • Morrisdale
  • Munson
  • Oak Grove
  • Pardee
  • Troy

Penn Township

  • Erected in 1835 from Pike Township.
  • Grampian Borough incorporated 30 Dec 1885
  • Grampian Hills
  • Hepburnia
  • Irishtown
  • Lumber City Borough
  • Pennville Borough incorporated 30 Dec 1885
  • Stronach
  • Walltown

Pike Township

  • Formed in 1813 when Chincleclamousche Township was divided.  Named after General Zebulon Pike, an officer during the War of 1812.
  • Bloomington
  • Bridgeport
  • Curwensville Borough was incorporated 03 Feb 1851
  • Olanta
  • Rustic

Pine Township

  • Formed 1873
  • Anderson Creek

Sandy Township

  • Formed in 1878 from Brady Township.  Named for Sandy Lick Creek, which flows through the township
  • Adrian Furnace
  • Brooks
  • Clear Run
  • Du Bois Borough incorporated 11 Jan 1881
  • DuBois City 23 Dec 1914
  • Eriton
  • Falls Creek Borough
  • Gelnett
  • Iselin Heights
  • Narrows Creek
  • Oklahoma
  • Sabula
  • Sandy
  • Shaffer
  • Treasure Lake
  • Wayne
  • West Liberty

Union Township

  • Formed 1848 from Pike and Brady Townships
  • Anderson
  • Home Camp
  • Rockton
  • Rockton Station
  • Smith Mills

Woodward Township

  • Form in 1846 from Decatur.  Named for Judge Woodward.
  • Brisbin Borough incorporated 08 Jan 1883
  • Hale
  • Henderson
  • Houtzdale Borough incorporated 20 Mar 1872
  • Jeffries
  • Kendrick
  • Pacific
  • Sanbourn
  • Sterling
  • West Moshannon
  • Whiteside

 

 

 

Copyright 2008 - 2009 Ellis Michaels and contributors